Anderson Brothers - I Can See Him Loving You

Gotta say, I never thought it was a legit copy but never seen one like it before or since. If its coloured in then it's been done by some professional artist because it is 'perfect'

Still, it looks cool on the decks !!

Thanks for all the information

Tezza XXX

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Yes and my mate John had one too.

When he reads this I'm sure he'll confirm it. I've never seen a demo!

There's definitely no boot or legal reissue of an issue copy - well there might be now, via Outtasite, but there were none in the 70's, I'll bet you a copy of Chuck Wood on Disco Demand

Social source share

There's definitely no boot or legal reissue of an issue copy - well there might be now, via Outtasite, but there were none in the 70's, I'll bet you a copy of Chuck Wood on Disco Demand

It'll have to be on Big T mate, or maybe they were originals and we just didn't know it.

Social source share

Thanks for that Mick,

definitely the first time I have even heard of a title for the b side, so I'm blown away! But being greedy, now we know there is a b side I want to know if its any good!

Edited by Rich B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 06/07/2012 at 21:03, codfromderby said:

140.jpg heres the boys, themselves

When this thread first started I contacted Joseph Anderson, who alongside his brother Stefan, are the Anderson Brothers as featured in the picture

They have soulful connections as detailed here ....  https://www.geocities.jp/hideki_wtnb/anderson-bros2.html 

Stefan did record 'You're In Love Child' for Crazy Horse .. which got some spins years ago ... but with regard to the GSF 45 Joseph basically said  "It's  not us ... we know nothing about it"

So I wonder who it is then

Andy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Below is the dialogue I had with Ray Dahrouge five minute ago ... I asked him about the flip side.

12814522_10207126503495695_9451894866377
ANDY, AFTER I MADE DEAL WITH G.S.F PRES. LARRY NEWTON (FORMER PRES. OF A B C PARAMOUNT REC. RAY CHARLES, CURTIS MAYFIELD ,& IMPRESSIONS, ARTISTS, ETC. ) I WENT HOME & WROTE B SIDE WITH MY WIFE MICHELE. I DON'T RECALL TITLE OR IF IT WAS EVER ON A RECORD. RELEASE. I NO I DID RECORD IT. I DON'T NO ABOUT ANY COPIE OTHER THAN WHAT G S F GAVE ME. I USUALLY ASKED FOR A BOX OF 25 WHICH I ALMOST ALWAYS GAVE AWAY TO FAMILY & FRIENDS. "I'M A CREATOR NOT A COLLECTOR". BIG B.S. SESSION GOING ON @ RARE SOUL SALES SITE ON FBOOJK RITE NOW THAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND. ANYWAY, STAY IN TOUCH MY FRIEND FROM ACROSS THE POND, RAY
Edited by epic
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

BS thread on FB Rare Soul Sales, is about a copy of the Anderson Brothers, that came from Ray, & being sold by a third party on his behalf.  The scan is of the Bootleg....now whilst I dont think either Ray or DK is setting out to rip anybody off deliberately, the scan is deffo of the boot....all should become clear later when DK will post an update.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, epic said:

Below is the dialogue I had with Ray Dahrouge five minute ago ... I asked him about the flip side.

12814522_10207126503495695_9451894866377
ANDY, AFTER I MADE DEAL WITH G.S.F PRES. LARRY NEWTON (FORMER PRES. OF A B C PARAMOUNT REC. RAY CHARLES, CURTIS MAYFIELD ,& IMPRESSIONS, ARTISTS, ETC. ) I WENT HOME & WROTE B SIDE WITH MY WIFE MICHELE. I DON'T RECALL TITLE OR IF IT WAS EVER ON A RECORD. RELEASE. I NO I DID RECORD IT. I DON'T NO ABOUT ANY COPIE OTHER THAN WHAT G S F GAVE ME. I USUALLY ASKED FOR A BOX OF 25 WHICH I ALMOST ALWAYS GAVE AWAY TO FAMILY & FRIENDS. "I'M A CREATOR NOT A COLLECTOR". BIG B.S. SESSION GOING ON @ RARE SOUL SALES SITE ON FBOOJK RITE NOW THAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND. ANYWAY, STAY IN TOUCH MY FRIEND FROM ACROSS THE POND, RAY

Still sounds white, until the end when one em breaks out a bit....

Social source share

RE: The Anderson Bros GSF 45 escaping outside the US ...........

GSF were represented in 73/74 in quite a few countries around the world -- 12 at least. However the only really popular GSF acts (with regard to numbers of releases abroad) were Connie Francis, Lloyd Price & Joe Quarterman. The last GSF 45 to escape outside the US was an Italian single by Joe Quarterman that was released there in 75. The Anderson Bros 45 didn't get an official release anywhere that I know of (apart from the US demo).

In the UK GSF was represented by EMI who put out the GSF label releases here (in 72/73). The UK licensing deal obviously lapsed after March 74 when the US label had stopped operating.

"I Can See Him.." would have escaped outside the US in early to mid 74 (unless it was picked up much later than it's US release date) ...  if DJM had taken on the back catalogue of US GSF after EMI stopped representing the label in the UK ... then the Anderson Bros 45 could have escaped here in 74 or at a later date. In the period from Sept 73 to Sept 74 every UK DJM 45 number is taken (i.e. every number between DJS285 & DJS325). So, unless it was an un-numbered UK DJM acetate or test pressing it didn't make it out on UK DJM.

I guess you reasoning for asking is coz the OTHER Anderson Bros (the white guys) had a 45 out on UK DJM in April 78. BUT they were a different group so the question really shouldn't come up.

Only one late US 45 release on GSF escaped in the UK and that was Joe Quarterman's "Thanks Dad" (a UK release in late March 74 following US release in Nov 73.

