Funky Soul

And droppin it down a little, but every much as awesome....my god, if you dont like or cant dance to this your feckin dead, pretty much like the NS Scene really.......

Fantastic Soul record Russ - I would love to hear this played out and about.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

For f***s sake Terry why don't you just tell us who, in your opinion, these people are because the snide 'we know but aren't saying' comments are getting very boring, repetitive and pointless.

I have played sets that are mainly 'funk' and will continue to do so. I've also played sets with no funk in them and will continue to do so. But I don't consider myself to be a 'northern soul' DJ, never have and never will.

In regards to the Gloria Barnes track posted by Russ....it's brilliant and is def available on 45.

post-4964-0-31240100-1341664412_thumb.jp

The reason l will not post anyones name is simple.......not my place to......for a long time i,ve said it as it is good and bad....and whilst umpteen folk agree with me out and about.....a lot would rather not on here and these days this is my stance.The reason l asked the question is while penty like to debate,give opinion,like and dislike....they still would rather not say....fair enough say l.....however when venues lose their attendance because folk would rather not say why.......then we're all losers l guess :thumbsup:

Social source share

Cheers

Manus

I go the opposite way - if this stuff was played at Northern Soul venues I'd never go again. It's an alright record but to me, it's not Northern. Play it elsewhere, fine.

(Having listened to all of it, it's just so boring I couldn't face listening to it again)

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I go the opposite way - if this stuff was played at Northern Soul venues I'd never go again. It's an alright record but to me, it's not Northern. Play it elsewhere, fine.

(Having listened to all of it, it's just so boring I couldn't face listening to it again)

Different strokes - for me I'd much rather hear records like Harvey Scales than some of the records I hear when I go out. For instance records like Tony Galla ,which I consider a novelty popcorn record, make me cringe and are light years away from what I understand as Soul music - but other people like stuff like that so fair enough.

Social source share

It's a brilliant record Chalky, though to be fair it's not what I usually would consider a 'dancer' but if it fills the floor then it's hard to call it anything else. At a nighter in this country at 4am the floor clears to pretty much anything that isn't a well known classic. Which sadly says it all.

I've never seen it fill the floor in this country, no matter what time it is played. It is this country we are essentially discussing though, we aren't in Berlin or anywhere else...unfortunately. Oversees they have a different mentality, they dance even when they have never heard a record before, they don't care. Neither do they have the baggage we have, that was Wigan, Stafford, Torch, oldie, newie and so on. For the majority here a record has to be from a certain place and time the majority of the time, what they grew up with essentially. Many oversees are young and just growing up with the music really.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Oversees they have a different mentality, they dance even when they have never heard a record before, they don't care.

Just because a record came on that you didn't know wasn't a reason to get off the dance floor - no matter the venue in the UK. With my match box sized knowledge of Northern Soul 45s, I'm still dancing to records I don't know over here in Amsterdam and will carry on doing so as long as my little legs will allow. :D:thumbup:

Social source share

Different strokes - for me I'd much rather hear records like Harvey Scales than some of the records I hear when I go out. For instance records like Tony Galla ,which I consider a novelty popcorn record, make me cringe and are light years away from what I understand as Soul music - but other people like stuff like that so fair enough.

I'd dance to it, but I don't really see how it's classed as funk, or is it not?

To be fair, I'd also dance to Tony Galla as well :)

Social source share

I've never seen it fill the floor in this country, no matter what time it is played. It is this country we are essentially discussing though, we aren't in Berlin or anywhere else...unfortunately. Oversees they have a different mentality, they dance even when they have never heard a record before, they don't care. Neither do they have the baggage we have, that was Wigan, Stafford, Torch, oldie, newie and so on. For the majority here a record has to be from a certain place and time the majority of the time, what they grew up with essentially. Many oversees are young and just growing up with the music really.

Been saying this for years, with no allegiances to any particular club or style, you just judge the record on it's merits, but I don't think that's generally a British mentality.

