No Alternative To Royal Mail?

Pete S

Am just about to send a very rare reggae 12" to Italy, value £200, Royal Mail don't do a signed for service (only international signed for which gets you to the country you are mailing to but no further. Other destinations you are able to use Airsure, but not Italy) I need a signature for this one - anyway, thought I'd try DHL, for a signed for 12" single they charge £33. I thought that was bad. But UPS charge £56 for a signed for 12" single.

So it looks as if there is no viable alternative to Royal mail unless anyone knows otherwise?

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Have you tried www.parcel2go.com - they're like a courier broker site. I was looking to send a box of 150 45s to Japan and Fedex quoted £130 or something. Went on parcel2go and the price for Fedex (a superior faster service) they quoted was £60 odd.

It's mad, why can't companies just give you the best price instead of a middleman getting a better price PLUS they're getting a cut too? Insurance, gas, electricity, phones, all of them... does my nut in.

Social source share

Am just about to send a very rare reggae 12" to Italy, value £200, Royal Mail don't do a signed for service (only international signed for which gets you to the country you are mailing to but no further. Other destinations you are able to use Airsure, but not Italy) I need a signature for this one - anyway, thought I'd try DHL, for a signed for 12" single they charge £33. I thought that was bad. But UPS charge £56 for a signed for 12" single.

So it looks as if there is no viable alternative to Royal mail unless anyone knows otherwise?

There's a company called DPD

https://www.dpd.com/

or

https://www.interlinkdirect.co.uk/online_sales/initialise.action

They're low cost, you can track & trace on the internet too.

Social source share

Beware, DPD!

My partner Bev sends packages and parcels of all shapes and sizes to clients across the world. She used DPD as an alternative carrier to the other big names and found their customer service dreadful. In one instance, the price she was quoted for a delivery turned out to be completely wrong (they invoice for a considerably larger amount).

Bev contested the invoice and rather than discuss or negotiate, DPD threatened legal action, issued court paper work and slapped on a load extra in charges. Their customer service was arrogant, hostile, threatening and dismissive. This wasn't an overdue invoice, by the way, it was just a standard invoicing dispute!

Admittedly, this was in the Netherlands, and Bev's requirements are for a parcel delivery service rather than a postal substitute, but if the attitude of the customer services of DPD here is anything to go by, I'd be cautious when using them.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Try UPS again but book through https://www.interparcel.com

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Pete,

Always used parcelmonkey.co.uk sent many items abroad including ' awkward ' destinations eg Italy, Poland, Serbia .. all have trackable facilities so you can see where the item is , when signed for times etc..

Give them a try ....

Cheers Glyn, Chris

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Thats really interesting, thanks, look at the difference - though none mention a signed for service?

https://www.interparc...1]=2&x=130&y=18

Interparcel standard service uses UPS, the parcel is tracked at every point door to door and you can view the signature online when the customer receives the parcel. You can also add extra insurance if required.

Social source share

Hi Pete

Did anyone mention the Global International Value service to you?

This week I sent a package of 10 vinyl albums and 15 45's to a shop in France using this service for a cost of £25.40.

The package was also insured up to a value of £100.00

If you need anymore information give me a call

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!