John Manships Price Guide

HI,

ANYONE KNOW IF THERE'S A NEW EDITION ON THE HORIZON,

I JUST NOTICED MY COPY IS GETTING VERY TATTY LOOKING,

I SEE IT'S FOUR YEARS OLD NOW,

JOE.

ITS AT THE PRINTERS was told it would be 6 weeks looking forward to getting it myself the back now coming away on mine over use

Social source share

hi,

thanks for reply,

i look forward to it,

i still can't be sure the bootleg stuff should'nt be in a seperate book ??,

although i like all the pictures at the end of the book,

anyone got any thoughts on this,

joe.

Am totally anti-price guides so my thoughts are not for family viewing.

Did like the colour section though, until my daughter ripped them all out.

Social source share

Given that John's ability to get top dollar with auctions continues but prices elsewhere have pretty much collapsed, I wonder how realistic a new guide will be. I know its only a guide but I start off expecting anything over about £200 in his guide to be obtainable for half its book and in dollars not pounds if you look hard enough and wide enough.

The cheaper things are more accurate and the real top auction pieces will always be in demand. Its a guide and so I find the last one at least as useful in judging the relative value of different 45s as any new one would be.

Mine is dropping to bits mind

Edited by ged parker
Social source share

A wonderful resource for those like me who don't have encyclopaedic minds when it comes to artists, labels and songs. And then there's the price guide part of it. The key is never to forget that - like all reference works of its kind - it is a guide, not a tablet carved in stone!

Couldn't do without it nowadays...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It is a tablet carved in stone if it is used by dealers that way as some sort of absolute pricing method. It takes a bunch of time for the price to back down to a normal level after dealers find they can't sell certain things. I guarantee you that at least a few records that aren't that rare will be priced high, all appear for sale at a high price at once, and there will be many on the market but none selling.

That said, the guide is still very useful.

Social source share

It is a tablet carved in stone if it is used by dealers that way as some sort of absolute pricing method. It takes a bunch of time for the price to back down to a normal level after dealers find they can't sell certain things. I guarantee you that at least a few records that aren't that rare will be priced high, all appear for sale at a high price at once, and there will be many on the market but none selling.

Much as with Popsike...

As for the boot guide, I much prefer it in the back of the main publication where you can cross reference the actual listings with images of legitimate and not so legitimate copies.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I'd also like to see a stand alone boot guide.

There is Manships guide to bootlegs! it's £6.00 for issue 3 on John's site.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Dave it would be a full time job trying to keep it up to date!!

I would think most collectors could spot a boot from the last few years don't you?.

Social source share

i only put the results up for a couple of friends who are even older than i am,

it saves them messing about trying to find them, there pc's are even slower than mine,

joe

ps, thanks for all your thought's, i think i like the boot pictures in the main price guide but i think there's room for an updated boot and reissues guide with all the pictures as well, a pocket sized one might be an idea, handy for travel abroad,

Social source share

I like having it all in one place, bootleg guide/price guide. I never take the massive book anywhere with me though. Any bootleg guide these days is gonna be pretty out of date pretty quick, although it's not exactly difficult to pick out a new bootleg most of the time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just how did we cope before these price guides came along :g:

oh I remember - years of gathering knowledge!

:hatsoff2: HI ALL Pete's point is relevant & meaningful. but sadly from a generation that knowledge stood for "the GREY MATTER BETWEEN the LUG HOLES" not the tip of your index finger, that's for picking your nose (and skilled love making?) :ohmy: It's a shame, but we live in a age where the word skill does not mean qualified, a good example is when i left school, like thousands of boys aged 15 years, you signed tour apprentice indenture papers, which were cut in half 1 part you kept the other the employer kept until you apprenticeship finished 5 years later you were then classed as a professional, most of South Staffs & Warwickshire (now the West Midlands) work force, were highly skilled workers, the shame is even if you wanted to become a patten maker the skills to teach you are gone for ever, and it is for this reason I believe that younger people on today's soul scene miss out, when putting a collection together.

Today in seconds I can remember the 1st time I saw certain records, for example in 1972 I was at a ALLDAYER in STAFFORDS TOP of the WORLD, there was a bloke with his record box, and he was surrounded by 5 others all trying to look at the record he was holding, sadly I can't remember his name, but he was wearing a LEVI Jacket with a TORCH badge above the pocket SKINNER JEANS & Royals, the record was a black Columbia UK label of Wayne Gibson "under my thumb", the whole ambiance of this scene, I have witnessed thousands of times since then, but the vibe I got from this made me want to be just like him, I even got a torch badge and a pair of Skinners, as you all no, there are many of you who have had this experience, it was very real you could touch the record and feel the vibes from it, my 1st copy I got from Mick not long after as a R&W DEMO,

Back then record collections were classified by venues or DJs, long gone now, as is the feeling of finding a copy of Loraine Silver in a OXFAM SHOP,

THIS IS AS A RESULT OF THE INEVITABLE CHANGES THAT NEW TECH HAS GIVEN US????

