The Knights How Rare Is It

dthedrug

:hatsoff2: HI ALL I LOOKING AT A WELL KNOW CURRENT LIST YESTERDAY, AND PRIDE OF PLACE WAS THE EXCELLANT RECORD BY THE KNIGHTS - I GOT A FEELING, - USA RECORDS,

i HAVE THIS IN MY COLLECTION I MINT-, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN RARE, BUT i DID NOT NO IT HAD A PRICE TAG OF £750, AS i HAD PAID £30 FOR MINE,

HAVE I JUST BEEN LUCKY OR IS THE PRICE ON THE AUCTION WAY OVERPRICED? :rofl: DAVE

Social source share

Guest Duncan Ball

i had one prob about 12 years ago that cost me 150 and i sold it for the same, alot of prices now leave me abit confused lol about the same time i bought the idols check her out on usa for 900, any idea how much that is now? bloody rare when i got it

Social source share

i had one prob about 12 years ago that cost me 150 and i sold it for the same, alot of prices now leave me abit confused lol about the same time i bought the idols check her out on usa for 900, any idea how much that is now? bloody rare when i got it

I sold my first knights around 1999/2000 and got around 150 for it...took me some years to replace it again for about 200 ukp. bought the very first known idols copy off pat brady when he had it back from gary spencer who used to play it c/up as soul bros six...it was an almost impossible to find 45 back then. think I paid 800 for it. found a vg spare some yaers later which I traded against new world or what it was called on polydor in 2006/7. havent seen many ex or better copies of the idols....at a guess around 1000 ukp nowadays.

Social source share

Guest Duncan Ball

that sounds like my old copy marc,i sold up about 10 or 11 years ago and sold my collection to pat and that was garys old copy,it had tiny label tares where the tape had come into contact with the label! pretty sure butch had one at the same time! and shifty was desperate to get it off me lol wot a tune

Social source share

The knights doesn't show up. I paid I think 400 pounds on it in sales here. I was satisfied. If I were in the UK with access to people's boxes I probably could have gotten it cheaper but it never comes up on ebay or other places I look at least.

I still don't own a copy of the Idols, I think the last USA soul group record I don't have... obviously tons of R&B on USA I don't have though, so many impossible titles on the label.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

that sounds like my old copy marc,i sold up about 10 or 11 years ago and sold my collection to pat and that was garys old copy,it had tiny label tares where the tape had come into contact with the label! pretty sure butch had one at the same time! and shifty was desperate to get it off me lol wot a tune

Hi Duncan, definitely seems to be...what a small world ! theres indeed a label tear, not so mall but thankfully only on the flipside. what a record....before I got my hands on it I must have played it a thousand times off a tape Gary (who was amongst the very first british DJ`s I ever invited and for that reason the first UK DJ to have played at a German allnighter..in 1990) gave me back then. Will always remember when he and his friends were at my first flat back then and much to the shock and awe of us put on Rita & The Tiaras and Jackey Beavers on my sound system...his reply was "come on fellas, its only plastic"...we were so innocent back then ;) LOL

Social source share

I still don't own a copy of the Idols, I think the last USA soul group record I don't have... obviously tons of R&B on USA I don't have though, so many impossible titles on the label.

So I take it you also have Doug & Dave on USA...another very rare 45 on the label. Found it in Berlin early nineties and played it c/up till the start of the next century.

Social source share

...which reminds me: Around 1988 there was a dealer at a big Berlin record fair who had amongst his stuff complete runs of USA and Palmer with him. He did only want to sell as a complete deal. I was still in school so I of course could not even dream about making him an offer. Friends of mine told me later on that because he couldnt find anyone who was willing to take the whole lot decided to split and sell individually to different Berlin record dealers. On looking back now I believe thats were a lot of Plamer and USA records originated from which I and friends of mine found here in the following years.

Social source share

there was a copy of the knights on ebay this week, i didnt bother to put it in my watch list, anyone know what it went for, its not showing in "completed listings", a pretty hard record to find, one that saus and andy dyson played out a lot in the mid 90's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item337b214b6f&item=221109111663&nma=true&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&rt=nc&si=YutDFTbP2SBCk0RhAzOfoahUmqw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1413

Social source share

So I take it you also have Doug & Dave on USA...another very rare 45 on the label. Found it in Berlin early nineties and played it c/up till the start of the next century.

it wasn't that hard for me to get the doug and dave, i've seen it a few times. it's one of the leased in new orleans productions, like the edward st ann. what's weird is that the knights on usa are possibly the same atlanta group as the knights on tragar (which is an instrumental record). The tragar record has World publishing on it (which is USA's publishing).

Social source share

it wasn't that hard for me to get the doug and dave, i've seen it a few times. it's one of the leased in new orleans productions, like the edward st ann. what's weird is that the knights on usa are possibly the same atlanta group as the knights on tragar (which is an instrumental record). The tragar record has World publishing on it (which is USA's publishing).

do you have other nola produced recordings by doug & dave ?

