Funky Soul

is another purpose of the term to try and create a new scene that distances itself from the oldies crowd by putting them off wanting to attend ? And the music that gets played may not actually always be funky soul............

Everybody wants to be the new Dave Godin :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

[media=]

this one moves me to tears,incredible tune in my opinion,i understand its not really a dancers tune but blimey its jam packed with soul

jason

Not a dancer....

Indeed it is to our lot.. Also seen it work in the huge main room in Hamburg...

The key with many of the above is the skill of a dj to mix them into a set that keeps the floor going, can work when you know your crowd but fall on its arse at the wrong venue.... Horses for courses.....

A bit of thought on what to play where or what djs to employ at what venues... Simples..

I am with Nev and quite a few others, love my soul in many forms and want to hear it all in one room....

The good thing about the ammount of venues is that we can all get our fix of soul the way we like it....

Go easy folks, its a Monday :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest rodw

Well, it still is going, though obviously with a much more 'user friendly' music policy Rod.....and not in the terms of an purely out and out overplayed top 500 oldies fest either (despite the odd ill informed rumour)....numbers are back up and the music is still top notch stuff....the feedback for August 4th on Facebook looks very promising...

As for the nighters original format.....well it certainly had its moments of brilliance Rod, morseo in the first 4 years or so, but rose tinted specs aside, the last 12 months were on the whole, poorly attended.

Truth is, 60 payers in a 200+ capacity does not make a brilliant event (whatever your state of mind) or pay the necessary bills, nor does it make the venue any respectable bar takings.

On top of which, other nighters had started adopting a similar music policy for 2nd rooms and they can afford to offset any financial shortfall off the main room doortake.....the nighter calender is choc-a-bloc as it is, but at least the event used to be different enough to survive on it's own merits.

Regards

Mace

I just liked all the different music genres in the one room tho, it was brilliant....nothing like it & it was unique to the scene with a broad minded outlook which I enjoyed. Musically it was a very SPECIAL PLACE mate.....for me & many others.
Social source share

Not a dancer....

Indeed it is to our lot.. Also seen it work in the huge main room in Hamburg...

The key with many of the above is the skill of a dj to mix them into a set that keeps the floor going, can work when you know your crowd but fall on its arse at the wrong venue.... Horses for courses.....

A bit of thought on what to play where or what djs to employ at what venues... Simples..

I am with Nev and quite a few others, love my soul in many forms and want to hear it all in one room....

The good thing about the ammount of venues is that we can all get our fix of soul the way we like it....

Go easy folks, its a Monday :D

I'm with you on that one Steve ..but I think when someone says it's not a dancer ,he probably means he can't dance to it in the traditional "northern soul" practiced in the back kitchen style ?

Step,step ,turn ...kick and a spin ,followed by a rather exaggerated hand clap :)

In which case I'm inclined to agree !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm with you on that one Steve ..but I think when someone says it's not a dancer ,he probably means he can't dance to it in the traditional "northern soul" practiced in the back kitchen style ?

Step,step ,turn ...kick and a spin ,followed by a rather exaggerated hand clap :)

Well how would you dance to it? Sway from side to side? The record in question isn't even a mover.

Social source share

One of the interesting things at a weekender last year there was a funk room. Only about 10 people in there but the music was interesting and plenty I'd not heard before. However I don't think I could spend the whole night in there either (and didn't). ALthough I like a lot of it, and collect some of it, it has to be said it does have very limited appeal amongst the Northern fraternity in the UK, unless a few are mixed in to a more varied set.

Now onto George, when I have heard an hour of George at a venue I was very interested, when I heard an hour of another fella trying to do the same thing in London (with different records) I was bored senseless.

The other thing is that everyone's in a different place on this, one man's oldie / dropped from the box, another man's top want (maybe a bit harsh, but it's true Nev :yes:). Probably because it's such a small part of the scene and takes a long time for people to hear the best of what's on offer, and it gets diluted with the crappy stuff played by those that 'get it wrong'.

Russ - Mystiques another fantastic sweet side on the flip! :thumbsup:

Jordi - Mystics - agreed another blinding B side there. :thumbsup:

I was at same weekender I think and you are right, some great DJ's in there but no one there to dance or even listen.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Inevitably, one person's 'funky soul' I guess Tim... Why does it need to be called or labelled anything - other than a really good record?

atb

Phil

I'm into "a really good record soul" which covers all genres including rare n northern soul :-) Great post btw Phil ;-)

Social source share

Yes you're probably right, but if your target audience are people who dance traditionally to northern, a problem is created.

