Come On, Be A Man, My Son

Guest Jamie

I'm abso-bleedin-lutingly sick of everyone on this site knowing who is perpetrating every slime-ball tactic in the book copying/booting/stealing tunes and not revealing names.

OK, that can because you are still mates with them, go back a lot of years, but as far as I am concerned, that's no excuse.

If you know who these people are, and are man enough to admit, then tell everyone who they are.

Stop frickin' talking in code, not everyone is in the in-crowd. I want to know who these wan*ers are, and if we all know, then a) It will cause them to stop through embarrassment, or cool.gif if A doesn't work, then let's make enough noise until A works.

I don't give a monkey's, email me with the names and I'll reveal them. What are they going to do??? Sue me for libel? I don't think so.

Why protect these ar*eholes.

Enough is enough.

The time is right.........

EMAIL ME @ JAMIEN1@BTINTERNET.COM

And if you are one of these shysters stealing, and living off past-glories then be afraid, be very afraid.

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Couldn't agree more.

There's a slightly odd story about the Butch/Ady C/Modstock rip-off on the front of the site which purports to tell the whole story and ends by saying it's time we stood up to these people and didn't deal with them...but doesn't reveal who these people are? I don't know for sure but someone does. Andy Dyson named Stearn on RSF as the recorder but as far as I know no-one has confirmed the end-users.

The law of libel includes the defence of 'justification': this means the complained-of statements were true. It's a complete defence so if you know you're right there's nothing to be afraid of. Come on: name names.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Well said that man,nameing names is the only way forward!there is to much controversy going on on the scene today with all the backstabbing and venue clashing etc!we dont need these thefts etc!! If i knew any names that was invoved with the thefts etc i would have t-shirts witt their names on to advertise to promoters etc

I say F..KUM.cant stand theives. Graham.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

That's it Jamie, let's take the buggers down!

furthermore, so called 'DJ's' playing the said acetates should hang their heads in shame!

If you can't find/cant be arsed/don't have the brains to find your own tunes, don't thieve other peoples! How desperate are you for glory, that you have to steal someone elses!

Social source share

Couldn't agree more.

There's a slightly odd story about the Butch/Ady C/Modstock rip-off on the front of the site which purports to tell the whole story and ends by saying it's time we stood up to these people and didn't deal with them...but doesn't reveal who these people are?

Hiya Dan,

Slightly pedantic, but may explain a bit - I posted this thread at 11:39 last night, and the article in News was done early this morning.

So I hope in some way my post prompted some action.

And got to agree with Trevski, those DJ's who knowingly play these tunes should be ashamed.

Come on, let's get them all out in the open and show people what we stand for.

Social source share

Agree with all previous comments. The tossers playing acetates from the recordings are just as culpable as the thief who did the recording - no promotoer with an ounce of integrity should hire any "DJ" that plays such acetates and the jocks in question should be named and shamed and not hired again. Anywhere. No excuses. It's pure and simply theft and frankly disgusting - we're better than that on the northern scene and these people should be excluded permanently.

And if any of the tunes are pressed up, every soul night in the land should prevent any dealer selling this crap - again, no excuses. If anyone profits from this theft it's a disgrace.

Come on - let's have some names of these so called DJs....

Rich

Social source share

i heard a dj play the mello souls at the weekend and if I am right there are only two copies - butch & dean anderson - and it wasnt either of them!

Shane

Social source share

On a slightly lighter note, how do you snap an acetate? Don't think anyone's gonna let us into a venue with an angle grinder.

On a more serious note, I don't have a fuggin clue what this is all about. From the threads it seems someone taped a spot and is banging out acetates which IMHO is a hanging offence. Says a lot for DJs using the mic though, if you natter a bit over the beginning of each record then there's fugg all for them to tape.

Social source share

i heard a dj play the mello souls at the weekend and if I am right there are only two copies - butch & dean anderson - and it wasnt either of them!

Shane

Kenny Burrell and Kitch have copies

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

On a slightly lighter note, how do you snap an acetate? Don't think anyone's gonna let us into a venue with an angle grinder.

