Articles: Linda Jones - (Artist Of The Week)

45cellar

Phenomenal Artist! like many... died too young, her Loma stuff will be posted for sure, but just getting away from that (but staying with George Kerr) would like to post the following three tracks.

"I'm Taking Back My Love"

https://youtu.be/mK8wXCb07iE

"Ooh Baby You Move Me"

https://youtu.be/2WQzkkUEHYQ

"I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow"

https://youtu.be/JymfTDdAPKU

steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Another great topic. IMHO Linda jones is THE greatest lady soul singer ever.i was introduced to her tunes in the 70's by my best mate (rug) Bowers(sadly RIP) he had collected all her stuff and I was hooked.

Just can't live my life is my all time fav

Andy

Edited by AndyL
Social source share

I know I've posted up a pic of the Japanese issue of, 'Hypnotised'/'I Can't Stop Loving My Baby', before but yesterday I was lucky enough to come across this incredible looking beauty within a huge and amazing collection of Soul 45s (US, Euro & Japanese), and the guy was kind enough to allow me to add it to my Japanese press collection...well, I needed this one to go with my stock copy, right!?

:thumbup:

post-9555-0-59849500-1346685677_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Worth noting; Joe Robinson, of All Platinum Records (the husband of Sylvia) who owned all the Turbo, Stang, Vibration, Stang material, said that, as Linda had worked for a while in the firms office in Englewood, she was in the studio, recording, all the time and that he had around 3.5 albums worth of unreleased material in the can on her.

Neither Joe or Sylvia are around any more - and the studio burnt down in 2002.

In the mid 90's Rhino were reported to have bought the back catalogue and unreleased Master recordings from the estate.

I've often wondered what happened to those tapes... and will they ever see the light of day!

:g:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Worth noting; Joe Robinson, of All Platinum Records (the husband of Sylvia) who owned all the Turbo, Stang, Vibration, Stang material, said that, as Linda had worked for a while in the firms office in Englewood, she was in the studio, recording, all the time and that he had around 3.5 albums worth of unreleased material in the can on her.

Neither Joe or Sylvia are around any more - and the studio burnt down in 2002.

In the mid 90's Rhino were reported to have bought the back catalogue and unreleased Master recordings from the estate.

I've often wondered what happened to those tapes... and will they ever see the light of day!

Sean

Do you believe it Sean ? - across the four Turbo albums and all the 45's there was only about 18 tracks used - I'm sure if they had other material they would of used at least some of it at the time if not to cash in later. Would be nice though :thumbsup:

Social source share

It is a nice thought Mike.

Although Joe Robinson was a bit of a player, I've no reason to doubt what he said back in '73, so I've been curious about this for a long time.

"Linda was a girl who was very close to me. She's the only artist that I have a picture of in my office, of all the artists we have. And that picture was up there before she died. Linda was a great artist; I think she was one of the greatest. And she would have been tremendously big, big. She died of sugar diabetes.

She was brought to me by George Kerr, who was her producer. She was doing nothing up in Rochester, up-state New York, and I sent one of my promotion men up there to get her. He brought her back here and I put her on staff here. That was we could make sure she could eat right and try to get her health back together. We put her in the hospital here, too. When she came out, we had her in the office every day to keep an eye on her. In fact, that's the reason why we have so much stuff cut on her because she was here every day.

We've got maybe three or three and a half albums on her yet."

Both Joe & Sylvia long gone. So where are those tapes now? Did they survive the fire? Are they sitting in a vault somewhere?

I guess Sanctuary Records / Castle now have the All Platinum rights. They put out the previously unreleased Heartstoppers, but would they have the tapes for Linda?

Sean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

the lp that came out on the loma series was a total eye opener for me........by far the best of the 7 in the series .................. the lady had an achingly wonderful voice contrasting wonderfully with the niter sounds i was listening to at the same time ............masterpieces of soul

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just for fun... About 10 years back, I was experimenting with stereoscopic 3D photography and worked out you could get the same effect with digital images and not just photos you'd taken. So using a scan I'd done of Linda's classic publicity photo, I made a 3D pic. Not much good if you don't have anaglyph glasses, but if you do, it works rather well! 

LindaJones-3D-web.jpg.f3ded9923b120be1a400903134f4bfdd.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!