Insp. George Gently Does Ns

Steve G

Myself i think it turned out way better than i feared ( dance floor action )mainly because of the very narrow angles and fast movement by the camera,you wouldn't believe the filming takes for say the opening door scenes alone,nine i think it was.....the continuity were sticklers and yet they wasted their time,Both Sammy and myself had to carry record boxes in and yet you never saw them !

I was the one trying to smuggle a bottle of newcastle brown ale in and i had to have a wallet with old fivers,pound and ten bob notes and paid the lass on the desk....again you didn't glimpse any of it , lots more filmed parts were never used.

The dance floor scenes the Olympics were playing when it was actually Patti and the Emblems playing in those scenes and vice versa......Sammy and me sat down when we got into the club and while they set up etc i said to Sammy lets get the box's open there maybe some good tunes in there for us !!!! they were full of 45's........Cilla Black , Val Hooligan , Billy J Kramer , Frank Ifield etc etc ......needless to say we didn't keep any so don't bother asking if i'll sell you Paddy Mcginty's goat as i haven't got one..........honest !

One BBC lass between takes was responsible for setting a smoke machine away and then tucking behind a door out of the way,i couldn't see any smoke on the program,some of the cast had imitation cigarettes with smoke and again i didn't see any on screen,so i applaud the work that goes into these programs and the behind the scenes crew work bloody hard and get no recognition.

Funniest part for me was filming the part where the lass sees the DJ on the balcony with her mate and runs out,the camera and sound man had to follow alongside her and folk who saw them heading toward them had to ensure they left them a track through the dance floor..........well a lad from Tyneside who attends That Beatin Rhythm was just coming up from a backdrop and the sound man tripped over him and went down ontop of him,he was a big bloke all your saw were his arms and feet under this hulk..... he was crushed !!

Edited by JOEfromupnorth
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Myself i think it turned out way better than i feared ( dance floor action )mainly because of the very narrow angles and fast movement by the camera,you wouldn't believe the filming takes for say the opening door scenes alone,nine i think it was.....the continuity were sticklers and yet they wasted their time,Both Sammy and myself had to carry record boxes in and yet you never saw them !

I was the one trying to smuggle a bottle of newcastle brown ale in and i had to have a wallet with old fivers,pound and ten bob notes and paid the lass on the desk....again you didn't glimpse any of it , lots more filmed parts were never used.

The dance floor scenes the Olympics were playing when it was actually Patti and the Emblems playing in those scenes and vice versa......Sammy and me sat down when we got into the club and while they set up etc i said to Sammy lets get the box's open there maybe some good tunes in there for us !!!! they were full of 45's........Cilla Black , Val Hooligan , Billy J Kramer , Frank Ifield etc etc ......needless to say we didn't keep any so don't bother asking if i'll sell you Paddy Mcginty's goat as i haven't got one..........honest !

One BBC lass between takes was responsible for setting a smoke machine away and then tucking behind a door out of the way,i couldn't see any smoke on the program,some of the cast had imitation cigarettes with smoke and again i didn't see any on screen,so i applaud the work that goes into these programs and the behind the scenes crew work bloody hard and get no recognition.

Funniest part for me was filming the part where the lass sees the DJ on the balcony with her mate and runs out,the camera and sound man had to follow alongside her and folk who saw them heading toward them had to ensure they left them a track through the dance floor..........well a lad from Tyneside who attends That Beatin Rhythm was just coming up from a backdrop and the sound man tripped over him and went down ontop of him,he was a big bloke all your saw were his arms and feet under this hulk..... he was crushed !!

Great post :thumbsup: Nice to see it from another angle so to speak :wink:

Social source share

Just caught it on iplayer, not being funny, but considering she was hit by a driver that didn't stop.

Could have finished it off nicely with Rose Batiste. :-)

Aid.

obtw off topic but ...... well done yesterday :thumbsup:

Edited by Alison H
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey Ali, hope the teardrops have been wiped away from Saturday?

Did you go? We went, great day, never mind chuck, maybe anther grand final for you.

Aid.

I didn't go :( A girl at work was getting married, and I couldn't get out of it :(

I maybe should have tried harder, as the last time I went to Wembley, we won (1999)

Well done Aid, the best team did win :thumbsup:

Social source share

obtw off topic but ...... well done yesterday :thumbsup:

And credit to Leeds, I was very worried at half time & Rhinos made a fist of it, missed Maguire badly I'd say, also, that try from Delaney knocked the stuffing out of em, had a great day, was in Harrow on Hill & caught up with lots of old friends.

