Over Rated Records

Daz

Even earlier, I think stuff like Keith Daylight Savin' Time, Gary Lewis & The Playboys My Heart Symphony, The Ventures Hawaii 5 O were 1974, PeteS will confirm this. I have great memories of 1975, ´cos it was when I started going up there.

I don't think anyone's in denial. There were a quite a few awful records played throughout the venue's history, but also some quite a few fabulous tunes too. The good outstrips the bad in my opinion. We've been here before, ain't we?

Apart from H50.....the others were at least a couple of years later than that macca!

Ok, is it a better record than Love You Baby ???

Kegsy

I don't believe anyone would need to ask that question :g:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Yes - Yes & Yes !!!!!

:thumbsup:

He stated that it was better than Cajun Hart version?????? its not even better than being shot!!

Thank god ive never heard it since :shhh:

Social source share

I'm a soul lover and I hate:

Anything southern - full of morons who can't sing

Disco and any sort of 70's soul - namby pamby crap

The Four Tops and The Temptations - Detroit? do me a favour! Tuneless wonders

Anything on RCA

Funk - Fatback band nonsense

Especially can't stand The Impressions and or Curtis Mayfield - hugely over rated and second rate.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Apart from H50.....the others were at least a couple of years later than that macca!

I don't believe anyone would need to ask that question :g:

No they weren't Steve, they were 74. Don't ask me to prove it because it'll break your heart hearing Richard Searling playing Gary Lewis in 1974.

Social source share

Anything on RCA

Especially can't stand The Impressions and or Curtis Mayfield - hugely over rated and second rate.

Just a little contentious, Joel! :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Anything on RCA

Blimey, and I thought I was being controversial saying I didn't like the Mello Souls.

By southern do you mean the Muscle Shoals sound? Stax, Goldwax, Hi Records etc...

Personally I love the harder edged soul of the south.

Social source share

Anything on RCA

:ohmy:

Social source share

No they weren't Steve, they were 74. Don't ask me to prove it because it'll break your heart hearing Richard Searling playing Gary Lewis in 1974.

I know your memory is better than mine Pete so ill stand corrected.....I got married in 74 for the 1st time so my mind was not as it should have been back then :rofl:
Social source share

Anything on RCA

Just out of interest, what do you like?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thism is going to upset a few elitists out there.

The Mello Souls. Stomping frantic, tuneless tosh!!

This was originally released on Matt Male :D

Social source share

...and a bit frustrated. understandably somehow.

but a quick look at the first page says that you were one of the early posters ?

in fact if if you look at the majority of posters they are all long time members and to a certain degree the talk is fairly run of the mill

only negative side that concerns me is people jumping in and trying to make out this thread is something that it aint

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Thism is going to upset a few elitists out there.

The Mello Souls. Stomping frantic, tuneless tosh!!

hello dave..............you can,t say thaaaaaaat!.......you,ve just shattered the holy grail lol :thumbup:

Social source share

I know it's been done before but any chance I get to ridicule the out of tune dirge that is George Lemons - Fascinating Girl - Gold Soul, I'm afraid I'm gonna grab it with both hands! :lol:

Jeeze, where to start? Musically, iIt has the appealing atmosphere of a poorly tuned Salvation Army band. And a Salvation Army band that has been forced to play in driving rainy weather conditions on a s remote a spot as say...Ilkley Moor. And bart' their hats!

George has obviously been listening to his Mum when she told him he could sing as no one in their right mind thinks he can hold a tune surely?

And to think that this was recorded at Terra Shirma? Perish the thought! :lol:

Sorry to have contributed to the plummeting of the conversation but any action, no matter how infinitesimal in the grand scheme of things, that may even remotely prevent any DJ with painted on 'lugoyles' pulling this from his Saturday night 'hotbox', simply has to be utilised. :yes:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

but a quick look at the first page says that you were one of the early posters ?

in fact if if you look at the majority of posters they are all long time members and to a certain degree the talk is fairly run of the mill

only negative side that concerns me is people jumping in and trying to make out this thread is something that it aint

I like threads like this because it's always fascinating to see what other peoples tastes are. I think to myself "How can anyone NOT like Frankie Crocker" while at the same time, someone else thinks "How can anyone LIKE Frankie Crocker". If people don't like the thread, just leave it alone and let those who are enjoying it carry on enjoying it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

