Are Dj Bookings/spots Incestuous?

Guest Bearsy

One thing is for sure and that is many a dj would not get a dj spot if they wasn't a promoter. Probably answers your question quite well I thinks lol

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Exactly my point. Hear some terrible sets being played by ' co-promoters' :(

Worse thing is a they all end up buying each others records so if you was to go in a room with certain dj line ups you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between djs which means the same tunes getting rammed down your lug holes within a 50 mile radius lol

Social source share

Guest rodw

On the South Coast there are some fantastic dj's too...Bearsy, Dave Abbott, Steve C, Tim Smithers, Kev Higham, John Browne, Jonah, Martin Adams, Gavin Knight etc etc etc.......

Social source share

heres one for you i was told that i wouldnt get a dj booking as i had done a few spots at a rival promoters venue ! :)

Had the same myself - 'not booking you as you've agreed to do a Charity Event' which has a similar theme to the event I'm now going to promote ( after the Charity do was booked and advertised!) Get a life was my reply :P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest rodw

On the South Coast there are some fantastic dj's too...Bearsy, Dave Abbott, Steve C, Tim Smithers, Kev Higham, John Browne, Jonah, Martin Adams, Gavin Knight etc etc etc.......

None of these get spots on the South Coast apart from @ Ghetto Soul or a few @ Soul in the South Allniter...as far I know, never see them as guests anywhere else...wonder why ???
Social source share

Guest Gogs

I've been resident dj at 3 soul nites for about 7-8 years out of the last 25, although the promoters were asked to dj here, there and everywhere else, i am very seldom asked to do a spot even although in quite a few cases my collection is bigger (and better imho) than theirs, BUT i wasn't the one who got the visiting dj's to play a spot.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL As I recently played a few records at the sad event of the passing of HELEN, Which was the first spot since the BLACK HORSE days with PEP, I have received positive feedback from many people, who have gone out of there way to tell me how enjoyable it was, long gone are the days trying to compete with the top boys, and far to much money wasted on chemicals, but I would love to be asked to spin some of the rare NORTHERN SOUL from my collection and even the not so rare, as most of my stuff has not been played for years it has become new stuff again, as I am to proud to ask (old school) I will wait for the day to come around just like most collectors :rofl: DAVE
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I've been resident dj at 3 soul nites for about 7-8 years out of the last 25, although the promoters were asked to dj here, there and everywhere else, i am very seldom asked to do a spot even although in quite a few cases my collection is bigger (and better imho) than theirs, BUT i wasn't the one who got the visiting dj's to play a spot.

Sums it up really gogs ....

Social source share

I thought there were too many "dj's" on the scene.?

If so ,how can the same ones keep being booked.? New blood?...according to this site,most either 1) haven't got the records or 2) play shite or, 3) never went to Wigan/Stafford - delete as neccessary.

Last thing...who would dj for someone they didn't like?...

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

If so ,how can the same ones keep being booked.? New blood?...according to this site,most either 1) haven't got the records or 2) play shite or, 3) never went to Wigan/Stafford - delete as neccessary.

plenty :yes:

Social source share

Are Dj Bookings/spots Incestuous?

In the South, the general answer would have to be YES

It does not matter what the venue you will generally see the same names time after time ad infinitum .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL As I recently played a few records at the sad event of the passing of HELEN, Which was the first spot since the BLACK HORSE days with PEP, I have received positive feedback from many people, who have gone out of there way to tell me how enjoyable it was, long gone are the days trying to compete with the top boys, and far to much money wasted on chemicals, but I would love to be asked to spin some of the rare NORTHERN SOUL from my collection and even the not so rare, as most of my stuff has not been played for years it has become new stuff again, as I am to proud to ask (old school) I will wait for the day to come around just like most collectors :rofl: DAVE

mr d get your reggae collection out to play youve some great tunes !
Social source share

I can understand why promoters/residents etc pick guests who guest elsewhere as they usually pick them because they think they are right for their venue and they know that said DJ's will do a good job as they have a proven track record.

Same thing goes for picking people who run or are resident at other (nearby?) venues - they normally know what sort of thing they are going to play and how well they DJ.

When I helped run a club in London, early on we had a couple of awkward experiences by letting people DJ who asked us - they turned out to be not very good, so we stopped doing it. Not a pleasant thing to do to have to tell someone that you can't give them a set because you make it a rule to only book people with a proven track record and records.

How to get DJ sets when you are not known is always a quandary. Who is going to ask someone to guest when they haven't got much experience? Starting up a night neatly solves the problem - you get to play your records every month. The only other option is for people to book their mates but IMHO that doesn't add much to a night unless said mate has an under the radar incredible collection and knows how to play records in some sort of order that doesn't have people getting up and sitting down again all the way through their set.

Easy to see why most guests are well known and why people also book residents from other nearby clubs. A known quantity is normally much better than taking a chance on someone.

