Is This Now The Rarest /dearest 100 Club Anniversary Single ?

Guest trickbag

320827000284.jpg

Start Time: 01/09/2012 End Time: 01/16/2012

Seller Feedback: 876 Buyer Feedback: 201

End Price: $85.60 USD Number of Bids: 4

320827000284.jpg

For Sale Northern Soul Record 6T's 13th anniversary Special

Artist: Chuck Jackson

A side: What's With This Loneliness

Artist: The Superbs Strings

B Side: Surf and Soul

Label: Kent

Condition: Excellent

yes it is!!!!!.

for now.

ricky.

Social source share

I sold one of these for about £60 the other week ,,, then ive just seen this,, now going for £225

Did i miss a trick here or something???

And what makes some more expensive than other ,, i assume there s the same amount pressed each year

N x

6c5e2bf4ff6a59929309cabd95860100.jpg

https://www.rarenorth...his-loneliness/

Thing is Nige there's a world of difference between 'Going For" and "SOLD FOR". :lol::thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Is anyone actually surprised at the price knowing what the web site is?

No.

I auctioned one last year when I had a full set of 100 clubs to sell for someone. The highest priced one was actually the Double Cooking vocal, this Chuck jackson made about 80 quid I think

Social source share

I paid £20 for my copy last year off Anglo-American site, not sure if they realised or not that it was priced low or not, just glad I got it when I did.

I need just the Melba Moore to complete the set (cocked up when Pete listed it last year, got my dates mixed up). Anyway saw a copy last week listed on Ebay. The seller being Chris Anderton, as I was desperate to get it I emailed him asking if he'd pull it from Ebay and sell it to me. He was honest enough to say he didn't know what price to put on it, thought £40-£50, but would leave the listing to run. As I was away for the weekend and wouldn't have internet access I put in a bid of somewhere in the region of £95, in the hope of winning it. Imagine my suprise when I got home to find I hadn't won it and that in fact Chris had for his part, made the correct decision.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=261065395628&nma=true&rt=nc&si=H9SxdHmhFkcEj64vXIF6bbYbApo%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

:hypo:

Just hope this doesn't set the price for any future copies. :facepalm:

Social source share

got to say ALL the ani 45s are released in the same amounts (400?) so none are rarer than others

that's correct but if you want to buy you depend on the number of copies in circulation. Some anniversary 45s are easier to find because musicallythey're weaker than others, whereas others are damn hard to find because nobody wants to sell them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

that's correct but if you want to buy you depend on the number of copies in circulation. Some anniversary 45s are easier to find because musicallythey're weaker than others, whereas others are damn hard to find because nobody wants to sell them.

Social source share

if theres 400 Than thats how manys in circulation !

That doesn't mean that all of them are in equal demand though.

Or that none of those 400 have been thrown away or broken.

Stating the blatantly obvious here but... the amount of copies around is not the only thing that dictates the price of a 45.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Stating the bleedin obvious here .... but if there were 400 copies made & the guys who own 390 will never consider selling it ....

...... then copies will hardly ever come up for sale & it will be a very rare 'sale item'.

Lots of folk who would want to get hold of 100 Ani 45's are no longer attending nighters or live too far away from London to get to the club on the night.

So there will always be folk chasing copies of these 45's .... but many will be priced out of the market.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Got many of the earlier 100 Club Ani 45's ... thanks to that kind Mr. Croasdell.

Coz I've got a copy of many, I don't really think of them as being 'items of great value' .....

.... however, I lust after copies of most of the ones I don't actually own .....

..... but that's a record collector 4 U; can't live with em , can't live without em.

P.S. don't let the wife know that many of these 45's are very easy to sell & command a good price; otherwise she'll be posting em up on Evilbay before I can say .... WHAT !!!

Social source share

I attended the 100 club anniversary where the 'Chuck Jackson' 45 was handed out and seem to remember a lot of copies left behind as it was considered too slow for many peoples taste at the time. Can anyone confirm this or was it just a figment of my imagination?

Brilliant record BTW.

Dave

Social source share

I attended the 100 club anniversary where the 'Chuck Jackson' 45 was handed out and seem to remember a lot of copies left behind as it was considered too slow for many peoples taste at the time. Can anyone confirm this or was it just a figment of my imagination?

Brilliant record BTW.

Dave

What I don't understand is there is no room for anything remotely down tempo these days.......or is that just Terry? So why are records like this fetching so much money, are they DJ's or simply collectors?

Back then it would probably have been more acceptable although '92/'93was when IMO the scene started to regress back to an oldies mentality.

Social source share

Is anyone actually surprised at the price knowing what the web site is?

As noted the price asked isn't the price gained John. The site selling does tend to put high headline prices for certain 45's but I doubt they are always sold at the price advertised.

As Chalky comments below, to my mind 'Magic Touch' will always be the real gem of this series...

Social source share

Guest brian smith

Top Draw Soul Music and considering some of the shit that commands top dollar, I think it's worth it.

The fact that it was given out as a freebie ( I was'nt there so if I am incorrect please feel free to shoot me with a shit gun) should not distract from the fact that its a wonderful piece of soul music.

