Would The Scene Die If There Were No Longer Vinyl

Every single record isn't available digitally...and they won't be cause there's many you won't get. And where do you think all these digital files came from in the first place, yes from records belonging to collectors. Without them the scene and the internet collecting scene would be f*cked IMO. Where do the majority of the audio files come from on your site?

comes across derogatory and disrespectful to me

Chalky, I'm not stupid, of course I know someone someplace had to own the record somewhere along the line. Singeling out my website has nothing to do with this arguement really. Or may be it does. Perhaps the thousands of visitors I enjoy wouldn't even have heard of half of the songs if my site hadn't existed. Every record IS available as a digital file, it's just that it hasn't been captured yet.

Yes, the record has to be owned by someone and yes it has to be shared. Isn't the internet a wonderful place for those that don't have a spare 300 quid to spend on one record!

Social source share

• Replies 125
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

None that would be looking forward to their next nighter, next weekender, next time they heard the records again.

Erm... right.. well I know people who've got into the scene recently and keep coming back, wanting to hear and know more. Of course there'll always be those for whom it's a passing phase and they lose interest.. but have you actually spoken to any of these 'newbies'? I do agree that the scene will probably shrink considerably in the next 5-10 years but to say that none of the people that are getting into it now will 'take it seriously' is just condescending IMO.

As for if there was no longer vinyl... well it wouldn't be the same scene :D

Social source share

Chalky, I'm not stupid, of course I know someone someplace had to own the record somewhere along the line. Singeling out my website has nothing to do with this arguement really. Or may be it does. Perhaps the thousands of visitors I enjoy wouldn't even have heard of half of the songs if my site hadn't existed. Every record IS available as a digital file, it's just that it hasn't been captured yet.

Yes, the record has to be owned by someone and yes it has to be shared. Isn't the internet a wonderful place for those that don't have a spare 300 quid to spend on one record!

If it hasn't been captured then it ain't digital....is it? There's plenty that won't get captured as well.

As for your site and the visitors you enjoy? Where did you get the files from...record from your collection? Don't want to single out any site in particulkar but nas you was the one I was replying to yours was convenient. What I'm saying if it wasn't for those collectors who are willing to share their collections digitally, you and other sites wouldn't have a site for others to enjoy. Instead of giving those credit for the records on your site you call them elitist!

Social source share

Erm... right.. well I know people who've got into the scene recently and keep coming back, wanting to hear and know more. Of course there'll always be those for whom it's a passing phase and they lose interest.. but have you actually spoken to any of these 'newbies'? I do agree that the scene will probably shrink considerably in the next 5-10 years but to say that none of the people that are getting into it now will 'take it seriously' is just condescending IMO.

As for if there was no longer vinyl... well it wouldn't be the same scene :D

I am a massive promoter of soul to newbies and whilst all of them say yes, it's a great sound, none of them follow it through or do more than listen to cd's I provide. I would say I have seen more people acknowledge and like the sound than actually embrace and become ebroiled.

Social source share

If it hasn't been captured then it ain't digital....is it? There's plenty that won't get captured as well.

As for your site and the visitors you enjoy? Where did you get the files from...record from your collection? Don't want to single out any site in particulkar but nas you was the one I was replying to yours was convenient. What I'm saying if it wasn't for those collectors who are willing to share their collections digitally, you and other sites wouldn't have a site for others to enjoy. Instead of giving those credit for the records on your site you call them elitist!

I meant that it IS available to be digital, it just hasn't been captured yet( and there aren't that many that would be so popular).. but I'm sure you knew what I meant. Lets surmise that no northern soul was available on the internet, where would your beloved record collection be then without the online reference it enjoys now. It would be long dead of that I'm sure.. You can slag off the internet based music as much as you like chalky, and why not, you're the one spending hundreds of pounds on records that I can listen to for free... however, none of your arguements are really valid now are they because the collections were there moons ago that have since been captured and are now being enjoyed by thousands of people irrespective of what my site offers.. they're all available on legitimate CD compilations. Do we now need individual record collectors to unearth new sounds? I doubt it.

