Insp. George Gently Does Ns

Steve G

Don Ray for ten bob!!.....she should have snapped his hand offI was thinking the very same...........trying my best to listen to Levi`s vocals and figure out the track. :g:

and me what is the tops track,!!! Edited by de-to
Social source share

I'm reading this in my lunch break and I can't believe that all these people have the time (or the inclination) to analyse a bit of fiction. Would any other group of people start nit-picking about a tv programme FFS. Get a life!!

BTW - did I imagine it or did I see a pye disco demand sleeve in the prog?

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

i've taped it from last nite, oh to see kegsy again in nylons :wicked:

you still got vhs then mr tosspot? tight wad lol

ps perv............lol

Edited by mickeyfish58
Social source share

Guest Mr messyhead

It was The Four Tops - Sweet Was The Love but don't know much about it - always thought it was unissued ?

Also the dead girls copy of Frank Wilson on SOUL - so is that where he got his copy from - he bumped off the girl for "Do I LOVE..." - It was all a conspiracy to get the rare vinyl - IT WAS A COVER UP !!

Social source share

Factually wrong but who cares? Light entertainment with some good tunes thrown in.

I'd like to know what that Tops tune was too, sounded a belter.

And if the lead plod was in the Professionals why didn't they give "That's Why I Love You" a spin?

cos bodie & doyle have split up :facepalm:

Social source share

Just watched it and I really enjoyed it. There are bits n bobs not right but jesus if you would always watch any film regarding a certain place, time or subject matter on the complete truth and merits of absolute accuracy of it, you could pick holes in every film. I bet the mafia were laughing their hat off at godfathers but I guess most of you would still regard it as a good film. Anyway, a good little drama not up for any awards but still very enjoyable to watch!!! :hatsoff2:

Well said that man!! :yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

It was The Four Tops - Sweet Was The Love but don't know much about it - always thought it was unissued ?Also the dead girls copy of Frank Wilson on SOUL - so is that where he got his copy from - he bumped off the girl for "Do I LOVE..." - It was all a conspiracy to get the rare vinyl - IT WAS A COVER UP !!
...Not a cover-up!.....a boot-leg :lol:

And thanx for this.......

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Would any other group of people start nit-picking about a tv programme FFS. Get a life!!

Lots I'd imagine.....

I would think there are (as we speak) several classic car forums debating wether the cars in this prog were the correct colour, trim level or model for that year.......

Believe me, Soul source has NO monopoly on anoraks.

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Lots I'd imagine.....

I would think there are (as we speak) several classic car forums debating wether the cars in this prog were the correct colour, trim level or model for that year.......

So true!.....As for the cars, I wouldn't have thought the rozzers would drive around in motors that were approaching 10 years old :g: It was 1968 and they were still in pre-letter police cars :sleep3:

See, im nit-picking now :ohmy:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I'm reading this in my lunch break and I can't believe that all these people have the time (or the inclination) to analyse a bit of fiction. Would any other group of people start nit-picking about a tv programme FFS. Get a life!!

BTW - did I imagine it or did I see a pye disco demand sleeve in the prog?

I wouldn't say folk are analysing it too much, or nit picking. If you look back, the majority of the people on the thread enjoyed it for what it was. There is only a handful who were bored shxt less, & thought it was bollox (their words, not mine) or a waste of their life. The recent posts are people being jovial, which I'm finding funny on this wet miserable bank holiday.

All the best

Ali

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Lots I'd imagine.....

:lol: :lol: I can't stop laughing at this post

Brilliant !!! x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

definitely a boring sunday in every sense of the word....except for this, because if you watched & liked it or not......IT GOT PEOPLE'S ATTENTION, DIDNT IT?....yes, it was a detective series that unless you're anorak for that type of thing, you wouldnt entertain, probably chosing a film or some documentary instead....but BECAUSE it had those magical little words "NORTHERN SOUL" attached to its plot....it was a case of..OOOH,...WHATS THIS THEN?.....be honest with yourselves.....you couldnt,...could you?......you just had to have a sneaky look. of course from the perspective of accuracy it was flawed.....BUT WHO'S BOTHERED??...ITS A TV DRAMA SET IN THE 60'S...it just so happened that this episode was written with the idea of a dancehall that just so happened to cater for a 60's soul clientel, as a backdrop for a murder case entangled in racism. i suggest its necessary to let your imagination run wild where the "northern soul" element is interpretated...just pretend fw is just another record, the same as everything else, same goes for the clothes, dance moves, record prices etc...its artistic license from our standpoint as well....yes?.

i happen to like watching this series, because its set in the north, but moreso because its plots are significantly more convincing than t'other copper drama on itv...and i loved the fact that the program didnt send us up because the "soul" wasnt the centrefugal point of the storyline. the producers of this drama have to keep dreaming up interesting & realistic storylines ( and it is an original idea to use a sensible music style ) for it to have such successful viewing figures......and,....think on it.......last night's would have attracted considerably more than normal...am i right?.