Back in the US in mid 73 to early 74 when the label collapsed, even though they had big plans, they were really only targeting the US jukebox market. If a 45 proved popular as a promo 45 on jukeboxes, then it seemed to get a 'shop release'. They were licensing in soul product from the likes of Malaco but not seeming to push any of those 45's. I'd guess that the Anderson Bros GSF 45 was floated on the jukebox market, did nothing & was quickly forgotten about by everyone at GSF and in the US.

GSFrecs73.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The montage above has entries from record companies in Belgium (& Luxembourg), Australia & Germany that represented GSF.

GSF also had 45's out in Canada, UK, France, Italy, Holland, Japan, New Zealand, Sth Africa, Venezuela & Mexico.

Did any GSF stuff escape in any other countries (either on the GSF label itself or a local label that represented GSF) ??

The ad above states that GSF was represented in Belgium by EMI but did EMI actually press up & release any GSF stuff locally or were 45's just imported from EMI UK to be sold there ??.

Social source share

Interesting thread. I think the scans of the mythical US issue look pretty convincing.

I think Ray Dahrouge may have got his wires crossed regarding the identity of the artists. I think the black artists he refers to as cutting this song are the Mayberry Movement (an unreleased Event recording subsequently issued by Ace/Kent). While these Anderson Brothers are clearly not Joe and Stefan as per Andy Rix's research I think they are in all probability another white act.

Had the Mayberry version been available to DJs in the mid '70s it would have blown the GSF one away in my opinion.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, garethx said:

Interesting thread. I think the scans of the mythical US issue look pretty convincing.

I think Ray Dahrouge may have got his wires crossed regarding the identity of the artists. I think the black artists he refers to as cutting this song are the Mayberry Movement (an unreleased Event recording subsequently issued by Ace/Kent). While these Anderson Brothers are clearly not Joe and Stefan as per Andy Rix's research I think they are in all probability another white act.

Had the Mayberry version been available to DJs in the mid '70s it would have blown the GSF one away in my opinion.

Nahhh. The Anderson Brothers version is a lot more subtle and understated and slightly classier in my view. The Mayberry Movement version sounds like a much later recording and almost pointing to the even later version by Ray Dahrouge. Quite sprightly though isn't it? :)

Ian D :)

Social source share

On 6/9/2016 at 08:35, Roburt said:

Did any GSF stuff escape in any other countries (either on the GSF label itself or a local label that represented GSF) ??

John - I know this has already been mentioned before, but there was an LP of GSF material released in Israel. This also included the Anderson Brothers song being discussed here. I was probably the first to mention it on here.

I posted scans of the album and there was a fairly long discussion about it and as to confirming when it would have been released there.

It was called Soul Explosion

Soul Explosion LP label A.jpg

Edited by John Benson
added pics
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It took me nearly 39 years from first hearing this to get an original (Demo)copy, the waiting for it to arrive from the USA nearly killed me !

I always loved it.

Played it several times now I have an original copy, in various DJ spots and the reaction has been mixed dance floor wise, however I think its building up to a reactivation on the scene in general, I think some of the "Newbies" have never heard it, despite claiming to be there "In the day"!

Funnily enough it was requested Saturday night at North Wingfield, I was in two minds whether or not to play it and even commented to Pete Taylor it might "Clear the floor", he said its a great record play it ! Fantastic reaction to it !

Love the new info surfacing on the back ground to the track, keep it coming Andy Rix !

Rob

Edited by Rob Wigley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

John, that GSF LP out of Israel is a real find .... bet you were glad when it arrived.

I'd guess that it was more like a 1974/75 release as the 'time lag' between a foreign record company negotiating & signing a deal with the US company, then getting the masters over, arranging the release, etc. always took longer than anyone imagined.

From the sound quality of the cuts on the LP, would you say they sourced the tracks from master tapes or actual copies of the US records ??

Social source share

1 hour ago, Ian Seaman said:

anyone in contact with Ray can they ask him about the Media sound 10" acetate that surfaced a while ago supposedly from Ray himself ??

Ian.

I will speak to him tonight - anyone have a scan of it ?

Social source share

On 14/06/2016 at 11:09, Ian Seaman said:

anyone in contact with Ray can they ask him about the Media sound 10" acetate that surfaced a while ago supposedly from Ray himself ??

Ian.

Here is the answer to your question - spoke to Ray 10 minutes ago 

DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT A 10 INCH OF ANDERSON BRO.HOW MUCH ARE THEY SELLING FOR ? I HEARD LISE RYPDAL ON UTUBE . SPOKE WITH HER PROD. AROUIND 79 WHEN SHE CUT IT. IS THERE ANY CD OF HER DOING IT ? SPOKE TO DENNIS ANDERSON LAST NITE IT WAS GREAT. REMINDED ME OF SOME OF THE LEGENDARY MUSICIANS THAT PLAYED ON THAT SONG. I TOLD HIM HOW MUCH U GUYS IN U.K. HAVE & STILL LOVE HIS RECORD. WISH THERE WERE MORE & I DON'T NO WHY GSF NEVER DIST. IT 4 STORES OR WHY THEY WENT OUT OF BIZ. BEST TO YOU & YOUR FAMILY MY FRIEND, RAY

Social source share

On 6/14/2016 at 09:02, Roburt said:

John, that GSF LP out of Israel is a real find .... bet you were glad when it arrived.

I'd guess that it was more like a 1974/75 release as the 'time lag' between a foreign record company negotiating & signing a deal with the US company, then getting the masters over, arranging the release, etc. always took longer than anyone imagined.

From the sound quality of the cuts on the LP, would you say they sourced the tracks from master tapes or actual copies of the US records ??

I've not listened to it all the way through for some time, but as far as I recall, it played fine - no signs that it was dubbed from other records as such.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!