Dj's I Wanna Hear Out More At Allnighters

But its ok for Terry to slag the Kings Hall promoter off (who is also a SS member) without repremand

Usual double standards,, Ok for some,,, Not for others :wink:

Im not sure Terry was slagging off the Kings Hall TBH, I may be wrong but he was saying Kev has got things right as a promoter, unless there is an element of sarcasm in there, I think he was just stating a fact....IMHO from a promotional point of view KR has got it right & there is now the alternative room too, so I will be checking it out some time soon, as I havnt been since the Modern Room closed Im ashamed to say.......

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But its ok for Terry to slag the Kings Hall promoter off (who is also a SS member) without repremand

Usual double standards,, Ok for some,,, Not for others :wink:

yeah sure

and its the usual stirring rubbish from you

if kev roberts or anyone else inform us of any concerns on any post then be more than happy to look at it

we had a complaint about that post by carms from another member

as carms also personally insulted another member the other day felt a word was needed

any more moaning take it to feedback

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Can I just clarify that the Terry (Tezza) who is on this thread is not me !! Lol !!

As always we tend to loose the thread as we progress but Nige is correct - Right to reply and defend an accusation ( or whatever ) is a fundemental right of all ...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can I just clarify that the Terry (Tezza) who is on this thread is not me !! Lol !!

As always we tend to loose the thread as we progress but Nige is correct - Right to reply and defend an accusation ( or whatever ) is a fundemental right of all ...

no he's not

calling people stupid or ignorant for posting their personal views is not right and goes against the terms of use

Social source share

I consider myself slapped. Must learn to read back through before making a brash statement !!

no slapping here, though my apologies for the tone

am just weary of people like the other member making arse accusations every time we have to do any modding

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

personally i think too many djs have been djn for far too long and their tunes are now becoming stale as they aint got the quality in depth or just choose to keep playing the same tunes, also some venues have too many residents that also makes for tunes becoming stale as lack of depth quality etc, sometimes i would rather hear a young/lessser experienced or older lesser/experienced given a chance cos if they aint given a chance how we ever going to get to hear them, the one venue IMHO that gets it right for me is Rugby as Sian and Dean always seem to mix their line upsd with known and not so known and having the 2nd room gives them a chance to hear what some have and could be great for the main room, its not all just about the djs it has to be about the music so give a lot of the old farts a breather and get some freshness back into the scene before the edges curl up and go hard :D

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

oh and while im at it, will djn promoters please give the guests better time slots and as much deck time as least as yourselfs :thumbup:

Social source share

As long as the above are your views based on your experiences Bearsy and not just 'Cut 'n' Paste' comments that's fine mate. It's just that some of these type of things are 'Urban Myths', like Mr D.J who turns up one minute before his spot and has the car running ready 5 minutes before the end of his spot....Has anyone actually seen this man? Apparently he D.J's everywhere - I've never seen him!

Also maybe you misinterpret someone D.Jing with a serious face as not enjoying themselves - They are most probably really passionate and are just concentrating on doing a good job, no one would D.J if they didn't enjoy it surely.

I wouldn't want the scene to change dramatically, we need our 'old masters' - the years of experience they have cannot be replaced with new comers, yes chuck a couple 'in the mix' every so often but don't over dilute it for god's sake :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

i wanna see more djs that love the music and not just themselves :lol:

totally agree with you there bearsy :thumbsup: and as i said in an earlier post i want to hear djs play tunes that can get me up for a dance and not just play to their own egos, no matter who they are
Social source share

Cant believe no one's mentioned Paul Shirley!!!, with the records he's got, he knocks spots off some of the ones mentioned on here. :thumbsup:

Also like to hear more of........

Grant Rankin

Derek Whatmough

Sean Haydon

Fred Krol

Martyn Bird

Chris Morgan

Tony Mac (Rochdale)

Col Taylor

Paul Harris

Sandy

Social source share

Spot on Phil. I can't understand the fascination for the DJ to have a better time than those who he is supposed to be entertaining. I go to hear what a DJ plays not how he acts, like you say it is totally irrelevant, it's what's in the groove that counts.....I've heard that somewhere before?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

totally agree with you there bearsy :thumbsup: and as i said in an earlier post i want to hear djs play tunes that can get me up for a dance and not just play to their own egos, no matter who they are

Not really quite sure which dj's you are referring to, could you please elaborate as i'm intrigued,

i'm also intrigued as to which tunes a DJ could play, to get you " up for a dance", please elaborate on that one too.

