Tommy Ducks Pub Manchester City Centre

Guest mickeyfish58

Guest mickeyfish58

Was reading earlier about the ritz all dayers in manchester in the 70s. i remember when i used to go to these all dayers that a gang of us would meet up first in tommy ducks pub in manchester . this pub was very unique in various ways, if you was a female and had never been in before you were requested to remove your panties so they could be pinned to the ceiling/wall and honestly the ceiling was full!!

also if my memory is correct i think there was a coffin in one corner of the pub and also other weird and wonderfull things littered this pub , but my memory fails me.to as what exactly they were

i was wondering if anyone else remembers this pub and if they went in to it before heading off to the ritz.

oh, and remember these were the days when sunday drinking hours were 12 noon til 230pm and then 7pm til 1030pm

would be great to have my memory refreshed to what else was in tommy ducks.

Social source share

Yep I remember Tommy Ducks. The knickers were the thing I remember. Vagually remember the coffin. Crazy place. Think it got knocked down a few years ago!! I seem to recall there being some kind of protest. Funnily enough we were in China Town last night in Manchester, T Ducks was around there somewhere I think.

Social source share

We used to go to Tommy Ducks before the United games after we'd stopped at the Chaddy arms (Oldham) is that still there? , it became a religion with us lot . Remember the Pants on the ceiling and lots of Theatre posters (I think) there was also a toilet that was used as a chair :yes: , happy days ! Thanks for reminding me , we were gutted when it eventually got knocked down. I think at one point everything around it was knocked down and it was there by itself for ages

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Yep I remember Tommy Ducks. The knickers were the thing I remember. Vagually remember the coffin. Crazy place. Think it got knocked down a few years ago!! I seem to recall there being some kind of protest. Funnily enough we were in China Town last night in Manchester, T Ducks was around there somewhere I think.

yeah it got knocked down few years ago, only the brewery, landlord and demolition company knew about it, it happened about 6 in the morning, remember there being a big to do about it and the brewery got fined alot because it was a listed building
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

That coffin was actually a glass-topped table to put yer drinks on.

TD was opp The Midland.

i wonder what happened to the coffin/ glass top table? :g: does anyone know? :shhh:
Social source share

There must be some interior shots . The ceiling was always being photographed.

I think it was a pub popular with theatricals ,, hence the posters. Peter Street was the centre of Manchester theatreland

so it would be a convenient watering hole.

post-7925-0-73167100-1344178867_thumb.jp

post-7925-0-99202000-1344178895_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

supporters of tommy ducks obtained a preservation order, the order expired 12th feb 1993 and the pub was demolished at 1am 13th feb before a new order could be obtained

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

just found out that the beach tavern in blackpool is to be renamed tommy ducks as a tribute to the original one in manchester

i wonder if they will fill the ceiling with knickers?

Social source share

Tommy Ducks was situated where Barboroli Square /Bridgewater hall is ,great Pub which literally was demolished during the night to stop protesters ,mind you in the 70s manchester ciity centre lost loads of pubs this way ,especailly around the Arndale(the swan on withy grove with its downstairs speakeasy for one)

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Tommy Ducks was situated where Barboroli Square /Bridgewater hall is ,great Pub which literally was demolished during the night to stop protesters ,mind you in the 70s manchester ciity centre lost loads of pubs this way ,especailly around the Arndale(the swan on withy grove with its downstairs speakeasy for one)

yeh i remember that one= happy times
Social source share

Guest Torch55

I remember it well. In the mid-seventies, Tommy Ducks was the place to circumvent the licensing laws of the day, if you wished to turn a lunchtime session into something more prolonged. Provided you got in there before 2.00 pm, the opportunity was presented to partake in a lock-in through to the normal evening session. Now, mine host took a dim view of patrons who, availed themselves of his hospitality in the afternoon, but then vacated his premises when other watering holes began to open their doors around 6 o'clock, and he wasn't slow to register his displeasure. This, of course, added further pressure to imbibe beyond what was wise, and I don't recall advice about "sensible drinking" or "recommended daily unit intake" being around to counter such effective social pressure.

Rumour had it that George Best was known to put in the occasional appearance, much as he did for United around this time, though, I never personally witnessed this. I can verify the lingerie display across the ceiling, however, which was the cause of much ribald comment as an afternoon progressed, as can be imagined. I don't recall the glass-topped coffin, though, perhaps that became a feature after my time at this pioneer of themed pubs.