Social source share

I am a massive promoter of soul to newbies and whilst all of them say yes, it's a great sound, none of them follow it through or do more than listen to cd's I provide. I would say I have seen more people acknowledge and like the sound than actually embrace and become ebroiled.

In your first sentence you say 'none' then in your second you say more just like it than embrace it fully, that means some do - make your mind up! Thankfully there are some who've been into this for a few months to a few years who are very passionate about the whole scene and carrying it on as long as they can.

Social source share

I meant that it IS available to be digital, it just hasn't been captured yet( and there aren't that many that would be so popular).. but I'm sure you knew what I meant. Lets surmise that no northern soul was available on the internet, where would your beloved record collection be then without the online reference it enjoys now. It would be long dead of that I'm sure.. You can slag off the internet based music as much as you like chalky, and why not, you're the one spending hundreds of pounds on records that I can listen to for free... however, none of your arguements are really valid now are they because the collections were there moons ago that have since been captured and are now being enjoyed by thousands of people irrespective of what my site offers.. they're all available on legitimate CD compilations. Do we now need individual record collectors to unearth new sounds? I doubt it.

Do you seriously think that all my collection is on the internet and will be in future? I doubt it very much. And I can promise you there are plenty and I mean plenty of quality records that aren't digitalized and more than likely won't be as well. There are also plenty that haven't been put to cd yet, many of the top collections from top DJ's are not available.

Maybe I should stop sharing stuff for you to glean off for free.

Social source share

Do we now need individual record collectors to unearth new sounds? I doubt it.

probably the candidate for the days most stupid comment :D makes you wonder why collectors bother in the first place, why promoters bother promoting progressive venues and continue pushing this scene forward.

The stuff that comes out on cd is usually fom back catalogues of labels already in the public domain or owned by companies like Ace. There are many records out there from collectors that aren't on cd and probably more than likely won't be, one off's, studeo acetates etc etc. People like Ady Croasdell, Tim Brown are collectors. Ady plays many records in his sets not available on cd. Same can be said for Tim, Butch, Andy Dyson and so on.

Social source share

In your first sentence you say 'none' then in your second you say more just like it than embrace it fully, that means some do - make your mind up! Thankfully there are some who've been into this for a few months to a few years who are very passionate about the whole scene and carrying it on as long as they can.

Trying to box clever on a play on my words doesn't work Rachel. We're talking about the longevity of the music here, not the history of those that hold it dear already. Don't tell me to make up my mind when you'res is already made up! You almost insinuate that I am not passionate at all... how little you know me. I am more than passionate about carrying it on.. which is my whole arguement about the vynil thing... it's not a mass fantasy, it's a niche... the sound is what will carry it on and the passion, not the plastic.

Who's going to unearth them then? :D

Not individuals per say.... try cd producers.

Social source share

Not individuals per say.... try cd producers.

second candidate for the days most stupid comment :D How many records on cds, and I'm talking new discoveries, make it to be major spins on the scene?

You probably do as much damage to the cd producers as anyone. Offering all their hard work free for others to download.

Social source share

Do you seriously think that all my collection is on the internet and will be in future? I doubt it very much. And I can promise you there are plenty and I mean plenty of quality records that aren't digitalized and more than likely won't be as well. There are also plenty that haven't been put to cd yet, many of the top collections from top DJ's are not available.

Maybe I should stop sharing stuff for you to glean off for free.

Perhaps not, some of your collection might be crap in other peoples ears. You are just displaying sour grapes because you own records and people are enjoying the same thing having spent nothing?