Social source share

Just because a record came on that you didn't know wasn't a reason to get off the dance floor - no matter the venue in the UK. With my match box sized knowledge of Northern Soul 45s, I'm still dancing to records I don't know over here in Amsterdam and will carry on doing so as long as my little legs will allow. :D:thumbup:

It is very difficult over here to get them dancing to unknowns the first time. They have to be comfortable dancing. :(

Social source share

The reason l will not post anyones name is simple.......not my place to......for a long time i,ve said it as it is good and bad....and whilst umpteen folk agree with me out and about.....a lot would rather not on here and these days this is my stance.The reason l asked the question is while penty like to debate,give opinion,like and dislike....they still would rather not say....fair enough say l.....however when venues lose their attendance because folk would rather not say why.......then we're all losers l guess :thumbsup:

Terry, if you've not got the balls to back up your comments about this mystery group of DJs then don't bother making the comments, as all you're doing is creating a sense of ill feeling and mistrust....which does more damage to venues than any of the DJs you think so little of ever will.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Exactly - different strokes - Tony Galla is an out and and Northern stormer, that's the music I got into (albeit many years before that was played) and that's what it should sound like. Uptempo Northern Soul. Sounds F*ck all like a popcorn record though :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest john s

Oversees they have a different mentality, they dance even when they have never heard a record before, they don't care. Neither do they have the baggage we have, that was Wigan, Stafford, Torch, oldie, newie and so on.

Bristol must be overseas then! :lol:

Social source share

Cheers

Manus

Edu played it at Movin on Barcelona and believe me Manus ,it sounded brilliant at a venue where people can dance and appreciate soul without getting tipsy :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Fair enough to say that you don't consider it a dancer Chalky as it's all about personal taste. But, IMO when a record gets played and the dancefloor is full of people dancing to it, surely by definition that means the record is a dancer??

maybe they're dancing against it and not to it, trying to survive while the record continues to play

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Edu played it at Movin on Barcelona and believe me Manus ,it sounded brilliant at a venue where people can dance and appreciate soul without getting tipsy :)

Andy Dyson played it out at several venues over here for a while, including those who where those who supposedly can dance and appreciate soul and it didn't work, no one hardly danced :( Shame as it is a great record.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd dance to it, but I don't really see how it's classed as funk, or is it not?

To be fair, I'd also dance to Tony Galla as well :)

I'd see at as just a great Soul record Winnie and just the sort of thing I like hearing and dancing too. I'd be quite happy to go to a venue that played both Harvey Scales and Tony Galla as I think it's almost impossible to go to any venue that plays records throughout that everybody is going to like - I accept that records are going to get played that aren't to my taste but as long as I hear some that are then I'm happy. I tend to get to venues early and if I hear 10 records over 6/7 hours or more that I don't like then that's fine.

All the best

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

Dance without getting tipsy that's me out then Nev lol

Love to go to Movin On - sounds like a great night

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Exactly - different strokes - Tony Galla is an out and and Northern stormer, that's the music I got into (albeit many years before that was played) and that's what it should sound like. Uptempo Northern Soul. Sounds F*ck all like a popcorn record though :lol:

Fair enough Pete - but my ears tell me Tony Galla isn't Soul, Northern Soul, Rare Soul or whatever - but we could argue forever what defines a Northern Soul record.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Terry, if you've not got the balls to back up your comments about this mystery group of DJs then don't bother making the comments, as all you're doing is creating a sense of ill feeling and mistrust....which does more damage to venues than any of the DJs you think so little of ever will.

As you very well know if l wanted to...l would........theres nowt out there for me to fear.However heres one i,ve heard twice play the most awful sets of heavy funk/funk type durge george mahood no reflection of him as a person (don,t know him) the sets l heard were of the type being talked of and they certainly cleared the floor on these occasions.......now time for others to say who they like or dislike,if they want to this thread means not a lot if they moan about or like a genre or,but will not come forward with some devotee dj,s of said genre at least so we know who we're talking about..........or is everyone playing it lol :):D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest john s

As you very well know if l wanted to...l would........theres nowt out there for me to fear.However heres one i,ve heard twice play the most awful sets of heavy funk/funk type durge george mahood no reflection of him as a person (don,t know him) the sets l heard were of the type being talked of and they certainly cleared the floor on these occasions.......now time for others to say who they like or dislike,if they want to this thread means not a lot if they moan about a genre ,but will not come forward with some devotee dj,s of said genre

Now's that odd - George played for us at Go Go Children late last year and absolutely smashed it, didn't notice any dirges either! :huh:

Social source share

Dance without getting tipsy that's me out then Nev lol

Love to go to Movin On - sounds like a great night

Cheers

Manus

Your not alone Manus ,being from the N.east ,I was the only pish head there .lol

It was a bit of a culture shock to see people arrive and dance from the off !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Your not alone Manus ,being from the N.east ,I was the only pish head there .lol

It was a bit of a culture shock to see people arrive and dance from the off !

