Looking For Very Large Record Collections

Guest anm0552

Guest anm0552

I'm looking for VERY LARGE record collections. NO collection is TOO big. R&B, pop, blues, jazz, etc. Heavy on Detroit/Northern Soul would be a plus. Prefer LPs to 45s unless what's on the singles is not available on an LP. No junk. All in good, very good and mint condition. Not buying for resale. The records will go into an archive and saved. Will pay cash, fair market value. If you have a great collection you'd like to sell, or know someone who does, please contact me. You may email me directly at catogroup@perigee.net or jpaul@perigee.net

Thanks guys and keep up the good work preserving the greatest music of the twentieth century!

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Guest anm0552

have heard this line before :D

This is a very ambitious non-profit project. The records are going to Sao Paulo, Brazil. About a million have been bought so far. They're all being archived and cataloged, and soon a museum will be built around the archive. The goal is to acquire all of the recorded music in the world (or as much as possible) -- every genre, every country, to be permanently saved in a museum of music history. I'm helping to find and acquire the music and I'm also involved in developing concepts for the museum. It's because the records are not being bought for resale that we're not necessarily looking for high dollar collectibles. The reason for prefering LPs is that we're gathering all the songs we can. If you know anyone with a VERY large collection he'd like to sell, please let me know. I'm sure a motivated seller would be happy to pay you a handsome commission for connecting him with a buyer.

Social source share

Guest anm0552

Hey I have a good collection of UK label Northern Soul, Soul, 60's Beat, Girl groups and so on and nobody on here wants them so you are welcome to them chaps. Just want shut of them now.

How many do you have? If you would like to donate them to the museum, we would gratefully accept them and pay the shipping.

Social source share

This is a very ambitious non-profit project. The records are going to Sao Paulo, Brazil. About a million have been bought so far. They're all being archived and cataloged, and soon a museum will be built around the archive. The goal is to acquire all of the recorded music in the world (or as much as possible) -- every genre, every country, to be permanently saved in a museum of music history. I'm helping to find and acquire the music and I'm also involved in developing concepts for the museum. It's because the records are not being bought for resale that we're not necessarily looking for high dollar collectibles. The reason for prefering LPs is that we're gathering all the songs we can. If you know anyone with a VERY large collection he'd like to sell, please let me know. I'm sure a motivated seller would be happy to pay you a handsome commission for connecting him with a buyer.

You know someone already tried this right? He is currently trying to sell it all. You should get in touch with him.

Social source share

Guest anm0552

You know someone already tried this right? He is currently trying to sell it all. You should get in touch with him.

I know Paul very well. I've spend many hours with his collection. In fact, I'm the person who put it on eBay three years ago. He sold all the hogh dollar LPs but the singles archive is intact. My people in Brazil considered buying the singles archive, but at two million dollars it was more than they could spend for the number of songs they'd be getting. Paul's singles archive is without a doubt the greatest collection of fifties and sixties music in the world. He probably has 95-98% of everything ever released. But they're not looking for collectibles; they're just wanting to catalog all the songs in whatever form they can be found. The project is for the preservation of the music.

Social source share

Guest anm0552

Very interesting concept. With a concept like this how will you ensure that you don't just get tons of junk / bad conditions sent?

So far we've been lucky. And since we've been buying in the US, we've been able to see the large collections before we buy. We're getting ready to close a deal on 300,000 records, but we've also seen the collection. We're looking at another one in Canada considsting of about 70,000 pieces. We'll go and look first. So to take the time and expense of going to Europe, we're hoping to find collections big enough to make the trip worthwhile.

Social source share

Guest Ti Mamze

"He probably has 95-98% of everything ever released"

Given the profoundly local nature of thousands of labels, that's utter f--king BS.

Social source share

Given the profoundly local nature of thousands of labels, that's utter f--king BS.

I met Paul once, he came over to England and visited us at the UK Music Master offices.

He certainly doesn't have 95% of everything ever released as his books prove.

He was alright though.

Social source share

There's something off about this deal. It would be nice to have a direct contact with the would be archiver. If it is was it is - the collector seems more like Howard Hughes or Charles Foster Kane than John Manship. So someone wants to preserve records? How - in some 2 square mile underground bunker? Is anyone going to have access to them? If so, what terms?

And the above comment about Mawhinney having 95% of 50s - 60% music is of course complete crap. Maybe stuff on major labels or chart artists. His 'rare LPs' were hardly earth shattering. A far cry from L..... in Detroit selling his LP collection - now that was a hell of a set.....

Social source share

And also they say " Heavy on Detroit/Northern Soul would be a plus"

A good collection of Detroit / Northern will cost upwards of 5 grand to infinity!

Not to mention being almost completely unrepresentative of "all of the recorded music in the world" as is the stated aim according to the topic starter.

Think I'm going to build an archive of all the different types of bank notes in the world currently in circulation - heavy on large denomination notes would be a plus. Nice, crisps copies please!

Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This may sound a bit negative, sorry for that, but are you guys sure you´re on the right forum asking for a donation of collections to someone unknown to everybody in Brasil? With most of us spending our hard earned dosh on our beloved 45s since our youth... :huh:

Anyway, good luck :hatsoff2:

Edited by hermanthegerman
Social source share

Guest anm0552

Hey I have a good collection of UK label Northern Soul, Soul, 60's Beat, Girl groups and so on and nobody on here wants them so you are welcome to them chaps. Just want shut of them now.

I wasn't asking you to donate these. It appeared from what you wrote that you were willing to. Depending on what's in the collection, the condition and the price, we might be interesting in purchasing. I'm not in charge of what these people choose to buy, and sometimes I wonder about their decisions.