Perhaps I should stop sharing stuff I glean off for free.. why? It doesn't benefit me chalky, not at all, in fact it costs me money but you don't hear me bitching about that. Im all to glad to spend the money to provide this wonderful sound to those that might not have any idea what it is let alone what to buy. Whats quite your beef with me Im not entirely sure and to be quite honest I couldnt give a flying saucer. Put your sour grapes in the bin and be glad there are people out there trying to educate others to this wonderful sound without boasting they OWN the original record. That's not important really, except to the chosen few, to coin a phrase.

I hope you didn't post in the soul jukebox thread or what ever it was.. I do believe there was quite a hefty contingent that chanted the return of that very site.

second candidate for the days most stupid comment :D How many records on cds, and I'm talking new discoveries, make it to be major spins on the scene?

You probably do as much damage to the cd producers as anyone. Offering all their hard work free for others to download.

Trying to justify your overpriced record collection are we?

Social source share

Trying to box clever on a play on my words doesn't work Rachel. We're talking about the longevity of the music here, not the history of those that hold it dear already. Don't tell me to make up my mind when you'res is already made up! You almost insinuate that I am not passionate at all... how little you know me. I am more than passionate about carrying it on.. which is my whole arguement about the vynil thing... it's not a mass fantasy, it's a niche... the sound is what will carry it on and the passion, not the plastic.

I have no doubt that you're passionate about the music. But saying that none of the people who have recently discovered the scene feel the same passion is just not true!

The progression of the scene, as far as I know, has always involved finding new tunes, which haven't been played before... and that isn't going to happen on the internet.

Social source share

I'm sorry to dissappoint you Rachel, in my experience I have not found people that have stuck to it and attended regularly or irregularly. Just how many have you initiated in recent years then?

Progression happens as fast as the fans want it to happen... and why on earth can't that be achieved on the internet? Everything else is.

Social source share

Perhaps not, some of your collection might be crap in other peoples ears. You are just displaying sour grapes because you own records and people are enjoying the same thing having spent nothing?

Perhaps I should stop sharing stuff I glean off for free.. why? It doesn't benefit me chalky, not at all, in fact it costs me money but you don't hear me bitching about that. Im all to glad to spend the money to provide this wonderful sound to those that might not have any idea what it is let alone what to buy. Whats quite your beef with me Im not entirely sure and to be quite honest I couldnt give a flying saucer. Put your sour grapes in the bin and be glad there are people out there trying to educate others to this wonderful sound without boasting they OWN the original record. That's not important really, except to the chosen few, to coin a phrase.

I hope you didn't post in the soul jukebox thread or what ever it was.. I do believe there was quite a hefty contingent that chanted the return of that very site.

Trying to justify your overpriced record collection are we?

Maybe it is crap to some, but it's to my ears that my collection matters, after all I buy them for my benefit.

Sour grapes. No sour grapes here, done more than my fair share me thinks to promote Northern Soul, here and elsewhere. I done more than my fair share to help educate others to this wonderful music and will continue to do so for as long as I have something to offer or until I'm told to go away :D And I never boast, not in my nature. And I've no beef with you whatsoever just with some of the comments you made.

And as for trying to justify my "over priced collection"....laughable comment :D I don't have to justify anything to anyone.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I'm sorry to dissappoint you Rachel, in my experience I have not found people that have stuck to it and attended regularly or irregularly. Just how many have you initiated in recent years then?

Progression happens as fast as the fans want it to happen... and why on earth can't that be achieved on the internet? Everything else is.

Internet 0 - Vinyl ? :D

Social source share

Maybe it is crap to some, but it's to my ears that my collection matters, after all I buy them for my benefit.

Sour grapes. No sour grapes here, done more than my fair share me thinks to promote Northern Soul, here and elsewhere. I done more than my fair share to help educate others to this wonderful music and will continue to do so for as long as I have something to offer or until I'm told to go away :D And I never boast, not in my nature. And I've no beef with you whatsoever just with some of the comments you made.

.... and me with some of the comments you made too chalky. It would seem that we are both here for very same reason then. You spend money on buying records.. I spend money on rolling it out to others that cannot afford to buy the individual records... seems like a fair trade to me. From the point of view of the appreciative listeners that is and from the point of view of the artistes I receive emails from ecstatic that their recordings are on the internet. Truce?