Spot on!! On the flipside, it probably lost a few million as well, as I'm sure some old biddies (even older than us lot!) turned off when that dreadful music came on :D

Social source share

Enjoyed it last night for what it was, little bit of northern big deal, nice to see little sammy about not in full swing but he was there, when ever a bit of northern comes on tv everyone has a postmorton on it lol, footsies on the early 70's when everyone jumped on the band wagon, well not everyone, now its the FW, which wasnt discoved in the 60's, they needed a producer who knew can show 'em the light, anyway enjoy 7 out of 10 cheers billy

Social source share

So true!.....As for the cars, I wouldn't have thought the rozzers would drive around in motors that were approaching 10 years old :g: It was 1968 and they were still in pre-letter police cars :sleep3:

See, im nit-picking now :ohmy:

ROZZERS......THAT, MY FRIEND, IS A WORD I ABSOLUTELY ADORE! :thumbup: "ST TRINIAN'S GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - FRANKIE HOWARD"....THE WORD OF THE WEEK!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Lots I'd imagine.....

maybe not, but i bet we have got a fair few members that have extra anoraks to sell
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Spot on!! On the flipside, it probably lost a few million as well, as I'm sure some old biddies (even older than us lot!) turned off when that dreadful music came on :D

was the music not modern enough for you ali? or maybe overplayed oldies? pmsl ps aunty sheila drove me to notts niter last nightx
Social source share

Guest Mr messyhead

I meant the murder was a "cover up" (play on words) for how Frank Wilson" DO I...." came to be discovered - she was really bumped off for her rare vinyl collect and made to look like a "HIT AND RUN " (wasn't that the contours ??) a bit like the DIANA, JFK thing but a lot more serious - for Soul Music Instead ? There's more to this Gently story than meets the eye I reckon, you just need to probe a bit deeper.

I apologise for the drivel - was the 4 Tops tune a boot right enough?

Social source share

was the music not modern enough for you ali? or maybe overplayed oldies? pmsl ps aunty sheila drove me to notts niter last nightx

:lol: I'm referring to the even older biddies calling it dreadful music, not me. I thought it was FAB, honest ! For a Sunday night, it was excellent viewing for me.

PS Hope you both looked after each other :thumbsup: x

Social source share

Aye, regardless of it featuring the music, the acting was rancid and contained no drama or humour. Total flatline imo

What do you lot sound like?????

:yes::lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

thought so, well spotted bro, and....the mighty crossover track that richard raves about, "clip my wings"...how good is levi on that? :thumbsup:

can't fault it ,levi could sing the yellow pages and make it sound good ,back on topic the show wasn't that bad ,where did marvin gaye / lets get it on come from though.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The lass was ran over and that...what sort of defectives are they...should have spoke to the local toms and what not...their crap investigation led to a race attack, a murder, crim damage,loaded guns being fired...and that.One good thing was the racists destroying a few boots.....and he gets promoted to CI5....and what not

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

RE: The lass was ran over and that...what sort of defectives are they

If you'd actually paid attention ........ you may have picked up on the fact that her head was stove in when hit by a vehicle's wing mirror.

In what universe does that equate to being 'run over' ??

Social source share

If you'd actually paid attention ........ you may have picked up on the fact that her head was stove in when hit by a vehicle's wing mirror.

Thats a bit picky, I'd have used the same expression!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

can't fault it ,levi could sing the yellow pages and make it sound good ,back on topic the show wasn't that bad ,where did marvin gaye / lets get it on come from though.

or dobie gray for that matter, 70's releases, quality soul mind...maybe they were they had played all the others and these were the last two in the 50 box? :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Her head was not stoved in (stoving is usually caused by a hammer/similar object and not a glancing blow)....she has received injuries to the right hand side of her face which is conducive to the van being driven with the prostitute in the passenger seat and the left wing mirror hitting her.There are still questions as to why there are no mud marks/dirt on her clothing or signs of tears/rips in clothing as the prostitute describes the area as waste ground and describes the body being dragged/moved.The body is found quite far from the road as can be seen.This is still an open case unles Freddie Patel puts it down to natural causes..but George should be concentrating with the Soul Police on the large bootlegging problem the club has.

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

:lol:Just like to say George has re-written the History books for us, :lol:

However I was deeply disturbed by some of the genuine archive footage and the way Enoch Powell's speech was taken up by the far right wing, all in all I enjoyed it and clocking a FEW FACES I knew as well .. next George does the Funk scene ?

Rob x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!