:rofl: DAVE

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i always think of that when i look for DeVons - "someone to treat me like you do" on King. the six same dealers have had the same copies up on ebay for 75 dollars (or more) and none of them have sold for like 18 months!

i am waiting for one of them to crack, as i would like to get a nice copy, but not for that price. ( i know that is not a very expensive record, but i am like a baby bird - cheap cheap!)

Edited by ljblanken
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i always think of that when i look for DeVons - "someone to treat me like you do" on King. the six same dealers have had the same copies up on ebay for 75 dollars (or more) and none of them have sold for like 18 months!

i am waiting for one of them to crack, as i would like to get a nice copy, but not for that price. ( i know that is not a very expensive record, but i am like a baby bird - cheap cheap!)

This is a local record show type of record. It charted nationally on the billboard R&B charts. That said, I've never seen a copy in Chicago (actually maybe once), it got no play here. It must have been a hit in some other cities, you might find it at record shows or if you contact dealers.

I see that Barry Wickham and Lou Silvani have it for $70 but they aren't going to drop the price on it when it doesn't sell because they have large catalogs of records online. It couldn't hurt to ask them if they would do less.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Probably just from my mucky mitts pawing at it :) .... but has anyone noticed a sort of greasy waxy residue that bleeds out of the glossy cover pages ? ...Has happened on to me on two different issues now.

Give me a minute to do up me tin hat... but with regards to people not liking them...as was implied earlier by someone...not everyone is lucky enough to have a photographic mind.

& are the moaners not, in the main, dealers??

Anyway....great just to read on the bog besides anything else!! :)

:g: Mmm....That could explain the greasy residue I guess?? :D

Look forward to getting the new one for christmas :thumbup:

Social source share

Much as with Popsike...

Popsike is a bit different as it shows you what records have actually sold for and usually gives an idea of condition. You can also trend prices with popsike because it gives you ebay prices over a number of years. Any silly prices show up straight away.

JM's guide gives an idea of what he has sold records for or what he believes mint copies should sell for, at least that is my understanding. Presumably his prices include VAT so take 20% off what's in his guide to get somewhere near an opinion of a realistic private sale price for a MINT record.

When it comes down to it the price of a record is what you can sell it for and that changes on a daily basis. There are so many variables that affect the price of a record it is amazing that anyone can give a guide to them.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Probably just from my mucky mitts pawing at it :) .... but has anyone noticed a sort of greasy waxy residue that bleeds out of the glossy cover pages ? ...Has happened on to me on two different issues now.

What should we do, say thank you?

Social source share

Give me a minute to do up me tin hat... but with regards to people not liking them...as was implied earlier by someone...not everyone is lucky enough to have a photographic mind.

why would the moaners be dealers? a way to artificially inflate prices is good for dealers, unless the dealers have prices so high they are higher than the book. it mainly hurts buyers from getting deals.

Social source share

Popsike is a bit different as it shows you what records have actually sold for and usually gives an idea of condition. You can also trend prices with popsike because it gives you ebay prices over a number of years. Any silly prices show up straight away.

JM's guide gives an idea of what he has sold records for or what he believes mint copies should sell for, at least that is my understanding. Presumably his prices include VAT so take 20% off what's in his guide to get somewhere near an opinion of a realistic private sale price for a MINT record.

When it comes down to it the price of a record is what you can sell it for and that changes on a daily basis. There are so many variables that affect the price of a record it is amazing that anyone can give a guide to them.

Thanks for the explanation of what Popsike is and how it works. I'd often wondered! Thanks too for the explanation into how markets work. Wow, the things you can learn on here! :lol:

Note how I said "Much as with Popsike" and not "Exactly the same as Popsike". Language is a wonderful thing - it allows us to be very specific in communicating what we mean.

Popsike provides us with data about the prices paid for records. JM provides us with prices based on data of prices paid for records. They both provide us with insights into what the market is prepared to pay for records in varying conditions.

They are much alike!

Social source share

Thanks for the explanation of what Popsike is and how it works. I'd often wondered! Thanks too for the explanation into how markets work. Wow, the things you can learn on here! :lol:

Note how I said "Much as with Popsike" and not "Exactly the same as Popsike". Language is a wonderful thing - it allows us to be very specific in communicating what we mean.

Popsike provides us with data about the prices paid for records. JM provides us with prices based on data of prices paid for records. They both provide us with insights into what the market is prepared to pay for records in varying conditions.

