Funky Soul

As much as I love the man ..you must be talking about Sam in a big room playing it safe ,cos he has done his fair share of floor clearing in his time !

I don't think it's a case of clearing a floor, As I've been the only person dancing to Sam's set at one time, but people around listening in ore at tracks they have never come across before, sometimes it's hard to dance to something your hearing for the first time.

Social source share

I have to spend more time preparing for the revolution

That's twice youve mentioned the revolution Bob ,your starting to freak me out ..I hope Obama isn't planning to nuke the rest of the world and your not telling us ?

On 2nd thoughts ,I'd rather not know .lol

Social source share

Its a sad state of affairs mate....I would rather listen to this kind of exciting, soulful dance music than some of the pisch we get fobbed off with in the name of NS....when did some cut thier ears off & close thier minds, its so sad...I do appreciate other peoples opinions, but honestly some would call black white, just to prove a point, even if they loved some of the things posted, they would still deny it, cos they couldnt possible say they had been proved wrong....most aint got a clue anyway Tim....

Best Russ

Irrespective Russ, and whilst not being neither dismissive of your enthusiasm nor your taste in music, people vote with their feet....... and musical taste is personal :yes::thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Kinell Tezza ..confused ,perplexed ..please don't change your avatar anytime soon ,I'm having enough probs keeping up with your change of usernames let alone your posts ??

" I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure now " :)

:lol: :lol: ............yep........going a bit upmarket.........gordon r....a furniture designer of note.......but hey my posts will never confuse you lol :lol: :lol: .....methinks you know who kills it and who don,t :wicked:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Im off to bed....Ill just leave ya with a little more funky shite......

[media=]

This is the same as all of the rest of them, they're all okay, nothing wrong with them but you wouldn't make a special journey out to hear them. I like this but I'll have forgotten it in 10 minutes. This is just my opinion Russ.

Social source share

Personally prefer to hear a DJ that plays a mix of styles. Up here in Scotland I tend to place two or three funk edged tunes in with the others. Last year while living in the states I went to a number of funk nights and really enjoyed them. Not sure what you lot are playing down south as I rarely get down or read playlists.

This YouTube clip is the sort of stuff I like (how to attach a Youtube link) Not sure you would call this pure funk but to me it's soulfull and not too funky. Each to there own though and I do get it that the funk stuff is more of an acquired taste and would not fit in a more traditional northern night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak9Q7k6nkWk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:lol: :lol: ............yep........going a bit upmarket.........gordon r....a furniture designer of note.......but hey my posts will never confuse you lol :lol: :lol:

Tez ..I once heard a quote " if you learn something new everyday ,you will die a rich man " ,so I thank you cos I've googled this and your last username Stig ,and confess i knew neither before seeing your posts :)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Tez ..I once heard a quote " if you learn something new everyday ,you will die a rich man " ,so I thank you cos I've googled this and your last username Stig ,and confess i knew neither before seeing your posts :)

Well even better.........l bought a lovely console table for nowt really (70's)..which is by gordon russell for heals don,t cha know ....+ it,s f**kin hard to type after 6 pints of sheford bitter and not get angry at posts lol :lol: :lol: burp!

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Maybe I'm just old school and want to hear about one of us hard done blokes getting fooked about by our Mrs. with a nice catchy beat :g:

Milf on Parker - men like it harder (in the closet )

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Personally prefer to hear a DJ that plays a mix of styles. Up here in Scotland I tend to place two or three funk edged tunes in with the others. Last year while living in the states I went to a number of funk nights and really enjoyed them. Not sure what you lot are playing down south as I rarely get down or read playlists.

This YouTube clip is the sort of stuff I like (how to attach a Youtube link) Not sure you would call this pure funk but to me it's soulfull and not too funky. Each to there own though and I do get it that the funk stuff is more of an acquired taste and would not fit in a more traditional northern night.

[media=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak9Q7k6nkWk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the best way to describe a nighter that goes wrong in this matter is .....a petrol engine that all of a sudden has an injection of diesel lol

Social source share

Its a sad state of affairs mate....I would rather listen to this kind of exciting, soulful dance music than some of the pisch we get fobbed off with in the name of NS....

Russ, that's just black/white thinking. It seems that to you it's either up the funky soul road or down the crap-substandard-NS road? Is there anything in between for you?