Social source share

Well how would you dance to it? Sway from side to side? The record in question isn't even a mover.

Agree with you Chalky. Christ there's some barrels being scraped in this thread. It's a soul record, big deal, there's a million others like it.

Social source share

Guest john s

Absolutely and again a million miles away from the out and out funk that this thread is about

Well the start of the thread says "Funky Soul, Funk edged Soul...however you wish to describe it."

Er.... is that 'out and out funk'?

And what is "out and out funk", anyway?

What is it you don't like?

Do you mean the sound of records that were played as new releases in the 70s (apparently, I wasn't there) ? Trammps, Carstairs, Philly stuff, and so on?

James Brown? Parliament? Brass Construction? Blackbyrds?

Edited by john s
Social source share

Guest colin brown

Soul is Soul,no matter the Genre.You get good Records the same as bad ones.Why "Pigeon-Hole" it?

Social source share

A problem or a challenge???

Soul is like life itself, i need a challenge at times..

It's a problem if you're expecting people who've danced the same way for close on 40 years to radically change their style. I've just listened to the record again, and bearing in mind what Kev said, and yourself re: challenge have concluded I was wrong, and I could dance to it, which I'm pleased about because I really like it :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's a problem if you're expecting people who've danced the same way for close on 40 years to radically change their style. I've just listened to the record again, and bearing in mind what Kev said, and yourself re: challenge have concluded I was wrong, and I could dance to it, which I'm pleased about because I really like it :thumbsup:

A problem indeed mate at many venues i guess, as i said horses for courses....

To me its just heaven, to others its hell i guess, aint that the same with many tunes....

Social source share

Well the start of the thread says "Funky Soul, Funk edged Soul...however you wish to describe it."

Er.... is that 'out and out funk'?

And what is "out and out funk", anyway?

What is it you don't like?

Do you mean the sound of records that were played as new releases in the 70s (apparently, I wasn't there) ? Trammps, Carstairs, Philly stuff, and so on?

James Brown? Parliament? Brass Construction?

Yeah, maybe out and out funk wasn't the best description to use especially given my limited knowledge on the subject. I'm talking about records that are as far removed from soul (for me) as you can get, like some of the ones Russ posted

Which I suppose are probably as far removed from out and out funk as you can get if you are genuinely into out and out funk :lol:

There are loads of records with a funky edge that are fantastic, but that's not what I'm talking about - or what I understood the thread to be about. It is the heavier stuff that (for me) just isn't good enough

Social source share

Just had a quick skim through this thread, it's quite funny reading some of the comments posted...I agree with Colin Brown and this is something that i have done in the past pigeon holed records. It's either a good recod or a bad record, let the dancers vote with thier feet! When i go out i would say i know about 20% of the records played most of the time, sometimes even less. If i hear a tune and I like it I dance regardless whether it's RnB, Funk, Soul, Latin etc...there i go again pigeon holing, but you know what i mean.

Here's a dancer that has been filling floors for a while...soul with a hint of funk or funk with a hint of soul? Who cares...just dance!!!

Callum

Social source share

Yeah, maybe out and out funk wasn't the best description to use especially given my limited knowledge on the subject. I'm talking about records that are as far removed from soul (for me) as you can get, like some of the ones Russ posted

Which I suppose are probably as far removed from out and out funk as you can get if you are genuinely into out and out funk :lol:

There are loads of records with a funky edge that are fantastic, but that's not what I'm talking about - or what I understood the thread to be about. It is the heavier stuff that (for me) just isn't good enough

yes I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I was trying to distinguish between the realy heavy funk sound like the drum instrumentals and the funk records that are as you put it "out and out funk" and not realy soulful at all.

I listed a very small selection on page 6 what i consider funky soul but no where near out and out funk.

we do agree though that delegates of soul is quite a bit removed from this thread well it certainly is in my eyes anyway.

quite a few sensibel comments so far about a good record is a good record regardless of genre i'd happily sign up to that concept.

just as long as I never have to endure that awful "clap your hands" record. Now that is truly dreadful.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You know me so well ..8 pints of amber nectar and im like a fly on sugar .lol

On a serious note ..it's no slower than some all time classic Stafford tunes and we have all danced to most of them .

