Boogaloo Investigator

Roburt

Boogaloo was (is) a mix of soul & latin music styles & it first developed in New York area clubs where local black teenagers mixed with the kids of Cuban & Puerto Rican immigrants around 1960. The early exponents of the music included Ray Barreto & Mongo Santamaria. Other Latin guys to make Boogaloo tracks were Willie Rosario, Joe Cuba, Ricardo Ray, Willie Colon, Pucho & Latin Soul Bros, TnT Band, Eddie Palmiera, Cal Tjader, Pete Rodriguez, Bobby Quesada and Johnny Colon.

In the mid 60's, soul artists started to get on the 'bandwagon' with the likes of Tom & Jerrio, Chubby Checker, Alvin Cash, Don Gardner & J J Jackson all cutting related tracks. Tom & Jerrio (cutting in Chicago for Eddie Thomas) hit first for ABC-Paramount with "Boo-Ga-Loo" in April 65. Chubby Checker had "Hey You Little Boogaloo" out in summer 1965 (he was always one to jump onto the back of a dance craze) but Parkway was failing and so the track didn't dent the national charts. Don Gardner started something with his "My Baby Likes to Boogaloo" in late 1966. Although it wasn't a big hit, it garnered covers by the likes of the Emperors in the US and King George in Sweden. Of Puerto Rican parents, musician Pete Terrace was a natural for Boogaloo style cuts & he even titled himself 'King of the Boogaloo'.

There weren't too many National hits by soul artists who cut Boogaloo themed songs. The Flamingos cut "Boogaloo Party" (Phillips) and this got them back into the chart in the spring of 1966s. Jerrio (this time solo) was back on the case with "Karate Boogaloo" in August 67. Johnny C (also out of Philly) hit very big with "Boogaloo Down Broadway" in September 67. . Others who cut Boogaloo themed tracks were), J J Jackson (summer 66), Roy Lee Johnson (late 66), Quovan (66)s, Chicago's Alvin Cash (late 66) and A. C. Reed, ), James Brown (Smash: March 66), Jackie Lee (68), Brenton Wood (67), Brothers Two, Exotics (67), Inclines, Diane & Carole, Bob Philips, Barry Jones (68), Timmy Thomas (Goldwax: 67).

Jazz guys were also quickly on the case. Lou Donaldson, Les McCann, Eddie Harris & John Patton all getting in on the act. Even pop artists such as Sandy Nelson & Paul Revere got involved. The music style spread outside of the US, with Puerto Rican, Mexican, Brazilian & even Jamaican (Toots & Maytals) musicians coming on board. Boogaloo Joe Jones came to prominence in the early 70's & stuck with that name throughout his successful career.

Pete Terrace does a Motown cover & Boogaloo's it up ..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZn6syBtlw

Any recommendations for Boogaloo style tracks that get your dancing feet moving ........

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Recently discovered to have been nicked from an unissued Motown backing track for the Contours..

So who wrote the music for the original version ??

& how did Jerry get his hands on a copy of the unreleased Motown backing track ?

.............. (guess Jerry wrote all the lyrics --????-- himself).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

So who wrote the music for the original version ??

& how did Jerry get his hands on a copy of the unreleased Motown backing track ?

.............. (guess Jerry wrote all the lyrics --????-- himself).

Dunno, Ady or Tony will know, it's called Do The See Saw (though actually it might be Boomerang not Boogaloo, though they both sound the same)

This link may work

https://www.acerecords.co.uk/songfiles/cdtop_350_02_0.m3u

Social source share

Guest jerrio

Boogaloo was (is) a mix of soul & latin music styles & it first developed in New York area clubs where local black teenagers mixed with the kids of Cuban & Puerto Rican immigrants around 1960. The early exponents of the music included Ray Barreto & Mongo Santamaria. Other Latin guys to make Boogaloo tracks were Willie Rosario, Joe Cuba, Ricardo Ray, Willie Colon, Pucho & Latin Soul Bros, TnT Band, Eddie Palmiera, Cal Tjader, Pete Rodriguez, Bobby Quesada and Johnny Colon.