On a more serious note, I don't have a fuggin clue what this is all about. From the threads it seems someone taped a spot and is banging out acetates which IMHO is a hanging offence. Says a lot for DJs using the mic though, if you natter a bit over the beginning of each record then there's fugg all for them to tape.

That makes it easy to see if they have a real one or not. Run up to the decks and try to snap it. If you can't break it then they are a scum bag thief and should be chucked out and exposed.

If it breaks, then everything is cool.cool.gif

Social source share

Make a stand and make a stand i have, this is basically or partly why i've called it a day for the time being anyway, just another fucked up part of this very corrupt scene, the passion has just gone i'm affraid, all that's good about this scene has been abused.

It's funny but the good guys get fucked here on this scene and the wankers do what they like, in certain areas of this scene from the top down it's spoon fed bollocks run by a few people who think they know best in certain areas at least, they all piss in the same pot and it's simply overflowing, they bootleg together, run gigs together and make out it's their's and think they control the scene but in truth they are souless dick heads who are only interested in making loads of money off the back of the original talent and other peoples dedication, commitment and passion.

It stinks to be perfectly honest, how dare these people take the piss out of everyone on the scene and then want the respect, status and cudos that goes with this scene.

For far too long now we have all let it go and let then do what they like, now it's time for change as this tide is very much turning, shit sticks but then it rises and i wanna be there when all this "togetherkeeping the faith" for my own ends and milking it dry ethic comes crashing down, then get it back underground where it belongs with a true following of people who care about the scene and when the shit heads fall flat on their faces let's hope they take all the bootlegs, crap, t - shirts, car stickers, clocks and all the other shite with them.

How dare some of this people claim to be the market leader and brand Northern Soul it's again total bollocks, the sooner people challenge this the better so please don't insult me and present your own watered down version of what you think the scene should be.

Why should i be made to feel like i am right now totally fed up with the whole sick scene and be forced to call it a day from DJ'ing well in short i refuse to be told who i can and can't work for thats insulting and believe me it goes on big time.

Still better to hold your head high and go out proud rather than be a yes man to the puppet masters....... I really enjoy playing records out there and i'm pretty good at it and have always tried to do my best so i feel sorry for the hardcore people many of which have tried to talk me out of packing it in, but i would look rather silly if i changed my mind.

If we can shop the bootleggers that will be a start so now it's time to join forces i think and get the job done.....i.e finally rid this scene of some of the crap going's on of late.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

it wasn't them either!

Shane

Funnily enough Shane, I heard it somewhere the other week and asked just the question you have as none of the known to me owners were DJing, but I was told someone did have a copy who was DJing.

Now comes the tricky part, I cant remember who I asked but I know it would have been someone knowlegeable and I cant remember the DJ's name.

Social source share

You put it in a nutshell Mark. Too many people purporting to be doing the best for the scene but are just egomaniacs. Stick by your principals. That crap about "if you DJ for him you won't DJ here or there again" is the most insulting thing anyone can say to a DJ. You know what, they can stick their fuggin venues, no matter how big the gig is. I'd rather DJ in a shite little back street pub where passionate people are listening to and playing originals and there's no limits to what you can play (as long as it's original).

This scene needs more principalled people who are into the music for the music and for the crowd who love it. All these DJs and promoters who are milking the scene should remember why they got into it in the first place; because they love the music. Somewhere along the line they became corrupted by what they could take from it rather than what they could put into it. I and others I know have travelled great distances at extreme costs to us to DJ at venues and either haven't got paid or what we did get paid wasn't enough to cover the fare but we do it because we love making people dance. I'm not trying to make myself out to be holier than thou or anything, all I'm saying is we should all remember why we're into it and share that passion with others. Ripping people off to further your own ends is disgraceful. The scene would be at a great loss if you stopped DJing Mark, think of the joy it gives you when you see people dance to your tunes and the joy people get from dancing to them. That's what it's all about. Giving up won't achieve anything, it'll just let the milkers get away with more. Choose where you DJ and let it be known that you're DJing at a certain place because their integrity can't be questioned but don't give up something you love because a moinority of shitheads are out to spoil things and grab all the money they can get. We're bigger and better than that.