Social source share

do you have other nola produced recordings by doug & dave ?

the doug & dave on USA isn't in the same rarity/price league as the other records listed in this thread.

both doug anderson & dave/leon bonds have a few other things. there is other doug & dave stuff, doug anderson solo stuff, they were both members of the sonics & dave/leon bonds was a pretty prolific songwriter & guitarist on the new orleans scene at that time, he has a lot of writing credits & session stuff as a guitarist as well as his own solo stuff.

you can catch up on some of it all here for starters:

https://greenvilleand...ersondoug-dave/

https://greenvilleand...-the-hi-liters/

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

the doug & dave on USA isn't in the same rarity/price league as the other records listed in this thread.

both doug anderson & dave/leon bonds have a few other things. there is other doug & dave stuff, doug anderson solo stuff, they were both members of the sonics & dave/leon bonds was a pretty prolific songwriter & guitarist on the new orleans scene at that time, he has a lot of writing credits & session stuff as a guitarist as well as his own solo stuff.

thanks for the detailed info

Social source share

hi krissie, didnt say doug and dave are as rare as the idols, but in my experience it was amongtst the rarer stuff on USA especially in those pre-ebay days. however, thanks for the detailed info and links will check that out.

Social source share

Guest Duncan Ball

honest now i cannot remember where the knights came from, the idols deffo pat for 900, i was at work and he played me 5 or so tunes and i went i want that one lol, god ive had some tunes

Social source share

honest now i cannot remember where the knights came from, the idols deffo pat for 900, i was at work and he played me 5 or so tunes and i went i want that one lol, god ive had some tunes

funny, he must haven bought of gary again when he sold up, offered it to you, some years later you sold it back to him and from there it went to me.

Social source share

Regarding the Knights 45 USA i had been playing it in all my DJ spots for the past 18 years after getting it off Saus at my 40th birthday party i had been pestering him for a couple of years to let me have it and was well pleased when he let me have it in a swop that night. I sold that copy to Dickie Watt at the Prestatyn weekender around 7 years ago Dickie had been trying to find a copy for years without success. A few months later i looked through Johnny Fingers sales box at Lowton and he had a copy which i bought at what i thought was a bargain price £300 thats the copy i sold earlier this year to Bob

its a hard 45 to locate in my opinion and always went down well on the dancefloor when i spun it out..Ah Marc one of my better deals swopping that Idols off you for that 70,s Polydor 45 :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Duncan Ball

i cant remember exact dates but i know i bought the idols in the late 90s and sold up due to divorce in 2002 time, still is one of my fav tunes

Social source share

im amazed people buy cracked or battered records for such high prices

I found 30 copies of the Knights 45 in the early 9ts. About 8 of the copies had a crack across the run-out dead wax (hard to see unless you bend the record and didn't run into the grooves) I sold the cracked copies in a 'used and abused' box for £20 each.

It's intriguing to see some sellers rating a cracked record so highly?

Just to put the record straight, I never included that record on my playlist.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

wouldn't it be awesome to have a time machine........

Yes. I left a LOT of great records unbought because I couldn't afford to pay more nickles, dimes, quarters and half-Dollars for more records. I'd be a multi-millionnaire in Pounds Stirling, Euros and Dollars many times over, if I had just added one hundredth of the $1 records I passed up.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

just found the local first release

post-1700-0-43674400-1355763162_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

me too..

:hatsoff2: HI MARK, HI ALL

In a perfect world, and how much we spend on records, they should all be mint I still get a chuckle from the notation of if you have money you can by mint records that are 40 tears old, If you wee looking to buy original Jamaican records in mint condition, you would not have a collection! just a pile of 45s, that are crap,

As stated by myself before, collecting JA records without considering that it is a very poor 3rd world country, so poor that even cardboard LP SLEEVES are reused, sometimes even the rarest LP sleeves were turned inside out to have a basic screen print put on, most records had only 4% with proper labels,

All though in the USA it was not so extreme, most records are DEMOS and very small amount of stock copies exist today, if a record gets damaged you pay what you want, you can have the stance of thinking they re worthless? but in truth it is better to have a rare record with a crack in it than not having it at all,

My collection has about 20 cracked records, without the cracks they would be priced at about £15k as they have cracks well, lets say by buying them very cheap i have taken them off the market so you can pay top prices and i can play the record, and not worrying about my investment? :ohmy: Dave K

Social source share

.... in truth it is better to have a rare record with a crack in it than not having it at all,.... :ohmy: Dave K

think you are right dave, pretty much my opinion too. I dont know why I did not reflect my point of view and got more en detail before posting it. of course its better to own a bad conditioned record of a top rare tune instead of not havin it at all...as long as its playable and -most important- the price was fair. think what duncan ball referred to and what I agreed on were top end prices on medium rare records in bad condition (for example knights in vg at 200). atb marc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!