It's a bit like when I take my partner to a Soul do Nev - she's into classical music and only comes to an event about once every seven years and doesn't really drink but she just gets up and starts dancing straight away and I join her two or three pints later lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As you very well know if l wanted to...l would........theres nowt out there for me to fear.However heres one i,ve heard twice play the most awful sets of heavy funk/funk type durge george mahood no reflection of him as a person (don,t know him) the sets l heard were of the type being talked of and they certainly cleared the floor on these occasions.......now time for others to say who they like or dislike,if they want to this thread means not a lot if they moan about or like a genre or,but will not come forward with some devotee dj,s of said genre at least so we know who we're talking about..........or is everyone playing it lol :):D

No doubt we'll have this conversation next week Terry (again),but,as you know, i enjoyed George Mahood's spot at Redemption.Not all of it,but just as much as the other dj's on the night.Whether GM's spot was NS enough is another discussion point.!!!

Social source share

One funny thing in this thread is people calling funk records "dirges". Really, are they "dirges"? You might think they suck but unless someone is playing maggot brain or something similar, that doesn't make any sense.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thing is a lot of the records that have been posted up on here have been played for several years now as Chalky says. Third Eye, Sag War Fare Wally Coco being examples, and as for Harvey Scales, this was spun in the late 1990s :yes: - so do try and keep up :lol:

I think they're great sounds (obviously), but mixed in with other stuff to give a bit of variety.

Oh, hang on, Is this the "upfront" thread? Oh man, just noticed I am in the "wrong room". Sorry I'll get me coat.....:lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bob ,the saddest thing about the soul scene is ,if it's funky ,it's sh**e ,but the minute someone influential plays it ,it's not only acceptable ,it's an instant hit and the most indemand tune ever .

Not for me it isn't!!!

Embarrassing as it is, this does happen. That's not the DJs fault though and half the time I'm not entirely convinced they're not doing it to take the p*ss :lol:

Social source share

As you very well know if l wanted to...l would........theres nowt out there for me to fear.However heres one i,ve heard twice play the most awful sets of heavy funk/funk type durge george mahood no reflection of him as a person (don,t know him) the sets l heard were of the type being talked of and they certainly cleared the floor on these occasions.......now time?? for others to say who they like or dislike,if they

want to this thread means not a lot if they moan about or like a genre or,but will not come forward with some devotee dj,s of said genre at least so we know who we're talking about..........or is everyone playing it lol :):D

;

Terry, honestly I am starting to wonder if you've lost the plot! Personally I've enjoyed the few spots that I've heard George play, as a funk collector and dj he has played exactly what I had expected.......funk records! If you didn't like his spots then you chose the wrong venue to attend. A funk dj playing funk sets, thats scandulous! What dreadful surprise will come next, I wonder??

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

In my personal opinion, and to be honest what else is there, if I can dance to it in the same way as i've danced to hundreds of thousands of other records over the last 30 odd years then it's northern soul to me and it has a place at a northern soul venue.

The only other question is whether it's good or bad and that's down to personal taste.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

And droppin it down a little, but every much as awesome....my god, if you dont like or cant dance to this your feckin dead, pretty much like the NS Scene really.......

[media=]

Fooking ace!...intact all you posted..i really like...but i have always liked funk anyway...Del;xxxx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

George did two great sets at Lifeline. Admittedly he isn't to everyone's taste but then which DJ is? George doesn't play just funk either, or funky soul, some great soul records in his sets as well.

Well that's the trick Chalky, it's the northern scene and no one should or could get away with one genre and nor should they.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

At the end of the day Matt it will never change for the mainstream Northern Soul event, most want one type of music all-night, uptempo and 60's. They don't mind the odd variation as long as it is in the style of the classics. Stray to far away even for a few records and people don't want to know, they have no patience and don't care others might be enjoying the music being played. It is a very selfish scene with little patience and no or little inclination for anything other than the norm.

We can say what we like on here but the reality is much of what is being discussed here will be restricted to side rooms unfortunately and events that cater for a minority. At least until a large part of the scene disappear once again but I fear that might be too late.

