Soulboy Film Bbc2 Tonight

Ric-tic

Guest soul elite

That's my point, I did and i cant help but pick it to bits as it's poor. Or should we just gleefully accept poor films and not voice an opinion.

Script, characters, sets, editing, story; poor IMO but that's just my opinion, no need to head bang if you have a different one ;-)

I head bang all the time...haha.

I'm curious, are you equally as critical with every film you watch?

Social source share

are you equally as critical with every film you watch?

That is the whole point, why wouldn't you be! Why should this be judged any differently because it has nice music in it?

The fact this broke even probably purely due to lots of people going to see it due to a connection, often a very tenuous connection to the Northern scene meant better and more deserving films, in my opinion obviously, didn't get made, or don't get to distributors.

As someone that watches lots of films, and judges each one on how good it is, as a film. That pisses me off. The poor quality control in the Northern soul world should amaze but then......

The fact there are loads of people almost excusing its lack of any artistic merit, just makes me go apoplectic, in a calm collected manner as is my new way!

Social source share

Yes, yes and thrice yes :thumbup:

Steve

So on one hand you are saying it shouldn't be judged as a documentary, but in other hand you say it should be judged with the same historical significance as a documentary. confused.com

Thankfully Ken Loach et al didn't listen to their "mates" saying, who cares if its any good, its just a film

Social source share

don't really get the bit about "why there is a thread" on here at all

or the jees comment

think we had about all together 7 years worth of discussion etc on here

don't think this is the first mention of the film, but one of the first threads

Mike I love you, in a Celtic Manly only sort of way obviously! I have been looking for that thread for months to prove I was all in favour of this at early stages, and hey presto on page 5 there it so. So two friendly fingers to all who accused me of just being biased!

I don't suppose you could find my riposte to Dave Moore about his Just a Film comment, so I could just replay that to Mr H rather than type it out. If you do find that can you edit out Rod the Mod shameless bootleg of my humour. Sure the new officious Rod would be just embarrassed at his plagiarism!

Social source share

So on one hand you are saying it shouldn't be judged as a documentary, but in other hand you say it should be judged with the same historical significance as a documentary. confused.com

Thankfully Ken Loach et al didn't listen to their "mates" saying, who cares if its any good, its just a film

All I was trying to say was... someone had an idea for a film and based it around Northern. It's a fictional film and therefore doesn't have to be true to what we know as fact. I was simply trying to suggest that we take it in the context that the writers wanted... it's a fictional film. :yes: #

Steve

Social source share

Including the entire plot, soundtrack....

The people going to see it having the somewhat tenuous connection not the plot diddy. That connection in the film was the only consistent thing in the film, till the end.

PS see my two friendly fingers above. Now can you just accept I think, actually not I think it is, a crap film regardless of its NS friendly fire....

Edited by jocko
Social source share

All I was trying to say was... someone had an idea for a film and based it around Northern. It's a fictional film and therefore doesn't have to be true to what we know as fact. I was simply trying to suggest that we take it in the context that the writers wanted... it's a fictional film. :yes: #

Steve

And I am saying we should take it in the same context as any other fictional film regardless of its NS connection, which Byrney explains much more technically than I can, and when you do its a piss poor film and an embarrasment to writers the world over.

Why won't you actually listen rather than repeat.

Social source share

Guest soul elite

That is the whole point, why wouldn't you be! Why should this be judged any differently because it has nice music in it?

The fact this broke even probably purely due to lots of people going to see it due to a connection, often a very tenuous connection to the Northern scene meant better and more deserving films, in my opinion obviously, didn't get made, or don't get to distributors.

As someone that watches lots of films, and judges each one on how good it is, as a film. That pisses me off. The poor quality control in the Northern soul world should amaze but then......

The fact there are loads of people almost excusing its lack of any artistic merit, just makes me go apoplectic, in a calm collected manner as is my new way!

All I'll say it that watching a film with you must be a flipping misery!

Social source share

And I am saying we should take it in the same context as any other fictional film regardless of its NS connection, which Byrney explains much more technically than I can, and when you do its a piss poor film and an embarrasment to writers the world over.

Why won't you actually listen rather than repeat.

Jocko,

As per your footer, I'm not going to argue with you :P

Steve

Social source share

All I'll say it that watching a film with you must be a flipping misery!

