The All-Time Top 20 Soul Lp's On The Rare Soul Scene

dthedrug

Guest jerrio

The Hesitations - Soul Superman,every track a winner. Wrighty. Agree with Roger Jackie Wilson Beautiful Day is a class lp. Wrighty.

Edited by jerrio
Social source share

Sandra Wright "Wounded Woman" (I'll come back with more) :wink:

Sandra+Wright+-+Wounded+Woman.jpeg

I would agree with you on that, but personally I don't think it should be included as it's a retrospective compilation of recordings rather than a released LP (in the same as Otis Clay's The Only Way Is Up).

I recently pulled some LP's from storage to record before going on holiday and found this one to be cracked, I was so gutted.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Sam Dees - "The show must go on"

Lamont Dozier - "Black Bach"

Soul Children - "Friction"

Soul Children - "Genesis"

Millie Jackson - "Caught up"

Millie Jackson - "Still caught up"

Just off the top of my head - ought to make any top 20.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Richard Searling did a fantastic compilation of UA/Liberty/Minit material for EMI back in 1980, Sold On Soul, this is a really fantastic LP and introduced a lot of people to things like The Drifter.

That was one of the albums that I listened to when I 'returned' to Northern. A really well- rounded album. I used to listen to it late at night through headhones and dream of drugs when the Mrs was snoring.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Richard Searling did a fantastic compilation of UA/Liberty/Minit material for EMI back in 1980, Sold On Soul, this is a really fantastic LP and introduced a lot of people to things like The Drifter.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL There are so many great VA LP's MOTOWN CHARTBUSTERS 3 being one of the very best, however to pick a compilation as good as this, Well in my opinion it's a must for inclusion into the top 20? early days though,

RARE STAMPS is in, there are some great LP's listed so far, but are good for certain trax, I think they don't come close to for example MARVIN GAYES "WHATS GOING ON" if we need a bench mark, the TEMPEST LP is sure bet as is the HESITATIONS,

But as I say early days to pick 20, :g: to conclude I come across a copy of the UA LP with Pete Smiths name & address on it, I am sure I gave it back to him? :ohmy: DAVE

Social source share

I would agree with you on that, but personally I don't think it should be included as it's a retrospective compilation of recordings rather than a released LP (in the same as Otis Clay's The Only Way Is Up)

O.K. John I can see your point. So a "real one",then : :wink:

Shirley Brown (Arista)

brown_shirl_shirleybr_101b.jpg

Social source share

All the ones Lofty has mentioned plus

Jimmy Lewis-Totally Involved

Hesitations-Born Free

Dells-Sweet as funk can be

Originals-Portrait

Originals-California Sunset

New Sounds

Greg Perry-One For The Road

Bobby Womack-Communication

For now, more later

Kev

Was going to mention the Hesitations but I knew you would Kev!

Social source share

My fav LPs from top of my head..

Major Lance Greatest Hits.

Glady Knight Pipe Dreams.

Fillet of Soul Stax VA (including Showdown Rance Allen)

From The Vaults Motown VA.

Moving on in time & more generic soul.

Grover Washington Jr Wine light (Be Mine Tonight standout track).

George Benson In Flight (World Is A Ghetto is just sublime all 10 minutes or so)

Anita Baker Rapture.

Aid.

Social source share

All the ones Lofty has mentioned plus

Jimmy Lewis-Totally Involved

Hesitations-Born Free

Dells-Sweet as funk can be

Originals-Portrait

Originals-California Sunset

New Sounds

Greg Perry-One For The Road

Bobby Womack-Communication

For now, more later

Kev

isnt it Greg Jackson one for the road ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I would agree with you on that, but personally I don't think it should be included as it's a retrospective compilation of recordings rather than a released LP (in the same as Otis Clay's The Only Way Is Up).

I recently pulled some LP's from storage to record before going on holiday and found this one to be cracked, I was so gutted.

John,

Surely Otis Clay's "The Only Way Is Up" LP was released, promoted and marketed in the early 80's in the US & Japan as a new, contemporary release even though certain tracks had previously been released on other labels several years earlier ... while the Sandra Wright LP was very obviously a compilation originating in the UK on Demon Records of previously released and newly discovered material , and it was clearly marketed as such , wasn't it ?

Not that any of that matters as far as the musical quality is concerned ... they are both great LPs of course !!!

In fact, and I've said it before on here several times, the only way to play out Otis Clay's "The Only Way Is Up" is off the said original LP because the sound quality is so unbelievably good, loud and clear, and it doesn't have the nasty hiss and jump at the start which most the 45's seem to have. And YES... it is absolutely OK to play the original LP ahead of the original 45 ... even at an OVO event !!!

Social source share

Can I add both the Doris Duke lps, mine are on Mojo, bought following the recommendation of Dave Godin in B & S.

As an eighteen year old deep soul was a previously unheard of genre, and these blew my head off. I then avidly bought anything with Swamp Dogg's involvement in - never disappointed.

John

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Surely Otis Clay's "The Only Way Is Up" LP was released, promoted and marketed in the early 80's in the US & Japan as a new, contemporary release even though certain tracks had previously been released on other labels several years earlier ...

I don't remember it being marketed as contemporary a release at the time (1985). The Japan Victor release also came out in 1982 which was three years before the US pressing on Blues R&B and out of the 10 tracks only three were contemporary although they may have been recorded earlier. I also got "Soul Man Live In Japan" on Rooster Blues at the same time, which too was a US/Canadian release of a Japanese release of a couple years earlier.

In fact, and I've said it before on here several times, the only way to play out Otis Clay's "The Only Way Is Up" is off the said original LP because the sound quality is so unbelievably good, loud and clear, and it doesn't have the nasty hiss and jump at the start which most the 45's seem to have. And YES... it is absolutely OK to play the original LP ahead of the original 45 ... even at an OVO event !!!

post-4493-0-00523200-1345545323_thumb.jp

Stone him, Stone him, Stone him........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of my favourite LP's not already mentioned are and IMO not one dodgy track on any.

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction of Your mind - Canyon

Don Covay - Super Dude I - Mercury

Luther Ingram - Do You Love Somebody - KoKo

Ann Peebles - I Cant Stand The Rain - Hi

Paul Kelly - Don't Burn Me - WB

Modulations - It's Rough Out Here - Buddah

Jimmy Hughes - Something Special - Volt

Mavis Staples - Only For The Lonely - Volt

Darrel Banks - Here To Stay - Volt

Eddie hinton - Very Extremely Dangerous - Capricorn

Otis Clay - Trying To Live My Life Without You - Hi

Don Bryant - Precious Soul - Hi (Thie best set of covers I've ever heard)

Impressions - Young mods Forgotten Story - Curtom

Impressions - This is My Country - Curtom

Leroy Hutson - Love Oh Love - Curtom

Natural Four - Heaven Right Here On Earth - Curtom

Natural Four - Natural Four - Curtom

O'Jays - Ship Ahoy - PIR

The list goes on........

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source