Vibrasound Studios Schenectady Ny-Robert Berry- Little Vibra Kandy

Apologies first- I posted this on another forum. No replies so far- so I thought try here. As part of the couple of records from a friend included the jimmy lane disc- I need help on a couple of others. They are both from the vibra-sound studios. I assume both have robert berry as the producer. I didn't listen to them. The vibra one is quite dirty so so shape. Thanks in advance-m

post-27825-0-31734400-1342809166_thumb.j

post-27825-0-65512000-1342809186_thumb.j

post-27825-0-23581900-1342809207_thumb.j

post-27825-0-16504300-1342809224_thumb.j

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

What are you seeking here? I have the Essentials 45, haven't played it in a long time but I remember it's 60s pop with some soul influence. The Pushers looks interesting, I don't recall hearing that one. There are other records on Vibra, garage, country, some of them are rare and in demand. I don't know if Robert Barry was involved in any of these records. I think the operation was a vanity/package plan deal and Vibra was the standard house label. Kama was a record label that produced vanity stuff as well, they also did some Pay-To-Play / Song-Poem records along with some more standard releases. I think they were out of Schenectady also. Are you looking to sell? Price information?

The Jimmy Lane 45 is a recent quantity find, that accounts for the price drop. I dunno how many as I am not a cool funk beard rockin' dude that's in the circle.

Edited by George G
Social source share

Hi George- I wasn't understanding how the pay to play concept worked. So there might be hundreds of different labels out of this studio?

You answered a lot. The only other thing I was looking for was anything on Robert Berry. I thought with the interest in the Jimmy Lane, there might be other sought after records with his input. Or anything about him. Very appreciated-m

Social source share

Pay-To-Play is a term I made up years ago to describe record labels that artists paid to have their recordings pressed, distributed, and promoted. In many cases it was not a very wise investment. The most egregious example of this is the AMG/Pilot Master operation from Cincinnati.

Back to Vibra - I presume Robert Barry was a studio employee or hired gun freelancer that produced at will. His name being on one sought after 45 doesn't mean it has any collector appeal beyond people wanting that record. Hundreds of records/labels is probably a bit high. Including the Pushers, I can probably think of 15-20 records that are connected to Vibra or Kama, but I don't know how many the song-poem business released.

Do you know famed mastering engineer / Sundazed owner Bob Irwin? He lived in that area (I met him 20+ years ago at an Albany record show) and might know more about the Vibra operation

Edited by George G
Social source share

Hi George - the p2p term is spot on. I don't know of Bob Irwin. I never really thought about smaller studios; your analysis really explains a lot. Thanks again-m

Ps- There' s a pretty good chance I will be getting more 45's from the vibra- sound studios . If & when, I will try to follow up this thread.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!