Rob Moss

• Replies 108
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just received a call from Mike Terry announcing that the immortal Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie passed away today. I'm sure everyone will share the sadness of his passing. He was one of the 'special' talents of the 60s Detroit soul era as writer, producer and artist and will be sorely missed. R.I.P.

====

gee - thats sad - one of the detroit GREATS...RIP ....very sad news indeed! :)

Social source share

Just received a call from Mike Terry announcing that the immortal Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie passed away today. I'm sure everyone will share the sadness of his passing. He was one of the 'special' talents of the 60s Detroit soul era as writer, producer and artist and will be sorely missed. R.I.P.

GOT A VOICE MAIL TO CALL FAB HOPE THIS WAS NOT THE BAD NEWS , OH NO POPCORN WAS A LEGEND RIP IN POPCORN YOUR MUSIC WILL LIVE ON !

Social source share

I am shocked. Last spoke to Richard after Dave Thorley had warned me that Richard was not as on top of things as he used to be; Dave was right but Richard was as nice as ever.

Richard was a true kind gentleman - after staying at my house (he loved going out to a wine bar in Burntwood and sampling somewhat enthusiastically what what was on offer one lunchtime) he always took the trouble to send a Christmas card every year and his first question would always be "how are the kids?"

And he was fantastically friendly and hospitable at his home in Detroit where he loved to get the wine out and talk about the old days.On one trip over there he took me around to meet Casablanca - the legendary one time Golden Word/Ric-Tic promotion man - and to hear swap stories about the sixties days was jaw dropping.Richard was a beautiful a person as his music was amazing. He had a fall out with Motown in their early days, otherwise he would have been one of their top producers.

And he loved the UK scene - does anyone remember him DJ'ing playing his own productionsat a club in Nuneaton (?) where we had a party to promote the release of his "Detroit-A-Go-Go" album on Inferno?I have got the photos somewhere.

God bless you Richard and rest in peace.

Social source share

I am shocked. Last spoke to Richard after Dave Thorley had warned me that Richard was not as on top of things as he used to be; Dave was right but Richard was as nice as ever.

Richard was a true kind gentleman - after staying at my house (he loved going out to a wine bar in Burntwood and sampling somewhat enthusiastically what what was on offer one lunchtime) he always took the trouble to send a Christmas card every year and his first question would always be "how are the kids?"

And he was fantastically friendly and hospitable at his home in Detroit where he loved to get the wine out and talk about the old days.On one trip over there he took me around to meet Casablanca - the legendary one time Golden Word/Ric-Tic promotion man - and to hear swap stories about the sixties days was jaw dropping.Richard was a beautiful a person as his music was amazing. He had a fall out with Motown in their early days, otherwise he would have been one of their top producers.

And he loved the UK scene - does anyone remember him DJ'ing playing his own productionsat a club in Nuneaton (?) where we had a party to promote the release of his "Detroit-A-Go-Go" album on Inferno?I have got the photos somewhere.

God bless you Richard and rest in peace.

EXTREMLEY SAD NEWS!! ANOTHER ALL TIME GREAT LOST TO US!! R.I.P. DEAR SIR!

MAX..

Social source share

There aren't many who wear the mantle of 'legend' with true distinction. Van McCoy, Curtis Mayfield and Fred Smith come to mind. Now to be joined by Mr Wylie. Motown's loss was our gain and, as usual on these occasions I will celebrate his work and enjoy the musical legacy he left us, which, to my mind, ranks with up there with the his three illustrious peers. A true icon of Detroit soul. A safe journey Mr Wylie... and congratulations Sir, on a job extremely well done.

Social source share

What a terrible shame. I grew up on 'Washed Ashore', 'With This Ring', 'Going To A Happening', 'Ain't Love Good, Ain't Love Proud' and 'I Spy For The FBI' and that was before Northern Soul had even been invented! His first Northern "discoveries" probably fueled the movement for its first formative years and they just kept coming; all the way through to Margaret Little. An incredible talent and a wonderful person. This is a colossal loss.

Social source share

I've spoken to Mike Terry on various occasions about interviewing and/or meeting the great man in person, but sadly, this never materialized. I'm deeply regretting this now and it goes without saying that he's a major loss to the music World in general, not just NS. I echo Dave's sentiments that we've got a duty to fulfill to celebrate his life's work. Just sad that it will be done posthumously.

-Jas

Social source share

RIP Mr Wylie : thankyou for your contribution Sir .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

just opened my emails this morning and got a message from mckinley telling me about it.

this is so, so sad. i loved this man. not only for his music, he was a mighty fine person, i never ever left detroit without giving him a hug.

M.

post-3484-1220855687.jpg

Edited by malayka
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

HE WAS SURELY ...THE MAN........YOU WOULD LOSE COUNT OF THE GREAT TUNES WITH HIS NAME ON THE CREDITS. WHAT A GREAT CREDIT HE WAS TO BLACK MUSIC,TO DETROIT AND TO BLACK AMERICANS BECAUSE HIS MUSIC DID CROSS THE RACIAL DIVIDE JUST BECAUSE IT WAS GOOD AND WE LOVED IT...... REST IN PEACE

Social source share

Such a great loss, really sad. Had the pleasure of seeing him a few times and being in his company a few times as well thanks to Gilly, never will forget the day he spent with us in the chalet in Yarmouth.

The words great and legend are used all too often these days for little reason but Popcorn fully deserved both.

post-225-1220862801.gif

post-225-1220951642_thumb.jpg

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

I remember when i started collecting Detroit records (big time!!) in about 1977---i just couldn,t believe how many records the names--Wylie,Hestor,Terry kept cropping up on so many different labels.A night to remember when i saw him in Darlington about 25 yrs. ago.

