Soul Inc - My Proposal

Markw

Guest Bearsy

So what is the alternate take, an acetate?

Think so Mark best person to answer that is Kev, very slightly different and just as good ....

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Right folks I am gonna have to give you the exact facts here. This was played as a first time out by Rob Marriott at the Friday night soul nights at The Claremont in Edinburgh, 1984 (deffo when I was 26 years old cos I was sat next to the DJ booth with Micky Cruise and we just nodded at each other in approval when Rob played it). That exact same evening Mark Wilson from Edinburgh persuaded Rob to sell it to him for £400 and the deal was sealed. There was only Mark Wilson playing this in the country for at least a year. Mark doing regular spots predominantly up North and of course in Scotland meant some of us had the pleasure of hearing this on a regular basis long before the majority. Spot on Mark, definitely c/u as Cecil Washington and remained covered during Mark Wilson spinning it.

I was out every weekend travelling to Scotland on a Friday and then down to the South for Saturday's niters and no one else was spinning this. I do recall Keith Money getting his copy but don't recall Kenny Burrell playing it. If my memory serves me, as you rightfully say Dave Flynn picked up a copy too. I have to agree, the turn of the century is probably the time the majority of the scene started to hear it on a regular basis.

Sorry if I sound very direct and a bit of a know all but I hate it when people randomly make statements which are actually incorrect so I strongly felt I had to correctly inform you all. Credit where credit is due to Dave Flynn and Keith Money, making the record big on the scene but the real credit should be given to Rob for discovering it and to Mark Wilson for his determination to own the tune that very first night and for the f""""" amazing sets he did playing this along with many other top sounds back in 1993/94.. My most amazing days on the scene!

I will try to seek out the tape I was handed with My Proposal on it, I'm sure there is a track listing from the Dynamo 3 Soul Club, Edinburgh with the date on it. It was a freebie anniversary compilation courtesy of the regular Claremont Jocks (excuse the pun). Hope I haven't offended anyone here, not my intention. xxxx

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

Ooh and a quick one... I've put a copy of "Indication" up for sale on here today if anyone is interested in buying it??? Top notch condition and handled with care in my collection for the past 20 years :thumbsup:

Social source share

Right folks I am gonna have to give you the exact facts here. This was played as a first time out by Rob Marriott at the Friday night soul nights at The Claremont in Edinburgh, 1984 (deffo when I was 26 years old cos I was sat next to the DJ booth with Micky Cruise and we just nodded at each other in approval when Rob played it). That exact same evening Mark Wilson from Edinburgh persuaded Rob to sell it to him for £400 and the deal was sealed. There was only Mark Wilson playing this in the country for at least a year. Mark doing regular spots predominantly up North and of course in Scotland meant some of us had the pleasure of hearing this on a regular basis long before the majority. Spot on Mark, definitely c/u as Cecil Washington and remained covered during Mark Wilson spinning it.

I was out every weekend travelling to Scotland on a Friday and then down to the South for Saturday's niters and no one else was spinning this. I do recall Keith Money getting his copy but don't recall Kenny Burrell playing it. If my memory serves me, as you rightfully say Dave Flynn picked up a copy too. I have to agree, the turn of the century is probably the time the majority of the scene started to hear it on a regular basis.

Sorry if I sound very direct and a bit of a know all but I hate it when people randomly make statements which are actually incorrect so I strongly felt I had to correctly inform you all. Credit where credit is due to Dave Flynn and Keith Money, making the record big on the scene but the real credit should be given to Rob for discovering it and to Mark Wilson for his determination to own the tune that very first night and for the f""""" amazing sets he did playing this along with many other top sounds back in 1993/84.. My most amazing days on the scene!

I will try to seek out the tape I was handed with My Proposal on it, I'm sure there is a track listing from the Dynamo 3 Soul Club, Edinburgh with the date on it. It was a freebie anniversary compilation courtesy of the regular Claremont Jocks (excuse the pun). Hope I haven't offended anyone here, not my intention. xxxx

Spot on Kiddo, 84 tho ....that would have made me 16 at the Clairemonte, nearer 92 / 93.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spot on Kiddo, 84 tho ....that would have made me 16 at the Clairemonte, nearer 92 / 93.

Hi ya matey.. How you doing? You were there Lenny, what great days! I edited earlier lol Typo error.. I was working back cos I knew I was 26 but then thought shit, was I 25? Didn't you lads do the business behind the decks despite all your f***** swearing! Massive hug xxxc

Social source share

Not sure but Nick Brown could have bought his copy around about the same time as Dave off The Gashers 25 count box (lol) and was played out to fill in the gaps between The Dome and The Ville.