Internet 0 - Vinyl ? :D

You're in the wrong argument you belligerent naughty boy :D

Social source share

I didn't realise it was a recruitment competition. I've only been 'seriously' going out on the soul scene for a few years, but, well, I've stuck around, and I have met people who have got into it more recently than that and now attend events regularly. Yes I have done tapes etc for 'newer' newbies to let them hear tunes they haven't heard before.

Certainly wouldn't downplay the usefulness of the net in getting to hear lots of tunes, but they can't get on there without someone finding the record first! Even in my relative inexperience I've heard stuff - played out and from other collectors - which I can guarantee you is not on there anywhere.

And to be honest I'm glad some of it's not - for example, there was a 30 sec clip of Butch's Jean Carter c/up on here a while back. I love it, but no doubt if I had the whole track on mp3 I'd play it to death and get bored with it. Only hearing tracks like that occasionally keeps them fresh, keeps people going out to hear particular DJs, and makes hearing it a great adrenalin-rushing, dragging you onto the dancefloor moment... which is surely what it's all about?

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Having worked in a record shop for a few years now i would suggest that more people are made aware of soul music by the use of samples by artists like Fatboy Slim or compilations like the one by Andy Smith than anything else.

Derek

Social source share

I didn't realise it was a recruitment competition. I've only been 'seriously' going out on the soul scene for a few years, but, well, I've stuck around, and I have met people who have got into it more recently than that and now attend events regularly. Yes I have done tapes etc for 'newer' newbies to let them hear tunes they haven't heard before.

Certainly wouldn't downplay the usefulness of the net in getting to hear lots of tunes, but they can't get on there without someone finding the record first! Even in my relative inexperience I've heard stuff - played out and from other collectors - which I can guarantee you is not on there anywhere.

And to be honest I'm glad some of it's not - for example, there was a 30 sec clip of Butch's Jean Carter c/up on here a while back. I love it, but no doubt if I had the whole track on mp3 I'd play it to death and get bored with it. Only hearing tracks like that occasionally keeps them fresh, keeps people going out to hear particular DJs, and makes hearing it a great adrenalin-rushing, dragging you onto the dancefloor moment... which is surely what it's all about?

It's not a recruitment competion at all... you know, I can hear Out On The Floor, that I first heard 26 years ago and have played it every week since, that still gives me an adrenaline rush dragging me out onto the dancefloor. Your arguement is personally flawed, as are most of the arguements on here, including mine.

I hope you're not hushed to mention tracks that might incite horror to others making you feel singled out... I don't thats for sure :D

Having worked in a record shop for a few years now i would suggest that more people are made aware of soul music by the use of samples by artists like Fatboy Slim or compilations like the one by Andy Smith than anything else.

Derek

Or dare we say it.. courtesy of Kentucky Fried Chicken? Zinger Tower for me please :D

Social source share

It's not a recruitment competion at all... you know, I can hear Out On The Floor, that I first heard 26 years ago and have played it every week since, that still gives me an adrenaline rush dragging me out onto the dancefloor. Your arguement is personally flawed, as are most of the arguements on here, including mine.

I hope you're not hushed to mention tracks that might incite horror to others making you feel singled out... I don't thats for sure :D

Or dare we say it.. courtesy of Kentucky Fried Chicken? Zinger Tower for me please :D

You may jest but yes after every new ad we have people in asking if we have copies of the tracks or if we can recommend a good soul compilation.

Derek

Social source share

You may jest but yes after every new ad we have people in asking if we have copies of the tracks or if we can recommend a good soul compilation.

Derek

I wasn 't joking. My email box was jammed for months.. it was an exciting period :D

Social source share

Of course we all come at it from a personal point of view, and no I have no shame in admitting liking anything.