Moving on

I believe the general concensus for the allnighter scene is that we all want to see a balance between 'young and old' relatively speaking.

Maybe it would help if a promoter could post up a quick resume and reason why he has chosen his DJ's for that particular night.

This information could be valuable to people wondering where to go, who to see and what type of music they are likely to hear from all DJ's that night,

after all not everyone reads the daily source. Just an idea :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

what i cannot stand is when djs play say 3 or 4 records one after another and do not say who/what the record/artist is.

come on fellas ,we dont all know every record/artist

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Not really quite sure which dj's you are referring to, could you please elaborate as i'm intrigued,

i'm also intrigued as to which tunes a DJ could play, to get you " up for a dance", please elaborate on that one too.

Moving on

I believe the general concensus for the allnighter scene is that we all want to see a balance between 'young and old' relatively speaking.

Maybe it would help if a promoter could post up a quick resume and reason why he has chosen his DJ's for that particular night.

This information could be valuable to people wondering where to go, who to see and what type of music they are likely to hear from all DJ's that night,

after all not everyone reads the daily source. Just an idea :thumbsup:

i was not referring to any particular dj, just that there is nothing worse than a dj doing a spot and say after 4 records he still has not got the floor and he refuses to try and rectify the situation
Social source share

Eyup Bearsy, hope you're well mate.

Interesting point that; what does 'passion' from a dj look like? I can't ever recall Pat Brady, Guy, Butch, Searling et al prancing around behind the decks, dancing to their own records etc. (Some seem to take it a stage further e.g. by fannying about they might get away with not having good enough records).

Surely it's about building a set, knowing at least a bit about the stuff you're playing, using the kit well etc. WTF would anyone be looking at me anyway? I'm an absolute irrelevance; listen to the records and make your own mind up. I love em, that's why I've had the same underpants on for thirty years, to buy the bloody things.

Cost me forty quid in petrol to get here - I'll look like I've just been dug up all week - there's seventeen in (including 11 djs) - I'm on at 5am - there's one deck broken and the other has a knitting needle ... ... I then discover, very publically, that nobody else likes em anyway and my taste is sh*t.

How passionate would you look? :lol:

I agree with everything you have said Phil, but I also know what Bearsy means also, theres a middle ground between playing the clown & total disinterest...Im quite often accused of showing a bit of passion behind the decks & have never given it any thought until now, Im now wondering whether folk are thinking whats that tw*t up to... :lol: !!!.

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I do too Russ, course I do; totally disinterested ain't a great look is it :lol:

As Paper Lace once said, "keep your pretty head low" bud

atb

Phil

Ps. My favourite is the "I've paid a fookin fiver to get in ere." Yes, I know; I've spent upwards of 50k and 3/4 of my life, swap yer

Edited by PhilT
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

what i cannot stand is when djs play say 3 or 4 records one after another and do not say who/what the record/artist is.

come on fellas ,we dont all know every record/artist

Use a Microphone :ohmy:

Some can't use the decks, :huh: mixer, :huh: cueing features, :huh: volume and the tone coming out of some sound systems, well sometimes a crap system or sometimes just the way it's set up. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry quoted wrong post above.

Bearsy,there are some right miserable b*ggers behind the decks,but when you consider the debt they've gone into at DJ School,fees etc,then have to extend the course to a Degree in Charisma,no wonder.!!

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Cant believe no one's mentioned Paul Shirley!!!, with the records he's got, he knocks spots off some of the ones mentioned on here. :thumbsup:

Also like to hear more of........