I'm still sticking with Rob and Mark cos when you're there 'first time out' you know who did the business.. Rob pulled a blinder on what was already a magic night! X

Social source share

Not disputing your statement Miss M :huh: just filling in the gaps from the London point of view.

I have done my maths and that makes you 54 years old now :( and you look great :D

Interesting tho when the record was first played on the Northern dance floor :thumbup: .

Coconut has a shed load of Garage tracks on the label so many copy's could be in collectors cubby holes? :shhh:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

It was around 92, certain of that. My mate was at Tim's when he got the three copies. One went to Rob, one went to Gasher I think, I'm not sure what happened to the other. I don't recall hearing this in the 80's. Rob M at the Claremont would have been early 90's too.

I'll ring my mate later and get the story.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Right folks I am gonna have to give you the exact facts here.

well some of them anyway???? so not exact.. :ohmy::shhh::g:

This was played as a first time out by Rob Marriott at the Friday night soul nights at The Claremont in Edinburgh, 1984 (deffo when I was 26 years old cos I was sat next to the DJ booth with Micky Cruise and we just nodded at each other in approval when Rob played it). That exact same evening Mark Wilson from Edinburgh persuaded Rob to sell it to him for £400 and the deal was sealed. There was only Mark Wilson playing this in the country for at least a year. Mark doing regular spots predominantly up North and of course in Scotland meant some of us had the pleasure of hearing this on a regular basis long before the majority. Spot on Mark, definitely c/u as Cecil Washington and remained covered during Mark Wilson spinning it.

very true I remember Mark playin it and makin me buzz...

3 copies found originly by Mr Koppel stateside..2 came into uk one to Rob M and Tim Brown got the other. Martin kept the best copy for himself...apparently

I hounded Martin for years to prize it from his grasp with no luck but

I eventually got Martin Koppels copy when he sold up...I asked for it before it was listed knowing he had the 3rd copy and the deal was done.

Keith Money didnt get his copy for a year or 3 after me. His copy came Via SHIFTY....

Kenny B never had a copy at that time as he tended not to buy the sme things as Keith.wether or not he did buy one I dont think he did..

Flynny bought my first copy and began spinning it in at Capital soul

my second copy also went to England..Nick Brown..if memory serves me right.

I played it in Scotland mid to late 90's era and thanks to Mark for enlightening us to it..albeit via Rob but I always give Mark the credit haha

So did Rob really discover it :g: or was It Martin Koppel as he found the intial copies :g: ???....and It was just Rob that broke it. :yes: ..either way I dont care ....

Credit where its due to all three ROB especially for breaking it on the scene :thumbup:

, MARK for playing it at the Claremont and giving me the hardest and longest wait ever to source my copy and to MARTIN KOPPEL for finding it in the first place.

Sorry if I sound very direct and a bit of a know all but I hate it when people randomly make statements which are actually incorrect so I strongly felt I had to correctly inform you all.

sorry to change it slightly but if you want to be correct then the above is actually how it went with no random statements. haha :wicked:

the gasher

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've just rung my mate, Nick Stevenson. He was there the Saturday they arrived, two copies as you say Gash, but he says it was definitely 1992 not 1994 when they arrived. He was offered it before Rob on the Saturday they arrived for £500. he refused it as he didn't like it, too poppy for him, still doesn't like it, he'd also just paid for a load of unknowns/semi-knowns off Tim, Billy Harner on Sound Gems was one. Like you say Gash it went to Rob after Nick turned it down.

Social source share

Right folks I am gonna have to give you the exact facts here.

well some of them anyway???? so not exact.. :ohmy::shhh::g:

This was played as a first time out by Rob Marriott at the Friday night soul nights at The Claremont in Edinburgh, 1984 (deffo when I was 26 years old cos I was sat next to the DJ booth with Micky Cruise and we just nodded at each other in approval when Rob played it). That exact same evening Mark Wilson from Edinburgh persuaded Rob to sell it to him for £400 and the deal was sealed. There was only Mark Wilson playing this in the country for at least a year. Mark doing regular spots predominantly up North and of course in Scotland meant some of us had the pleasure of hearing this on a regular basis long before the majority. Spot on Mark, definitely c/u as Cecil Washington and remained covered during Mark Wilson spinning it.

very true I remember Mark playin it and makin me buzz...

3 copies found originly by Mr Koppel stateside..2 came into uk one to Rob M and Tim Brown got the other. Martin kept the best copy for himself...apparently

I hounded Martin for years to prize it from his grasp with no luck but

I eventually got Martin Koppels copy when he sold up...I asked for it before it was listed knowing he had the 3rd copy and the deal was done.

Keith Money didnt get his copy for a year or 3 after me. His copy came Via SHIFTY....