Aid.

Social source share

And credit to Leeds, I was very worried at half time & Rhinos made a fist of it, missed Maguire badly I'd say, also, that try from Delaney knocked the stuffing out of em, had a great day, was in Harrow on Hill & caught up with lots of old friends.

Aid.

I can't like your post Aid, as I've run out of "likes" today so I'll quickly say (before we get told off for going off topic :lol: ) I agree with you 100% (especially about Maguire) Also feel Leeds should have tried to use Ryan Hall more.

George Gently wasn't so bad after all (for a Sunday night programme), light entertainment which touched on very valid race issues of the 60's

Ali

P.S. Will PM you about odd the correct shaped balls :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So we have established all the record/subculture continuity errors and the cars being wrong. Still nobody older than me has addressed my important 'cheese toastie' [during the lunch time pub visit scene] enquiry. I would have thought the ground breaking idea of turning cheese on toast into a sandwich, thus making it easy to eat without spilling your pint of chemic, originated in the seventies.

dean

Social source share

So we have established all the record/subculture continuity errors and the cars being wrong. Still nobody older than me has addressed my important 'cheese toastie' [during the lunch time pub visit scene] enquiry. I would have thought the ground breaking idea of turning cheese on toast into a sandwich, thus making it easy to eat without spilling your pint of chemic, originated in the seventies.

dean

Have to say that we had cheese on toast and jam on toast made like this in the 60's, I don't mean on a breville but just a sandwich, toasted - surely not a 70's innovation.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...plus the murdered girl had a copy of Frank Wilson in her bedroom LOL.....this could be good.....

Ian D :D

I actually laughed out loud when I saw that! :D

As a drama though, regardless of the NS connection, I thought it was pretty weak, though I do like Marigold as an actor :)

Roger

Edited by Roger Williams
Social source share

Never watched the programme before and I dont think I'll be in any rush to do so again! Apart from the much discussed historical inaccuracies, I though the whole thing was pretty poor.

For me to enjoy drama I have to be able to "take to" the characters for want of a better expression, Martin Shaw's Gently is one of the most uninteresting detective characters Ive ever seen and his sidekick is just a twat!

Detective Sergeant?? Its just pity that they didnt have access to modern forensic techniques then they would have realised she was the victim of a hit and run and not murder in the first 10 minutes and saved everybdy the trouble ..

Wont say much about the northern aspects as its all been said - pathetic

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Have to say that we had cheese on toast and jam on toast made like this in the 60's, I don't mean on a breville but just a sandwich, toasted - surely not a 70's innovation.

Toasties used to come in some form of unmeltable toaster proof plastic sellophaney stuff before sandwich makers were invented.

I can't remember when this was or how they were cooked (possibly in a grill?) but I do remember they could remove three layers of skin on your fingers and the majority of the inside of your mouth if you didn't leave them to cool down.

I thought the episode was fairly good light entertainment.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I concur with Pete. We did too.

Surely the art of the cheese toastie goes back a couple of centuries if you want to factor in welsh rarebit and croque monsieur (and yes i know CM usually has ham in it too, but the principle's the same...)

Social source share

I concur with Pete. We did too.

Surely the art of the cheese toastie goes back a couple of centuries if you want to factor in welsh rarebit and croque monsieur (and yes i know CM usually has ham in it too, but the principle's the same...)

How very posh Mr Rounce.

Social source share

The Four Tops Hip-O Select Cd is only available through Amazon at the moment...price.... over £100!!!!!

WHAT!-(thanks for the info, since it makes me feel quite good, as I had the presence of mind to buy it a few years ago). The TV Programme: Very good to hear all tose tracks, but:

As someone's already pointed out, Frank Wilson's DILYIID was a cover up; was it even known about then?

The Swimming Pool Scene: 'Lets get it on' was not recorded then, was it?

The dancing: where was the sense of rhythm? I wish I'd known about this episode, because I, and many contributors to this site, could have done a better bit of dancing (as extras), to these tracks. Chuck Woods-'7 days is too long', for a start!

..apart from that, good soundtrack.... :wicked:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

At last got to watch this last night. We like the program anyway so the NS wouldn't have put us off. Better than expected although the "facts" were at best stretched :lol:

Somethings I didn't know about NS.

