Soul Club Names? Help Wanted

Andreas B

I think of teen beat bands and a general aesthetic of amateur 60's rock n' roll and rhythm & blues sounds, perhaps with a bit more fuzz and recklessness than, say, classic 60's northern. I should note that I'm in no means a pro on this stuff, as I handle the soul end of our club exclusively. :)

but getting me...or probably anyone on this forum...started on 60's soul, thats another story. :hypo:

Social source share

I think of teen beat bands and a general aesthetic of amateur 60's rock n' roll and rhythm & blues sounds, perhaps with a bit more fuzz and recklessness than, say, classic 60's northern. I should note that I'm in no means a pro on this stuff, as I handle the soul end of our club exclusively. :)

but getting me...or probably anyone on this forum...started on 60's soul, thats another story. :hypo:

Mmm sounds a bit late kinks psycodelic stuff to n me

Just that I've never in 43 years of listening to soul music heard the term 6ts gsrage

Learn somethink new everyday ;)

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Bit off of topic but what is or was 6ts garage?

Spike - it's a good question.

I was musically aware from the very early 60's on and absolutely don't recall it being used back then.

This is confirmed on Wikipedia which says:

During the 1960s, it was not recognized as a separate music genre and had no specific name. In the late 1970s, some rock critics retroactively identified it as an early incarnation of punk rock, and it is sometimes called garage punk, protopunk, or 1960s punk; however, the music style has predominantly been referred to as garage rock.

As if life wasn't already complicated enough!! :rofl::hypo:

MB

Social source share

another place to look for names (instead of song titles) is label names. i just started a night here in california called "The Bump Shop" (late 60s soul / early 70s funk / gritty R&B). i wanted it to appeal to younger non-soul fans who just want to dance...

where in California? I'm originally from San Diego, now living in Denmark but have lived around the state a bit too.

Bump Shop is a killer name, and depending on the scene surrounding the place hosting it could have a double meaning if you catch my drift

Social source share

where in California? I'm originally from San Diego, now living in Denmark but have lived around the state a bit too.

Bump Shop is a killer name, and depending on the scene surrounding the place hosting it could have a double meaning if you catch my drift

i am in the monterey peninsula area. it is not exactly a big "scene" town (no big college or anything), but we get some late-20s to mid-30s people out (there are a number of graduate schools and military officer schools here).

i stress both "lounge" style mid-tempo/deep soul (like Spencer Wiggins "lonely man", Eddie Floyd "holding on with both hands") to dance stuff (Lillian Hale "boom boom", Dee Edwards "why can't there be love"). its a hoot!

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

Spike - it's a good question.

I was musically aware from the very early 60's on and absolutely don't recall it being used back then.

This is confirmed on Wikipedia which says:

As if life wasn't already complicated enough!! :rofl::hypo:

MB

you guys don't know "garage rock"????? it is so much fun!!!

i think of it this way. black R&B artists from the 50s and 60s were copied by white british groups (kinks, spencer davis, beatles etc) - and then white suburban teens in america try and copy that, but in a very crude, raucous way. it is also closely related to "frat rock" and "freak beat." it also was born around the same time as surf.

the BEST popular garage band is the SONICS

sonics - have love will travel

or the fabulous wailers

wailers - mashi

the white stripes came from the detroit garage-revival scene (along the Von Bondies, the Hentchmen, etc) and Ohio (where i am originally from) has a lot of garage revival bands (the Long-Gones, the Pariahs, the In-Sect, the Greenhornes, etc)

from england, a famous garage type bands is the Headcoats

there is nothing more fun than a drunken basement show of garage bands...

ps - if you are responsible for my funeral arrangements, play the Sonics version of the old huey piano smith song "don't you just know it".....

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Nothing but good memories of Copenhagen and its inhabitants - having done a bit of work there in the late 80's.

I remember all those green (verdigris) towers and domes. I definitely have a photo of the one in your logo (Christianshavn district?) in an old album.

Best of luck.

MB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!