They,ve got some band up there in Soul Heaven!!!!!

Play some tonite in my record room

R.I.P.Popcorn

Best

Tony Coleby

Social source share

Reading these post marks out several things. One, what an important figure he was to the UK soul scene over so many years. Secondly, that he was such a nice guy, personnally know to many and that he touched so many people as a person. Lastly, how the world has shrunk, in many ways our scene and the people that made the music have become one. News, good or bad travels around the world in a matter of hours.

He loved the UK soul scene, would always ask about many people in the UK and tell me to send on his reguards to them, every time we spoke. In reverse I would often be asked by people here to take something over for him or get a record signed. Last time I traveled there, Gilly asked if I would take over a bottle of his favorite hooch for him, this just made Richard's week. We spoke about the UK, he knew then he would never be well enough to return, but still longed to be back here to see old friends and entertain the people that kept his music alive. His happy smiling face was always a joy to see and his hospitality fantastic, "have a look in that cupboard dave, I think there maybe some records there", "Go have a look in the basement and see what you can find". There are so many stories to tell about this man, but here is just one he told me.

When John Anderson, first went round his house and pulled out a bunch of records, richard said "How much are you going to give me for them". When John told him that he would give him $$$$, richard said "Your kidding, right. I've been giving them to my kids so they can play frisbee out in the streets with them"

So although many have written about the joy he gave to them here, for this man at least the thanks was returned. Keep on putting up your comments and thoughts and I will let the family see them.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

My thoughts go out to his familly and friends.

His music has added joy to my life i am saddened by his passing.

I hope his familly and friends can take comfort from the tremendous respect and affection that was felt for him within the all-nighter fraternitty.

I know he made better records but every time i put "Rosemary what happened" on i smile.

Rest in peace big man.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What a rotten week for Detroit soul fans - Norman Whitfield and now Popcorn in the space of seven days. How depressing...

...but at least neither died unmourned or unappreciated. May God bless them both in their onward journeys....

Social source share

Growing up as a youth and getting into soul music, I didn't know that I was already falling in love with this man's music.Only later after collecting records and realising how many the name Richard Popcorn Wylie appeared on. either writing or production credits, did I come to realise what a phenomenal talent this man was! Truly one of the greatest writing talents along with Tony Hester the Detroit soul scene ever produced. Much respect and gratitude to the man, and sincere condolences to Popcorn's family.

For me, perhaps one of the best tracks from the Wylie Hester partnership has to be "(I'll Be Your Champion) I'll Be Your Winner"

Take a bow in Heaven Mr Wylie, when it comes to class soul, you are a Champion, and most defiantly a Winner!

steve

Social source share

A real sad week as said previously.

Rosemary must be one of the most famous tunes (Wigan?) ever on this scene, especially for the old style dancers with the spins and backdrops etc.

Maybe a 'best of' albumn could be put together to fund a suitable memeorial and also help his family.

What a talent he had to make soul and dance music. Just glad he knew how much esteem he was held in on this side of the pond.

Ed

Social source share

Unbelievably gutted to hear this news Rob , one of the true giants of Soul music , he has contributed to the musical soundtrack of our lives in so many ways , it's seems incredibly sad that he has passed .R.I.P Richard , you'll never be forgotten .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

very sad news about richard, went over to see him in detroit back in 96,he was ill then but the family made us very welcome,he sold us some records and made sure me, our robert and chris king had plenty to eat and took us up to clay mcmurrays studio on livernou with ivy joe hunter . i can only send my deepest smpathys to his wife and children , a true legend , a true gent and a wonderful host to anyone who met him on there travels , im sure he will be sadly missed by many rest in peace richard kev thomas

Social source share

Wow.

A true gent and an enormous talent.

Saw him many times, but his performance at Manchester International in the late eighties was just incredible.

So very, very sad.

yep, great night that was Joan. The photo I posted earlier was him at Dunstable the same trip. You can see Mark Bicknell sat in the wings :yes: I've another of Snake Davis from same show. Not su8re oif you ever did me a copy of that recording :thumbup: I'll have a look and a listen if you did.

Social source share

yep, great night that was Joan. The photo I posted earlier was him at Dunstable the same trip. You can see Mark Bicknell sat in the wings :yes: I've another of Snake Davis from same show. Not su8re oif you ever did me a copy of that recording :thumbup: I'll have a look and a listen if you did.

Will do you another copy Chalky no probs if you can't find it.

Without doubt one of the best show's I have ever seen.

Just great the way he talks about every record, when he recorded it, who he wrote it for etc.

Also talks about Tony Hester, says how much he misses him.

Just fab!

Social source share

one of the 'special' talents of the 60s Detroit soul era as writer, producer and artist

Sad News Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie RIP

Sad news passed on via the forum by Rob Moss

Just received a call from Mike Terry announcing that the immortal Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie passed away today. I'm sure everyone will share the sadness of his passing. He was one of the 'special' talents of the...

Click to view this soul article info in full

Social source share

Guest ktf mal

Sad News Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie passed away today

This guy had everything

Just loved

How did i lose you

I take the world on with you & others

What a voice. He will be sadly missed.

Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie RIP

mal ktf

Social source share

This is very, very sad news indeed.

My deepest sympathy to his wife & family.

Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie was really an iconic figure.

As an impressionable fifteen year old I considered it

a sacred duty to memorise the record titles, labels, production/writing

credits of his wonderful creations.

& who among us can really say they're weren't absolutely floored the first time they heard Tommy Neal or Jimmy Soul Clark,

and that's just two titles.

I think a Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie Anthology is a marvellous idea.

Could it be done Ady & Paul?

Que descanses en paz Richard, te queremos mucho...

M

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!