True :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Stanky get Funky. Played at every oldies venue last 2 or 3years. Bristols Go Go last night was brilliant and there was all sorts of stuff played but most of all it was DANCE music and dance we all did .......

Social source share

The fact that there's only five people discussing this particular brand of "Northern Soul" shows how interested people are in it. Just a handful of people trying to push their personal tastes onto people and meeting with total disinterest from the other 1500 members.

Cue the predictable responses of 'dinosaurs' and 'not prepared to listen to anything different', maybe there's a reason for that, it's not anywhere near as good as traditional Northern Soul, and why try to fix something that's not broken?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

At a guess, I'd say there were a coupla hundred people through the door @ Bristol last night, maybe more.....and those people without doubt voted with their feet. Just because they're not discussing it on a forum page, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I've not contributed to this thread cos it always feels like you're flogging a dead horse on here when it comes to this topic.....a lot of people on SS will stick to the boundaries of the 'northern soul' pigeon hole, whilst I like to explore the much broader spectrum of 'soul' music. It's part of the reason I joined Soul Source.....it's not 'Northern Soul Source'.

Go Go Children isn't a funky soul night though is it?

And secondly, no it's not Northern Soul Source but 99% of the events discussed on here are Northern Soul events.

Whoopee doo for all you connoisseurs who appreciate the much broader spectrum of soul music.

Just accept that you have not been charged with a mission to convert everyone else! (Not you personally Greg)

There is nothing worse than people lecturing other people, Russ.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

At the end of the day Matt it will never change for the mainstream Northern Soul event, most want one type of music all-night, uptempo and 60's. They don't mind the odd variation as long as it is in the style of the classics. Stray to far away even for a few records and people don't want to know, they have no patience and don't care others might be enjoying the music being played. It is a very selfish scene with little patience and no or little inclination for anything other than the norm.

We can say what we like on here but the reality is much of what is being discussed here will be restricted to side rooms unfortunately and events that cater for a minority. At least until a large part of the scene disappear once again but I fear that might be too late.

Agree Chalky, nostalgia rules the waves, been well documented on here, but as you say, it doesn,t look like dying off any time soon

Kev

Social source share

Go Go Children isn't a funky soul night though is it?

I'd say it's not predominantly a funky soul night, but it's one of those great events that can move across various genres under the 'soul' umbrella, and still have an appreciative, full dancefloor from opening the doors til the lights are up. Thoroughly enjoyed last night, so I'll probably get my playlist together for people to critique.

Social source share

Bob ,the saddest thing about the soul scene is ,if it's funky ,it's sh**e ,but the minute someone influential plays it ,it's not only acceptable ,it's an instant hit and the most indemand tune ever .

Classic example is The sherrell brothers ..£20 record ,Loads of left field dj's playing it ,posting up playlists ..butch plays it and it's an instant £300 indemand hit!

Now before you lot get started ,my respect for Mark ,is utmost and i mean utmost ..the man is a legend in my book ,but the rest is history ..stop saying funky soul is shite and get with the program :)

The "Butch is playing it" syndrome has been with us for the best part of 25 years Nev.

Kev

Social source share

I'd say it's not predominantly a funky soul night, but it's one of those great events that can move across various genres under the 'soul' umbrella, and still have an appreciative, full dancefloor from opening the doors til the lights are up. Thoroughly enjoyed last night, so I'll probably get my playlist together for people to critique.

I'd enjoy a night like that but I wouldn't go there thinking I was going to a Northern Soul night Greg. Whereas if I went to a Northern Soul night and it was dominated by these funky tunes, I wouldn't enjoy it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The "Butch is playing it" syndrome has been with us for the best part of 25 years Nev.

Kev

True Kev ..but my point was more aimed at "funk is sh**e" but when its played by influential dj's ..people's attitudes start to change :)

That aside though ...the trick or the art is to find the ones that are soulful enough to be accepted on the soul scene :g:

The Harvey Scales track is a perfect example ....funky undertones but the soul isnt lost .

Horses for courses though ..

.if your into sweet soul ,your hardly gonna enjoy a thumping uptempo piece of funky soul ..infact thumping uptempo 60's soul record would be enough to make a sharp exit :D

And that isnt a dig Kev ...obviously we know each other and pretty much each others tastes ..the above statement is generalising :yes:

I remember when you passed on the Audrey Royal to Gaz cos it was not your cuppa T ,or was it the Charlene & soul serenaders :g: ..