I'm pretty open minded, always rather listening to newies/lesser known stuff than oldies. my ideal world of NS incorporates many different styles in black music. But funk isn't one of them. Period.

In the beginning 'new wave of funky soul' was quite refreshing and was really what it said on the tin, funky soul. John Harris, stuff like that. And the records were really good! But it seems that as dj's were struggling to find new stuff they went more and more down the funk road and ended up in funk country, no soul. And that's the stuff I think is sh*te. Another period.

Maybe you and everbody else who's championing funky soul should challenge yourself: Is it really still danceable soul music or is it funk?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is the same as all of the rest of them, they're all okay, nothing wrong with them but you wouldn't make a special journey out to hear them. I like this but I'll have forgotten it in 10 minutes. This is just my opinion Russ.

the other side ("girl you've changed") is way better imo

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bolox it's official I'm a funky souly kind of guy :-). Loving this big time

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

this one moves me to tears,incredible tune in my opinion,i understand its not really a dancers tune but blimey its jam packed with soul

jason

And just about on everybodys wants list mine included. What a friggin tune and I would dance to this all friggin night ........

Social source share

the other side ("girl you've changed") is way better imo

Ah ..you fell into the trap Bob :)

I knew you would say that ,and in turn confirm that you are softy at heart .

Akways preferring the best ballad or sweet side to the uptempo .

That is where two scenes collide .

You are indeed a real soul lover ,but the perspective if dancefloor is still the order of the day here in the uk .

Russ also posted the Mystiques -put out the fire ..but I would bet my wages that you prefer the flip ?

For what it's worth ,it is unquestionably more soul ful and also a great record ,but put out the fire is more popular because it commands a better response in a venue .

Social source share

And just about on everybodys wants list mine included. What a friggin tune and I would dance to this all friggin night ........

Tell you what. I agree. What a tune. Although I don't see it as dancefloor material.

NB: And not funk or even funky IMO. Just so soulful it hurts

Edited by Benji
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah ..you fell into the trap Bob :)

I didn't fall into any "trap", the other side is slower but still has a beat and is danceable. I do like the a-side of the mystiques better but i didn't say so in the thread because it's not a dance record.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Tell you what. I agree. What a tune. Although I don't see it as dancefloor material.

I will dance to any tempo if the tunes makes me nuts tingle and jangle lol and If Jimmy Bo Horne can fill a dance floor then this Benji should fill a venue alone, yeah I agree its hurtful soul indeed and tunes like this is what keeps me searching and listening to new tunes to me......

Social source share

[media=]

This track is just pure NS heaven .... anyone on the scene who don't like this just 'ain't got no soul in their old shoes'.

Only pity is that it seems any remaining 'spare' copies of the 45 went to the tip when the label owner's kids cleared their late parents house out.

Social source share

Mystiques - good (played for years so don't really know why it's been posted); Charlene - ok (same) but these records are not what I'm talking about.

Can't believe I'm even having to say that

Joan ..I think I understand you ..it's not the funky tinged soul records but the out and out funky tunes that have no soul whatsoever and belong on the funk scene full stop !

The out and out twangy guitars and heavy drum base type tunes ?

Social source share

I agree it is one helluva soulful record, brilliant, but like you I don't see it as a dancer.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I agree it is one helluva soulful record, brilliant, but like you I don't see it as a dancer.

for me anyone that feels soul and dances would find it impossible to not dance to this tune imho, if Butch was to slip this in a set the floor would be rammed me thinks and even better if someone has a copy for sale cheap sell it to me i promise to play it and play it and play it until peeps do frigging dance lolol

could be wrong though i normally am Chalky :lol:

Social source share

What's not danceable about the Fred Williams record? Sure, it's not a 100mph stomper but it most certainly is a dancer. Ask any of the 400 people who rammed the dancefloor to it at hamburg weekender last year when Marc Forrest dropped it right into the middle of a rawcus up tempo set, and again in Manchester recently - as many on the floor for that as any other time during the night, including the big soul niter spins.

Similar in a way to NS classics like Sam Fletcher (which usually fills floors) the tempo and vibe of this just builds and builds. It's do soulful it hurts, that's why it's a dancer.

