News: Sad News Bob Babbitt Has Passed Away.

robert kreinar aka bob babbitt, who stepped up to the plate as the prime alternative to jamerson, who even in the great man's shadow, accredited himself to a jewel encrusted plethora of motown anthems and a myriad of moonlighting sessions that are interwoven into our northern soul scene.

i can say it was a privilage to have witnessed this great man display his unwavering talent and ability firsthand at the carling apollo in manchester some 8 years ago now, a display jointly with his fellow funk brothers that i will never forget. the abiding memory is that his contribution to popular music was finally recognised after over 4 decades in anonimity...finally achieving the spotlight he so richly deserved.

there's a great rythmn section being put together upstairs.....one day we'll ALL get to see them perform.

god rest your soul bob babbitt, funk brother

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Bob Babbit, - Guitarist.

That single solitary word can't even attempt to do justice to the influence that Pittsburg native, Mr Robert Kreinar wielded with his weapons of choice: the Fender Precision Bass and it's jazz variant. When his Fender was stolen he changed horses midstream and went with a CBS Precision. Well, the tools may have been different but the end results were surely the same. Instantly recognize-able as the bottom end sound of so many of America's iconic records of the glory era, he stepped into the shoes of probably THE most revered black musician in America at the time: James Jamerson and was fully expected to fall short of the tormented Motown genius. It's surely the greatest testament of all that many listeners didn't realize the difference.

'Babbit' was in demand in all the musical centres of the nation and played in most of the legendary "Temples of Sound" from coast to coast. From the crooner like Frank Sinatra to the raucus sound of Norman Whitfield, Babbit played it all. When Donald Storball wrote "Now gimme a little bass with those... 88s" it was an invitation that Babbit was only too happy to accept and the bass line for "Cool Jerk" surely ranks up there with Jamerson's "Uptight" as one of the most instantly recognize-able use of the instrument of all time. Just to remind ourselves of exactly how good this bassline is I've added a clip of his performance below.

There are many semi known and some would say unsung heroes in music and along with Clarence Clemons, Minnie Ripperton, Van McCoy, The Funk Brothers etc it's satisfying to know that they realized their lifes' works were indeed appreciated before they passed and there's no doubt that Bob Babbit sits high on that list. His character wouldn't allow him to sit and bask in his glory though and I've added a clip of an interview he did which shows an insight into the man and his view on life.

So...as is usual at our house at these times, we'll crack a few cans, drag out a few dusty boxes of vinyl records, pick out a few 45s and celebrate the fantastic musical legacy of one of the greatest musicians ever to lay down a track onto vinyl. And with a legacy that includes over 25 Gold and Platinum records, it's gonna be a long night!

The illness finally claimed him and the pain is over, so having shaken off your mortal coil Mr Bob Babbit, please step forward and take a well earned bow Sir, for a job...extremely well done.

Regards,

Dave

very well said dave, here, here :hatsoff2:

Social source share

i have to say,may and i were very fortunate that particular january evening, in that we waited behind in the auditorium. i had with me weldon mcdougall's book...i asked alan slutsky if he would ask the brothers if they would oblige us with their autographs....moments later he came back, job done...we have a treasured memory...its hard even now to come to terms with the fact that 3 of the 6 have passed over since then.....as we say, the only certainty in life is death....but the historical documents that bob and the other guys bestowed on the world, will never die, their music will be like the stars...eternal.

Social source share

Dave, your post says it all and Babbitt puts the finishing touches on it. Actually, Cool Jerk knocked me out of my #1 slot in Detroit (What Can I Do) and the Funks played on both of them. I'm so glad he interviewed. Believe it or not, this is the most I've heard Bob speak! When he came to the sessions, he came to work. Not a lot of talk, just fingering. Maybe the other guys didn't give him a chance to speak (they spoke constantly), but this was so refreshing. A true professional.

Lorraine

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As has already been said the only certainty in life is death which comes to us all in the end. For me, the passing of my 'heroes', and there is no question that Mr Babbit falls into that category, makes me ponder my age and subsequently my own mortality. I suppose that's rather sad really but having said that I can still carry on listening to Soul music and Motown in particular and know, truly know that it is right up there along with the very best that popular music has given us over the last 50 to 60 years and I reckon Mr Babbit knew that too. Right on indeed.

Social source share

As has already been said the only certainty in life is death which comes to us all in the end. For me, the passing of my 'heroes', and there is no question that Mr Babbit falls into that category, makes me ponder my age and subsequently my own mortality. I suppose that's rather sad really but having said that I can still carry on listening to Soul music and Motown in particular and know, truly know that it is right up there along with the very best that popular music has given us over the last 50 to 60 years and I reckon Mr Babbit knew that too. Right on indeed.

dont understate it mick, MOTOWN...IS the yardstick by which all other musical influences & tastes, stand or fall....with you all the way on this one bro. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave, your post says it all and Babbitt puts the finishing touches on it. Actually, Cool Jerk knocked me out of my #1 slot in Detroit (What Can I Do) and the Funks played on both of them. I'm so glad he interviewed. Believe it or not, this is the most I've heard Bob speak! When he came to the sessions, he came to work. Not a lot of talk, just fingering. Maybe the other guys didn't give him a chance to speak (they spoke constantly), but this was so refreshing. A true professional.

Lorraine

spoken like an accomplished professional that you are, lorraine. have you read the obituary in the dfp? bet you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife at pied piper, it must have bristled with electricity when these guys were around....wonder how jack, eddie & joe are taking it?, probably never see them on these shore again...just so privilaged and humbled that we saw them perform at the apollo and then the festival hall, the following year...ironic that within 7 days of that concert, joe hunter passed away...got to shake his hand, have a chat and take his picture...for the last time.

im sure that you would express on all our behalf, this side of the pond, our sincere condolences to bob's relatives. take care soul sister.

Edited by AGENTSMITH
Social source share

RIP Mr Babbitt

remembering a great chat we had on soulful detroit when reminded that he wrote 'love and devotion' for Danny Woods

"oh i forgot about that said Bob, well hundreds of northern fans haven't Bob and never will - thanks for the memories

Social source share

RIP Mr Babbitt

remembering a great chat we had on soulful detroit when reminded that he wrote 'love and devotion' for Danny Woods

"oh i forgot about that said Bob, well hundreds of northern fans haven't Bob and never will - thanks for the memories

He co wrote and produced 'I'm stuck on my baby' and ' Why do you treat me like you do' for Irene and the Scotts too.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

R.I. P. Bob. Thank you for saying yes, and being there. Your passing is re defining my next move musically. You have made me think again.....

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!