In the mid 60's, soul artists started to get on the 'bandwagon' with the likes of Tom & Jerrio, Chubby Checker, Alvin Cash, Don Gardner & J J Jackson all cutting related tracks. Tom & Jerrio (cutting in Chicago for Eddie Thomas) hit first for ABC-Paramount with "Boo-Ga-Loo" in April 65. Chubby Checker had "Hey You Little Boogaloo" out in summer 1965 (he was always one to jump onto the back of a dance craze) but Parkway was failing and so the track didn't dent the national charts. Don Gardner started something with his "My Baby Likes to Boogaloo" in late 1966. Although it wasn't a big hit, it garnered covers by the likes of the Emperors in the US and King George in Sweden. Of Puerto Rican parents, musician Pete Terrace was a natural for Boogaloo style cuts & he even titled himself 'King of the Boogaloo'.

There weren't too many National hits by soul artists who cut Boogaloo themed songs. The Flamingos cut "Boogaloo Party" (Phillips) and this got them back into the chart in the spring of 1966s. Jerrio (this time solo) was back on the case with "Karate Boogaloo" in August 67. Johnny C (also out of Philly) hit very big with "Boogaloo Down Broadway" in September 67. Johnny C (also out of Philly) hit very big with "Boogaloo Down Broadway" in September 67. Others who cut Boogaloo themed tracks were), J J Jackson (summer 66), Roy Lee Johnson (late 66), Quovan (66)s, Chicago's Alvin Cash (late 66) and A. C. Reed, ), James Brown (Smash: March 66), Jackie Lee (68), Brenton Wood (67), Brothers Two, Exotics (67), Inclines, Diane & Carole, Bob Philips, Barry Jones (68), Timmy Thomas (Goldwax: 67).

Jazz guys were also quickly on the case. Lou Donaldson, Les McCann, Eddie Harris & John Patton all getting in on the act. Even pop artists such as Sandy Nelson & Paul Revere got involved. The music style spread outside of the US, with Puerto Rican, Mexican, Brazilian & even Jamaican (Toots & Maytals) musicians coming on board. Boogaloo Joe Jones came to prominence in the early 70's & stuck with that name throughout his successful career.

Pete Terrace does a Motown cover & Boogaloo's it up ..........

Any recommendations for Boogaloo style tracks that get your dancing feet moving ........

Lou Courtney.- What About Me And You Doin The Boogalloo on Riverside. and Timmy Thomas.- Have Some Boogalloo on Goldwax Great Boogaloo tunes.Wrighty.
Social source share

45's from a few Boogaloo artists were doing well in some cities at the end of 1966 .......

I guess it shouldn't be a suprise that Lou Courtney cut a Boogaloo track in 1967, after all he did use Gloria Toote's Town Sound Studios in Englewood, NJ around that time.

post-22122-0-90301900-1344367256_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The track that gave Boogaloo Joe Jones his 'music biz' name ........

He needed it, as there were quite a few Joe Jones in the US music biz (Philly Joe Jones, etc).

yeah, but where he went wrong was using his middle name Joe in the first place, if he'd stuck with Ivan he would have never had to use "Boogaloo". :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

used to love collecting these type of records years ago, anything by jerry o or similar, indeed anything with a beat whear the vocalist shouts such thing as "umgowa" heres a good one

and another

:wink:

was going to say this was possibly nicked from a motown track, then i saw who one of the writers was "umgowa"

Social source share

Anyone into the real Latin boogaloo sound, there's a great boogaloo inspired band from Brooklyn called Spanglish Fly that plays out here in NYC. They feature a fabulous young Latina singer. They have a couple of 45's out (one of which is a killer Latinized cover of James Brown's Think) and an EP that is CD only. Their records are good but their live shows are incredible! You will not be able to sit still during their set. Check out their web site here... https://www.spanglishfly.com/ Here's a professional video they cut of their 45 version of Think...