Hope I haven't offended with anything I've said here, I just think the scene will benefit more by your presence than your absence.

Social source share

some very good sound and principled points being made here, specially by Mark and Paulie, believe me there are a lot of people who TOTALLY agree with these comments about so called promoters/fans and to be fair its not just the top of the tree lot who wind me up, further down the local smaller does are poisoned by the same mindset of money , boots, CDs, friends having spots ( sometimes people who shouldnt be allowed within 2 continents of a record deck with what they have to play,) etc etc etc etc etc.

but this has been going on for years with people too few to mention who have abused the blind faith of soul fans.

I bet everybody no matter what does they go to or where they live can give examples of the purist venues which adhere to the traditions of the music we love and why......and the shitbag venues where you just shake your head and say they just dont understand and are taking the p*** !!!!!

still laughing at troubles scenario of snapping the original though.......

Social source share

See the pic with his head in his hands...I reckon that's what he'd look like if he accidentally snapped an original.

The truth will out about all the thieves, bootleggers and hangers on eventually and when they've milked everything they can out of it and move on, we'll still be here playing great music for great people. It's easy to get disheartened but take a look at what we have got and the amount of good people there are and the friends we've made only because of soul and all that far outweighes what's bad about the scene.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Would metal shears work? Or you could just pour neat alcohol on the discs, that ruins acetates good and proper. Ceremonial burning could create a suitable spectacle, of course, but would be a bit messy.

Social source share

That makes it easy to see if they have a real one or not. Run up to the decks and try to snap it. If you can't break it then they are a scum bag thief and should be chucked out and exposed.

If it breaks, then everything is cool.cool.gif

Trouble, you're in trouble!

I've snapped everything in my box and **** me they seem to have all been originals apart from a one real heavy one that smells of wax crayons with Trident Studios written on it!!

Anybody got any supper glue?!

Social source share

Alcohol would do....and bollocks up the decks...oh, got it, you've got to take them off the decks first. I reckon a good old stanley knife would cut through the vinyl good and proper, you don't necessarily have to snap the disc.

Plus, any bootleg playing sod who sees someone approach him with a stanley knife would think twice about doing it again.

Let's not encourage violence to these people though, just send them to Coventry (are there any good soul nights there though??!!)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Trouble, you're in trouble!

I've snapped everything in my box and **** me they seem to have all been originals apart from a one real heavy one that smells of wax crayons with Trident Studios written on it!!

Anybody got any supper glue?!

Sorry Hippo, you're only ment to do it to DJs you think may be playing a pressing at a night you're attending. Duh.headbonk.gif

Social source share

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS INTENSELY BORING. SORRY.

Bootlegging in this sense isn't a criminal offence, Wendy, but a civil wrong and the only remedy lies with the copyright holder.

Interestingly, if you play anything unreleased, which you have discovered and transferred to an acetate without the copyright holder's permission you are yourself, technically, a bootlegger...though I guess we wouldn't have any issues with that if a) the acetate-owner had discovered the tape him/herself and cool.gif he/she had made genuine efforts to track down the copyright owner?

It's when that acetate is later copied by underhand methods that we get pissed off, isn't it.

To get totally anal about this, even playing original 45s in a venue which doesn't pay the BMI for the right to play live music (eg sports halls, Working Men's Clubs and the like) is infringing the copyright of the rights holders for those records. Technically, you are supposed to pay for the right to broadcast music to an audience. Not that, realistically, anyone's ever going to give a toss.

However, bootlegging in the sense of creating and selling 45s which you claim are original but which are fakes is a simple fraud and the cops would be very interested in this, especially given the rates being paid for stuff these days.

Dull Dan.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

hey all

can i ask what seems to me an obvious question? isnt bootlegging illegal? so why cant this matter be taken to the attention of the police? piracy is theft after all. apologies if i am being naive.......

