Dee Dee Sharp - (Artist Of The Week)

"I Really Love You" is her finest moment, in my opinion.

And after 47 years it sounds better than ever.

How many of today's records will we be able to say that about ???

Paul

Social source share

There's footage of Dee Dee doing "I Really Love You" on American Bandstand. Sadly the audio's not up to scratch on any of the clips I can find on youtube.

Unbelievably there's also a great colour clip of The Ambassadors' version as well on another, later show which I can't identify.

Social source share

I also like "I Really love You". But, as a Chicagoan, I'm really partial to her Chicago style Conlo productions, "Standing In The Need Of Love" and "It's A Funny Situation". I could hear Barbara Green on Vivid, or Mary Wells on ATCO singing these 2 great Barrett Strong Chicago compositions/arrangements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rux1nN6CP5g

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Speaking of Dee Dee having 3 songs produced by Jerry Butler's "Conlo Productions (the 3rd being released on Cameo/Parkway subsidiary Fairmount), I wonder in which studio those were cut, and which background singers were used. Conlo also produced another Barrett Strong Jalynne song sung by The Orlons (Cameo 384) ("No Love But Your Love"). I assume that Conlo came about When Jerry Butler started working a lot of the time in Philadelphia, after Mercury Records started him working with Gamble and Hufff in 1965. The Conlo Records label has a Philadelphia building on its logo, and I didn't recognise any Chicago artists on its releases. Also, the recordings by Dee Dee and The Orlons sound more like Philadelphia recordings than Chicago (although, they captured the Chicago style very well).

I assume that Butler (who had worked with Barrett Strong when they were together at VJ Records) (1962-early 1965) contacted him to write some material for artists with whom he wanted to work (in Philadelphia). They were Jalynne songs, as Strong had, by then, an exclusive contract with Carl Davis. So, I would like to know which Philadelphia studio recorded them, which person was the producer and ran the session (Butler and Strong? or a Philly producer?)if, indeed they were not recorded in Chicago. There was a male group (or single male) singing backgrounds, and also a female group on some of these cuts. Does anyone know who they were? Cameo/Parkway groups of the period?

Does anyone know if Jerry Butler relocated to Philadelphia for his Gamble/Huff years? Or did he just have an apartment there, and keep his house in Chicagoland, and commute back and forth? I was surprised to find out that he worked with people in Philadelphia away from Gamble and Huff and their association with Mercury Records. The Dee Dee Sharp and Orlons work must have come through Gamble and Huff because they were working with Cameo-Parkway at the time. But some most (if not all) of the Conlo Records' productions seem to have no connection to Gamble and Huff.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest peter burke

When appearing at Prestatyn a few years ago she didn't include "Touch My Life" in her set but very kindly sang it down the phone in to our ansaphone at home, word perfect including the little laugh towards the end.

So nice.

Pete

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 16/07/2012 at 12:57, Dave Harrison said:

.....and from the same album - Touch my life

https://youtu.be/SWTXwfMRaVk

On 16/07/2012 at 13:47, Keamus said:

Touch My Life is a fantastic track. Think it was a Robin Salter tip in Shades of Soul late 80s.

Her LP only version of Comin Home Baby is brilliant too.

On 24/07/2012 at 12:29, peter burke said:

When appearing at Prestatyn a few years ago she didn't include "Touch My Life" in her set but very kindly sang it down the phone in to our ansaphone at home, word perfect including the little laugh towards the end.

So nice.

Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!