Are Dj Bookings/spots Incestuous?

did i say professional? did anyone else see me type professional? what the hell are you talking about ? ..... i'm sick of seeing guys(and girls) playing a set of big name tunes in no particular order, or cueing up the slipmat regularly, or having a big gap between tunes, too bassy, too much top end , too quiet, too loud etc with no bloody idea how to use the mixer ... it's called Dj craft and if you can't do it piss off until you can .... see, still never mentioned professional

No but what I'm saying is practically every DJ is a collector first and foremost and not a DJ. I agree with you I've seen some with the best box of records some can only dream of owning but they couldn't put a set together for toffee. The vast majority don't have a clue how to work the equipment. Most set ups don't even have a monitor speaker so how on earth you can tell what it sounds like in front of you I will never know.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Brian Fradgley

Too many record collectors.Too few true DJs.

Forget the format and the egos. Fill the dance floors.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yeah just put a CD on.

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

At Con. Soul, we have different djs on EVERY month, to try & keep it fresh.,but our music policy is RARE & UNDERPLAYED & R,B

So only djs who fall into that category, get asked to play.

In fact Im on the door, & sometimes

I dont even recognise the dj! we certainly dont do "favours" for friends who dj, its all about having the right records for our venue,

which I might add, has gone through some tough times, like others, promoting something different, one night, there were more

djs than punters! we have just had a rather scathing comment from a disgruntled punter, re last night,but if you read the flyer you know what to expect!

Dereck & Killa work really hard to promote this event, & get djs from all round the UK, & hopefully, its starting to pay off now,

as we have a loyal group of regulars who support us, & enjoy what we do!

Perseverance is the key!

regards,

SHEILA

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Most set ups don't even have a monitor speaker so how on earth you can tell what it sounds like in front of you I will never know.

I guess I'm spoiled at Basics, not only do we have a monitor but we have a sound engineer too :) ... the crowd deserve to hear the music clearly and as professionally as possible... we are asking them to pay in after all

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I don't know Terry,there's enough sub's waiting on the bench at most venues. :lol:

Know what you mean mate......but whereas spain can call on torres,david villa or pulliol......we get well i,ll leave it to your imagination

Social source share

Guest rodw

In my mind I would never book a dj who I had never seen play a spot before.

I would prefer to book a dj for the records he/she plays, whether it be 60's/70's, rare/underplayed, r&b, funk edged, raw gospel or just great oldies....as long as it's soulful !!!

Variety is the spice of life in my book but that policy will always run the risk of critcism from others, some prefer familiarity & some prefer listening to something they had'nt heard for years or that is unknown to them personally etc. All & all the Northern Soul Scene has always had many strings to it's bow.

In my thinking I would rather do something from the heart & what I believe in.......

But that's just me....& I'm happy with me.

Social source share

• 5 months later...

In reality some of the small venues cannot afford to book the high priced dj especially those having to pay room hire etc. I like the policy taken by some venues where two guests are booked, one lesser known (9pm ish) and one more established (10:30) the earlier guest dj will have to work harder as the dancers arent as pissed, and if any good will hopefully get a later spot in the future.

Dave

Edited by Dave West
Social source share

Fill the Dance floors ?? Anybody can do that !!

They are slightly different on the NS Scene whereby, if people weren't collectors there would be no one to play the Music that we have all come to love. They are not Radio DJ's that get stuff sent to them to play, we have to seek them out.

Another thread - Same old ... You're just perpetuating the end of the world as we know it !!

Incestuous and vain, and many other last names.

Edited by Tezza
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Id say im counted as "young blood" and thought id put my 10p worth in...

I personally spend 1-2 hours the night before sorting my set out, seeing what goes where and what not before a night that im asked to dj(this always changes when actually doing the set but hey ho) this is oviously based on my experience of what type of sounds are played at the night/area. Then i atleast talk to promoter/dj at time about how each system works as you never know what your playing with. As soon as i get up on them decks the first couple of records im nervous as hell but then the buzz of the whole thing kicks in and BAM! before you know it your sets over and done with. Im forever praticing cueing records and my mic work(as this is my weakest part of me IMO). i always want to improve and get myself out there to show my support to venues and show that I'm available(if they like what i play!!) but at 22 and on sh*t pay i cant always afford to do that so get out when i can. Think thats all, might add to it later :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

keep it up brett youre on the right track (no pun intended)...keep to originals, dont have to spend loads...some crackin lesser known with some cheaper classics thrown in....enjoy it most of all!

dean

keep it up brett youre on the right track (no pun intended)...keep to originals, dont have to spend loads...some crackin lesser known with some cheaper classics thrown in....enjoy it most of all!

dean

dean

dean

dean

Wise words indeed From Dean..... :hatsoff2: :hatsoff2:

Social source share

The mould seems to have been set Matt, similar discussion on another thread at the moment but it seems only a certain set of DJ,s can be innovative and creative in compiling their sets cos its this certain set who influence what is supposedly right to be played, a lesser known DJ or collector can get up there and play away from the norm and accepted (which you rightly hint at) and the vast majority of punters won,t blink an eyelid ie theres hardly any "whats this, its fookin brilliant, never heard it before", but, somebody out of the certain set of DJ,s gets up and plays the exact same record or records, then theres a stampede to find out what it is, the fickleness of the scene prevents fresh DJ,s with fresh playlists from prospering, hence the same repetitive playlists. Just an opinion by the way

Kev

Please feel free to pass onto me via a message any djs you have in mind Kev, always looking for that little bit of something else... Keeps it fresh....

Also any djs/ collectors out there are welcome to drop us a note, a little nudge is good sometimes....

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Yvonne1

not for me to say who you should book ady, but you could do far worse than pete eccles[ he is pete60 on here] hes a man that can and does mix it at many a venue and imo and others deserves a chance further a field

Pete certainly can fill the floor and a really fella aswell
Social source share

Depends what you're trying to achieve and the night's about. If it's about your ego it doesn't matter a s*ite who else you have on, unless they can do something to feed it.

Dead simple rules of thumb for me would be:

a. Do you respect em - as people, djs and /or collectors?

b. Have they got the records?

c. Can they put a set together?

If any of those are missing I wouldn't bother personally. Not rocket science but it's a smaller field than people think imho.

i agree 100% with a-b-c

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think what people also tend to overlook is that probably 95% of people in any given venue don't actually give a toss who's actually playing the music so long as it's music they like or can dance to. :)

Roger

very true '100% spot on

Social source share

Guest 1 huskyvan

we at denton soul club put on djs that bother to come and see what the customers want to hear and dance to and not what the dj wants them to listen to i hate when so called big name djs swan in with 10 mins b4 there set play some tunes and disappear they dont even have the decency to find out whats already been played

Social source share

Guest RudeLead

Here in Oslo, a new scene of young DJ's is emerging with focus on rare and classic modern dancers, boogie and disco.

It's not that big, so we promote ourselves.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!