Over Rated Records

Daz

Whilst I'm a Detroit vinyl collector,several items will never take their place in my own collection, Wombat, Getting on life, Burning Bush, Keeps on Burning, and Tim Tam & the Turn ons,Wait a minute......Absolute dirge......well IMHO anyway :yes:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

'Tainted Love'. Never understood the appeal. But 'Gone with the wind is my love' more than makes up for it.

Social source share

Whilst I'm a Detroit vinyl collector,several items will never take their place in my own collection, Wombat, Getting on life, Burning Bush, Keeps on Burning, and Tim Tam & the Turn ons,Wait a minute......Absolute dirge......well IMHO anyway :yes:

agreed. outside detroit I have to add scorpio and his people, andrew brown on brave. I hate the first and cant believe the appeal the second has (to some).

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Where do I start...

Magnetics - Lady In Green

Joey Delorenzo - Wake up to the sunshine girl

Joe Jama - My Life

Betty Wright - Mr Lucky

Margaret Little - Love Find A Way

and...

Mello Souls - We Can Make It (there i've said it)

All personal opinion of course

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Where do I start...

Magnetics - Lady In Green

Joey Delorenzo - Wake up to the sunshine girl

Joe Jama - This Life

Betty Wright - Mr Lucky

Margaret Little - Love Find A Way

and...

Mello Souls - We Can Make It (there i've said it)

All personal opinion of course

joey delorenzo

joe jamma

margaret little

all prime examples of dog toilet, i would also like to add george pepp to that list

Edited by trev thomas
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Have I mentioned how much I detest the Professionals - Thats Why I Love You?

I really do you know.

Seven Souls as well. Cant understand why its a 'classic'.

But, apart from Joe Jama, I love with a passion all the records in Matt's list. Just love 'em.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Personal tastes doesn't mean the record is 'shite' just not your cup of tea.

Majestics - I Love You So Much ... Seems like it would be better placed at a Salsa Class but hey, it packs the floor wherever it's played. !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JohanT

I have hated this record forever and imo has to be one of the most over rated records on the scene.............

Coco & Ben - good feelin - horrible!

just had to get off my chest.

I like the flip side "See the world as it is"...

Social source share

i would also like to add george pepp to that list

Well he certainly can't sing that's for sure. i could do a better job.

Billy Watkins - The Iceman. "Any ice, today lady" No thanks. :shhh:

In it's day a very rude comedy record, full of double entendres, so I find it quite amusing. Wouldn't like to hear it out now though...:no:

Social source share

Well he certainly can't sing that's for sure. i could do a better job.

In it's day a very rude comedy record, full of double entendres, so I find it quite amusing. Wouldn't like to hear it out now though... :no:

Billy Watkins always makes me smile...quote...

"they dig my fast delivery !"

"they love the way I move about !!"

and the best..

"I don't make a mess, I get in and out !!!"

I didn't like it until I realised it was intended as a "nod and a wink" have a laugh type thing.

Social source share

In it's day a very rude comedy record, full of double entendres, so I find it quite amusing. Wouldn't like to hear it out now though... :no:

Well I didn't know that. :hatsoff2:

I'll have to give it another listen out of curiosity now. Won't make it any less of a turd, but yeah..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hey Wilxy.......what about NABAY......thats gotta be up there

Social source share

Eddie Parker I'm Gone Well and truly overrated, probably due to rarity.

Kegsy

I always recall a conversation I had with a former '60s Mod; he commented that many of the records that started Northern Soul were thought to be, at the time, 'crap' (his words). I don't particularly like Frank Wilson's version of 'Do I love you'. It's rarity has become a fetish, far exceeding, IMHO, the artistic merits of the recording. We all have different tastes, and since many of the tracks that make up Northern Soul were rejected, by their original audience, there's going to be a fair bit of aural crap in there, along with the absolute gems; that's life....

Social source share

George Pepp - The feeling is real

Dottie and Millie - Talkin' bout my baby

Lada Edmund Jr - The larue

Margaret Little - Love finds a way

Ken Barlow - third window.......from the cabin.

