When An Oldie Is Fresh To Your Ears

I don't like either of them myself but there you go.

Carms, the Len Jewell was played in 1976, got pressed to early, not that many people know it but I know a lot of people like the B side as well.

Those pressings were sold as originals at one point.

Social source share

I don't like either of them myself but there you go.

Carms, the Len Jewell was played in 1976, got pressed to early, not that many people know it but I know a lot of people like the B side as well.

Those pressings were sold as originals at one point.

There quite good boots too !!!

Russ

Social source share

Sean Hayden reminded me of this blast from the past recently, I had completely forgotten it !!!....now that is the essence of a great re activated oldie IMO....anyway, get ya hips round this Cleethorpes/Mecca thumper !!!. Anyone for for funky Northern ?.

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Sean Hayden reminded me of this blast from the past recently, I had completely forgotten it !!!....now that is the essence of a great re activated oldie IMO....anyway, get ya hips round this Cleethorpes/Mecca thumper !!!. Anyone for for funky Northern ?.

Exactly the type of record i'm talking about at the moment on my Cleggy /Clifton/Mecca thread,but would the oldies crowd take to it thats the question

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Believe it or not Russ, this is one of my favourite records from WIGAN (september/october 76) would you believe, I think Pep was the only one who played it but I've always loved it and always had a copy.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Carms,

If I'm following the thread properly, at Brighouse last month, a real gentleman / great guy came up and thanked me profusely for playing Game Players by Dooley S.

Said he'd not heard it played out for the longest time, [ he may have said 20 + years, but I may be exaggerating here as he was saying what I loved hearing ], and he was so bloody chuffed, that I was too.

Makes up , x a factor of 1000, for the occasional ' challenge ' you get when dj'ing, for not playing / having the first choice of the person requesting! [ Not a normal issue at Brighouse, for the avoidance of doubt ]

pete

Edited by ricticman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Carms,

If I'm following the thread properly, at Brighouse last month, a real gentleman / great guy came up and thanked me profusely for playing Game Players by Dooley S.

Said he'd not heard it played out for the longest time, [ he may have said 20 + years, but I may be exaggerating here as he was saying what I loved hearing ], and he was so bloody chuffed, that I was too.

Makes up , x a factor of 1000, for the occasional ' challenge ' you get when dj'ing, for not playing / having the first choice of the person requesting! [ Not a normal issue at Brighouse, for the avoidance of doubt ]

pete

pete

Good for you playing it Pete, great record, in fact on one of my recent podcasts of GOOD 70's dancers

Social source share

Good for you playing it Pete, great record, in fact on one of my recent podcasts of GOOD 70's dancers

I tried to license it for "Inspired! Blood, Soul, Sweat & Cheers" - my 'Olympics' compilation - it would have been brilliant to kick off CD2 with but alas all efforts to trace Sonny Casella (owner of Sonny Records, New York) came to no avail. I even rang David Kassner (son of Ed) who originally issued it in the UK on Seville but the trail went cold for him too. A real shame. It sounds just fantastic again!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

If people are after original northern oldies then 'like her' and'can you imagine that' are the real deal !

Social source share

Couple of oldies that hit the mark for me were played by Trev Thomas at York Soul Club awhile back.Got that warm feeling you get when you hear a tune that transports you back to been a teenager again............

Lorraine Rudolph-Keep Coming Back For More Jet Stream

Dave Love-Baby Hard Times Worlds

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest moggy

Like her used to be a £2 quid sound, good though

my contribution Fear Not the Legends same sort of feel

I loved to watch the shufflers to love her

Social source share

Believe it or not Russ, this is one of my favourite records from WIGAN (september/october 76) would you believe, I think Pep was the only one who played it but I've always loved it and always had a copy.

We used play this at the Aquarius in Hednesford back in the day,,, N x

Social source share

Guest colin brown

There must be thousands of "Oldies"that have been disregarded,over the Years.I would love to go somewhere and a Jock would "This got a few plays back in ....)and then say,but it is right for today!!!!

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Best oldie new to me in recent years was when I first got together with my husband Dave Molloy and he played me Lady, Lady, Lady - Colt 45's... What a tune! Gary Rushbrook play at Wigan!

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

Couple of oldies that hit the mark for me were played by Trev Thomas at York Soul Club awhile back.Got that warm feeling you get when you hear a tune that transports you back to been a teenager again............

Lorraine Rudolph-Keep Coming Back For More Jet Stream

Dave Love-Baby Hard Times Worlds

Cheers

Martyn

Lorraine Rudolph is one hell of a tune!

Social source share

From exactly the same period, that summer of 76...Wigan again (I say Wigan cos I never went anywhere else)

Would agree, I don't remember hearing this at St Ives until the autumn of 76 - hated it then, love it now !

Social source share

Nice choice Martyn - not heard this (I don't think) since Dickie played it at Wigan. I posted it up on DtheDrugs thread a bit back.

Bought this dead cheap back in the day - fetches a few quid these days i think.

:thumbsup:

So,So, Soulful with a brilliant backing. GET IT PLAYED !!!!!!!!!! :thumbup::hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!