Edited by soulwaxusa
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Anyone into the real Latin boogaloo sound, there's a great boogaloo inspired band from Brooklyn called Spanglish Fly that plays out here in NYC. They feature a fabulous young Latina singer. They have a couple of 45's out (one of which is a killer Latinized cover of James Brown's Think) and an EP that is CD only. Their records are good but their live shows are incredible! You will not be able to sit still during their set. Check out their web site here... https://www.spanglishfly.com/ Here's a professional video they cut of their 45 version of Think...

wow love this,great stuff

Bazza

Social source share

used to love collecting these type of records years ago, anything by jerry o or similar, indeed anything with a beat whear the vocalist shouts such thing as "umgowa" heres a good one

and another

:wink:

was going to say this was possibly nicked from a motown track, then i saw who one of the writers was "umgowa"

wylie on the credits, that great sax, come on you lot explain, i,m a bit thick here, someone give me some history, also i think a few days ago was the first time id heard that record, :yes:

Social source share

Roburt, are you sure that boogaloo was invented in Latin music and then taken as a specific dance in R&B music? I always thought it was the reverse. What is an example of a latin boogaloo cut before 1965 (the tom and jerry-o record date)? For example, I searched and found Ray Barretto "midnight boogaloo" on United Artists, but it is from 1966. I think Chicago Soul says it's the reverse also. I think it was a specific R&B dance and then a Latin music style.

Also, btw, I think the most important Boogaloo artist by far was Joe Cuba, he really pushed the sound and is known or it. "bang bang" was even a hit in Chicago, but it was from 1967.

Social source share

Bob, as I wrote in Post 15 .... the actual origins of Boogaloo / Bugaloo is as clear as mud .... it started on the streets & so it took the media / record companies some time to tune into what was happening.... but I tend to go with the assertion that it sprung up first in the NY Latin community.

I obviously wasn't there though, so can't be sure of what came first, the Bugulu or the Boogaloo. It is written though that the earliest exponents of this music form included Ray Barreto & Mongo Santamaria who picked up on the beat popular with the 'kids on the street'. I don't believe that Bugulu was actually mentioned (as an actual word) on the earliest tracks.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

ok thanks, i guess it's clear as mud then, just all evidence has been wiped out.

i still think it was in r&b first, as proven via record titles. i also even gave an example of a latin cut that did not use the word in the title -- Joe Cuba's "bang bang" has to be one of the first and biggest boogaloo hits

Social source share

ok I just read the soul strut thread Kris posted. Although it still leaves it unclear, it gives much more evidence of it being an R&B thing first, including a quote from Joe Bataan saying so.

John you are wrong

Edited by boba
Social source share

random insider information -- there were actually two "Tom"s. Tommy Dark actually isn't on the original ABC record, this guy who runs (or at least ran) a photography studio on 87th street was. But he left and Tommy toured on the record and is on all the other records.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Shout certainly had faith in Jerry O's 'Boogaloo' track ........

.. & this paid off as his 45 was on the national US soul chart from September 67 till the end of the year.

just to clarify, this is "karate boogaloo" (total alvin cash ripoff btw), not the original boogaloo 45 that came out on abc

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This will not be to everyone's taste ......

....... BUT ..... The Sugarman 3's new album ('What The World Needs Now') contains a great hammond organ instrumental -- "Witches Boogaloo".

There's also a good instro cover of J J Jackson's "But Its Alright" & a (part) vocal take on "What The World Needs Now".

... ALSO ... there's a free download track available off the LP -- "Rudy's Intervention" which I like a lot (more hammond instro magic) .... what's not to like when its free !!

They may be a modern group (saw em in Bristol live 10+ years back & they were great) BUT they do have that authentic retro sound if you're into 60's style organ / brass led funky instrumentals.

Another tune that they put out back in 1998 was "Sugar's Boogaloo" -- guess Neil likes him some Boogaloo !!!!

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Should have asked this earlier ................

The Flamingoes "Boogaloo Party" was written / recorded less than a year after the first song was cut that included 'Boogaloo' in its title.

So it was one of the early Boogaloo hits (it made the US national charts in March 66, returning the group to hit status for the 1st time in almost 6 years).

But the actual song is credited as being written by 2 members of the group (who probably got their credit for agreeing to cut the song & making minor changes to it during the recording session) and Miami's Willie Clarke.

Willie seemed a long way from 'Boogaloos' home turf (New York or Chicago depending on whichever story you believe about the genre's origins) and a long way from where the Flamingoes based themselves.

Anyone know the story behind the song's composition or how Willie got it to the Flamingoes ??

........ I'd guess they were down in Miami undertaking some gigs there & Willie met up with them.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!