It's a case of the record being so soulful ,it compells you to just let go and the feet move to the groove :)

Oddly though ,one of mine and probably a lot of people's fave rare soul tunes ,Is King George - I need you ,but as much as I always get up to it ,I find it a hard record to dance to :(

Social source share

I love the slower tracks with a killer groove to get you swaying. Not a whole set of them but one or two thrown in can work realy well.

Or they would with me anyway.

Robert Tanner "Sweet memories" is pretty slow and that works very well. And no I don't think its funky soul.......

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just had a quick skim through this thread, it's quite funny reading some of the comments posted...I agree with Colin Brown and this is something that i have done in the past pigeon holed records. It's either a good recod or a bad record, let the dancers vote with thier feet! When i go out i would say i know about 20% of the records played most of the time, sometimes even less. If i hear a tune and I like it I dance regardless whether it's RnB, Funk, Soul, Latin etc...there i go again pigeon holing, but you know what i mean.

Here's a dancer that has been filling floors for a while...soul with a hint of funk or funk with a hint of soul? Who cares...just dance!!!

[media=]

Callum

That's just so generic though, as I said, there are thousands of records that sound like this, bog standard boring uptempo funky 70's records, if this is the future of Northern Soul then God help us. That one is a waste of good vinyl.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't take it personal but this is exactly what I had in mind when I said all that funky stuff is sh*te. This got nothing to do with Northern or Rare Soul.

Callum said it had been filling floors - that's the stampede of people trying to get out when it comes on :lol:

Social source share

I think this is the kind of thing t most old soulies dont like, but i dont care , its 100% funk, and ive played it out recently at eb and got people dancing to it, for me its a dancer, no soul content, but hey ho and i understand a lot on hear wouldnt want to hear it,

[media=]

Jesus.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Callum said it had been filling floors - that's the stampede of people trying to get out when it comes on :lol:

Great minds think alike Pete. I thought it filled the floor of the oldies room when it was played in the rare/underplayed room.

Seriously, as said before funky edge tune have been played for well over a decade but in recent years that stuff gained momentum. DJ's tried to find more and more new sounds that fit in. My opinion is that they clearly went too far.

Social source share

WOW, the 60's only brigade don't like 70's soul tracks being played ..............

... stop the presses, we'll have to get that story in tomorrow's Daily Sport !!

I'm afraid that anyone who would rather 60's pop tracks were getting played than great (funky / latin / southern soul / discofied / blaxplotation) loses all credibily with me.

Surely when a night is a SOUL night, it should play soul .... not weak watery pop shite that's only up side is that people without taste can dance to it.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

WOW, the 60's only brigade don't like 70's soul tracks being played ..............

I'm afraid that anyone who would rather 60's pop tracks were getting played than great (funky / latin / southern soul / discofied / blaxplotation) loses all credibily with me.

Surely when a night is a SOUL night, it should play soul .... not weak watery pop shite that's only up side is that people without taste can dance to it.

Anyone who wants to hear southern soul and blaxploitation at a Northern Soul night hasn't got a clue. Ballads next?

Apologies, I've edited my first reply but I'm so angry I'm going to bed.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Half the records on this thread were unwanted funk 45s not long ago, please don't tell me anyone collecting this stuff is paying out daft money for this stuff! Sons of darkness being a prime £5 record example. There's a reason it was in every funk sales box for a fiver, it's shite lol

Edited by Sutty
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest rodw

Maybe just me Rod - and certainly not a pop mate in any shape or form - but I just wouldn't 'class' any of these as 'funky soul', at least not in the sense that I understand or interpret the term. (They're tried and tested northern records and pretty much known and accepted the length and breadth aren't they?). Once you start calling it something I reckon you're on a hiding to nothing because some smart arse somewhere will tell you it ain' :lol:t :dash2:

Maybe that's one of the issues here, and I reckon I'm as guilty as anyone of this and its really crap but ... ... as soon as I hear that term, or anything aligned to it, my brain says 'brace yourself for a dollop of noisy mediocrity, switch off and start moaning to yourself until its over'.

How bad is that! I'd be the first to hold my hands up and say that I should be a bit more grown up and open minded by now (not least because not being is highly likely to cause me to miss out on the really good stuff which is undoubtedly in the mix with all the rest). Like anything though, some of it just ain't good enough and no matter how many times people play em or tell me they are they're just not according to my lug'oles.