The downside of all this was a post session encounter with a slate-grey Manchester evening and a bleary eyed walk up to Piccadilly Bus Station, for a bus out to Urmston, with a full bladder and a need to concentrate on putting the correct fare into the plastic box-thingy. Thereafter, it was just a case of staying awake beyond Old Trafford in order to make acquaintance with a polystyrene container of steak pudding, chips and gravy, before enjoying the benefits of, what I'll euphemistically call, an early night.

And now Tommy Ducks is no more, and clearly has not been for sometime. Whilst its loss might not merit a blue plaque, it was a bit of Manchester that was emblematic of its era, and news of its demise raises the question of where next?

Social source share

We used to go to Tommy Ducks before the United games after we'd stopped at the Chaddy arms (Oldham) is that still there? , it became a religion with us lot . Remember the Pants on the ceiling and lots of Theatre posters (I think) there was also a toilet that was used as a chair :yes: , happy days ! Thanks for reminding me , we were gutted when it eventually got knocked down. I think at one point everything around it was knocked down and it was there by itself for ages

Cheers

Well remember Tommy Ducks, was a regular watering hole when in town at that time. Chaddy Arms by the way is still there but not a pub anymore, can remember the odd soul do there before going to Ritz nighters in 90's, well I think it was the 90's !!!!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest DaveSwift

On the down side it was a Greenhall Whitley house,Grunhalle anyone :lol: Steve

the guiness was good though

we used to pop in before rafters on saturday nights around 1978

they used to have a Panama Jazz band playing

good times those

Dave

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

the guiness was good though

we used to pop in before rafters on saturday nights around 1978

they used to have a Panama Jazz band playing

good times those

Dave

ahhhhhhhhhhh rafters.yes....and rotters........... Edited by mickeyfish58
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

has anyone got any old interior pics of tommy ducks that they could post up please?

Edited by mickeyfish58
Social source share

there is a rumour that has been doing the rounds in manchester for decades that there was a tunnel connecting tommy ducks to the midland hotel, anyone know anything about this ,? also our meeting place before the ritz was paddys goose or rowntrees sound in paddys goose you got a lot of the sale blue room / blackpool mecca crowd,, i was more a wigan,sixties person, but as i remember it we all got on well and both camps would meet at carolines on a tuesday and at the ritz for the all dayers , i.m talking about the manchester crowd in the mid seventies .

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

there is a rumour that has been doing the rounds in manchester for decades that there was a tunnel connecting tommy ducks to the midland hotel, anyone know anything about this ,? also our meeting place before the ritz was paddys goose or rowntrees sound in paddys goose you got a lot of the sale blue room / blackpool mecca crowd,, i was more a wigan,sixties person, but as i remember it we all got on well and both camps would meet at carolines on a tuesday and at the ritz for the all dayers , i.m talking about the manchester crowd in the mid seventies .

dont know about the tunnel, but remember rowntrees very well and ralphs record shop more or less next door
Social source share

Now that we've got all you mancs in the memory mode

In 1976 Used to get to chorlton road bus station about 7.30 Saturday nights meet up with the Yorkshire crowd and a few Mancs make are way to Victoria to get the bus or train to Wigan

Called in a few pubs before going to get the bus to Wigan

Up near the arndale we used to call in a pub/club think it was downstairs and was decorated purple velvet cant remember what it was called anyone???

Spike

Social source share

I used to Work at Manchester Tiffany's on oxford street 1980/82. Used to go in Tommy duck's quite a lot and always before Ritz all-dayers.

Anyone remember Kloisters on Oxford street? They had Northern nights on a Friday.

Also Brewsters (up near Piccadilly, somewhere) with Brian Rae on a tuesday?

Good times in Manc early eighties, even though I am a Leeds Fan :thumbsup:

Louis

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

In 1976 Used to get to chorlton road bus station about 7.30 Saturday nights meet up with the Yorkshire crowd and a few Mancs make are way to Victoria to get the bus or train to Wigan

Up near the arndale we used to call in a pub/club think it was downstairs and was decorated purple velvet cant remember what it was called anyone???