Point im gonna make is that i like the Audrey Royal track and think its a good example of how a funky sound can fit with a soulful vocal .

Paul Sadot ,Karl Heard and others have had success with some well chosen funky records ,but like i said ..well chosen :thumbsup:

Theyve probably played a few bummers too ,but let he has not sinned throw the first stone eh :wicked:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Influential DJ's are the same on any scene, any genre, not just Northern Soul and the influence of these DJ's has been felt throughout the years of the scene. People have always sought the records of the top DJ's and it takes a top DJ to get it a record to a wider audience. Joe Bloggs at the local miners welfare isn't going to be heard by to many even though he might have a set of unknowns.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Influential DJ's are the same on any scene, any genre, not just Northern Soul and the influence of these DJ's has been felt throughout the years of the scene. People have always sought the records of the top DJ's and it takes a top DJ to get it a record to a wider audience. Joe Bloggs at the local miners welfare isn't going to be heard by to many even though he might have a set of unknowns.

Chalky don't know if you agree with this but sometimes it's not always live dj spots that can start a record off. Now as you know I do podcasts, and now and again when doing a Northern one I'll slip a truly rare or unknown Jamaican soul record in there, with no fanfare or anything, then 6, 12 months later I see it on playlists and I'm thinking well did they discover that themselves or did they hear it on that podcast? Either way is good and I'm not trying to say I'm responsible for any records being taken up by people but just that there are other ways of picking up on stuff than hearing them out.

Social source share

What ever happened to the Deep Funk Scene Daddy Bones,Jap Jimmy,Trouble,Darge etc etc...that was a seperate scene where you knew if you were goin to one of those clubs this is the stuff that you would get.Has that imploded and been sucked in by the rare soul scene....my style of funky northern would be Ron Keneoly-Movin On,Destination Unknown,Lloyd Price-Bad Conditions,The Barons-Society...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky don't know if you agree with this but sometimes it's not always live dj spots that can start a record off. Now as you know I do podcasts, and now and again when doing a Northern one I'll slip a truly rare or unknown Jamaican soul record in there, with no fanfare or anything, then 6, 12 months later I see it on playlists and I'm thinking well did they discover that themselves or did they hear it on that podcast? Either way is good and I'm not trying to say I'm responsible for any records being taken up by people but just that there are other ways of picking up on stuff than hearing them out.

Yes I agree with you Pete. I think plenty spend their time perusing playlists and podcasts etc for ideas for their sets.

At the end of the day it matters little how a record was discovered or who has played it (although I like to see credit where credit is due) just the fact if it is good or not.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

True Kev ..but my point was more aimed at "funk is sh**e" but when its played by influential dj's ..people's attitudes start to change :)

That aside though ...the trick or the art is to find the ones that are soulful enough to be accepted on the soul scene :g:

The Harvey Scales track is a perfect example ....funky undertones but the soul isnt lost .

Horses for courses though ..

.if your into sweet soul ,your hardly gonna enjoy a thumping uptempo piece of funky soul ..infact thumping uptempo 60's soul record would be enough to make a sharp exit :D

And that isnt a dig Kev ...obviously we know each other and pretty much each others tastes ..the above statement is generalising :yes:

I remember when you passed on the Audrey Royal to Gaz cos it was not your cuppa T ,or was it the Charlene & soul serenaders :g: ..

Point im gonna make is that i like the Audrey Royal track and think its a good example of how a funky sound can fit with a soulful vocal .

Paul Sadot ,Karl Heard and others have had success with some well chosen funky records ,but like i said ..well chosen :thumbsup:

Theyve probably played a few bummers too ,but let he has not sinned throw the first stone eh :wicked:

Hi Nev, good post, on a personal stand, I like the lot, as long as its soulfull, most of the stuff I buy possibly wouldn,t be played at the majority of venues, it was the Audrey Royal Nev, and to be honest, it wasn,t a case of "not my cuppa Tea" he took it on a permanent lease, like I do with some of his stuff, :lol: If you take the Skullsnaps LP on GSF,a lot of that funk, I can tell you its one of the most played sets in my house, funk, but darn soulfull aswell.

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!