OK, the scene playing the same tunes over and over again, off whatever format, could quite easily survive without any new vinyl, and if that does it for you, great. The scene as a developing, progressing entity (which seems closer to the original spirit of it to me - and yes, I know I wasn't there), can't without new records and the collectors who seek them out.

Social source share

Hello Soulgirl and Rach, well i'm not so much a newbie but it wasnt long ago i was walking into New Century for me first nighter!! now i collect viynl and promote me own night.. the net plays a great part in gettin the sounds out there to new folk and for all of us to share and hear stuff but there aint nothing like the 45! no way and travelling to venues to hear stuff that isnt on the net! thats where its at... you both have valid points..But i feel there is definitely enough newbies gettin into it AND AS PASSIONATE! about collecting etc to keep it goin for a wee while yet! oh Cheers Karen for sendin me that tune a while back..Now im off to hit the hay... Hope to see you all soon

Social source share

Of course we all come at it from a personal point of view, and no I have no shame in admitting liking anything.

OK, the scene playing the same tunes over and over again, off whatever format, could quite easily survive without any new vinyl, and if that does it for you, great. The scene as a developing, progressing entity (which seems closer to the original spirit of it to me - and yes, I know I wasn't there), can't without new records and the collectors who seek them out.

You're right and yet you're wrong Rachel. You may have concluded that I'm an oldies fan... I am not. I am a new sounds girl yet I also adore select oldies tracks. In fact, right now, I am singing boogaloo from the rooftops but thats another story.

I attended Stoke this New Year, and it was all oldies really yet the floor was packed all night as it is ever time its on.... you and I might have the pleasure to attend very regular soul nights and as such appreciate hearing different stuff... others might only attend something once per month and they like to hear a majority of known tracks with a peppering of new to get used to. I was a staunch supporter of a soul night Steve Csordas put on and what was the attendance for that then Rachel? Playing expensive rare progressive soul records... less that 50, in fact he was lucky to get 25 through the door. down the road at an oldies event they were getting 300 through the door.

Its about balance and popularity, not snobery.

Social source share

Hello Soulgirl and Rach, well i'm not so much a newbie but it wasnt long ago i was walking into New Century for me first nighter!! now i collect viynl and promote me own night.. the net plays a great part in gettin the sounds out there to new folk and for all of us to share and hear stuff but there aint nothing like the 45! no way and travelling to venues to hear stuff that isnt on the net! thats where its at... you both have valid points..But i feel there is definitely enough newbies gettin into it AND AS PASSIONATE! about collecting etc to keep it goin for a wee while yet! oh Cheers Karen for sendin me that tune a while back..Now im off to hit the hay... Hope to see you all soon

You're welcome and thank you for your support for all of our disagreements :D You're proof that all of what all of us do works and I wish you mahoosive success with your promotion.

Social source share

Hello,

The reality is that vinyl is just another format, a "sound carrier" if you like.

A scene made up of music lovers could still exist without vinyl, but a scene focused too heavily on record collecting would not survive.

The music itself, however, will always live on.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

Oh My God! Millbrand.. I cannot believe you exist... someone that has said what I have said many many times in posts gone by.

Please, humble yourself and take your stance for soon you shall be executed for your very beliefs :D

Social source share

You're right and yet you're wrong Rachel. You may have concluded that I'm an oldies fan... I am not. I am a new sounds girl yet I also adore select oldies tracks. In fact, right now, I am singing boogaloo from the rooftops but thats another story.

I attended Stoke this New Year, and it was all oldies really yet the floor was packed all night as it is ever time its on.... you and I might have the pleasure to attend very regular soul nights and as such appreciate hearing different stuff... others might only attend something once per month and they like to hear a majority of known tracks with a peppering of new to get used to. I was a staunch supporter of a soul night Steve Csordas put on and what was the attendance for that then Rachel? Playing expensive rare progressive soul records... less that 50, in fact he was lucky to get 25 through the door. down the road at an oldies event they were getting 300 through the door.