I am the same when I go shopping, right misery, always making sure the clothes are the right fit right colour and right length before I buy them rather than just picking up the first thing in shop and saying ah its just a shirt.....

Its amazing this worrying about the quality of things, I must get help.

Social source share

Jocko,

As per your footer, I'm not going to argue with you :P

Steve

I don't even know why I am arguing any more, its gone. Off to see the latest film out this week, much more relevant.

I do have a ready made answer to you that involves chat shows, a flame thrower a grenade and Dave Moore, but if Mikes search doesn't come up, we can agree to disagree.

Social source share

Mike I love you, in a Celtic Manly only sort of way obviously! I have been looking for that thread for months to prove I was all in favour of this at early stages, and hey presto on page 5 there it so. So two friendly fingers to all who accused me of just being biased!

I don't suppose you could find my riposte to Dave Moore about his Just a Film comment, so I could just replay that to Mr H rather than type it out. If you do find that can you edit out Rod the Mod shameless bootleg of my humour. Sure the new officious Rod would be just embarrassed at his plagiarism!

its a big ask, as usually after 5 mins of trawling thru old threads I end staring out the window with a far off look in my eyes for half the day

so here are

can search for the term

"just a film" if you use the double quotes it should take you to 11 threads

or if want real hardcore flashbacks use this link

Social source share

I don't even know why I am arguing any more, its gone. Off to see the latest film out this week, much more relevant.

I do have a ready made answer to you that involves chat shows, a flame thrower a grenade and Dave Moore, but if Mikes search doesn't come up, we can agree to disagree.

On this occasion I'll say yes although I have my concerns what you are doing with a grenade. Dave Moore chained up in the cellar I can cope with. The flame thrower, well anyone can make those... watch any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie and... oh shite, I'm on to movies again. As far as chat shows go I hear the replacement for Loose Women is called "Soulgirls"... talk about the latest bootlegs, fashions (and don't for f*cks sake get me started on that one again) and 60's versus 70's. I'll offer my hand out... fool!!! :D

Steve

Edited by soulman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The people going to see it having the somewhat tenuous connection not the plot diddy. That connection in the film was the only consistent thing in the film, till the end.

PS see my two friendly fingers above. Now can you just accept I think, actually not I think it is, a crap film regardless of its NS friendly fire....

I accept that, and I also think it's a very average film.

Social source share

On this occasion I'll say yes although I have my concerns what you are doing with a grenade. Dave Moore chained up in the cellar I can cope with. The flame thrower, well anyone can make those... watch any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie and... oh shite, I'm on to movies again. As far as chat shows go I hear the replacement for Loose Women is called "Soulgirls"... talk about the latest bootlegs, fashions (and don't for f*cks sake get me started on that one again) and 60's versus 70's. I'll offer my hand out... fool!!! :D

Steve

Why don't you two have a Dance Off to sort this out :)

Social source share

Guest lofthope

I first came across this film at Berlinale film festival where sales agents were pre-selling it internationally, so I asked about it. It's working title was 'Souled Out'. I kept asking people involved about its progress but it dragged on and on because aparently there were problems with it. It had a negative vibe long before it was even finished...and clearly the Wigan out-takes were put in to patch it together.

When it came out, everyone who saw it told me it was poor.

So by the time I saw it I was expecting something as pathetic as Eastenders or Waterloo Road. Actually it vwasn't as bad as them, indeed, as bad as I expected it to be it was still better than a lot of the junk served up on TV. It even had a few amusing moments, as a film it kept me entertained for an hour and a half and was OK. However, it was clearly not made by people with Northern Soul close enough to their heart and this, sadly, shines through. You need to watch it without your Northern Soul head on to enjoy it.

I'm sure soldiers find war movies fake, cops probably cringe at crime movies and I've yet to see any filmmaker recreate a football match convincingly. Making a film about Northen Soul is always going to be difficult.

We all await Elaine Constantine's film with eager anticipation. She has spent ages training dancers to look authentic, I've seen clips and it works...it will look good I'm sure. But as accurate as it will look, it is impossible to get it completely accurate, and even if you did, us old gits with hazy memories would dispute it!

Good point made earlier about Quadrophenia. I have always thought it was a poor movie and cringed as they made a film about 1964 whilst filming lots of 1970s cars down the Goldhawk Road. But lots of people enjoyed it and it helped inspire a mod revival, so where's the harm in that?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!