Social source share

Brilliant record BTW.

Dave

A figment, it was already huge down there by the time it was pressed. Possibly people the worse for wear on what is traditionally an over-indulgence night left there's about because they were ga-ga.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The late nineties saw other venues providing anniversary singles e.g King Georges Hall, Blackburn 4th anniversary, Bretby (linda griner and 12" terry callier, Lowton Celeste hardy and doni Burdick plus Ty karim and JD Bryant) and no doubt a few others at the time.

It seems to me there is a bit of a north/south divide on the prices i.e. more expensive for the 100 club anniversary 45's, yet I believe the KGH single (belita woods c/w darrell banks) had 500 pressed and Bretby's linda griner press was only 100/250, I've seen Lowton's celeste hardie/doni burdick going for between £5 and £20.

Then the other venues started giving anniversary C.D.s!, thank god the 100 club still does vinyl, I think if they ever gave out anniversary CDs, instead of vinyl then it would signal the END.

I personally would never sell my 100 club anniversary records, but would sell the other ones I got from other venues.

Louis

Social source share

The late nineties saw other venues providing anniversary singles e.g King Georges Hall, Blackburn 4th anniversary, Bretby (linda griner and 12" terry callier, Lowton Celeste hardy and doni Burdick plus Ty karim and JD Bryant) and no doubt a few others at the time.

It seems to me there is a bit of a north/south divide on the prices i.e. more expensive for the 100 club anniversary 45's, yet I believe the KGH single (belita woods c/w darrell banks) had 500 pressed and Bretby's linda griner press was only 100/250, I've seen Lowton's celeste hardie/doni burdick going for between £5 and £20.

The big reason why the 6T's 45s go for so much money is because they usually are the first ever vinyl release for many of the tunes, not just a reissue of readily available tunes (Darrell Banks, Belita Woods etc. as in your example above).

Social source share

Ey up Louis how ya doing?

I think the vast majority if not all anniversary cds are illegal...how many have obtained the rights? I bet it is the same for some of the other anniversary singles as well, not all before you promoters jump down my throat.

Social source share

Strange! I've listed this about 3 times in the last 12 months. Tried for £100 originally. Dropped it to £80 the second time and on the 2nd of May this year put it at £65. Got one post from someone who asked for it to be put on hold and heard nothing since. Somebody could have had a bargain I guess. :g:

Steve

Edited by soulman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Then the other venues started giving anniversary C.D.s!, thank god the 100 club still does vinyl, I think if they ever gave out anniversary CDs, instead of vinyl then it would signal the END.

I personally would never sell my 100 club anniversary records, but would sell the other ones I got from other venues.

Louis

i think being the first, being so long running and as Chalky says being mainly unissued prior to the single has helped the collectibility of the series. Plus the licensing thing too, anyone can press up a 45 but you need good provenance for increasingly educated collectors.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I paid £20 for my copy last year off Anglo-American site, not sure if they realised or not that it was priced low or not, just glad I got it when I did.

I need just the Melba Moore to complete the set (cocked up when Pete listed it last year, got my dates mixed up). Anyway saw a copy last week listed on Ebay. The seller being Chris Anderton, as I was desperate to get it I emailed him asking if he'd pull it from Ebay and sell it to me. He was honest enough to say he didn't know what price to put on it, thought £40-£50, but would leave the listing to run. As I was away for the weekend and wouldn't have internet access I put in a bid of somewhere in the region of £95, in the hope of winning it. Imagine my suprise when I got home to find I hadn't won it and that in fact Chris had for his part, made the correct decision.

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...cvip=true&rt=nc

:hypo:

Just hope this doesn't set the price for any future copies. :facepalm:

Yeah it was a shock to me mate too! All of the bids went on the last 2 days too. When I left for Clacton on Friday it was $21.00!

Sure you will pick one up.

Chris

Social source share

Has anyone noticed that none of the Anniversary 45s (or perhaps one or two?) are mentioned in the UK Record Collector Price Guide? I once wrote a piece complete with scans on them but they never published it.

Ady, get onto them, I reckon a nice couple of pages in an upcoming issue would be fantastic

Social source share

A figment, it was already huge down there by the time it was pressed. Possibly people the worse for wear on what is traditionally an over-indulgence night left there's about because they were ga-ga.

What some dont realise, is that all of the Anniversary 45's have been massive at the 100 Club for some time before being released. Many are still well under the radar of most. Im always quite bemused, altho pleased, when all of a sudden years later they become in vogue with a wider audience...when they can be there, listening & dancin to the next potential anniversary single, or even have been there when these gems were first played, they all have a place in my heart, as most hold precious memories of that special under ground soul bunker the 100 Club, still THE Allnighter after all these years....dont wait for the anniversary, support the worlds no1 Allnighter now, were future anniversary singles can be appreciated when first played & there aint nothing like knowing you were there when it was first dropped.....

Sadly no longer a 'regular' due to my current address - however, I will be back & it will always be number one in my heart.

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!