Discos ok sometimes but periferal. Internet 0 - vinyl 0

Discos ok sometimes but periferal. Internet 0 - vinyl 0

ph ph ph

Social source share

You seem to assume that other people make assumptions!! Whatever your taste is, what I'm arguing with is your apparent belief that the internet can replace vinyl, and that collectors aren't essential for discovering new tunes.

To be honest, I'd be happy to be in a venue with 25-50 people who were enthusiastic about what they were listening to, not always encouraging for the promoter to continue though, which is understandable. But I have been to rare, progressive nights recently with considerably greater attendances than that.

It's not snobbery - I suppose I just can't understand people wanting to hear the same things every time they go out, no matter how often that is. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see what happens, and which events are still going on in ten years time......

Social source share

Oh My God! Millbrand.. I cannot believe you exist... someone that has said what I have said many many times in posts gone by.

Please, humble yourself and take your stance for soon you shall be executed for your very beliefs :D

Thanks soulgirl,

I'm a romantic and I like vinyl but what I REALLY like is the actual music. I'm just trying to be realistic and put things into perspective.

But you're right, I will probably be stoned to death ...or worse. :D

Paul Mooney

Social source share

You seem to assume that other people make assumptions!! Whatever your taste is, what I'm arguing with is your apparent belief that the internet can replace vinyl, and that collectors aren't essential for discovering new tunes.

To be honest, I'd be happy to be in a venue with 25-50 people who were enthusiastic about what they were listening to, not always encouraging for the promoter to continue though, which is understandable. But I have been to rare, progressive nights recently with considerably greater attendances than that.

It's not snobbery - I suppose I just can't understand people wanting to hear the same things every time they go out, no matter how often that is. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see what happens, and which events are still going on in ten years time......

There are more assumptions of others assumed assumptions that you realise. You stick to your small venues with few attendees and grow old together.... that's not a valid continuance of northern soul is it. I'll still be around in 10 years I hope because I'm at the younger end of the peerage compared to some, perhpas that's why I am a little more open minded?

Social source share

Thanks soulgirl,

I'm a romantic and I like vinyl but what I REALLY like is the actual music. I'm just trying to be realistic and put things into perspective.

Paul Mooney

I'll stand next to you.... as long as I am stoned to death with dobey grey playing I couldnt give a numpty's uncle... that's my death tune, as Lindsay knows, so bring it on :D

Social source share

There are more assumptions of others assumed assumptions that you realise. You stick to your small venues with few attendees and grow old together.... that's not a valid continuance of northern soul is it. I'll still be around in 10 years I hope because I'm at the younger end of the peerage compared to some, perhpas that's why I am a little more open minded?

If you don't mind, I'll actually stick to my mixture of small and large venues (trying out new ones that come along) with a variety of sizes of crowds and mixture of styles of music, played off original vinyl by people who are passionate about seeking out new sounds, with new people coming along and staying or going depending on whether they decide it's for them or not... oh and collecting records, hearing new tunes at venues, on tapes/CDs/down the phone from people, in the occasional record shop that I manage to get to, as well as on the net.

Being open minded is nothing to do with age in my experience, just attitude.

Have to go to bed now, pleasure debating with you :D

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Keep up this pressure you might score. Internet 0 - vinyl 0 :D

Social source share

Thanks soulgirl,

Locked in a room and subjected to continious Motorcity cd comps? :D

Derek

Social source share

I'll stand next to you.... as long as I am stoned to death with dobey grey playing I couldnt give a numpty's uncle... that's my death tune, as Lindsay knows, so bring it on :D

Thanks, but don't stand NEXT to me, stand IN FRONT of me. That way I might not get hit by many stones!

:D

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Rachel, if only there were more like you. That last paragraph is "nail on head" stuff i.m.h.o.why would anybody want to travel to a venue to hear music that thay can play at home? and sing along to every word. I know many people who get very upset if they don't know every single tune that's played. I'm running an upfront night myself, and struggling to get people in, but at least the ones who attend are there for the right reasons. And as long as I can break even, I'll keep going.