Grant Rankin

Derek Whatmough

Sean Haydon

Fred Krol

Martyn Bird

Chris Morgan

Tony Mac (Rochdale)

Col Taylor

Paul Harris

Sandy

Bloody Sandy , I was under the impression I've lived in Alfreton for the past 24 yrs . :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

personally i think too many djs have been djn for far too long and their tunes are now becoming stale as they aint got the quality in depth or just choose to keep playing the same tunes, also some venues have too many residents that also makes for tunes becoming stale as lack of depth quality etc, sometimes i would rather hear a young/lessser experienced or older lesser/experienced given a chance cos if they aint given a chance how we ever going to get to hear them, the one venue IMHO that gets it right for me is Rugby as Sian and Dean always seem to mix their line upsd with known and not so known and having the 2nd room gives them a chance to hear what some have and could be great for the main room, its not all just about the djs it has to be about the music so give a lot of the old farts a breather and get some freshness back into the scene before the edges curl up and go hard :D

One of the great things about the freestyle room at Rugby is when they have mainstream big name DJs on they lose the fetters they feel when in a main room and play from the heart. I heard John Manship in the freestyle room and he was magic, and not your usual mainstream faire.

Put more main room DJs in second rooms and let em play without the pressure to keep the floor filled.

Social source share

oh and can the djs please show some kind of enjoyment behind the decks your meant to be entertaining us you know :thumbup:

oh and while im at it, will djn promoters please give the guests better time slots and as much deck time as least as yourselfs :thumbup:

i wanna see more djs that love the music and not just themselves :lol:

Bearsy, Hi, are you going for the most hackneyed cliches going with these posts or something :lol:? No doubt you are on at Rugby, so a good plug there. But all this other stuff - there ain't many DJs that love themselves. Whether a DJ is smiling, dancing or quite serious doesn't matter to me. Some of it may be nerves for example. Quite a daunting experience going on at a kicking niter for many, esp if the DJ in front of you is the regular 'trick' and has ramped it up. And who are these folks that just show up for their spots and leave these days? Don't really see too much of that either. Original thinking pleeeez! :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Put more main room DJs in second rooms and let em play without the pressure to keep the floor filled.

What a great concept that would be, quick swap round of rooms for DJ's about 10 mins before they were due on.

"right jack bugger off to the freestyle room and let Jill play the main room"

Wonder how that would go down at 2 room allnighters,

Don't particularly do 2 room nighters anymore but would deffo start going again :thumbsup:

Social source share

The best comment so far is Adam's, get rid of a Lifeline resident and have another guest, FFS, Andy D and Mick end up playing all hours rather than right in middle when they should be to allow the team the right spots, I challenge you now to name a guest who should replace these guys and why!

Yes give us some names worthy of replacing one of our residents. We are struggling to come up with a guest who has something different to bring to the table. We'd love to know why someone is worthy of a set?

To be fair right in the middle is our guest and then Butch who is still streets ahead of anyone else.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Yes give us some names worthy of replacing one of our residents. We are struggling to come up with a guest who has something different to bring to the table. We'd love to know why someone is worthy of a set?

To be fair right in the middle is our guest and then Butch who is still streets ahead of anyone else.

Adam topping

First and foremost, he knows the nighter scene and he knows the nighter people

He is his own man and will not bow to anyone.

His music is progressive but will always give respect.

I have met the man once but have followed his music through his playlists over the years like a demented stalker.

You ask for a man worthy, I may not be the right man to recommend him, but recommend him I do :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry but is this about all niters or soul nites, all I see are lists of mates who do their local dj's, a bundle of ten bob dj's, all with lovely records, worth a listen but not as the main event.

When will people realise that all these "progressive" soul nights, where the promoter always dj's is killing the niter scene the claim to love, all this regional rubbish. I am out of it now, I realise that but just can't believe the egotistical crap on here.

And still no or little mention of Butch, Andy D, Kitch, Steve G, Cliff Steele, who between them have far more progressive and unknown records than the whole lot of people mentioned on here put together, and they hardly dj every week do they. And there are others that may not have as many as these guys but have quantity and yet no mention.

Until people stop blaming the oldies scene and consider the damage their progressive nights with 30 mates all over the country are doing, so they can dj, then they are kidding themselves.

As I have little interest in going out these days I know I should keep my beak out but I cannot believe the depths my beloved scene is been dragged into by all the psuedo DJ's.

The best comment so far is Adam's, get rid of a Lifeline resident and have another guest, FFS, Andy D and Mick end up playing all hours rather than right in middle when they should be to allow the team the right spots, I challenge you now to name a guest who should replace these guys and why!

