Skip Jackson A: I'm On To You Girl B: Promise That You'll Wait

Recordlurv

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Got this record for peanuts in a batch of 'un-desired' soul 45's from a UK scouterist while the 'Im on to you' side was still a somehow left-field northern soul kinda tune some 20 years ago. And the 'promise that you'll wait' was not even considered by many then. I kept this 45 for the 'promise' side as a 'guilty secret love affair. Never and still not bothered with the actual real 'A' side. If it was not for the 'promise' side, it would simply have find it's way in my sales box.

The 'promise that you''ll wait' IS A 5 stars TUNE ! I Always loved IT and appreciated IT before loving it. Even more and MORE after playing it home through time. It just grows and grows and doesn't wear out. I was indeed surprised by the tagged prices it commanded after getting it for nuthings. It actually does seem to be less rare than in-demand (quote Boba), I agree on that.

Now I just 'youtubed' Skip 'promise' to check my next question and discovered that there is a Michael LIZZMORE version on Capitol wich is a descent 1972 cover version of 'promise'! Cool !

BUT in the end, I'll really stick with Skip version ! HE IS TOTALLY ROOT ! Michael is like stated on youtube; 'clean'.

Now, a last thing and I can't put my finger on (help welcome) anymore, but there is another record tune commending bigger money (200-400) using other lyrics and titles on the same horns riffs 'poo pah pah poo doo dooh'. I can't recall if it uses exactly the same backing track or not anymore. But then wich I remember was released on another major-major or smallER-major label. Anyone pictures it ?

Social source share

i`m doubly shocked :ohmy: :ohmy:

on two label designs if i think on.. one rare couloured thing and a plain yellow/orange one which is commoner about £125 but has gone for more as fashion dictates...a great 2 sider

Bought this in 90 for the side " Promise That You'll Wait " think I was with a good friend at the time! ( superb )

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!