I don't think many who've contributed to this thread would put themselves forward as a fan of done to death 'top 500' tackle but I do honestly think there's something bordering on an obsession in some quarters with being 'different', 'upfront', 'cutting edge' - or wtf you wanna call it- which is maybe why, again, to my ears anyway, so much of what gets presented as that just ain't good enough. The records simply aren't there on the whole are they, at least not to orientate regular nights / nighters around?How could they be after 40+ years of people looking for, listening to and playing em, especially now with the access that folk have to stuff?

Several have said it several times on this thread (and others) but it's the categorising and pigeonholing which does so much to inhibit people and feed the stereotypes and misconceptions imho (guilty as charged, again). Same with 'rare and underplayed', 'oldies', 'upfront', rnb, etc etc; seems to me to alienate and switch big chunks of people off before they've even heard 75% of it - guilty, again. (Others have and will argue of course, and there's mileage in it too, that 'across the board' and other such labels do precisely the same thing: too nebulous/ not specific enough etc - can't bloody win).

The events that run and run with decent numbers seem to me to avoid the dreaded labels, or at least much emphasis on em, and too much of one thing - cos that's more likely to put and/or hack more people off i.e. striking a balance, stylee / dj-wise, seems more likely to keep more people happy more of the time - which is probably about as good as it gets these days.

From painful, first-hand experience LOL, if you don't it's empty room / dancefloor / bloody pockets time - which is pretty crap wherever you're stood. It has to be possible to compromise, and maybe contribute, without feeling like you've sold-out, without bashing yourself to bits because you're not actually as near the cutting edge as you'd like to be or thought you were, hasn't it? It's supposed to be a bloody hobby and, therefore, enjoyable - still have to remind myself sometimes though :lol:

I agree with many comments on this thread including the vast majority of this one Phil, but my post was biased purely on a musical point of view...they are ALL funky soul records in my post, whether they've been around a long time or not. At the Soul in the South Allniter we play a wide range of different genres of the NS Scene..including funk edged alongside Uptempo 60's/70's Classic, Current & Underplayed Oldies, R&B, Gospel etc...unfortunately it has'nt worked for us down South. I've been to many Allniters around the country with a very simular music policy to ours. Our dj's have always mixed it up, I certainly don't regard our recent attendance losses on the music more on the fact of our location. The Central South/South Coast region is far from being an Allniter hot bed....We had an Allniter in Swanage in the late 70's & the Colony Club in Newbury in the 80's ...the regular local Allniters are either in London, Gloucester or the annual ones in Brighton..that's been it for the last 20 odd years...

We have had an annual All Dayer for the past 4 years tho.... It's really just Soul Nites down here & mostly Oldies or Modern...it's been like that for 20 odd years. Very few attend Allniters on a regular basis these days...especially not up North or the Midlands.

We do have an Allniter on Saturday Sept 1st run by Southampton Soul Club, great line up in a great venue, Empire Hall where they hold the annual All Dayer & occasional Soul Nites....looking forward to that one.

Sallie & myself are fairly regular Allniter attendees @ Gloucester, Rugby, Burnley ( where Sallie is djing next week) Lifeline, Bidds, Empty Bottles & Grumpy Soul sometimes amongst others but personally I can't see why a certain music genre like funk edged should be cast aside as the devil's music lol...it has it's place but maybe blended into sets rather than full on spots. Nobody likes to be force fed, which I think judging on this thread may have been the case for some people. It's a great era for Soul music the early 70's...lot's of changes during that period. Some good & bad in all the music genres played over the years at Allniters, I think it will take time to find what's suitable for today's scene, from this particular genre ....but there's some great stuff out there, no doubt about that !!!

Kind regards

Rod

Social source share

Half the records on this thread were unwanted funk 45s not long ago, please don't tell me anyone collecting this stuff is paying out daft money for this stuff! Sons of darkness being a prime £5 record example. There's a reason it was in every funk sales box for a fiver, it's shite lol

£5 is what i paid for this funk oldie :thumbsup: spot on

Social source share

John, sorry but completely unnecessary post. You say everybody who dislikes funk or very funky soul is a member of the 60s only pop soul brigade? sweeping statement, just plain bullshit and an insult to many (including me).

Social source share

You funk lovers would have loved London in the late eighties/nineties as all of this type of stuff was spun at loads of little clubs in London.Keb Darge/Ian Wright/Snowboy/Bones(Big Daddy mag)/James Trouble/Japanese Jimmy..I even had a deep funk room at The Rocket in 2002.I enjoyed going to those clubs myself although i always preferered the out and out latin jazz/fusion clubs.Re pidgeon holing....love it.I have a very wide taste in music and like to know if i go to a northern soulnight i get northern soul.Heres some od funk flyers.

post-18577-0-19329900-1341870892_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest john s

You funk lovers would have loved London in the late eighties/nineties as all of this type of stuff was spun at loads of little clubs in London.