First of all, I never mentioned replacing a resident. All the residents at LL are top quality DJs. I just said I think an extra guest would be a positive addition to the mix, there's time enough for one without losing a resident as the 3 early collector spots that used to kick the night off are no longer being done. I also said I understood the reasons for only having one. I have missed less than 4 or 5 Lifeline nights since it moved to Wolves, I'm out at a venue somewhere most weekends and what I like when I'm out is to hear different DJs (especially those I've not heard before or very rarely hear). Every DJ has a slightly different style and flow to their sets and I like seeing/hearing how they put their own personality into the sets they play.

I can't believe that despite not saying a negative word about LL I'm having to defend myself on it? If it's really got to the point where posting a point of view as harmless as 'I'd like to hear an extra guest DJ' is deemed to be a criticism then no wonder so many people are scared to post anything other than the usual 'it was brilliant'. Are we not allowed to say anything about venues we have given long term support to?

Adam.

Social source share

I don't think you have said anything negative about LL Adam and what you said is nothing we haven't talked about face to face so no need IMO to feel you have to defend yourself.

Anyone can say anything they like about any venue as long as it is constructive IMO.

Social source share

Whilst I wouldnt want to see anyone replaced, Richard Searling in contemporary Nighter mode, if it happens, would be bloody marvellous !!!....also Honky, never seen him play out, but have heard great things & would surely be a great set ?

Russ

Russ

Social source share

I don't think you have said anything negative about LL Adam and what you said is nothing we haven't talked about face to face so no need IMO to feel you have to defend yourself.

Chalky, maybe I've misinterpreted it but the way I read the last paragraph of jockos post and the first paragraph in your reply to him gives me the impression I'm being asked to defend myself:

Social source share

Far from it Adam, I was simply responding to Jock's question and nothing you said.

In which case, my mistake I obviously did misinterpret it and apologies for doing so :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

As long as the above are your views based on your experiences Bearsy and not just 'Cut 'n' Paste' comments that's fine mate. It's just that some of these type of things are 'Urban Myths', like Mr D.J who turns up one minute before his spot and has the car running ready 5 minutes before the end of his spot....Has anyone actually seen this man? Apparently he D.J's everywhere - I've never seen him!

Also maybe you misinterpret someone D.Jing with a serious face as not enjoying themselves - They are most probably really passionate and are just concentrating on doing a good job, no one would D.J if they didn't enjoy it surely.

I wouldn't want the scene to change dramatically, we need our 'old masters' - the years of experience they have cannot be replaced with new comers, yes chuck a couple 'in the mix' every so often but don't over dilute it for god's sake :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

All my own views Len so hopefully so hopefully you will let my view be allowed on this thread, , as I said at least show they are trying to enjoy themselves I've seena good few just stand there with hands in pockets or pretending to think about what to play next and as for urban myths I wouldn't know as I live in a council estate :-)

Like I said my views and my own honest opinion on some of the djs I've witnessed and venues I've attended where it seems to be about the djs and not the punters sometimes, not all venues and not all djs, also I would like I said see more guests at some venues not all venues but some, also I personally think yeah that's my own opinion that some djs should give their same 25 tunes a rest and I wold like to see some other djs given a chance to keep it fresh to me but then agin that's just me and my own opinion I'm not trying to tell everyone what to do just answering the question posted by the thread starter, and again just all my own opinion. Hope your well and as passionate as ever ;-)

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Eyup Bearsy, hope you're well mate.

Interesting point that; what does 'passion' from a dj look like? I can't ever recall Pat Brady, Guy, Butch, Searling et al prancing around behind the decks, dancing to their own records etc. (Some seem to take it a stage further e.g. by fannying about they might get away with not having good enough records).

Surely it's about building a set, knowing at least a bit about the stuff you're playing, using the kit well etc. WTF would anyone be looking at me anyway? I'm an absolute irrelevance; listen to the records and make your own mind up. I love em, that's why I've had the same underpants on for thirty years, to buy the bloody things.

Cost me forty quid in petrol to get here - I'll look like I've just been dug up all week - there's seventeen in (including 11 djs) - I'm on at 5am - there's one deck broken and the other has a knitting needle ... ... I then discover, very publically, that nobody else likes em anyway and my taste is sh*t.

