News: Big Arctic Records Package Coming

Clues ............ top left is by Barbara Mason ...........

.... bottom centre is by a male group ...................

............ rest are by other artists !!!!

.... with one 45 cut being a tribute to a Baltimore radio DJ

Now you all know just about everything there is to know.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the big New York launch party (for the box CD / 45's set was yesterday ..........

I know lots of the old artists were being bused up from Philly to attend ...........

..........& Kenny Hamber was driving down from New England to be there ......

anyone on here attend or heard how it went (they were after publicity to help launch sales of the set).

Social source share

Was lucky enough to be there at the launch party last night, stacks of the artists on hand, including members of the Volcano's, Royal Five, Honey & the Bees, Soul Brothers 6, Kenny Hamber, Winfield Parker, and musicians/studio guys too, Bobby Eli and Tom Moulton (finally got to thank him for the Carstairs!) in particular. Frank is a wonderful, genuine guy, and rightfully proud of the box set they've bought together, almost all of the artists took time to emphasise how he's always looked after them properly, that's a rare thing to hear in the industry as you definitely all know. Was great catching up with a lot of them that hadn't seen for a good many years, even better to hear them then perform, not a live band but taking it in turns to sing over the cd's, first up were the Volcano's doing A Lady's Man then Storm Warning, the latter coming out much better, then Kenny Hamber stepped in and was masterful, no surprise there he's a true pro and sounds great still, followed by John Ellison of the SB6 who was truly a force of nature, wow that man has a voice and then some, Some Kind Of Wonderful was an understatement, closed with our old friend Winfield Parker, no surprises he just captivated the crowd, since he blew the crowd away headlining a Dig Deeper last year have realised how under-rated he is, somebody in Europe wake up and book him please, pure soul.

The box set itself was a day late in production but got to hold the proofs and it looks great, really classy job, very much hope it sells well like it deserves to.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

first up were the Volcano's doing A Lady's Man...

Don't s'pose there is a video floating around of this epic moment, is there...that's one of my all time fave storming Northern classics!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sadly the lead singer on this one last night forgot most of the lyrics and lost his way somewhat so stick with the record Flynny :ohmy: Plenty of people were recording including a professional looking outfit at the back so some footage is out there, hope you get to see some :thumbsup:

Social source share

A similar project -- the Rojac 45's box set (8 x 45's + record box) sells for £40 (Juno).

So I'd guess that makes the Arctic Package overpriced in comparison.

Mind you, it's (Rojac box) supposed to retail for £69, so that would work out at about the same price equivalent (about £9 per 45)

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

This is copied word for word from the official Jamie website.

My goodness is this unprofessional or what?

Frantic Records was a subsidary of Arctic Records. It might seem strange for a label as small as Arctic to have a subsidary label. The phenomenon reflected the industry's makeup of competitie distributors in most markets. So while a large label would command the resources of the distribuotor, little labels had to rely on the threat of "puuling the ine" and going to another distribuor to get the most commperation from a distribuor. A second label was a constant trat of to a distirbuor that the label could alsys go oto the other distribuor if the label perceived a difference in teir promoton or sae abilities.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

See this is now back down to £86 on Amazon - I guess that someone must have got mixed up with their currency conversions.

It's still a high price for a cd set but I've splashed out cos it was the only label I ever got close to completing (all of which have long gone) and it will let me see if the Cindy Gibson tracks (which i last heard in early 80's) are as good now as they were then.

Social source share

See this is now back down to £86 on Amazon - I guess that someone must have got mixed up with their currency conversions.

It's still a high price for a cd set but I've splashed out cos it was the only label I ever got close to completing (all of which have long gone) and it will let me see if the Cindy Gibson tracks (which i last heard in early 80's) are as good now as they were then.

It was only £85 in November on amazon so it's gone up a quid :)

Social source share

For some reason a certain era of American collector is obsessed with stereo mixes, even for stuff that was originally meant to be mono.

It's such a pity and a real lost opportunity to do things properly.

Ever since the Arctic/Jamie/Guyden stuff first started to appear on CD it's been the same. I remember buying the "Storm Warning" CD with "all new stereo mixes by Tom Moulton"... I don't care who re-mixed them, they sound like shit compared to the original 45s.