1. Frank Wilson was discovered in 1968, in Newcastle (Dudley) :wink:

2. There are 3 copies, not 2 :D

3. 'Let's get it on' was in fact released 5 years earlier than claimed to be. :thumbsup:

4. They slowed danced at NS venues :yes:

5. You could actually pull a bird at a NS venue :shhh:

Good fun, love that light blue Ford Corsair :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dave Atkinson

I was the DJ at the Blue Orchid during the Allnighters and I cant remember playing Freda Pain. Tammi Lynn, Yes I think that was the only copy along with Hey Girl Dont Bother me.'There was no other DJ during that period.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest crowman

The show was crap as was the story line. I did enjoy the music but could not name a single track. The first was a remix but dont know what. when I looked up the track listing for the show it was a mile out Apche by the shadows was not played as far as I know I looked up all the track listings and they were all wrong.

Does anyone know the correct track listings for all tracks played in this show?????sick of main stream northern and I like something a bit off the track..

thanks to all concerned

Social source share

• 9 months later...

I saw this show when it first appeared in 2012.

I saw a recent repeat and recorded it for a later day. 

My memory of it included snippets of 'real' NS records. I'm sure they featured a Four Tops that was only issued in about 2005...made me smile that.

However, I watched the repeat last night and ALL the music was, for want of an expression, 'tailor made'. (and not typical NS at that)

Am I totally confused........did they substitute the incidental music? I didn't hear one record I knew on this repeat.

If so , why?

Any answers?

thanks

Social source share

I saw this show when it first appeared in 2012.

I saw a recent repeat and recorded it for a later day. 

My memory of it included snippets of 'real' NS records. I'm sure they featured a Four Tops that was only issued in about 2005...made me smile that.

However, I watched the repeat last night and ALL the music was, for want of an expression, 'tailor made'. (and not typical NS at that)

Am I totally confused........did they substitute the incidental music? I didn't hear one record I knew on this repeat.

If so , why?

Any answers?

thanks

Don't forget there's been two NS features on that show, might have been the other one?

Social source share

The one I saw had Sammy Dee dancing in it, young girl gets murdered, near a beach, can't remember much else about it. What was the plot of the other one Pete, do you know?

Something to do with three girls at a holiday camp I think, probably a murder somewhere along the line, about a month back there was a topic about it on here (may have been raised by me) about a piece of music used in it, a modern day NS recreation, I'll try and find it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was the same show...Black girl murdered after all nighter.

The 'repeat' ....recorded about 1 month ago, appears to have all the 'original' (i.e. real records) substituted by new tunes.

Also, as the repeat was on ALIBI, there were advertisement breaks (original on BBC), so I got the impression that scenes of club, dancers, NS records etc were removed.

I'm sure the sergeant under cover had more 'club' activity.

But, the music has definitely been 'tampered' with.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Marina77

Hi am a newbie here,

In the last 10 year, I have taken a great interest in Northern Soul music and have started buying  some of the compilation CDs available. I am not as well versed in this music genre but I am getting there. I would also take advice which other compilations I should get.

My main query is, I recently watched George Gently, series 5, episode 1 titled 'Gently Northern Soul' on the Alibi channel on Sky and I really liked some of the songs. I really wanted to know the name of the songs and artists of some of the songs. There is three songs I like but I only found out the name of one of them, I think its called 'Lock Up'. There is a song at the beginning of the programme, and a second song, start of the scenes, within the first 3 minutes of the opening scenes..I am trying to find the name of the song but I am totally lost and cannot find it on the internet and I have googled to death and even on find the lyrics site and I am at a dead end.

I wonder if any of you kind Northern Soul connoisseurs can help me identify the track below and the rest of the songs in that programme. I wshed the ITV had them at the end of the credits so I could at least find out the title of these songs. I know , one or two were not strictly Northern Soul but I liked all the songs.

The second song sounds like 60s american soul. The lyrics go like this

'Oh true love, what I feel for you,
true love, i need it so bad,
true love, come on now baby
Now that I have found my true love
Oh true love, all of the time
true love, you send me out of my mind

I used to see you in the neighbourhood
i always thought you looked so good,
i said  baby will you come out with me
she said i'll tell you know when i'll be free
Eventually, I took her out that night
we danced till dawn and it was out of sight
i said girl, this can't be true, I can never be without you.

I couldn't catch it all. Please could you help, I so appreciate this so I can at least try and find it somewhere on a CD, I can't even find it on Youtube,.Its driving me bonkers trying to figure it out.  Sorry for the request on my first post. 

Thank you so much in advance.

Marina

Edited by Marina77
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!