How passionate would you look? :lol:

I'm good thanks Phil hope you and your pants are too lol. I did say I would like to see "some" djs at least try to look like they are enjoying themselves seen a good few look like they just found a record in their box they thought they sold then realise the one they thought they still had was the one they sold when not meaning too far to cheaply lol. Yep it's about building a set and yep it's about the music but this thread is asking about who they would like to see dj more at nighters so I added a different angle and posted a few points that maybe some should either cheer up or maybe take a rest cos they don't build a set they just play same records time and again and look unhappy doing it when there are a good few younger and older peeps out there who given a chance could put a great set together yourself included but you come into the older section lol. You have great taste Phil and IMHO could grace the decks at any nighter and bring something to the mix

Bearsy

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Spot on Phil. I can't understand the fascination for the DJ to have a better time than those who he is supposed to be entertaining. I go to hear what a DJ plays not how he acts, like you say it is totally irrelevant, it's what's in the groove that counts.....I've heard that somewhere before?

I enjoy not only hearing what a dj plays but also how they graft behind the decks whilst putting a set together and when you watch some they just make it all look so easy and are great to watch and hear, maybe I'm the only person in the world that watches and listens and dances to and at djs but that's me and its all part of what makes a nighter a nighter for me amongst the chats and laughs of course ;-)

Social source share

Simon Hunt for me Rnb.ska,reggae,oldies.newies latin and very strange stuff but he's a bit strange.cheers Molly.

Sorry, but when I go to an allnighter, (or even a soul night for that matter), I don't wanna hear ska and reggae. A bit of R&B perhaps but what I want to hear is proper soul music!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Sorry quoted wrong post above.

Bearsy,there are some right miserable b*ggers behind the decks,but when you consider the debt they've gone into at DJ School,fees etc,then have to extend the course to a Degree in Charisma,no wonder.!!

Lol even more miserable buggers other side of decks scrutinising everything they play lol.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

]

Bearsy, Hi, are you going for the most hackneyed cliches going with these posts or something :lol:? No doubt you are on at Rugby, so a good plug there. But all this other stuff - there ain't many DJs that love themselves. Whether a DJ is smiling, dancing or quite serious doesn't matter to me. Some of it may be nerves for example. Quite a daunting experience going on at a kicking niter for many, esp if the DJ in front of you is the regular 'trick' and has ramped it up. And who are these folks that just show up for their spots and leave these days? Don't really see too much of that either. Original thinking pleeeez! :thumbsup:

No Steve not djn at Rugby lol. All I said was it would be nice to see some djs look like they are enjoying themselves a bit more and if a dj is nervous then yeah that is understandable but some can't be nervous every other bloody week lol Oh and don't patronise me please Steve it's not nice as these are my own personal thoughts and original to me, my views my opinions so please don't tell me I'm wrong.

Social source share

First of all, I never mentioned replacing a resident. All the residents at LL are top quality DJs. I just said I think an extra guest would be a positive addition to the mix, there's time enough for one without losing a resident as the 3 early collector spots that used to kick the night off are no longer being done. I also said I understood the reasons for only having one. I have missed less than 4 or 5 Lifeline nights since it moved to Wolves, I'm out at a venue somewhere most weekends and what I like when I'm out is to hear different DJs (especially those I've not heard before or very rarely hear). Every DJ has a slightly different style and flow to their sets and I like seeing/hearing how they put their own personality into the sets they play.

I can't believe that despite not saying a negative word about LL I'm having to defend myself on it? If it's really got to the point where posting a point of view as harmless as 'I'd like to hear an extra guest DJ' is deemed to be a criticism then no wonder so many people are scared to post anything other than the usual 'it was brilliant'. Are we not allowed to say anything about venues we have given long term support to?

Adam.

And conversely is nobody is allowed to challenge your opinions, FFS put your dummy back in.

You are keen on presenting your opinions on all these fresh dj's out there, so all I am trying to do is get you to articulate it clearer. I disagree you could have an additional guest without losing a resident, unless you mean moving Butch, For me Lifelines only reason to move Butch would be to give Andy or Mick a more central set. Its on 4 times a year with these residents and Cliff. I would argue these guys are hardly regular djs ever week at moment, are they. So to me your suggestion doesn't make sense unless you lose one of the residents, Its called disagreeing, it used to happen every week in record bars in my day, I can only assume thats another thing where the standard has dropped amazing in recent years.