Is it funk? Na, not in my view. Think it gets confused for a funk record because of the guitar work. But it would, and does, work on both the soul and funk scenes.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Interesting i'm not a fan of all the hard edged funk tunes that appeal to the Northern Soul crowd, but Sag Warfare is fabulous i remember hearing it in Germany, either Butch or Marc played it (?), that sort of tune works in the venues that i like (that feature mainly 70's tunes), i can't imagine funk edged things such as, Little Mary Staten, Charles Matthews (Village Choir ) working at Northern nighters to name but two, but those type of tunes are featured on 70's/Modernish nights (and are popular), i'm not a huge fan of the John Harris but i can see the Northern appeal. Then again Jack Jacobs is popular in the North West, i have it but i don't really like it after i played it through a few times.. The Manchester night that George M put on with the Ripolles brothers alongside Adam, Sami and Sam (think that was the line up ) was great a mixture of styles but featured mainly funk type tunes, i'd enjoy more nights like that a bit more idiosyncratic. Still feel it's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a venue that genuinely plays the full spectrum of black American music, i guess the history of the UK's soul scene won't allow that to happen, to diverse and people loyal to their own favoured styles, suppose the weekenders do have a selection but not in one room, fondly recall the first Lifeline weekender (plenty of 70's featured) perhaps as close as i've heard to true a across the board policy, but not enough modern for me..(LOL)... Too be honest i think my own personal music taste, is quite varied i don't think i'd ever be fully happy, i love the Jazz, Latin edged sets that Gavin Page sometimes plays at Soul Essence, but it isn't for everyone...I enjoy this forum but i realise its more Northern flavoured and at times i feel on the outside of a lot of these topics.

Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Sam played an awesome tune in the Modern room at Cleethorpes by a group called 'Third Eye', prefaced by a comment that he'd played it in the main room the night before (5 am'ish), but that it should be played in any room that prided itself on playing Soul music (or words to that effect). I love stuff like Angela Davis but can understand folk baulking at a whole set's worth of that sort of stuff, if only for the frantic pace of a lot of it. People aren't as nimble as they were, unless they're propping themselves pharmaceutically, of course. ;-)

Social source share

Sam played an awesome tune in the Modern room at Cleethorpes by a group called 'Third Eye', prefaced by a comment that he'd played it in the main room the night before (5 am'ish), but that it should be played in any room that prided itself on playing Soul music (or words to that effect). I love stuff like Angela Davis but can understand folk baulking at a whole set's worth of that sort of stuff, if only for the frantic pace of a lot of it. People aren't as nimble as they were, unless they're propping themselves pharmaceutically, of course. ;-)

Cosmos Universal Band. It has been around a few years now. Sure it has been reissued by Jazzman?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Other than the ones most people seem to agree on as listed so far, and when I say agree I mean acknowledge that the song is soulful with a funk influence/edge/undertone, what about listing the ones that are out and out funk/blacksploitation.

One that comes to mind.........

Not soul in my book, it's funk, but seemingly accepted to a lot of folk on the soul scene because some of the big boys played it

Social source share

What's not danceable about the Fred Williams record? Sure, it's not a 100mph stomper but it most certainly is a dancer. Ask any of the 400 people who rammed the dancefloor to it at hamburg weekender last year when Marc Forrest dropped it right into the middle of a rawcus up tempo set, and again in Manchester recently - as many on the floor for that as any other time during the night, including the big soul niter spins.

Similar in a way to NS classics like Sam Fletcher (which usually fills floors) the tempo and vibe of this just builds and builds. It's do soulful it hurts, that's why it's a dancer.

Is it funk? Na, not in my view. Think it gets confused for a funk record because of the guitar work. But it would, and does, work on both the soul and funk scenes.

I don't need to ask anyone, it ain't a dancer IMO, I'm big enough and been around long enough to form an opinion myself without the need to go and ask someone else. There's plenty of records that ooze soul, loads deep stuff, just cause it has soul doesn't make it a dancer.

I agree it ain't funk, just soul.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Other than the ones most people seem to agree on as listed so far, and when I say agree I mean acknowledge that the song is soulful with a funk influence/edge/undertone, what about listing the ones that are out and out funk/blacksploitation.

One that comes to mind.........