Without a big record company breathing down their neck I doubt whether they'd be in the least bit interested. Ditto the local authority. They just look for current chart films and recordings being booted.

Social source share

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS INTENSELY BORING. SORRY.

Bootlegging in this sense isn't a criminal offence, Wendy, but a civil wrong and the only remedy lies with the copyright holder.

thanks dan - i honestly didnt know that, which is why i asked the question.

so now i have an answer.

except i still have a massive question mark hanging over my head as i dont understand why all this happened....

Social source share

Guest biggray1

hey all

can i ask what seems to me an obvious question? isnt bootlegging illegal? so why cant this matter be taken to the attention of the police? piracy is theft after all. apologies if i am being naive.......

Wendy,by informing the authorities on the information that we all know of would become a bigger investigation than the Yorkshire Rippers Case back in the Seventies! and we all know how big and costly that was! Imagine all the Uk and US CD&Record supliers would probably be the first to be investigated!! Then there would be private complaints from the public to sought out and investigate their accusations!The time and cost would be massive! So at this time these so called promoters come bootleggers and Thives will have covered their tracks for sure! I think the only way to hurt these villans especialy the villans that act as promoters etc is to report their activitys to the Tax man! unearnt income is a definate crime. Just a thought on this method! who does declare the thousands thats made at loads of uk venues! at $4.00 a head the taxman will want his percentage wont he!!!!!!

Social source share

Lots of talk and lots of good points made but still no names??? tell me please about the filth bags out there...just send me an email and i can pass it on...I don't want to be lining the pockets of these people...Come on people, don't just talk, lets have names..There are a lot of people on this site and i think together we can make a difference..Long live the revolution...

Social source share

good to see everywhere things coming out in open seems a groundswell of enuff is enuff finally hitting home.. have asked elsewhere on this site why these "top" dj's get invited to the top gigs, why you others will dj with them and why punters turn up pay top money and listen to them.. and which promoters pay them? everyone is guilty to some extent for saying nowt till now.

Naming these people/records finally rather than the never ending coded innuendo will bring this all out in open allowing people make an educated decision if they want to attend/play/promote gigs where they play or purchase their merchandise.

do we all have the same morals bout all counterfeit items; dvd's, computer software, sunglasses, clothing etc too? note the poll re where everyone logs on from. The answer i got when i questioned KR bout 4 Vandals on ebay was u dont have to buy it, as long as you dont dress it up to be something different was my retort.

Danny D

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I think the only way to hurt these villans especialy the villans that act as promoters etc is to report their activitys to the Tax man!

Thats how they got Al Capone after all. However, do we really want the revenue checking out every venue and requiring everyone who runs an event to state any profits (if there are any) in their tax return, or risk prosecution for not doing so? It would probably be more trouble than it is worth to run an event unless it was one of the massive ones. And the people often running those are the people with enough cashflow to make it worth their while sorting out a tax return and hiding all the profits as dubious expenses, some of the same people that we'd like to see the back of. I think getting the authorities interested might just result in us shooting ourselves in the foot/our feet (?).

Boycott their events, its the only way to deal with behaviour you don't approve of, but I doubt whether it'll make much difference.

Social source share

Re poll Danny, owning your own business you aren't really wasting company resources, it's just the same as logging on at home for you.

Soul source is a pleasant distraction to the stresses of the office and we're not really doing anything others don't do. But you're right though, it all boils down to what's right and what's wrong, we just choose the degrees of wrongness.

Jesus that was heavy...sorry folks.

Social source share

Dan, Sorry correct me if i'm wrong here but the playing of tunes, live music etc. at a venue has nothing to do with the BPI as this is a performing rights issue and to my knowledge this is a totally different organisation, you will often see a blue sticker displayed at venues which referes to the PRS i think.

The BPI is the governing body for the music industry to i understand it's paid up members only, so it's for the big fish Beatles, Stones, Madona etc. and they can't stop their recordings being ripped off so what chance has a forty year old non hit soul record...none.

