Whats Going On With Our Postal Service

Dave Pinch

a couple of weeks ago i sent a couple of lps to ireland he got them eventually but not before they went to australia. now this week a package sent to belgium ended up in india.is it me just having this strange run of luck or has anyone else had this happen

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

a couple of weeks ago i sent a couple of lps to ireland he got them eventually but not before they went to australia. now this week a package sent to belgium ended up in india.is it me just having this strange run of luck or has anyone else had this happen

Dave

The British postal system is a joke at the moment , the amount of stuff i send out which goes awol then turns up months later .

Social source share

Nothing really to do with posting 45s but Im a bit pissed off at PO service.

Moved into a new flat. I get mail for previous occupants. I collar my postman and tell him there's only me here now. Dont post anything else.

That appears to work for a while but then postman changes. I start getting mail that's not mine again. I leave the mail for the new postman with a note explaining situation. It's still there after he has delivered so I get hold of him in person.

Seems first postman was sifting the mail unofficially. I ask him who do I contact to sort it. He's vague on detail. So phone up Royal Mail customer services.

There appears to be nothing I can do other than put it in a postbox with "Not at this address". Mail is delivered to address NOT name of occupant. Eventually the mail for previous occupants will dry up. Rather unsatisfactory IMO. Seems I can throw this mail away too but I can't open it. Not that I'd want to.

Obv if previous tenants had left a re-direction with the Sorting Office wouldn't have this problem.

Right now it's cost me a phone call plus I have to put mail in postbox. Nearest is a mile away.

You'd think there'd be some easy way just to stop the mail that is not mine.

ROD

Social source share

Today I had a record returned THAT I posted last friday 31st.

MAIN ADDRESS (UK) was in VERY LARGE WRITING

I ALWAYS put my address on the back - Sender- SMALL Writing

Just been back to Post Office to try again.

That's happened to me a couple of times. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Moved into a new flat. I get mail for previous occupants. I collar my postman and tell him there's only me here now. Dont post anything else.

That appears to work for a while but then postman changes. I start getting mail that's not mine again. I leave the mail for the new postman with a note explaining situation. It's still there after he has delivered so I get hold of him in person.

Seems first postman was sifting the mail unofficially. I ask him who do I contact to sort it. He's vague on detail. So phone up Royal Mail customer services.

There appears to be nothing I can do other than put it in a postbox with "Not at this address". Mail is delivered to address NOT name of occupant. Eventually the mail for previous occupants will dry up. Rather unsatisfactory IMO. Seems I can throw this mail away too but I can't open it. Not that I'd want to.

Obv if previous tenants had left a re-direction with the Sorting Office wouldn't have this problem.

Right now it's cost me a phone call plus I have to put mail in postbox. Nearest is a mile away.

ROD

You should be able to get in touch with your local delivery office and tell them exactly which names you wish mail to be delivered to at your address,it is the managers' responsibility to ensure that a notice is put on the correct sorting frame detailing this.Hope this helps.
Social source share

Oh, don`t get me started... currently waiting for a 45 to be returned to me as royal post cant seem to find the adress. The website tracking says its still in the uk..since months by now already! Already started an inquiry via German Post. On the other hand waiting for a 45 purchased since end of june..almost identical situation. And just this friday I got a 45 returned that was send out July 4th!! Again they (Royal Post) said adress cant be found..strange as I did send a replacement copy to the happy buyer to the very same adress which did make it there..

The postal system...sure ain`t what it used to be.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Just had a record that I posted to Austria sent to Australia - might prove to be an interesting thread..

A while back sent a package to the Netherlands.

Arrived eventually - via the Netherlands Antilles!! :dash2:

From the other side - was working at a company once and we had to do a mail shot to a couple of hundred people, including reply paid envelopes.

So pile of letters and envelopes given to office junior to send out.

You guessed it - 200 letters inserted in reply-paid envelopes and dropped in the post box. :D :D

MB

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

ROD

There is no way,

The Sender has paid for the item to be delivered therefore RM have a legal obligation to deliver the mail to address, down to occupier to endorse letters for return to sender. RM can not choose what it does and doesn't deliver. Your postman may be doing you a favour, but it is one that he could be sacked for.

Social source share

Agree julesp1905.

I like the way Rod says he can 'throw this mail away' & later says ' I have to put mail in postbox' - contradiction.

Also it's all well contacting RM stating what names you want delivered to your home until you have guests or letters with names not correctly written.

Social source share

It's not a contradiction.

I was told by customer service at RM I can throw them away but I cant open them.

I'd rather the mail got to whom it was addressed to so Im putting them in the postbox with "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS" marked on envelope.

I contacted RM who told me this.

Jules I think is a postman and has summed it up. Im stuck with sorting it out at the cost of my telephone bill and my time, unless Pilgrim's suggestion works out.

ROD

Social source share

You need to read what you wrote again. You said 'throw this mail away' & then said later 'I have to put mail in postbox' - you can't do both so it is a contradiction.

The mail won't get to who it is addressed to by writing 'NOT AT THIS ADDRESS' on it & putting it in a postbox, it will eventually go back to the sender which is the best outcome.

Your beef is with the person who use to live in your flat not your postman & yes i am a Postman.

Social source share

Exactly. I thought that was self-evident. That's why Im amazed I cant do anything to sort out with postman/sorting office. Sorting office have the mail to return and I assume a rudimentary system where mail is half sorted. What's the point of me putting in postbox for it to be collected and sorted again starting from scratch.. I too was a postman working at Manchester main sorting office.

If it goes back to sender there is chance it will eventually reach recipient. Recipents may get in touch with banks etc if not catalogue companies they owe money too.

I see what you mean about contradiction. No I dont HAVE TO put mail in postbox. I can throw it away but some of it is Tesco vouchers and what looks like credit cards. But I do have to re-post if I dont want to throw it away.

ROD

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

DONT GET ME STARTED ON AUSSIE WANKER POSTMEN. JUST MAKE SURE ANYTHING SENT HERE IS PACKED WELL, VERY WELL. i have had them left in the rain, sun, smashed, bent . people say get a p.o box which i will end up doing, but hang on a dang minute what are we paying for already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are there any postmen on the site who may shed light on these problems

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

It's not a contradiction.

I was told by customer service at RM I can throw them away but I cant open them.

I'd rather the mail got to whom it was addressed to so Im putting them in the postbox with "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS" marked on envelope.

I contacted RM who told me this.

Jules I think is a postman and has summed it up. Im stuck with sorting it out at the cost of my telephone bill and my time, unless Pilgrim's suggestion works out.

ROD

I'll give the same advice to you that i give to my customers, bin what doesn't look important, few companies remove addresses from their databases as marketing managers are targeted with sending out x amount in a mailshot, they don't like losing numbers. and return anything that looks important, though i doubt that will be much as people always change the financial details with their banks etc. 99.9 percent of whats coming through your door is just mailshots.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!