[media=]

Not soul in my book, it's funk, but seemingly accepted to a lot of folk on the soul scene because some of the big boys played it

yep i agree its Funk to me but i do like it :thumbup:

Social source share

I don't need to ask anyone, it ain't a dancer IMO, I'm big enough and been around long enough to form an opinion myself without the need to go and ask someone else. There's plenty of records that ooze soul, loads deep stuff, just cause it has soul doesn't make it a dancer.

I think the record is great, but if I was sitting down, it just wouldn't make me jump up to dance, the structure is wrong IMO

• Helpful 1
Social source share

O.K as the question has been asked (chalky).........lets be having you all.........who's playing sets of this stuff?

As per usual........we all know who plays it........we all know who kills it.........but hey....lets keep saying they're top people (which mostly they are) and we love their stuff........which on the night is a universal "no we don,t".........soul source never changes in this respect....we wanna moan,but we just can,t say what we're moaning about and who's causing it (although we know)

For f***s sake Terry why don't you just tell us who, in your opinion, these people are because the snide 'we know but aren't saying' comments are getting very boring, repetitive and pointless.

I have played sets that are mainly 'funk' and will continue to do so. I've also played sets with no funk in them and will continue to do so. But I don't consider myself to be a 'northern soul' DJ, never have and never will.

In regards to the Gloria Barnes track posted by Russ....it's brilliant and is def available on 45.

post-4964-0-31240100-1341664412_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

For f***s sake Terry why don't you just tell us who, in your opinion, these people are because the snide 'we know but aren't saying' comments are getting very boring, repetitive and pointless.

I have played sets that are mainly 'funk' and will continue to do so. I've also played sets with no funk in them and will continue to do so. But I don't consider myself to be a 'northern soul' DJ, never have and never will.

In regards to the Gloria Barnes track posted by Russ....it's brilliant and is def available on 45.

post-4964-0-31240100-1341664412_thumb.jp

Your fault Adam you funky tone deaf monkey just be a northern soul dj will you and ktf brother

Social source share

Fair enough to say that you don't consider it a dancer Chalky as it's all about personal taste. But, IMO when a record gets played and the dancefloor is full of people dancing to it, surely by definition that means the record is a dancer??

Social source share

[media=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak9Q7k6nkWk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers for posting that youtube video, brilliant track to my ears :thumbsup:

Social source share

Your fault Adam you funky tone deaf monkey just be a northern soul dj will you and ktf brother

It usually is my fault Bearsy but in my defence.....I'm a tone deaf monkey :wink::D. I like a record purely because I like it and don't care if it's tagged as funk, soul, RnB, 70s or northern......as an old mate used to say 'there's only two kind of records...good ones and bad ones'.

I can't keep the faith though mate cos I've never had it.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

It usually is my fault Bearsy but in my defence.....I'm a tone deaf monkey :wink::D. I like a record purely because I like it and don't care if it's tagged as funk, soul, RnB, 70s or northern......as an old mate used to say 'there's only two kind of records...good ones and bad ones'.

I can't keep the faith though mate cos I've never had it.

You have no defence Adam you've been found guilty by the soul police god rest your funk :-)

Social source share

Fair enough to say that you don't consider it a dancer Chalky as it's all about personal taste. But, IMO when a record gets played and the dancefloor is full of people dancing to it, surely by definition that means the record is a dancer??

Depends what time it is. Certain times when everyone off their tits you can play anything and they will dance, especially oversees. Play it over here at an all-nighter and I bet it clears the floor at 4am in the morning. Don't get me wrong Adam, I think the record is fantastic, just I guess we have different ideas of what a dance record is.

Social source share

Depends what time it is. Certain times when everyone off their tits you can play anything and they will dance, especially oversees. Play it over here at an all-nighter and I bet it clears the floor at 4am in the morning. Don't get me wrong Adam, I think the record is fantastic, just I guess we have different ideas of what a dance record is.

It's a brilliant record Chalky, though to be fair it's not what I usually would consider a 'dancer' but if it fills the floor then it's hard to call it anything else. At a nighter in this country at 4am the floor clears to pretty much anything that isn't a well known classic. Which sadly says it all.

Social source share

You have no defence Adam you've been found guilty by the soul police god rest your funk :-)

The soul police have no jurisdiction over my soulless arse so they can go back to their little cave and congratulate each other on how good a job they're doing of boring the hell out of us all :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!