York Scooter Club Old Photo

Hey up H .....funny this comming up was round at Andy Hudsons on Wedensday and he was showing me his photos of scooter runs.

Wasnt into the scootering scene myself but do remember that exihibition scooter Stu Grayson had..around 1980ish.....do ya remember

it?

Edited by Dale
Social source share

Hey up H .....funny this comming up was round at Andy Hudsons on Wedensday and he was showing me his photos of scooter runs.

Wasnt into the scootering scene myself but do remember that exihibition scooter Stu Grayson had..around 1980ish.....do ya remember

it?

Hi Dale, yeh remember that one light blue vespa with couloured bubbles. Wasn`t on the scooter scene that long myself maybe only a couple of years but had some great times, great memories of Billy whizz r.i.p. Good days indeed :thumbsup:

Social source share

de04010xl5hl6.jpg

I use to have a black & white poster on my bedroom wall as a kid back in Scotland, it was of the Scarborough run in 1980 ? with pictures of lads from York Sc and Selby Top Rank Sc , how weird that years later I ended up working beside one of them , with the immortal line - I use to have you're poster on my bedroom wall !!!!!! :huh:

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

Guest madmarx

would be good to put some names to the photo :thumbsup:

Guess this was post road runners then as the helmets dont all look lime green ? I can see " Mr Mole" there top right ish, think they called him Steve and he was from up Huntington way i think, seem to remember he was a mate of Twinnie, nice lad .

Social source share

Guess this was post road runners then as the helmets dont all look lime green ? I can see " Mr Mole" there top right ish, think they called him Steve and he was from up Huntington way i think, seem to remember he was a mate of Twinnie, nice lad .

Yep Mr mole deffo there, Tom petch of course, think Spuggies also in the picture, been trying to put a name to a few myself over the past couple of days, lad called Brian waite is on there who i knew quite well, . Also remember the number plate on the lambretta at the front, but can`t remember who`s it was. Think this was taken in the days when we were based at either the White horse at poppleton or the Locomotive on holgate.

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Great photo. Are you in there H?

Hi Joan, if it was taken on a run, i`ll have probably been pushing my lambretta up the road :lol: would have been on the brid rally somewhere. Also the picture of the scooter club, it was about the time i joined so i`ll have been one of those in the background somewhere, you won`t see me anyway my parka was like a tent on me :lol: Hope your keeping ok hun :thumbsup:

Social source share

Harry I hope you are keeping well

I can see Tom Petch, Frank LLoyd, Andy Thorpe, Danny Small now lives in Swindon, John Bell, Rich Heilds RIP, Carl Vanderpeer, Mr Mole. I can see them but remembering there names. Great times like you say no B&B just doss bags, breaking into barns to doss in, dutch police trying to arrest you for vagrancy, climbing out of a secure yard at Scarborough police station by forming a human pyramid after being arrested. I was not all ways that lucky £1000 fine in Great Yarmouth, that was a lot of money back then in 83, in a special court held on a Sunday just got released in time to see Edwin Starr

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Harry I hope you are keeping well

I can see Tom Petch, Frank LLoyd, Andy Thorpe, Danny Small now lives in Swindon, John Bell, Rich Heilds RIP, Carl Vanderpeer, Mr Mole. I can see them but remembering there names. Great times like you say no B&B just doss bags, breaking into barns to doss in, dutch police trying to arrest you for vagrancy, climbing out of a secure yard at Scarborough police station by forming a human pyramid after being arrested. I was not all ways that lucky £1000 fine in Great Yarmouth, that was a lot of money back then in 83, in a special court held on a Sunday just got released in time to see Edwin Starr

Hi Andy, yeh i`m ok mate, i joined in 77/78 i think, [memory gone] i bought Toms my generation gp 200 for the unbelievable sum of £300 :ohmy: everyone thought i was mad :lol: :lol: . Went on a few runs between 77 and 79 then got more into the nighter scene. As you say had some great times, especially with Billy whizz [r,i,p.] in tow :yes: . Do you remember a lad called Nige Grimbley? think he died on of all things a Motorbike near the crematorium, he was Janet petch`s boyfriend if memory serves me right. Also Dave Horseman and his Yellow brick road Rally 200. Great days mate-H :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Andy, yeh i`m ok mate, i joined in 77/78 i think, [memory gone] i bought Toms my generation gp 200 for the unbelievable sum of £300 :ohmy: everyone thought i was mad :lol: :lol: . Went on a few runs between 77 and 79 then got more into the nighter scene. As you say had some great times, especially with Billy whizz [r,i,p.] in tow :yes: . Do you remember a lad called Nige Grimbley? think he died on of all things a Motorbike near the crematorium, he was Janet petch`s boyfriend if memory serves me right. Also Dave Horseman and his Yellow brick road Rally 200. Great days mate-H :thumbsup:

Harry, That'll be about the time of photo 77/78 Billy Whizz great character, on scooter runs with the BT's York's other Scooter Club and at niters. Nige and Janet I think were married, please forgive me I am wrong. Toms Petch's scooters or Projects were something else I would of been proud to of owned one You put a smile on my face when you mention Dave Horseman along with Spuggy and myself were at Brighton and some Southern West Ham MOD types took offense to my teeshirt "I'd rather push a Lambretta than ride a Vespa" anyway an argument started and Spuggy took a full helmet strait in the face form one of the youths and he didn't flinch then the whole area erupted into a York Vs South. It wasn't always like it, but it was not pretty when it did happen

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Harry, That'll be about the time of photo 77/78 Billy Whizz great character, on scooter runs with the BT's York's other Scooter Club and at niters. Nige and Janet I think were married, please forgive me I am wrong. Toms Petch's scooters or Projects were something else I would of been proud to of owned one You put a smile on my face when you mention Dave Horseman along with Spuggy and myself were at Brighton and some Southern West Ham MOD types took offense to my teeshirt "I'd rather push a Lambretta than ride a Vespa" anyway an argument started and Spuggy took a full helmet strait in the face form one of the youths and he didn't flinch then the whole area erupted into a York Vs South. It wasn't always like it, but it was not pretty when it did happen

Think we`d been to Southend Andy, was on the way back up the A1, when all of a sudden we saw hundreds of Choppers etc going south, anyway they must have seen us going north and turned round, we all pulled into a service station and all hell broke loose, there were hundreds of them, one of my endearing memories was seeing spuggy stood on his vespa [space oddity] seat swinging his full face crash hat round knocking them over. :ohmy: I was having a sort out in my mums shed a few months ago and came across one of them old YORK trailer mudflaps that we cut down to fit the back of the Lammy`s :lol: Great days mate :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Dale, yeh remember that one light blue vespa with couloured bubbles. Wasn`t on the scooter scene that long myself maybe only a couple of years but had some great times, great memories of Billy whizz r.i.p. Good days indeed :thumbsup:

Carl from Hull had that light blue vespa by 83, always loved Lil' Deuce Scoot - remember it was on the cover of one of the original Scootermanias - Hull was still full of some superb AFs when I was there at college 83-86 - Ace of Clubs and Masterblaster being my favourites (back then I always went to nighters on a scooter - unfortunately being skint so I could only afford one a month it was almost always just Peterborough along with Martin Midgley from Bradford and Striker) - I was in the Drifters for a short while before it finally broke up and went down to the mini rallies in the Castle Car Park in York - but was always, and always will be an Oxford Roadrunner at heart.

Dx

• Helpful 2
Social source share

York Scooter Club invasion of Germany. My Lambretta SX200 S type with every thing but the kitchen sink on it. You take the wife she takes everything

post-6352-0-50701700-1346451099_thumb.jp

Hi Andy, looks like your well packed up there lol, the times i took mine off the stand when loaded up like that and nearly dropped it :yes: Was just wondering if you remember a lad called Derek [Dekka] longhorn. In those days the extent of tuning was either a re-bore, ports polished, big exhaust or big carb. All ways remember Derek turning up one night with his new scooter, groundbreaking technology for the time a TAFFSPEED 5 SPEED GP :lol: :lol: he could never get it into 5th gear :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think the last time I saw Dekka was at his brothers wedding, I remember his "Taffspeed" but I didn't realise it was 5 speed I suppose if it had worked it would have court on. With todays technology I am surprised it's not a common add on the Tigra twin 250cc Lambretta.

The GP 200 The Dominator built by Reghams Motorcycles of York were renown for there tuned bikes of the 70's The Wildcat. My first scooter was a Supatune special TV 200 went to Wigan on that one and nipped a couple of times and I got lost God knows where in Bolton and ended up in scrap out side a chip shop and I got my sheep skin getting slashed by some moron, but I got my retribution.

Another scooter in the picture is Mala Woodward's "NOWHERE TO RUN" taken from the film The Warriors I think sung by the Mandrills. The side panels had a mural of the Baseball Furies, very apt for Mala because he used to like to dress either like them or the gang out of the Clockwork Orange.

They don't make bungee cords like those anymore! :lol:

How are you Paul still in York we will have to get together for a pint or two mate

Regards

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 6 years later...

Mick Riley here (YSC8 Carnaby Street Cruiser) middle Vespa at Brid photo ( Les Sanderson on back) anyone in the club at that time please let me know when next get together is would love to meet up with old battle buddies. Tom are you old enough to be in here.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!