Think they're all stinkers, soz :)

Was waiting for the ultimate,and it didn't take long.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Any thread where people talk about what they hate or gang up on some person who may or may not have actually done something wrong gets the ultimate participation on this site. I'm a pretty negative person and it seems extreme to even me. Maybe it has something to do with age.

I was going to say that before being distracted by an attention seeker!

It would be nice for people to talk postively at least about the music, once in a while.

I think that Sweet Soul thread is crying out for you to start it Bob, I suspect there are many people on here like me, who don't have a clue about it and would love to be educated. In a nice way!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It would be nice for people to talk postively at least about the music, once in a while.

I think that Sweet Soul thread is crying out for you to start it Bob, I suspect there are many people on here like me, who don't have a clue about it and would love to be educated. In a nice way!

Wasn't Sweet Soul the stuff we were trying to find an alternative to back in the 70's hence many of us discovering Northern Soul?

Nice music but last record at the disco stuff.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Any thread where people talk about what they hate or gang up on some person who may or may not have actually done something wrong gets the ultimate participation on this site. I'm a pretty negative person and it seems extreme to even me. Maybe it has something to do with age.

Hi.jpg

Yep let's just say nice things about everyone and everything, no criticism of anything at all, flowers and chocolates and jelly and balloons all round. Every soul record ever made is absolutely brilliant, there are no bad ones in Bob and Jocks magical happy place.

What a fab forum it would be if we all followed those rules and didn't dislike anything at all.

Or you could just leave...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wasn't Sweet Soul the stuff we were trying to find an alternative to back in the 70's hence many of us discovering Northern Soul?

Nice music but last record at the disco stuff.

Its got soul in the title so butt out, stick to talking about that 3 year period in the 70's that you cannot get out of.

And you obviously know as much about disco, that is really soul, not disco that is John Travolta, so butt out part 2!

Or should I say, shut it loser.

Yep let's just say nice things about everyone and everything, no criticism of anything at all, flowers and chocolates and jelly and balloons all round. Every soul record ever made is absolutely brilliant, there are no bad ones in Bob and Jocks magical happy place.

What a fab forum it would be if we all followed those rules and didn't dislike anything at all.

Or you could just leave...

Thats not what I am saying, you know I am up for a verbal ruckus when time and situation calls for it, I will argue with anyone over what is worth arguing about, but threads like this get far more attention than anything talking about good soul music and good soul artists, which more than a few people are interested. And threads like this, used to have some comic value but now it turns into a soul police/rarity fascist argument rather than the lack of merits of certain records.

So butt out part 3, if you had seen my original response you would have seen I was more than up for a bit of verbals over this, just can't be assed.

Which is butt out part 3 in case I did not make that obvious.

I take it the kids ate your chips and messed up your shirt so you thought you would grump on here. Tell them well done from me.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Its got soul in the title so butt out, stick to talking about that 3 year period in the 70's that you cannot get out of.

And you obviously know as much about disco, that is really soul, not disco that is John Travolta, so butt out part 2!

Or should I say, shut it loser.

Thats not what I am saying, you know I am up for a verbal ruckus when time and situation calls for it, I will argue with anyone over what is worth arguing about, but threads like this get far more attention than anything talking about good soul music and good soul artists, which more than a few people are interested. And threads like this, used to have some comic value but now it turns into a soul police/rarity fascist argument rather than the lack of merits of certain records.

So butt out part 3, if you had seen my original response you would have seen I was more than up for a bit of verbals over this, just can't be assed.

Which is butt out part 3 in case I did not make that obvious.

I take it the kids ate your chips and messed up your shirt so you thought you would grump on here. Tell them well done from me.

No, I just don't see the point of having a discussion about anything if nobody is allowed to say they don't like something. I don't like black pudding, I'm not going to say I like it just to make you happy am I...

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

?,did you ever play that Group/Sweet Soul Harmony Cd i gave you at Boomerang :wink:

Dave f.....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!