Your fave 60's POP record

Dayo

Don't mean to hijack the current thread on discs that make you smile, but so many mentioned great pop songs; so I thought it might make an interesting topic.

What's your fave non soul 60's record? Or some of your faves? And why?

I've got so many, but here are three that always give me a tingle:

1. Alone again or - Love

Just astonishing in every respect; the words, the chords, the awesome instrumental break, brilliant guitars throughout.

2. Classical Gas - Mason Williams

Bit obvious this one, since the beat so so close to classic Northern; what a stunning arrangement, and to get that massive orchestra playing with such verve and energy! Inspired Mike Post more than a tad I think

3. Rock n Roll Woman - Buffalo Springfield

Discovered this on an old Atlantic sampler (Flying High) around 1971. I'd bought it for the soul tracks, but there were a couple of rock/pop thing on there too, including this high energy rocker. Dark, dark vocals from Steve Stills (?)Awesome guitar and Hammond organ. I'm amazed this hasn't been covered to death by indie bands.

Aw, that's just three, but there are so many more. Everything the Fab Four did for a start!

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I couldnt live without your love, Petula Clark.......very nearly Northern but a mileaway in reality

Love some of that Pet Clark stuff, so I totally agree. Tony Hatch was a genius at arrangement, and Downtown might be another contender for best pop/non northern but almost!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

"Windmills of your mind" Noel Harrison, from the soundrack to "The Thomas Crown Affair"

Enigmatic lyrics and production, very atmospheric! Also love the version by Swing out Sister, who's "You on my mind" produced by Jim Webb, must be my all time fave pop record of any era, brilliant!

Social source share

tough one this but it's gotta be Beatles tunes and a toss up between She's Leaving Home, She's A Woman and The Taxman. All three completely different but among the few pop tunes I'd actually put on a non-soul compilation for the car. That's probably the benchmark really; what would you stick on a comp tape for either yourself or a mate?I'm quite partial to The Who's I Can't Explain which is nice reminder of my Mod days.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Pretty Flamingo. Absolutely love it.

And (allegedly) when I'm concentrating for a while I whistle Tequilla.

Now get that tune out of your head

he he he he

Social source share

Sorry to keep gushing about other people choices, but that Who track is a monster. Love the guitar lick and the obvious references to pep pills.

Incidentally, on the subject of the Who, wife and I were in Brighton at the weekend and a friend showed us THE actual alley from Quadraphenia! He even offered to keep watch if we wanted to recraete that classic scene, but the normally open minded Mrs. Dayo sadly declined :-(

Social source share

Speaking of the venerable mister Weller, Billy, Moon On Your Pyjamas would also make it onto my comp tape. It's off Wild Wood and he wrote it for his kids. Lovely tune.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

BEACH BOYS-CALIFORNIAN GIRLS.

YOUNG RASCALS-GROVIN'.

LOVIN' SPOONFUL-YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO BE SO NICE.

GREAT MEMORIES OF STEVENAGE IN THE 60s.

Social source share

Apart from Alone Again Or which has to be one of the greatest Pop records ever made, I'd go for things like

White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane (Grace Slicks voice is just magic)

Do you believe in Magic - Lovin Spoonful

Dont Worry Baby - The Beach Boys

and many others which I could fill this whole email system up with

Social source share

When i said White Horses i actually meant it.....have only recently removed it from my main Box, quite a moving moment, didn't really wanna do it, but i felt like it didn't belong anymore, jesus i am now feeling a deep seated remorse, that undoubtedly will turn to anger, then i'll get a case of the soaking sweats and probably destroy the ************ thing.............Wife has just calmed me with an injection of pure "ether"...will edit all foul and relevent details, i know we have younger members.........well people under 40!

Social source share

Tony Christie 'Amarillo'

Is this the way to Amarillo

every night I've been hugging my pillow

dreaming dreams of Amarillo and sweet Marie who waits for me

show me the way to Amarillo

I've been weeping like a willow

crying over Amarillo

and sweet Marie who waits for me

Sha la la lala lalala, Sha la la lala lalala

Sha la la lala lalala, and Marie who waits for me!

What a voice!

Rumour has it that the Sheffield legend had 3 throats!

Shane

Social source share

Tony Christie 'Amarillo'

Is this the way to Amarillo

every night I've been hugging my pillow

dreaming dreams of Amarillo and sweet Marie who waits for me

show me the way to Amarillo

I've been weeping like a willow

crying over Amarillo

and sweet Marie who waits for me

Sha la la lala lalala, Sha la la lala lalala 

Sha la la lala lalala, and Marie who waits for me!

What a voice!

Rumour has it that the Sheffield legend had 3 throats!

Shane

surely you prefer it by paddy and max though shane !!! lol.

