Dream Live Act To See

Guest scottie

Guest scottie

Major Lance for Me ,he made many many great tunes,would have been Edwin Starr ,but i did see him a couple of times

Bazza

Social source share

If it can include artists who have died well my ideal concert would be

opening act - Jimi Hendrix

followed by

David Bowie Ziggy era with the Spiders

then

Sex Pistols classic 76 line up

the Slade

and finally

The Beatles to end things, that would be the Beatles circa 68 not 64

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band in the 70's could have seen them as they played local several times but only listened to Soul,

tremendous value for money!

Free late 60's

Curtis Mayfield anytime

Marvin Gaye 70's

Then a blues concert

Sonny Boy Williamson,B.B.King,John Lee Hooker,Buddy Guy etc.

Bessie Smith and Dinah Washington

Social source share

saw them in 1974 at southampton , bloody awesome

I saw them in Wolverhampton in 73 - I think they were awesome because when I said I "saw" them, I couldn't see a thing, everyone stood on their seats. Still remember how disappointed I felt.

Sorry it was 72 not 73.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

The Dells gig was at Trentham Gardens (Stoke) .... I know coz I was there.

The group were OK , well better than OK , well better even than that really.

In fact they were bl**dy fantastic, think I had a tear in my eye for most of their performance.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I saw them in Wolverhampton in 73 - I think they were awesome because when I said I "saw" them, I couldn't see a thing, everyone stood on their seats. Still remember how disappointed I felt.

Sorry it was 72 not 73.

luckily, we were in front row of the circle so saw everything, if i'd been down in the stalls i dont think i would have stood a chance, i was only 11 at the time,

Social source share

As we seem to have strayed off soul acts & onto shows we actually were at .......

With a few mates from Dony, I caught the (3am) train down to London on Sunday 7th May 1967 ....

... we spent the day searching out records on Petticoat Lane & in the west end before heading off to the Saville Theatre to see Garnett Mimms.

Garnett put on a great show but we were far less impressed by the 'top of the bill'; a US guitar player called Jimi Hendrix (in fact we left just before he finished his act).

Also In the audience for the show that Sunday at the Saville Theatre, it later turned out, were Brian Jones, Ringo Starr, the Moody Blues, the Beach Boys, David Bowie (+ his mates Dek Fearnley, John Eager and all their girlfriends). Among the support acts were David Bowie's friends 1-2-3 and Denny Laine's Electric String Band (can't say I even recall them at all, so they can't have been too good in soul terms).

post-22122-0-58521800-1342522845_thumb.j

Social source share

The Dells for me,to hear one of my all time vocalists : Marvin Junior.

Gutted i missed the late 80`s gig they did at Blackpool.Heard it was awesome and one of them`you had to have been there` moments.

Wayne it was 1999 - you're 10 years out as well as in the wrong town - you must get north of Watford more often !. Mike

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band in the 70's could have seen them as they played local several times but only listened to Soul,

tremendous value for money!

Free late 60's

Curtis Mayfield anytime

Marvin Gaye 70's

Then a blues concert

Sonny Boy Williamson,B.B.King,John Lee Hooker,Buddy Guy etc.

Bessie Smith and Dinah Washington

would have been great to see old Alex perform "Faith healer" and "Delila"regards S.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I'd like to have seen the Ron Grainer orchestra performing all the classics including a extended version of Dr.Who.This with the original Ladybirds as backing , now your talking eh ? white boots an all . Regards Simon.

I'd just like to add Barry Gray sound as warm up doing all the classics like theme from U.F.O ect.

Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

Saw Marvin Gaye at Bradford shortly before he died! Did the duet to a backing screen..Amazing! Al Green + Margie Joseph & Oscar Toney Jnr at the Hardrock early 70's were good...the Temps with Dennis Edwards(with Funk Bros backing I think!) were great but would have loved to see the 1965 version as others have said..they would be my dream live act..

Social source share

Saw Sam & Dave at Sheffield City Hall around 1968 (their 1st UK visit after the Stax / Volt tour).... they were more than great !!

I saw em @ Sheffield Fiesta in 1972 and that's the best live gig I've ever seen. They were incredible......they must have liked Sheffield!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Wayne it was 1999 - you're 10 years out as well as in the wrong town - you must get north of Watford more often !. Mike

Really Mike,i passed the knowledge that year so was on a working buzz for next 3 years++ :hypo: ,must have got town and year all confused :facepalm: .

I`m trying to get `up North ` more,hopefully see ya soon fella.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brian smith

Mine are probably boring and predictable but I don't care cos I loves em all.

• The Four Tops
  • The Temptations
  • Paul Williams when he sang For Once In My Life. WOW!!
  • Eva Cassidy. Did'nt expect that did ya :)

Beats all the shit on MTV and all them other wank channels.

Social source share

Guest Gazfunk

Sam & Dave and Jackie Wilson for me as well. Stevie Wonder in the early days.

Something like Iggy & Stooges at the time would've been mad, Beatles 67/68, Fela Kuti and Jacques Dutronc. I suppose seeing Hendrix for the first time just as he was getting big would've been an experience (sorry!)

Social source share

Sam & Dave and Jackie Wilson for me as well. Stevie Wonder in the early days.

Something like Iggy & Stooges at the time would've been mad, Beatles 67/68, Fela Kuti and Jacques Dutronc. I suppose seeing Hendrix for the first time just as he was getting big would've been an experience (sorry!)

I saw Sam & Dave in the 60's ... awesome ...

I also saw Hendrix twice in the 60's ... wandered off 'bored' after he had sung "Hey Joe" (good) & then a couple of totally soul-less tunes during the 1st show .... walked out of the 2nd show after he commenced his live highlight (playing his guitar between his legs as though it was his member & then setting fire to the damn thing -- the guitar that is .... yawn zzzzzzzzzz).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!