Good valid point shere though.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Sorry Mark, you're right - it's a public performance licence thingy, not BMI...but you know what I mean. Pubs and clubs have them, not smaller venues was the point I was making.

Slightly off topic anyway...I was being a bit jobbsy.

In a 'name names' spirit, can you tell us who barred you from working for them by the way?

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Thats how they got Al Capone after all. However, do we really want the revenue checking out every venue and requiring everyone who runs an event to state any profits (if there are any) in their tax return, or risk prosecution for not doing so? It would probably be more trouble than it is worth to run an event unless it was one of the massive ones. And the people often running those are the people with enough cashflow to make it worth their while sorting out a tax return and hiding all the profits as dubious expenses, some of the same people that we'd like to see the back of. I think getting the authorities interested might just result in us shooting ourselves in the foot/our feet (?).

Boycott their events, its the only way to deal with behaviour you don't approve of, but I doubt whether it'll make much difference.

Do we really want the Inlandrevenue checking out all venues on the scene!!I will try and answer this in plain English Stuart T! YOU AND I PAY OUR TAXES ON EVERY ITEM WE PURCHASE ETC! WHEN I VISIT THE CINEMA OR WATCH TV ETC I HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS SERVICE VIA TV LICENSE OR DOOR CHARGE IE ADMISION PRICES! INCORPERATED IN THESE CHARGES THERE IS A PERCENTAGE TAKEN OUT FOR VIEWIN AND LISTENING TO SONG FILM OR ACT! THIS IS KNOWN AS ROYALTIES ETC! THIS IS UK LAW!! EVERY ORGANISATION WHO ALOWSPUBLIC BROADCASTS OF RECORDS FILMS ETC MUST PAY THIS LEVY ! IF THEY DONT THEN THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW! ALL ORGANISATIONS WICH HIRE OUT ROOMS FOR THESE ACTIVITES SHOULD LET THE PROMOTER OR ORGANISER KNOW ABOUT THESE RULES!

THEN ITS LEFT TO THE PROMOTER TO APPLY TO THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES TO GAIN PERMISSION TO ORGANISE SUCH AN EVENT! ITS OBVIOUS THIS IS NOT HAPPENING IS IT! MILLIONS OF POUNDS OF UNPAYED ROYALTIES ARE GOING INTO THE POCKETS OF THESE SO CALLED BUISNESS MEN OR PROMOTERSWHEN IT SHOULD BE GOING TOTHE PROPER BENEFICIARYS.

THIS THEFT AS BEEN GOING ON TO LONG AND ITS ABOUT TIME IT STOPPED!!

TO MANY VENUES AND TO MANY GREEDY INDIVISUALS ARE MILKING THE SYSTEM! THE SOONER THESE SO CALLED DJ PROMOTERS ARE DRIVEN OUT AND THE BIG BOYS INVESTIGATED THE BETTER! SAME AS MARK BICKNALL SAID LETS GET THE SCENE BACK UNDERGROUND WHERE IT BELONGS COS AFTER ALL ITS ABOUT THE MUSIC NOT THE FUCKIN MONEY!

Social source share

this sounds a bit to idealist...i imagine the artists you might be listening/dancing to were hoping to make some money as were the label and all the families related to the workforce.

if its not about the money why is the price of this "working mans" music so fn expensive and elitest at times.

where exactly underground is it gonna go, into your bedroom (that b overground ed)? as you want everyone including the venue to be 100% accountable their wont be nowhere to go....must we always hav to resort to the tiniest mingiest whole to play these tunes....theirs nothing wrong with someone putting on a good event and making a buck.