However lets not got bogged down in this, I used this comment to illustrate the rest of my points, which are conveniently being ignored. I repeat then of all these fresh djs you talk about, do you really think there are very many , and there will be some obviously, can push these guys? To me the debate should be about encouraging these guys to appear more regular, getting the real unknown sounds better coverage, making it easier for these guys to break the records they undoubtedly have, then all these back rooms could support these, assuming all the attendees attend the "bigger" events.

Sounds simple to me, and was always how it was, however nothing on here breaks my conviction there is too much self interest of the "ten-bob DJ's" (and I was only ever that so its not an insult) to be center of things, rather than the support they should be,

I suspect we are on different planets on this, so no point ruining this thread, just wanted to at least articulate clearly my point that you obviously found so hurtful

• Helpful 2
Social source share

]

No Steve not djn at Rugby lol. All I said was it would be nice to see some djs look like they are enjoying themselves a bit more and if a dj is nervous then yeah that is understandable but some can't be nervous every other bloody week lol Oh and don't patronise me please Steve it's not nice as these are my own personal thoughts and original to me, my views my opinions so please don't tell me I'm wrong.

Hi, as you know Djing at a niter is a pretty frenetic experience for any DJ if you are not playing northern soul by numbers. Not nerve-wracking, but you need to be alert and on your game. Any mug with cash can dig out Eddie Parker, Salvadors, Lou Pride etc and fill the floor. But playing something different at a niter and mixing it up a bit - assuming the Dj and the gig are in harmony (i.e. not a Dj known for playing some different stuff at a bang oldies niter)- the DJ has to be reading the crowd, listening to what's gone on before, what's working on the night what's not, and reacting when something they think will work suddenly thins the floor unexpectedly etc. And not be frightened to change it, rather than carrying on with something that's not working. So concentration needed throughout. If I want so see a DJ doing singalong and handclaps I'll go to an oldies nite and probably join in "I really really love you baby, Ooooh yes I do" etc etc.

All of this totally different at a soul night where you can "mug it" and no one really minds, at a niter you can't. If you kill it, you may as well have set the fire alarm off. Not meaning to be patronising - stay well mon.

Social source share

And conversely is nobody is allowed to challenge your opinions, FFS put your dummy back in.

You are keen on presenting your opinions on all these fresh dj's out there, so all I am trying to do is get you to articulate it clearer. I disagree you could have an additional guest without losing a resident, unless you mean moving Butch, For me Lifelines only reason to move Butch would be to give Andy or Mick a more central set. Its on 4 times a year with these residents and Cliff. I would argue these guys are hardly regular djs ever week at moment, are they. So to me your suggestion doesn't make sense unless you lose one of the residents, Its called disagreeing, it used to happen every week in record bars in my day, I can only assume thats another thing where the standard has dropped amazing in recent years.

However lets not got bogged down in this, I used this comment to illustrate the rest of my points, which are conveniently being ignored. I repeat then of all these fresh djs you talk about, do you really think there are very many , and there will be some obviously, can push these guys? To me the debate should be about encouraging these guys to appear more regular, getting the real unknown sounds better coverage, making it easier for these guys to break the records they undoubtedly have, then all these back rooms could support these, assuming all the attendees attend the "bigger" events.

Sounds simple to me, and was always how it was, however nothing on here breaks my conviction there is too much self interest of the "ten-bob DJ's" (and I was only ever that so its not an insult) to be center of things, rather than the support they should be,

I suspect we are on different planets on this, so no point ruining this thread, just wanted to at least articulate clearly my point that you obviously found so hurtful

Whatever Jocko, why don't you go and read all my comments on this thread and maybe you'll realise that I haven't put a single fucking name forward of any DJ whether they're in the established elite or a new arrival. I've not championed anybody nor put any down other than to say there are DJs playing at smaller clubs, doing good sets but not getting exposure. Feel free to disagree with me Jocko, but if you want a reasoned reply then at least make the fucking effort to read what I've actually said.