Social source share

yes they do a good one for defo! Max & Paddy return to our screens soon.

Remember Peter Kay is a fan of Northern Soul/Motown. He has said in interviews that he wanted to develop the idea of the character Potter being a regular on the soul scene in the 70's/80's but didnt in the end. Plenty of soul references though in Phoenix nights and apparently Potter's Motown mug was purchased from Tim Brown's place in Manchester, Beatin Rhythm

Sorry bit off topic here :-)

Shane

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Fave 60s pop? My top 3..

Free Design "kites are fun"

Lovin' Spoonful "do you believe in magic"

Association "never my love"

And bubbling under..

Since i always get slagged regarding some ns tunes i guess i would say my favourite "pop" being Bob & Fred, Vondells, Athens Rogue, Nomads and all the other "blue eyed" records i like ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

Impossible to do an all time list as it changes, just so many great pop records, so many memories. Just a few in no particular order.

The Turtles - Happy Together (reminds me of the first holiday with my girlfriend (now wife)

April Stevens & Nino Tempo - All Strung Out

Righteous Bros - Soul & Inspiration

Beatles - If I Fell, And I Love Her, Happy Just To Dance With You

Association - Cherish

Buffalo Springfield - Rock 'N' Roll Woman, Expecting To Fly

Laura Nyro - Wedding Bell Blues

Union Gap - Woman Woman

Richard Harris - McArthur Park, Didn't We

Fifth Dimension - Worst That Could Happen

Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe In Magic, You Didn't Have To Be So Nice

Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby, All Summer Long, Wendy

Sorry there are so many, but it was a great decade for pop music as well as soul.

These come to mind as I sit here, but no doubt could think of loads more if I put my mind to it.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Holy Are You - Electric Prunes

NSU - Cream

96 Tears - ? and the Mysterians

Heroes and Villans - Beach Boys

the Beach Boys could be the winner here, eh?

"holy are you"!!!! Nice one... Axelrod masterpiece...

Geoff i agree, really hard to do a best of list from THE decade of pop music.. Association, Beach Boys, Tim Hardin, Enoch Light, Roger Nichols, Lovin Spoonful (john Seb.) , Brill Building (Carole K. Burt B. e.tc. e.tc.)

As i said, kind of hard..

best

Leo

Social source share

I hope no one minds but I was taking my usual lunchtime stroll and more came into my mind. Most from schooldays.

Roy Orbison - Crying, Running Scared, Only The Lonely

Lettermen - The Way You Look Tonight, How Is Julie

Ray Peterson - I Could Have Loved You So Well, Tell Laura I Love Her

Gene Pitney - True Love Never Runs Smooth, I'm Gonna Be Strong, I Must Be Seeing Things

Classics IV - Traces, Stormy

Jay & The Americans - Come A Little Bit Closer, Sunday And Me, She Cried (and of course Living Above My Head, but that's Northern I believe)

Lou Christie - If My Car Could Talk

Plus some real wimpy stuff I am too embarrassed to list.

In my case I love 60s pop possibly because I was a teenager, and therefore the records have a particular meaning in many cases. Would be the same for people in the 70s, etc. Notwithstanding I reckon it was the best decade for music overall.

Social source share

Classics 1V - Stormy (Imperial), this isn't a pop record but a brilliant soul track as is every other version.........Flo Ballard, O.C. Smith........Lieutenent Pigeon (Seville demo)

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Aaaaargh where to start?

Small Faces - Tin soldier/All or nothing/Afterglow/Runaway/Whatsa Matter Baby/Don't burst my bubble - okay I love the SFs:-)

Kinks - Waterloo sunset

Troggs - Can't control myself

Gerry & The Pacemakers - You'll never walk alone

Them/Shadows of Knight - Gloria

Beatles - Paperback writer

Sam Cooke - Wonderful world

Searchers - Needles & Pins

Ali

Social source share

OK, don't laugh at this one!

Heard David Essex on Radio 2 a few weeks ago and they played a 1967 track by him called 'So called love' and it was fekkin awesome. Oh so very nearly Northern Soul!! Almost worthy of a cover up spin somewhere!!

During the interview he mentioned that he did a couple of tracks produced by J J Jackson in the late sixties so I presume this was one of them?

Definately worth a hunt round your junk shops/car boots for this one.

Social source share

MAMAS & PAPAS - CREQUE ALLEY.........BRILL R&B

PAPER DOLLS -SOMETHING HERE IN MY HEART.........TEENIE POP

PAUL & BARRY RYAN - ELOISE........BEAUTIFUL POP BALLAD

DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - IF IT DONT WORK OUT.

(LP TRACK FROM... EVERYTHINGS COMING UP DUSTY)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!