News: The Twisted Wheel Campaign.

I think the biggest problem will be to find a (safe & weatherproof) place to store all the bricks, wood & fixtures for an unspecified period of time.

Guess what is recovered will take up quite a large area.

Not a great area in volume would be taken up as the space that the walls, floor and stage encapsulate is fresh air.A holding area has already been sorted out.

Atb Irish

Social source share

Anybody approached the Peoples Museum in manchester?

The Peoples Museum would not be a suitable place as part of a club dose not meet the criteria required for the Peoples Museum.

The Development officer for Museums and Library's has been contacted along with the Director of Museums and Library's. We are awaiting a response

to our inquiry.

Atb Irish

Social source share

Just for the record Liverpool takes around £250 million a year in tourism based around the reconstructed cavern club. If only 1% of this was achieved in tourism to a Modern music museum in Manchester, where nearly two hundred bands and singers of recognition some of which world recognition have originated from this would surely pay for its self with plenty to reinvest for the future.

Atb Irish

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Long live The Twisted Wheel....Through "going to a gogo" @ "Moho`s"...I know its not going to be the same for everyone but,not much choice unfortunately...!!!..So lets celebrate the good times and,move forward with friends old and,new :-)

agree with you entirely and i think the moho live is the nearest thing we will get to the wheel and it will become massive :thumbsup:
Social source share

l just hope it doesn't all go pear-shaped with the wheel's future

home, so much history exists in that building relating to SOUL,

and so many people's lives have been changed forever.

Good luck and keep it safe. Tony Warot.

If you read this thread you will realise that it's not gone pear shaped for the wheel this time next year it will sadly be GONE the currant lease runs out in December

The campaign at the moment whilst still working to keeping the wheel st whitworth street is now focusing on saving the fixtures and fittings of the Origanal stage room so it can be reconstructed elsewhere

Again big thanks to all those people who have put so much effort into this cause

Ktf spike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spike, I certainly hope that nothing goes wrong with the plans to save the fabric of the Wheel, but there are still chances that things will 'go pear-shaped'.

You only have to check out past reclamation projects to see that some fail because of stupid acts by someone around at the time who didn't give a toss.

The Greek styled columns that stood outside the old Euston Stn were 'saved' for posterity. They went off for 'safe storage' and were never seen again.

A number of significant old steam locos were 'laid aside' for preservation, only for a shed foreman who didn't care a jot to include some of those 'reserved' for museums to be coupled up to engines being sent to scrap yards.

Old stately homes destined for restoration have mysteriously 'fallen down' at the last minute & a whole housing estate has eventually replaced them on the grounds.

So, until the Wheel bits are actually reassembled somewhere (hopefully close to central Manc), there is still a chance that some 'jobs-worth' will say .... clear all that old rubble from that area over there & take it to the tip; we've got some stuff coming tomorrow that will have to be stored there..

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

agree with you entirely and i think the moho live is the nearest thing we will get to the wheel and it will become massive :thumbsup:

.....Hey Mick,have you seen the pics of us all...!!!...When we went in "Wetherspoons "after "Moho`s"....They are great haha...Your face is a picture re:-Bobsleigh team haha :-)
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

.....Hey Mick,have you seen the pics of us all...!!!...When we went in "Wetherspoons "after "Moho`s"....They are great haha...Your face is a picture re:-Bobsleigh team haha :-)

yes i have seen them= i was a bit worse for wear after the loooooooooooooong weekend i had lol
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

If you read this thread you will realise that it's not gone pear shaped for the wheel this time next year it will sadly be GONE the currant lease runs out in December

The campaign at the moment whilst still working to keeping the wheel st whitworth street is now focusing on saving the fixtures and fittings of the Origanal stage room so it can be reconstructed elsewhere

Again big thanks to all those people who have put so much effort into this cause

Ktf spike

hear hear
Social source share

Just for the record Liverpool takes around £250 million a year in tourism based around the reconstructed cavern club. If only 1% of this was achieved in tourism to a Modern music museum in Manchester, where nearly two hundred bands and singers of recognition some of which world recognition have originated from this would surely pay for its self with plenty to reinvest for the future.

Atb Irish

I understand that the plans for the redevelopment of London Road Fire Station have fallen through and may be now subject to a compulsory purchase order. This would be the ideal location for such a museum within any redvelopment, Whitworth Street being bookended by 2 iconic clubs, The Twisted Wheel and the Hacienda, and various other venues in between over the years.

It could overcome the problems that Urbis had by building a permanent collection and perhaps including some sort of live venue. There is now a window of oportunity to acquire artefacts and stories from the musicians,club owners , promoters and fans of the past 50 years whilst they are still with us..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!