Kenny B never had a copy at that time as he tended not to buy the sme things as Keith.wether or not he did buy one I dont think he did..

Flynny bought my first copy and began spinning it in at Capital soul

my second copy also went to England..Nick Brown..if memory serves me right.

I played it in Scotland mid to late 90's era and thanks to Mark for enlightening us to it..albeit via Rob but I always give Mark the credit haha

So did Rob really discover it :g: or was It Martin Koppel as he found the intial copies :g: ???....and It was just Rob that broke it. :yes: ..either way I dont care ....

Credit where its due to all three ROB especially for breaking it on the scene :thumbup:

, MARK for playing it at the Claremont and giving me the hardest and longest wait ever to source my copy and to MARTIN KOPPEL for finding it in the first place.

sorry to change it slightly but if you want to be correct then the above is actually how it went with no random statements. haha :wicked:

the gasher

Hi Richie,

Hope your well,

All correct first played by the legendary Rob Marriott who then sold it to Mark Wilson who I think sold it to James Trouble as he doesn't have it now. Unfortunately I don't think Mark is on the scene much these days which is a real pity as he had fabulous records and taste.

As you say mine came from Shifty, before he went on one of his trips to America he asked me if there was a major want I was looking for and I told him if he saw a Soul Incorporated that I would buy it from.

Not really thinking he would get one I couldn't believe it when he phoned when he got back to say he had one for me which was really good of him as I dont know if he kept one for himself or not but if he did I never heard him play it out.

As you say Kenny never had one.

Keith

• Helpful 2
Social source share

For God's sake - it was a typo error of 1984. If you all look I edited this correctly to 1993/94 :)

And thank you Mr Money for confirming this.

Joan, you are correct about Mark dj'ing down here at the all dayer as I was there too and Mark went back to yours after the do. Wasn't the alldayer run by someone else though after Pete had already died? Pete had done a soul night at the same place on the Friday the week before he was killed..

Anyway, this has certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons and I WILL dig out that tape to check the date.

Just for the record I am 44 not 54!

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

Joan, you are correct about Mark dj'ing down here at the all dayer as I was there too and Mark went back to yours after the do. Wasn't the alldayer run by someone else though after Pete had already died? Pete had done a soul night at the same place on the Friday the week before he was killed..

Tony said that but I said he was wrong :lol:

Sure Pete was there but I could be mistaken, it has been known :shhh:

I do remember Mark thinking he had 'lost' his Sonny Herman only to find out upon his return home that he had put two records in one sleeve

Social source share

Tony said that but I said he was wrong :lol:

Sure Pete was there but I could be mistaken, it has been known :shhh:

I do remember Mark thinking he had 'lost' his Sonny Herman only to find out upon his return home that he had put two records in one sleeve

Hi Joan,

I also remember when Mark thought he had lost the Sonny Herman but it was a couple of weeks later that he found it as you say two records in one sleeve.

I think he actually put an advert in Black Echoes to try and get it back.

Happy days

Keith

Social source share

For God's sake - it was a typo error of 1984. If you all look I edited this correctly to 1993/94 :)

And thank you Mr Money for confirming this.

Anyway, this has certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons and I WILL dig out that tape to check the date.

Just for the record I am 44 not 54!

We realise it was a typo Julie, well I did, could tell by your age you said you were then and how old you are :thumbsup:

But the year it was first played by Rob was1992 not 1994. 1992 is when Tim got the copies from Koppell, 1994 was like you said when he sold it to Mark. Like I said my mate Nick Stevenson was there and was offered the record first, he refused as he thought it was too poppy, which it is :wicked:

Social source share

I remember the Black Echoes add too! Mark called them thieving scum then he found it lol.. They were hectic days though but superb! Anyway, as long as Rob and Mark get noted for the first time out I don't give a flying fig now! I was more angry about the fact that people failed to mention the two of em except for Russ Vickers! And just for the record yes, I'm still 44 as I type this comment! Cheerios

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

We realise it was a typo Julie, well I did, could tell by your age you said you were then and how old you are :thumbsup:

But the year it was first played by Rob was1992 not 1994. 1992 is when Tim got the copies from Koppell, 1994 was like you said when he sold it to Mark. Like I said my mate Nick Stevenson was there and was offered the record first, he refused as he thought it was too poppy, which it is :wicked:

Hey Chalky, I said 93/94 cos I wasn't sure if I was 25 or 26? I am geuinely surprised by 1992 as Rob deffo said 'first time out'. We did tend to go most places Rob was on at, Micky spending a lot of time with him. Unusual that Rob never ran it by Micky before 93. Anyway, it certainly got a response lol... Take care x
Social source share

Hey Chalky, I said 93/94 cos I wasn't sure if I was 25 or 26? I am geuinely surprised by 1992 as Rob deffo said 'first time out'. We did tend to go most places Rob was on at, Micky spending a lot of time with him. Unusual that Rob never ran it by Micky before 93. Anyway, it certainly got a response lol... Take care x

Sorry Chalky, you and Russ mentioned Rob :) x

Social source share

I'm eating a bit of humble pie here guys. I was wrong with saying deffo 94 as it was 93. I was 25...