Social source share

Guest anm0552

If you do the math on the number of years most music was released on 45s and the number of individual releases in his singles archive (close to 200,000) he's comne pretty damn close.

Social source share

Guest anm0552

There's something off about this deal. It would be nice to have a direct contact with the would be archiver. If it is was it is - the collector seems more like Howard Hughes or Charles Foster Kane than John Manship. So someone wants to preserve records? How - in some 2 square mile underground bunker? Is anyone going to have access to them? If so, what terms?

And the above comment about Mawhinney having 95% of 50s - 60% music is of course complete crap. Maybe stuff on major labels or chart artists. His 'rare LPs' were hardly earth shattering. A far cry from L..... in Detroit selling his LP collection - now that was a hell of a set.....

Paul Mawhinney's collection of three million took fourteen thousand square feet to store, so I don't think our man will need two square miles. He's now in the early stages of planning a museum around the records, which will be open to the public.

Social source share

Guest anm0552

There is already a world-wide archive of recorded music, it's called 'the internet'

According the the curator of the US Library of Congress (who I've had a number of conversations with), less than twenty percent of what's on vinyl has been digitized, and most of it never will be. In addition, over the past few years, the big record companies have destroyed thousands of original master tapes. So people like those of you on this forum and others around the world who love the music are doing great work to help ensure the music isn't lost forever.

Social source share

According the the curator of the US Library of Congress (who I've had a number of conversations with), less than twenty percent of what's on vinyl has been digitized, and most of it never will be. In addition, over the past few years, the big record companies have destroyed thousands of original master tapes. So people like those of you on this forum and others around the world who love the music are doing great work to help ensure the music isn't lost forever.

the curator is familiar with every genre and release of music ever released is he? and he knows it won't ever be, despite more and more of it being online every hour? he has some facts to back this up? what does it matter if record companies destroy master tapes, how is that relevant to already released records?

How are u going to acquire all the recorded music in the world (impossible task) by accumulating vinyl when most releases in the last 10 years or so are not even on vinyl?

nice idea, but slightly mental to expect to come on a soul forum and get a ton of Detroit 45's out of it lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm looking for VERY LARGE record collections. NO collection is TOO big. R&B, pop, blues, jazz, etc. Heavy on Detroit/Northern Soul would be a plus. Prefer LPs to 45s unless what's on the singles is not available on an LP. No junk. All in good, very good and mint condition. Not buying for resale. The records will go into an archive and saved. Will pay cash, fair market value. If you have a great collection you'd like to sell, or know someone who does, please contact me. You may email me directly at catogroup@perigee.net or jpaul@perigee.net

Thanks guys and keep up the good work preserving the greatest music of the twentieth century!

I know Paul very well. I've spend many hours with his collection. In fact, I'm the person who put it on eBay three years ago. He sold all the hogh dollar LPs but the singles archive is intact. My people in Brazil considered buying the singles archive, but at two million dollars it was more than they could spend for the number of songs they'd be getting. Paul's singles archive is without a doubt the greatest collection of fifties and sixties music in the world. He probably has 95-98% of everything ever released. But they're not looking for collectibles; they're just wanting to catalog all the songs in whatever form they can be found. The project is for the preservation of the music.

Hello,

This seems rather confusing, so perhaps you would be kind enough to clear this up for us.

On the one hand you are saying you would prefer ('a plus') Detroit and northern soul 45s (which the vast majority of tracks would be, as they were only seldom issued on LP); yet on the other hand you say you are not looking for expensive collectibles.

[i have highlighted your comments which indicate this]

If you want northern soul singles, and I assume we are talking about the genuine original records here, then surely you must realize that they are all relatively expensive collectibles? Even the cheapest ones (e.g. some of those issued on the Detroit based Ric-Tic label) are comparatively expensive, and you'd be hard pressed to get very many in near-mint condition for less than £10 each. There are also, literally, thousands of non-LP northern soul singles which would cost more than £50 each.

So the question is - are you really wanting to buy large quantities of non-LP northern soul records at the going rate?

Cheers, Peter

Social source share

in any case, you already lost the battle for private press lp's against the undefeatable Marcofunk, he will be willing to drop more $$$$ than any challenger for elusive vinyl and make you cry like a baby. He is the Tony Montana of the private press scene and he takes NO prisoners.

https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=marcofunk&ftab=AllFeedback&rt=nc&myworld=true

:)

Social source share

Paul Mahwhinney isn't a con-artist, he's delusional. He does not have close to 95% of all the singles released. Any collector of any specific genre who looked at his catalog can tell you that. Also, he might have 3 million singles, but does he have 3 million distinct singles? I know someone who bought a warehouse of 45s, picked through them, and then sold 12 palettes of total garbage to someone for a few thousand and the guy had to haul it away. Don't believe his own hype.

I think for a more realistic estimate on what he has, try posting on waxidermy.com, which is filled with a lot of heavy dealers and collectors (not soul oriented though).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

in any case, you already lost the battle for private press lp's against the undefeatable Marcofunk, he will be willing to drop more $$$$ than any challenger for elusive vinyl and make you cry like a baby. He is the Tony Montana of the private press scene and he takes NO prisoners.

https://feedback.ebay...nc&myworld=true

:)

only soul/funk though. lots of different hardcore collectors of expensive private jazz, folk, etc.

Social source share

I thought about this once and although it's better than nothing, it's also sort of wasted work, though, given that the way the music is preserved is through low-quality youtube videos, often playing at the wrong speed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share