Spike

was that not rowntrees?
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

I used to Work at Manchester Tiffany's on oxford street 1980/82. Used to go in Tommy duck's quite a lot and always before Ritz all-dayers.

Anyone remember Kloisters on Oxford street? They had Northern nights on a Friday.

Also Brewsters (up near Piccadilly, somewhere) with Brian Rae on a tuesday?

Good times in Manc early eighties, even though I am a Leeds Fan :thumbsup:

Louis

was kloisters next door or near to jillys bar? ps yes forgive you for being a leeds fan= i am a bury fan :facepalm: Edited by mickeyfish58
Social source share

was kloisters next door or near to jillys bar? ps yes forgive you for being a leeds fan= i am a bury fan :facepalm:

Kloisters was across the road from Tiffany's and was basically the night club where you could get in, if you couldn't get in anywhere else. It was always going off there at weekends.

Jilly's bar (I think) was part of Henry's ( same side As Tiffany's on Oxford street) and ran heavy rock nights there.

Louis

PS I like Bury FC............

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Can't remember the name but can remember them playing lots of pop roxy music ect think it wAs just somewhere to go before getting the bus

yeah it be rowntrees and i think it used to close at 11pm and the non soulies then went around the corner to pips
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

I think Kloisters was almost opp the Odeon - more or less opp where the Circus is now. You had to keep movin not to stick to carpets. Wasn't there are huge statue of a knight in armour half way down the stairs? Or was that Barons? Or were they the same gaff?

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

I think Kloisters was almost opp the Odeon - more or less opp where the Circus is now. You had to keep movin not to stick to carpets. Wasn't there are huge statue of a knight in armour half way down the stairs? Or was that Barons? Or were they the same gaff?

bloomin heck, yeah i vaguely remember that suit of armour, but cannot remember name of club. happy days/nights eh? .........foo foo lamars. bier keller, tommy ducks= how are we still alive lol
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

bloomin heck, yeah i vaguely remember that suit of armour, but cannot remember name of club. happy days/nights eh? .........foo foo lamars. bier keller, tommy ducks= how are we still alive lol

Bloody 'ell Foo Foo's , ended up there after we got locked out of a United v Spurs midweek cup game , when we ended up driving back to Lincolnshire the driver fell asleep on the fast lane of the M62 in a Lancia Gamma !!

Happy days indeed!

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Bloody 'ell Foo Foo's , ended up there after we got locked out of a United v Spurs midweek cup game , when we ended up driving back to Lincolnshire the driver fell asleep on the fast lane of the M62 in a Lancia Gamma !!

Happy days indeed!

pmsl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Spike

I think that downstairs bar was called The Highland bar seem to remember quite a lot of tartan kicking around as well just around the corner was a bar called The Auld Reekie that was at the back of the underground market next door to a military shop where we also used to go

just up from the Highland in a side street was The Shakespeare

Tommy Ducks also had a vault which was painted all black with the walls papered with old white £5 notes

Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

i had forgotten all about the old five pound notes on the walls, thanks for reminding me andy :thumbsup:

Edited by mickeyfish58
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

i had forgotten all about the old five pound notes on the walls, thanks for reminding me andy :thumbsup:

hey Mickey those nickers , i can still see them now LoL!

Some of them gussets were well past their throw away date :yes:

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

so were some of the women that wore them :g:
Social source share

Now then, is this you Carts lad ??

ATB

(NotQuiteAsMadAsIWas) Tony

Social source share

No flies on you Tony, nice to see you in town the other day. yes i remember the old fivers as well, there was a bar on the other side of the road called the playground i think, it decorated a wall with old 45s stuck on , someone , russ wilde from stockport i think peeled off gene chandler nothing can stop me on stateside , if anyone has a copy of this with the b side label torn off , thats probably where it came from

Social source share

No flies on you Tony, nice to see you in town the other day. yes i remember the old fivers as well, there was a bar on the other side of the road called the playground i think, it decorated a wall with old 45s stuck on , someone , russ wilde from stockport i think peeled off gene chandler nothing can stop me on stateside , if anyone has a copy of this with the b side label torn off , thats probably where it came from

I suspect the clue lay your (not quite) Nom De Plume :hatsoff2:

T

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

i wonder if any of the ladies whose knickers were pinned to the ceiling of tommy ducks are members on here? come on ladies, do not be shy.......................
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!