Social source share

Whatever Jocko, why don't you go and read all my comments on this thread and maybe you'll realise that I haven't put a single fucking name forward of any DJ whether they're in the established elite or a new arrival. I've not championed anybody nor put any down other than to say there are DJs playing at smaller clubs, doing good sets but not getting exposure. Feel free to disagree with me Jocko, but if you want a reasoned reply then at least make the fucking effort to read what I've actually said.

I did, and have read it many times on other threads from you, but I prefer dealing in the actual rather than the abstract, I am presenting an alternative opinion, and challenging yours, but as usual you are entering the dummy spitting contest. It used to be called debate, I would have thought you would have been used to it on your previous scene,

Now grow up son, people have better things to do than follow any childish spat from us, Goodnight and god bless.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hi, as you know Djing at a niter is a pretty frenetic experience for any DJ if you are not playing northern soul by numbers. Not nerve-wracking, but you need to be alert and on your game. Any mug with cash can dig out Eddie Parker, Salvadors, Lou Pride etc and fill the floor. But playing something different at a niter and mixing it up a bit - assuming the Dj and the gig are in harmony (i.e. not a Dj known for playing some different stuff at a bang oldies niter)- the DJ has to be reading the crowd, listening to what's gone on before, what's working on the night what's not, and reacting when something they think will work suddenly thins the floor unexpectedly etc. And not be frightened to change it, rather than carrying on with something that's not working. So concentration needed throughout. If I want so see a DJ doing singalong and handclaps I'll go to an oldies nite and probably join in "I really really love you baby, Ooooh yes I do" etc etc.

All of this totally different at a soul night where you can "mug it" and no one really minds, at a niter you can't. If you kill it, you may as well have set the fire alarm off. Not meaning to be patronising - stay well mon.

Totally agree Steve and if a dj that can do all that then why not give them a chance that's what this thread is about, mix some fresh blood in with the top guys and Russ was simply asking everyone who they would like to hear dj at a nighter I replied and my opinion is an honest one and I never said I wanted to see djs prancing about and hand clapping just look a little but happier, crikey if your own tunes you own don't want to make you smile while djn then why presume the punters will enjoy them or is there a difference between someone that owns records and djs to someone that buys records to dj if so then I hope peeps understand what I'm trying to say. Personally me I can't help but enjoy what I'm playing wether playing them at home or if djn :-)

Social source share

I'm good thanks Phil hope you and your pants are too lol. I did say I would like to see "some" djs at least try to look like they are enjoying themselves seen a good few look like they just found a record in their box they thought they sold then realise the one they thought they still had was the one they sold when not meaning too far to cheaply lol. Yep it's about building a set and yep it's about the music but this thread is asking about who they would like to see dj more at nighters so I added a different angle and posted a few points that maybe some should either cheer up or maybe take a rest cos they don't build a set they just play same records time and again and look unhappy doing it when there are a good few younger and older peeps out there who given a chance could put a great set together yourself included but you come into the older section lol. You have great taste Phil and IMHO could grace the decks at any nighter and bring something to the mix

Bearsy

I'm good thanks Phil hope you and your pants are too lol.

Bearsy

I hear you mate (pants are starting to chafe a bit to be honest which is possibly why I'm so miserable LOL)

Agree with some of Jock's points too.

You'd have to be pretty daft to argue that the likes of Butch, Andy D etc aren't miles ahead on the progressive score (Rob T, Adey and Andy Rix also turned unreal stuff up too of course), at least where quantity and out and out 60s tackle is concerned. They've been at it for donkeys and have put the most effort in by a country mile ...

I'd also agree with the comments about too many so-called 'progressive' nights and djs diluting rather than adding to the mix. (I think the nighter scene is really tough these days for lots of other reasons too, doesn't help though). That said, I think you can hear Butch, Andy Dyson et al on a regular basis if you want to - and why wouldn't you? That's the yardstick. I'd also like to hear Franc Giacobbe, Carl Fortnum, Chris Jones, Andy Dennison and some of the European lads more regularly too though; not because they could do what Butch and Andy do (who can?) but because I think they have something to offer. We're talking supporting cast for sure, 'ten bob' seems a tad harsh though LOL

I'd also really like to hear the main fellas do longer sets and maybe have more scope to push things from time to time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!