It is very depressing though when you see the attendances at oldies nights. Can't understand it myself. The buzz that I get when I hear a new tune that blows me away, just can't be beat. WHAT IS THAT, I MUST HAVE IT, PLAY IT AGAIN. That's what it means to me.

Wish you lived closer, you'd be very welcome at my do. Phil.

Social source share

Somewhere above, among all the sniping that this thread has unfortunately attracted, Chalky made the very important observation that only a few of the plays at venues have been sourced from CDs (Please, note he didn't say played from CD!) It would be interesting to know just what the ratio of collector discovered v record company discovered is. This would help us to quantify just how important the contributions of the individual collectors are to the health of the scene.

Sorry, Chalky did not say this at all:he was talking about what actually went on to CD. But if he had made the point it would have been a worthwhile one. Thed vitriol of many of the posts above made it difficult for me to read what was avctually being said.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

what if everyone's ears sealed up overnight? would we still care about vinyl then?

or dancefloor-wise, what if we all woke up one morning and found we had two left feet (happened to me years ago?)

to put it bluntly, what if your arm bursts?

blimy, dan, have you been taking acid? :)

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

.... and me with some of the comments you made too chalky. It would seem that we are both here for very same reason then. You spend money on buying records.. I spend money on rolling it out to others that cannot afford to buy the individual records... seems like a fair trade to me. From the point of view of the appreciative listeners that is and from the point of view of the artistes I receive emails from ecstatic that their recordings are on the internet. Truce?

Truce...didn't know we was fighting so no truce to declare IMO. I basically believe you have no real idea of where the new records come from in the first place. It's collectors seeking them out.

I also had e-mails from artist thanking me for keeping their music alive by playing it out at venues after they've seen my playlists, I know others have too. Many others are also in constant touch with the artists and some are even great friends with them.

Social source share

So you can't be getting on in years or be a little older and be open minded :)

Social source share

Somewhere above, among all the sniping that this thread has unfortunately attracted, Chalky made the very important observation that only a few of the plays at venues have been sourced from CDs (Please, note he didn't say played from CD!) It would be interesting to know just what the ratio of collector discovered v record company discovered is. This would help us to quantify just how important the contributions of the individual collectors are to the health of the scene.

Sorry, Chalky did not say this at all:he was talking about what actually went on to CD. But if he had made the point it would have been a worthwhile one. Thed vitriol of many of the posts above made it difficult for me to read what was avctually being said.

The point I was trying to make is the nighter scene will not survive without the collectors and dj's who seek out new records.

I have nothing but admiration for the work of the cd producers, buy many of them myself as it's a great way to hear some new soul music, particularly the Kent cds. But what I was trying to say was how many are nighter material that are brand new and never been played? Helping the dance side of the scene progress? Most that is nighter material has already been played.

Without the nighters this scene will quickly die IMHO. Without the vinyl much of the interest in the scene will quickly disappear. You only have to read Soul Source to see how much of the content is related to vinyl, you only have to look in sales and wants to see the interest and you only have to look at ebay, John Manship's autions and other auction sites to see the vast interest and money that changes hand.

Social source share

IMO--collecting and playing rare soul on vinyl is one of the cornerstones that the scene is built on and without it i think the scene would collapse.

Theres something very special about owning that bit of 7" plastic(im talking records here).Finally getting to own that original vinyl youve searched years for gives me a real buzz(again im talking about records)

Nobody can say the same about c.d.S

As for numbers through the doors i ran a soul night for five years ,always looking for and trying to be different,Playing tunes that you just didnt hear anywhere else in our area----and was called an elitist etc.

Five years later the beer towel brigade are playing the same records (mostly on boots) to full dancefloors.So in effect its the collecting of rare vinyl that has kept the scene going for them.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!