George Lemons is often ridiculed but it rams the dance floor every time it is played, always has done. Maybe it is the records failings that make it so appealing? Maybe dancers just don't care what anoraks think :)

So did "My Hearts Symphony" by Gary Lewis and The Playboys......don't make it a gud 'un tho does it Chalky lad. :lol: :lol:

Anorak?? How very DARE you?! :ohmy::D:thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Surely part of the appeal is that a lot of these tunes were not well produced,didn,t have great voices...in short were not nice slick productions,but have that raw edged appeal we all like.......to my mind it all went wrong in the 70's when they started to get that way......luther van dross ect ect ect

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yes, George Lemons was not the greatest singer in the world, but if vocal quality were the sole qualifying criteria for a Northern Soul smash we wouldn't have too much to talk about. Gordon Russell is correct in identifying the rough, raw street level appeal of much of this music as a major part of its attraction. What's the antidote: "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" twelve times a night?

ah! you,ve been to the worlds no1 allnighter then :):thumbsup:

Social source share

Eh? I thought Defected was owned by Simon Dunmore (old 100club goer) Bob Sinclair owns Yellow recs in France.

But yeah it's a God awful record

I stand corrected Tony. It was Simon Dunmore.

Sinclair did Defected's first album but think I was confused by the D Train stuff like 'Darlin'

Noticed nobody has dared to come out & support the as you rightly call it 'God awful record' for fear of eternal ridicule :D

Tribute my arse....

Social source share

I stand corrected Tony. It was Simon Dunmore.

Sinclair did Defected's first album but think I was confused by the D Train stuff like 'Darlin'

Noticed nobody has dared to come out & support the as you rightly call it 'God awful record' for fear of eternal ridicule :D

Tribute my arse....

I knew Dunmore back in the 80's, still to say hello to. He was good mates of Ivor Jones back then another old Mod from West London :shhh:

What cracks me up is people will slag off The Carstairs (shame on you call yourselves soul fans) and not say a word about that Tribute shit. There are thousands of far far better House tracks too.

Social source share

I knew Dunmore back in the 80's, still to say hello to. He was good mates of Ivor Jones back then another old Mod from West London :shhh:

What cracks me up is people will slag off The Carstairs (shame on you call yourselves soul fans) and not say a word about that Tribute shit. There are thousands of far far better House tracks too.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Funny how most of the time when the Northern scene pick up on a so called House track it's a crap one.

Tribute, Joi Cardwell, Mr Day (who ain't that bad really but why oh why Soul On Wax), Tribute To Betty etc.

Social source share

Joy Cardwell wasn't a bad record i just couldn't understand the hype about it when there is thousands as good and better. On the House scene it was just another record :huh:

Social source share

Joy Cardwell wasn't a bad record i just couldn't understand the hype about it when there is thousands as good and better. On the House scene it was just another record :huh:

Agreed Tony. Played it as a new release for a few weeks then dropped it.

Seem to get a lot of requests for it now though but always pitch it down as it's way too fast for my old legs.

Yeah, get the tar back on the boil for Cunnie as he's admitted to pitching records down....

Social source share

Guest brian smith

Dean Parrish - Broken Bottles and Sticks

Jerry naylor - City Lights

Seven Souls - I Still Love You.

All Shite IMHO.

Social source share

Guest brian smith

Anything on RCA

Social source share

Guest brian smith

Gobsmacked at The Tops and Temps and also The Impressions and Curtis Mayfield :g:

These are IMHO of course as good as it gets.

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

I heard this played out somewhere, no idea where, but would be 73-79 - I'll hazard a guess at the Ritz :yes: . It ain't even music let alone soul.

BTW, as part of the refurb, did they cure that tap that was running constantly since about 77?

Social source share

Anything on RCA

Social source share

I heard this played out somewhere, no idea where, but would be 73-79 - I'll hazard a guess at the Ritz :yes: . It ain't even music let alone soul.

BTW, as part of the refurb, did they cure that tap that was running constantly since about 77?

media]

makes george lemons sound like leroy hutson....i love george lemons tho and madelines version of above tune

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Agreed Tony. Played it as a new release for a few weeks then dropped it.

Seem to get a lot of requests for it now though but always pitch it down as it's way too fast for my old legs.

Yeah, get the tar back on the boil for Cunnie as he's admitted to pitching records down....

I like Joi Caldwell. Agree about Mr. Day. It's a nothing tune.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!