Most promoters put up their own (tax paid) dosh not knowing if they'll see a return on their outlay.

take away phone calls, printing, time taken to distribute, organising equipment, related headaches, hoping people turn up, profit per hour if any is low.

lets not tar everyone and no need to go backwards to clean this scene up,

Danny D

Social source share

Shane

There's three, well four actually. Butch, Kitch, Kenny Burrell and Dez Parker has a studio disc, Dick Charles acetate. Dunno how kosher as Mello Souls is a Virtue recording but heard he paid a bit for it.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

DANNY D ITS THE WORKING MAN WHO YOU MENTION WHO PAYS TAX ON HIS OR HER DRINKS AT THESE VENUES AND THE VAT ON CDS ETC FROM THESE SUPLIERS! WHY CANT THE TAX BE TAKEN OUT OUR DOOR CHARGE! OR IS THAT YOUR MENTION OF THOSE EARNING A BUCK ETC! WORRY ABOUT EQUIPMENT AND PHONE CALS AND PRINTING AND STRESS ETC! ITS THESE FEW THINGS THEY DONT WORRY ABOUT! NORTHERN SOUL AS TURNED INTO A CASH COW AND EVERY TOSSER IS OUT FOR A EASY BUCK! SORRY MY FREIND IF MY WORDS SOUND ABRASIVE BUT MY CONCERN IS THAT QUALITY SOUL NITE ARE IN A DECLINE AND THE DISCO TYPO PLAYING PLAYED OUT OLDIES ARE RIFE AND THEY ARNT HELPING OUR LOVED SCENE!

PROGRESS IS THE KEY WORD!NEW MUSIC IS THE WAY FORWARD!

Social source share

I can guarantee that even if you knew those involved you would still book the DJ's concerned (well some promoters) and support the venues of others involoved. It's all well and good spouting off on a public forum but when it comes down to the nitty gritty.......

Before you go around naming and shaming you have to be 100% or you will be knee deep in shit!! You have to be certain of what is going on and have the facts to back it up, no good going by hearsay on a public forum.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

I can guarantee that even if you knew those involved you would still book the DJ's concerned (well some promoters) and support the venues of others involoved.  It's all well and good spouting off on a public forum but when it comes down to the nitty gritty.......

Before you go around naming and shaming you have to be 100% or you will be knee deep in shit!!  You have to be certain of what is going on and have the facts to back it up, no good going by hearsay on a public forum.

Yes your bang on there chalkster! takes a lot of balls to stand up and point the finger dont it! but my last posts was to get the villans to pay the piper like we do! dont intend to name names! hope these few words we have wrote help winkle out the buggers!

Where on our way!!!

Social source share

YOU AND I PAY OUR TAXES ON EVERY ITEM WE PURCHASE ETC! WHEN I VISIT THE CINEMA OR WATCH TV ETC I HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS SERVICE VIA TV LICENSE OR DOOR CHARGE IE ADMISION PRICES! INCORPERATED IN THESE CHARGES THERE IS A PERCENTAGE TAKEN OUT FOR VIEWIN AND LISTENING TO SONG FILM OR ACT! THIS IS KNOWN AS ROYALTIES ETC! THIS IS UK LAW!! EVERY ORGANISATION WHO ALOWSPUBLIC BROADCASTS OF RECORDS FILMS ETC MUST PAY THIS LEVY ! IF THEY DONT THEN THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW! ALL ORGANISATIONS WICH HIRE OUT ROOMS FOR THESE ACTIVITES SHOULD LET THE PROMOTER OR ORGANISER KNOW ABOUT THESE RULES!

THEN ITS LEFT TO THE PROMOTER TO APPLY TO THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES TO GAIN PERMISSION TO ORGANISE SUCH AN EVENT! ITS OBVIOUS THIS IS NOT HAPPENING IS IT!  MILLIONS OF POUNDS OF UNPAYED ROYALTIES ARE GOING INTO THE POCKETS OF THESE SO CALLED BUISNESS MEN OR PROMOTERSWHEN IT SHOULD BE GOING TOTHE PROPER BENEFICIARYS.

THIS THEFT AS BEEN GOING ON TO LONG AND ITS ABOUT TIME IT STOPPED!!

TO MANY VENUES AND TO MANY GREEDY INDIVISUALS ARE MILKING THE SYSTEM! THE SOONER THESE SO CALLED DJ PROMOTERS ARE DRIVEN OUT AND THE BIG BOYS INVESTIGATED THE BETTER! SAME AS MARK BICKNALL SAID LETS GET THE SCENE BACK UNDERGROUND WHERE IT BELONGS COS AFTER ALL ITS ABOUT THE MUSIC NOT THE FUCKIN MONEY!