For example, listen to "Love Addict" on the box-set, one of the most in-your-face sounding 45s I have in my collection. This new stereo mix makes it sound mellow and disjointed in comparison.

It's as if the people doing the re-mixing/mastering have got no idea what the song was originally supposed to sound like.

Just becuase you have the multi-track tapes and can make a stereo mix, you don't have to do it. :facepalm:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Finally did get that Arctic 127, thanks John and Andy, and the Arctic box set "Cooler Than Ice" is out and available on our newly restarted website, jamguy.com; also through dusty groove and, one of these days, amazon.com. The track listing and layout of the 6 CDs and 6 45s are on the attached 4-page sales sheet and a separate image of the cover.

Jamguy.com's got the background on the Combo Kings, which I've fielded a lot of questions on since they're one of the 6 45s in the boxset but not otherwise on Arctic. Their "I'm At My Best When I'm Down" b/w "The Rock," were slated to be a Frantic release that never came out. They are also noted on track sheets for numerous Barbara Mason recordings.

To answer a question I saw on this thread, the Phil-LA of Soul-Miami connection came through Joey Stanzione, who headed Campus Distributors, which handled Jamie's labels in South Florida. Della Humphrey also notes in the Arctic book by Bill Dahl in "Cooler Than Ice" how she, a Miami teenager, got to Arctic from her manager's canvassing a deal during a music convention down there. And, yes, I am Harold Lipsius's son and run the label with my sister Julie, who's involved in international music publishing.

Frank Lipsius

ArcticCollectionSheet_AvailableNow_Email.pdf

post-25196-0-06708400-1356460688_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As for mono-stereo:

One of the big delays in getting the box set done was to make sure they were all mono (a first for Tom Moulton, who did it with increasing enthusiasm) and original mix-down tapes where possible. Services like spotify require stereo, according to our distributor, so may not be what's on the actual CDs.

Social source share

One of the singles is interesting, somebody said Unissued, or unreleased? Well, this did come out in fast and slow versions, the later on Ru Jac from Baltimore, so is this a third recording of this song by Winfield, or was the Fast version always an unreleased one?

Winfield Parker - I Love You Just The Same

Mal.C

Social source share

As for mono-stereo:

One of the big delays in getting the box set done was to make sure they were all mono (a first for Tom Moulton, who did it with increasing enthusiasm) and original mix-down tapes where possible. Services like spotify require stereo, according to our distributor, so may not be what's on the actual CDs.

OK... I guess I'll have to give the actual box-set a go then. :thumbsup:

It doesn't make any sense though that Spotify requires that the music is in stereo, they don't, there's lots of mono stuff on there.

So were two sets of mixes/masters done? Stereo for downloads and mono for the CDs?

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

We don't know how they work. It seemed they objected only when the file said "mono Mix" or referred to mono, and those were for the 6 45s. We didn't hear anything back about the CDs, though a great deal of time and effort went into making mono mixes or finding the mix downs, both by Tom Moulton and Peter Humphreys at Masterworks, our mastering studio. We told our distributor they were only in mono--what happened from there we don't know.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Got the box set. Pretty good IMO. A couple of gripes though.

1. The labels on the 45's don't look just like the 60's releases - no writer, publisher credits, no timings and no J/G logo

2. The sound quality on the 45's leaves a little to be desired in that they are very quiet. They appear to be very compressed on the vinyl only using. in a couple of cases, half the available space

3. One side of the "unreleased" Barbara Mason 45 is actually "Ain't Got Nobody" (exactly same mix) with a different title on the box set 45 label

Social source share

For some reason a certain era of American collector is obsessed with stereo mixes, even for stuff that was originally meant to be mono.

I only want to hear records in the manner recorded, i.e., stereo or mono. Something "processed" to be something it isn't is like drum machines and fake synths on soul music. (I like synths and drum machines, just not on soul music.)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure Ted .. if it was it's certainly done the rounds .. I thought there was at least one other

As an aside does anybody have Honey & The Bees - One Time Is Forever - Arctic 118

It's listed in discographies but I've never seen it. I was playing this out 9 or so years ago and always believed it was unreleased so I'm a little confused

Andy

Here's my stocker Andy:

Regards,

Dave

post-1369-0-48723800-1363943017_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!