The Supremes - (Artist Of The Week)

45cellar

Still have the copy my Mother bought on Stateside.

I Remember this so clearly as a 10 Year Old watching Doctor Who on TV

Daleks aside, Somehow this record made more of an Impression than the Beatles or The Stones.

My Sister a Beatles Fan, Her Boyfriend and Future Husband a Rolling Stones Fan.

Amongst ALL that High Profile Music Pressure.

It would be my Mothers records that started me on this wonderful collecting journey.

Motown_M-1066a_DJ.gifMotown_M-1066b_DJ.gif

Motown_M-1066a.gifMotown_M-1066b.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My Fave supremes is Misery makes its home

Also love this

And of course theres the rare version

In 1966, Detroit radio station WKNR ran a talent competition called "Record A Record With The Supremes".

The winner was a local blind local high school girl, Christine Schumacher, who went to the Golden World studio to add her vocals to Florence and Mary's, which had been cut earlier in the year (March 22nd).

The track had originally been intended for Chris Clark, and the Supremes version was scheduled for release as Motown 1101 B, before it was replaced by "Remove This Doubt, the B-side of You Keep Me Hanging On.

Motown had the song pressed and the radio station distributed them free as part of a promotion.

I was listening to that Christine Schumacher record only yesterday, after a slightly nervous beginning she does really well for a total amateur, great stuff.

Social source share

I was listening to that Christine Schumacher record only yesterday, after a slightly nervous beginning she does really well for a total amateur, great stuff.

I liked it first time of hearing - took ages chasing down a copy, then I bet its not been played since the week I bought it.

So many records - so little time (or is it so little money ?)

Derek

Social source share

In 1966, Detroit radio station WKNR ran a talent competition called "Record A Record With The Supremes".

The winner was a local blind local high school girl, Christine Schumacher, who went to the Golden World studio to add her vocals to Florence and Mary's, which had been cut earlier in the year (March 22nd).

Lovely story.

Social source share

Not quick enough or techy enough to supply scans/clips but "He's My Sunny Boy" is a long time favourite.

Oblivious to it on the flip of "Someday We'll Be Together" until I heard it on a Rare Groove tape from a West Indian pal in the early eighties. Great uncharacteristic brassy arrangement.

Love "Stormy" too.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Back when we were kids, we'd always play both sides of our records. Just because some record exec decided which was his favourite side, didn't mean we had to agree, so amongst my group of friends we'd have our own favourites, and of course Motown tracks were heavily featured.

Not sure exactly but about 25 years later I was looking to add something to my dj set from my own collection as a new purchase hadn't arrived in time, and in desperation I went through an old box I'd not bothered much with for years, and saw this Supremes 45 I remembered from my schooldays. I gave it a quick listen and it sounded a near perfect match to what I was playing, so that nite I tried it out at Albrighton. I was surprised by both the instant floor reaction and the number of people coming up afterwards asking what it was. I'd assumed everybody knew it. I played it all over in the following weeks and months, even at the 100 Club, same reactions.

It picked up life and because of availability took off all over, wherever folk judged tunes with their ears and not their wallets.

I think what's odd about is that if you know it's the Supremes then it definitely sounds like the Supremes, but when you hear it in a Northern Soul setting it sounds like a midtempo Northern track and not Motown

Social source share

An interesting cover version that Brad used to tell me would go if given spins -

Can we include joint efforts? if so, my favourite version of this song ( dunno which version was first so cant say whether it's a cover?) the interplay between male and female leads with silky backing singing, ooh err missus

One last cheating one. Seems so obvious once you've listened to this that this song should always have been made as a male/female duet ( with Bobby Taylor and Frank Wilson paws on it, I'm amazed it wasn't a radio turntable hit at the very least. Catch those brass lines underpinning Levi and Jean as they're unable to stop pulling on each others heart strings. Ah well, if they'd all been hits we'd have nothing to chase after 40 odd years later)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest Andy Carling

An interesting cover version that Brad used to tell me would go if given spins -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg0iAfilC-Y

Can we include joint efforts? if so, my favourite version of this song ( dunno which version was first so cant say whether it's a cover?) the interplay between male and female leads with silky backing singing, ooh err missus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlZdEIkiC04

One last cheating one. Seems so obvious once you've listened to this that this song should always have been made as a male/female duet ( with Bobby Taylor and Frank Wilson paws on it, I'm amazed it wasn't a radio turntable hit at the very least. Catch those brass lines underpinning Levi and Jean as they're unable to stop pulling on each others heart strings. Ah well, if they'd all been hits we'd have nothing to chase after 40 odd years later)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2JFUdgVNQ

Really like the Pat Lewis cover.

Edited by soul in the shed
Social source share

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Aaron Darcy

Two of my faves from this outfit thumbup.gif

DR Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine ' i have this on American International promo (b side blank) great tune quite hard to track down imo

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!