And Bristol. :P

Social source share

You funk lovers would have loved London in the late eighties/nineties as all of this type of stuff was spun at loads of little clubs in London.Keb Darge/Ian Wright/Snowboy/Bones(Big Daddy mag)/James Trouble/Japanese Jimmy..I even had a deep funk room at The Rocket in 2002.I enjoyed going to those clubs myself although i always preferered the out and out latin jazz/fusion clubs.Re pidgeon holing....love it.I have a very wide taste in music and like to know if i go to a northern soulnight i get northern soul.Heres some od funk flyers.

exactly, and it died a death as it's a minority sport in the extreme, most of those nights were full of students not 'hardcore funk fans' (as they generally didn't exist). Whatever dreams anyone has thats into it has of this taking off again in any way above a small circle of people is on another planet. If you like it, play it to each other and the few that will like it and enjoy it. Popularity isn't everything, in fact it's really nothing. Just don't expect to get too many converts, frankly it does often sound very samey after a while.

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Its a very fine line indeed, the solid funk track posted by Tim above is what many would think of as tooooooooo funky or out and out funk..... I was told the same about the tune below by some folk.. Its a great funk edged soul track with balls to me but to some its funky shite, just like the RnB debate i guess in many ways....

[media=]

bloody brilliant tune,i forgot about this one,like has been said many times in this thread,if its good its good,and to me this is superb,whether funk or soul or funky soul or anything else you want to call it

jason

Social source share

exactly, and it died a death as it's a minority sport in the extreme, most of those nights were full of students not 'hardcore funk fans' (as they generally didn't exist). Whatever dreams anyone has thats into it has of this taking off again in any way above a small circle of people is on another planet. If you like it, play it to each other and the few that will like it and enjoy it. Popularity isn't everything, in fact it's really nothing. Just don't expect to get too many converts, frankly it does often sound very samey after a while.

cheers Sutty

I mentioned it earlier....all of those deep funk clubs vanished and I'm just wondering if this style of music has been sucked in by the rare soul scene.It ran in parallel to the jazz scene but i was more into Cal Tjader than Johnny Pate ....Not been to Jo jos in a long time and im wondering if they still focus on it now Kebs into rocknroll I know Joel plays this style of music at the 100 Club.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Don't take it personal but this is exactly what I had in mind when I said all that funky stuff is sh*te. This got nothing to do with Northern or Rare Soul.

Not sure how rare this record is but it's certainly a Soul record if not fantastic certainly a decent record and if it's not easy to pick or up or being played on the rare Soul scene then surely it qualifies as a rare Soul record- it's certainly closer to the the spirit of classics like There was a Time than a lot of records that get played in my opinion. One thing is clear reading this thread and others like it is that there is no objective definition of what is Northern or Rare Soul - so if a record is being played at venues and being danced too even if it does not fall into our own personal idea of what defines the genre then I think we have to accept it does for others. And I say this as someone who thinks that a lot of records that get played don't fall into my personal idea of Rare / Northern Soul or even just Soul.

Social source share

I'm actually starting to think this forum has been taken over by the "baggy pants" brigade !

How ironic to see in 2012 ,people who've championed the rare soul scene by sniping at the guys who are stuck in the 70's ,who refused to accept new sounds past the Twisted wheel ,torch and Wigan era :(

Social source share

I'm actually starting to think this forum has been taken over by the "baggy pants" brigade !

How ironic to see in 2012 ,people who've championed the rare soul scene by sniping at the guys who are stuck in the 70's ,who refused to accept new sounds past the Twisted wheel ,torch and Wigan era :(

So, are you saying anyone who dislikes these funky stuff refuses to accept new sounds?

Social source share

Its a very fine line indeed, the solid funk track posted by Tim above is what many would think of as tooooooooo funky or out and out funk..... I was told the same about the tune below by some folk.. Its a great funk edged soul track with balls to me but to some its funky shite, just like the RnB debate i guess in many ways....

That is so Mmmmmm !! to me. Smooth Bobby Bland type voice with the music to kick you where it hurts (the heart)

Love it x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some fairly bad examples of funk edged records on this thread chaps....

Give some examples of what you mean to make it clear for replies???

Do you mean..... You don't think they are funk edged or they are poor funk edged tracks???

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!