If you want to do the latter though - gizza set? :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

other reason is that the competiton/promoter wont then put a night on same night as theirs and hopefully they will bring some of their crowd along.

if it really was for the music then a lot of venues would bring in the djs that had the tunes and not just the promoters unite merry go round. personally i like venues that have their punters do guest spots cos at least they should know whats what to play if they have the tunes of course

Social source share

In my experience yes, yes, yes! To the extent where I dont liike accepting booking cause you feel that you have to reciprecate and return the booking sometimes. But really I've seen it happen all over the north west and midlands in the last few years, but you cant blame it entirly for seeing the same DJ's on flyers again and again, thats as much down to promoters playing safe and repeat booking the same old, same old.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Taking up this point, how many top DJs are there, and more importantly who are they. It's all well and good saying somebody should book Mick H, Andy D, Sam or Ted M for instance, but they can't spread themselves around all the venues on the same night, so someone somewhere is going to have what's considered by some ''a sub-standard DJ roster''.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

and right the

Taking up this point, how many top DJs are there, and more importantly who are they. It's all well and good saying somebody should book Mick H, Andy D, Sam or Ted M for instance, but they can't spread themselves around all the venues on the same night, so someone somewhere is going to have what's considered by some ''a sub-standard DJ roster''.

and right there winnie old bean is why there are too many venues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

The opportunities for me to get a spot have been zero....... a bit dissapointing realy but what can you do ?

I don't want to become a regular DJ but it would have been nice to have been asked just once or twice.

Social source share

and right the

and right there winnie old bean is why there are too many venues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm aware of that Andy, and agree, but if an event has been publicised, then they have to supply DJs from somewhere, because they'll still have paying customers coming through the doors.

Social source share

I can understand why promoters/residents etc pick guests who guest elsewhere as they usually pick them because they think they are right for their venue and they know that said DJ's will do a good job as they have a proven track record.

Same thing goes for picking people who run or are resident at other (nearby?) venues - they normally know what sort of thing they are going to play and how well they DJ.

When I helped run a club in London, early on we had a couple of awkward experiences by letting people DJ who asked us - they turned out to be not very good, so we stopped doing it. Not a pleasant thing to do to have to tell someone that you can't give them a set because you make it a rule to only book people with a proven track record and records.

How to get DJ sets when you are not known is always a quandary. Who is going to ask someone to guest when they haven't got much experience? Starting up a night neatly solves the problem - you get to play your records every month. The only other option is for people to book their mates but IMHO that doesn't add much to a night unless said mate has an under the radar incredible collection and knows how to play records in some sort of order that doesn't have people getting up and sitting down again all the way through their set.

Easy to see why most guests are well known and why people also book residents from other nearby clubs. A known quantity is normally much better than taking a chance on someone.

If you want to do the latter though - gizza set? :lol:

Agree with this entirely, but also dont mind taking a chance on someone completely new either but usually like them to have actually been to the night before.

I do wonder what most of the negative posters actually expect promoters to do - book DJ's the've never heard of, book only from a chosen list, book DJ's who are unsuitable for thier club but are approved by the negative posters, book DJ's they can't afford, book only DJ's who can't be bothered to come to thier club but have good tunes?

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I can see a market here for something along the lines of yellow pages, maybe DJ's - R - Us?

Put a directory together with dj's name & contact details, alongside details of records played & booking fees required.

And why does nobody have the balls to name these clubs/promoters who are incestuous? Would they be the same club/promoters who only play boots & re-issues? Some of the topics on here recently are getting really repetative. :sleep3:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

other reason is that the competiton/promoter wont then put a night on same night as theirs and hopefully they will bring some of their crowd along.

if it really was for the music then a lot of venues would bring in the djs that had the tunes and not just the promoters unite merry go round. personally i like venues that have their punters do guest spots cos at least they should know whats what to play if they have the tunes of course

Surely promotors need to visit lots of other nights to know what DJ's are playing, how good they and the crowd reaction?

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I'm aware of that Andy, and agree, but if an event has been publicised, then they have to supply DJs from somewhere, because they'll still have paying customers coming through the doors.

there lays the problem Winnie, sub standard djs have to be booked cos all the decent ones are busy, less events the quality would be able to spread themselves around but who is anyone to say whats quality and what aint cos every promoter thinks there night is the best and every dj thinks they are the dogs danglies, ok well not everyone but you know what i mean lol

Social source share

Surely it all boils down to the promoters. They should know what type of event they are trying to put on and book djs accordingly, not because they want reciprical dj spots. Probably why there are so many stale soul nites.

After all a dj is only as good as his/her records and how they are put together in a set.

Social source share

If you promote and only go to your mates venue(s) how can you know who else to book?

That's why so few records get played in many venues. The promoters do not know anything else or at least haven't seen the dancefloor reaction to anything else. So the dancers at those venue never get to know anything new (well I know thats an over exageration but you see my point).

I'm not sure how Ady picks his guests if as he says he never goes anywhere but perhaps its on reputation / word of mouth.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Surley promotors need to visit lots of other nights to know what DJ's are playing, how good they and the crowd reaction?

Doc

couldnt agree more Chris but plenty only go where they can dj its funny cos at some venues they go on the odd occasion get a dj spot and never return. its not always about the music with some its about them...

Social source share

Even when you have the floor rammed and people applauding there is often still someone who wants to say something horrible either whilst you're on the decks or after you've finished your set. Something for any wannabee DJ's to consider.

I have to say that is something I've never ever experienced.

(I meant the applauding bit obviously) :lol: :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have to say that is something I've never ever experienced.

(I meant the applauding bit obviously) :lol: :lol:

ive heard you applauded many times ged...mind you its usually once your leaving the stage

atb moldie

Social source share

Surely it all boils down to the promoters. They should know what type of event they are trying to put on and book djs accordingly, not because they want reciprical dj spots. Probably why there are so many stale soul nites.

After all a dj is only as good as his/her records and how they are put together in a set.

The last paragraph of your statement is very true. Also Sallie Jane, personality reflects a record you play in my honest opinion.

Cheers Billy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!