They are much alike!

I don't use Popsike and the reason is, over the last 4 years, 70% of all reggae & ska auctions have been ruined by fake bidders bidding astronomical prices, so the majority of prices for these records on Popsike are not real. Yet people will look at these prices and think that the prices are real. Look at this example, most copies sell for 250 - 300 quid, yet one comes in at over 1000!

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=black+panther&x=24&y=8

Social source share

has anyone noticed tons of data disappearing from popsike? I'm not talking about missed auctions, I'm talking about stuff that definitely was there and now isn't. I know you can get popsike to take down your auctions if you want but there's no way that all of this missing data was from people emailing them.

Edited by boba
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's worth bearing in mind Popsike doesn't include items which sold for less than $25. Plus it doesn't claim to be exhaustive with items which do sell for over $25.

Also, I think I'm correct here, neither does Popsike include Ebay "buy it now" items, just auction items. That's a fair bit of data missing from 2004 to date.

Still a very useful tool tho, especially nowadays for users of smartphones and the like, to get a quick idea of value.

Back on topic, always interesting to compare prices any new guide to older editions.

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

I thought the main objection to these guides is down to the fact that for years many US sellers were simply unaware of the prices

rare soul records could command over here. this has affected both the individual who's just after a bargain for his collection and the individual who buys records to sell on to other collectors. I think with the advent of internet in the late 90s, people were already placing wants lists online, some, foolishly, with prices that they were prepared to pay for certain sounds, right?

Social source share

I think one of the main uses for US dealers is when sorting through their many boxes of 45s, looking up each one and seeing which ones are worth putting on ebay and which ones are going to be sold for $1 each at a record show.

Social source share

why would the moaners be dealers? a way to artificially inflate prices is good for dealers, unless the dealers have prices so high they are higher than the book. it mainly hurts buyers from getting deals.

are the moaners not just failed businessmen?

Social source share

Guest Bogue

What should we do, say thank you?

:yes: ..... & give his boots a going over whilst you are down there gathering up the crumbs :D

Seriously though Pete....I guess all you can do is grin & bear it .... like most businessmen do when the competition increases.

& perhaps look for another commodity to trade. Told u before....you are a clever bloke...& I am sure you could diversify :thumbsup:

:yes: Would be a logical conclusion.... but mine was just an observation.

As it has now been sort of pointed out...I think it is because the knowledge has been let out of the bag & created a bigger market with many many more players.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Re 'Popsike' .... I've always been a bit dubious! .... Hardly ever seen anything i've bought on there. & more to the point....it doesen't tell you how long & how much searching it took the buyer to get one at that price! So imo it gives a false reading in the opposite way.

Social source share

When I spoke to John Manship at Essence this year he said he'd been considering bringing the new guide out on a Part 1, Part 2 basis.

Thing for me is if it get's any thicker, I'll be able to use it to stand on when I'm decorating the ceiling!

Personally think it's a fantastic reference guide, (the best, coz it lists both sides of a record), as a price guide, I've always divided anything by 2. would love to see the new guide come out as "just" a reference guide (no prices) but that ain't gonna happen!

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

has anyone noticed tons of data disappearing from popsike? I'm not talking about missed auctions, I'm talking about stuff that definitely was there and now isn't. I know you can get popsike to take down your auctions if you want but there's no way that all of this missing data was from people emailing them.

yes i noticed this bob. i was recently looking for anthony and delsonics on emerge a couple of copies been on ebay that i cant find and el anthony thats what my lady says. cant find them now. only this morning i was looking for the promatics on brown door. there was a couple of them ..now i cant find anything

Social source share

popsike has loads of stuff missing, both cheap and expensive. I use it for reference and for scans but last place I use for a price unless I'm stuck.

I'd sooner ask on here, far more accurate for current day price.

i agree chalks but the ones i`m on about were there for ages and now ...............gone

Social source share

I don't have any of the John Manship prices guides, but then I buy stuff at the lower end of the price scales.

What I tend to do is search different dealers, buy-it-now ebay listings, sales lists and sellers on here, then work out a price that I'm willing to pay from those. But I've also been looking at the on-line price guide that's on Anglo-American site, which doesn't seem to add up. They'll be records valued at £50, then when you follow the link to the shop listing, it's up for £75!? :huh:

So how accurate are these price guides really? :g:

Social source share

popsike has loads of stuff missing, both cheap and expensive. I use it for reference and for scans but last place I use for a price unless I'm stuck.

I'd sooner ask on here, far more accurate for current day price.

I know popsike doesn't archive anything. But it used to be a very good archive of a lot of data which seems to have disappeared lately.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!