I presume you have paid the necessary licence fee for the piece of film you use as your avatar then ?

After all, it's a clearly recognisable image, so someone must own the copyright on that particular film clip. Same with Chalkies cartoon character as well I suppose :-)

The point being you have to take into account the reasonableness of each issue on it's own individual merits. Sure, strictly speaking, someone owns the images you both use, but I for one would think it unreasonable to expect you to have to licence the image to use as your avatar on Soul Source.

The same principle applies to Soul nights and allnighters.

Social source share

Lost count of the number of rumours and scandals I've heard about in my relatively short time on the scene and let's face it, very few people are going to be prepared to name names (and I don't blame them really considering the slagging matches that kick off when they do). I can understand people wanting to warn others but this 'you'd be shocked if you knew who was doing this' line just sounds like saying 'I know something you don't know!'

In any scene there's always going to be those who want to make it commercial and make money. If you disapprove of people's activities then you can choose to avoid going to their events or DJing for them, and go to/ do the ones that you're comfortable with... ie stand up for what you believe in.

Social source share

When i was a kid, i used to go to venues to dance and listen to brilliant music............24 years on and i'm getting tired of all this, really think i may start staying at home and listen to my vinyl alone.......once again, ********* fed up.

Social source share

If anyone does want to name names, just post up them in the freebasing section under 'common British names' or something like that. According to a friend ,who is a QC, you would need a very large sum of money to get it to court for liable and would most probably lose anyway. Also, Mike will have a disclaimer somewhere about 'views of posters not expressing those of the host etc etc. so there would be no reprocussions there.

Social source share

You can't just put up names, this is open to abuse by anyone with a gripe or jealous streak..u would need the crime listed too.

Surely its better to have a question asked openly with a right to reply, possibly the "accused " is unaware that his actions are annoying someone and being convicted without fair trial. Maybe a case for proper freelance investigative journalism on our scene where any bones of contention can be questioned and answered in a proper manner.

Some of you ask for names, examples mentioned on earlier threads (tho one of mike's seem to have disappeared) ...why so many threads bout same thing? What exactly is all the other the crap on the scene; please get specific?

Profits-See nothing wrong with anyone making money from the scene if the product is wanted and properly presented. ..nobody gets riled in the other music genres techno/house/rock scenes where promoters, djs and acts all get big reward wots wrong with that...surely profit means the scene is healthy

Morals- how many tell a seller that he is under pricing a 45 on ebay and you'll pay him a bit more and maybe you then sell on at minimum profit or do you auction to the highest bidder?

Boots- so not one of you have ever owned a boot (or sold one) liars....and you always know any original. Wonder why so many seek advice bout how you tell if its original, see many on ebay and why JM decided to publish a guide that sells well?

Top djs playing pressings (or cd's at an oldies night), stealing current in demand sounds from their peers by outlandish methods, abusing your position in say a radio station, all these facts/rumours and more need proper discussion and bringing to everyone's attention not just to a coded secret circle .. just printing up names without reason will rip this scene further apart.

Danny D

Social source share

Guest biggray1

I presume you have paid the necessary licence fee for the piece of film you use as your avatar then ?

After all, it's a clearly recognisable image, so someone must own the copyright on that particular film clip. Same with Chalkies cartoon character as well I suppose :-)

The point being you have to take into account the reasonableness of each issue on it's own individual merits. Sure, strictly speaking, someone owns the images you both use, but I for one would think it unreasonable to expect you to have to licence the image to use as your avatar on Soul Source.

The same principle applies to Soul nights and allnighters.

Hiya Dave! You have made a good point mate! Copywrite is a matter that we all tend to ignore especially like copying Cds and tapeing etc!but the matter you raised concerning the avitar was a free down load from a site i use regularly.Hope this clears that up mate. Graham.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!