The 'first time out' story is spot on but I am a year out of sink! Sorry x

And Chalky, Dave says I shouldn't disagree with you cos your Stafford write ups are spot on but I'm sticking with 1993 on this one just to be awkward cos i know I wasn't as young as 24 xxx :P

Social source share

I'm eating a bit of humble pie here guys. I was wrong with saying deffo 94 as it was 93. I was 25...

The 'first time out' story is spot on but I am a year out of sink! Sorry x

And Chalky, Dave says I shouldn't disagree with you cos your Stafford write ups are spot on but I'm sticking with 1993 on this one just to be awkward cos i know I wasn't as young as 24 xxx :P

What's a year amongst friends :D. Early 90's will do :thumbsup:

Thank Dave for me, hope to see you both sometime soon.

Social source share

Dug out the anniversary tape where Rob put it on the compilation, 4th anniversary so that would be late 1993. He had played it first time out before and I bought it from him that night.

I kept it covered up untill Joan told me what it was one night at Congleton niter and suggested ( or was it insisted? :D ) I take the cover off to play that night.

img085.pdf

img086.pdf

• Helpful 1
Social source share

joan do u rem marks post in black echos about his sonny herman

Thanks for reminding us of that one Melv :P , thought that had disappeared into history.

I found it behind another record in a sleeve, could have crawled up my own backside with embaressment when I did!

In my defence I would say the Echoes ad did say something along the lines of if you've picked it up by accident then get in touch, though there was another more direct statement too as I thought it had been nicked.

Like Mrs M says, those were hectic days...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Yes defo 93 by Mr Marriot at Claremont hotel, but just wondered if Gnasher was spinning it too ? ...... Gotta add that in all my years on the scene the Claremont hotel was the best soul nite ive been to for quality upfront music ,Well done Acky & Mark you Bas$&^ds cost me a small fortune lol ....

Social source share

Well all I can say is hallelujah!!!

It's not picking a record apart Dave, it was just a matter of stating the facts and now we have them. My Proposal is too good to lose anything!

Great to see you on here Mark :) and fabulous to know you still have most of your collection too. Like Charlie Watson says, they were some of the best nights EVER for music policy and the quality of records played by TOP NOTCH DJ's.. best time of both mine and Micky Cruise's life on The Scene and didn't we all have the best of hectic days!

The Black Echoes add was funny (well it is now), you have to laugh about it mate. I've accused Dave of putting my records in his boxes and they were there in mine all along lol and that's not good when you think your husband's robbed you :huh:

Keep in touch. I'm back in touch with Jim, Lenny and Melv too now xxxx

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

Dug out the anniversary tape where Rob put it on the compilation, 4th anniversary so that would be late 1993. He had played it first time out before and I bought it from him that night.

I kept it covered up untill Joan told me what it was one night at Congleton niter and suggested ( or was it insisted? :D ) I take the cover off to play that night.

Insistent? Me? Showing off / trying to impress more like :lol:

Great days for sure and threads like this are just what you need at times to remind you :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Richie,

Hope your well,

All correct first played by the legendary Rob Marriott who then sold it to Mark Wilson who I think sold it to James Trouble as he doesn't have it now. Unfortunately I don't think Mark is on the scene much these days which is a real pity as he had fabulous records and taste.

As you say mine came from Shifty, before he went on one of his trips to America he asked me if there was a major want I was looking for and I told him if he saw a Soul Incorporated that I would buy it from.

Not really thinking he would get one I couldn't believe it when he phoned when he got back to say he had one for me which was really good of him as I dont know if he kept one for himself or not but if he did I never heard him play it out.

As you say Kenny never had one.

Keith

I have James Trouble copy now I bought it from him a few years back, it has about 5 glue marks on the run out which I presume would of been made by covering it up with a label. So I guess I have Rob & Marks old copy unless any of the other copies were C/U at any time. Been a great read and great to know the history of the copy I presume is the one I now have.

Bearsy

Social source share

5 glue marks???, its not the carver he had done with the dodgy scans is it. Lol

I have James Trouble copy now I bought it from him a few years back, it has about 5 glue marks on the run out which I presume would of been made by covering it up with a label. So I guess I have Rob & Marks old copy unless any of the other copies were C/U at any time. Been a great read and great to know the history of the copy I presume is the one I now have.

Bearsy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!