Where Have All The Ebay Records Gone? 90% Have Disappeared

Mister Fish

Maybe All Going To Be Used For Ship,s Ballast.

if thats the case history will have a chance to repeat itself by having young kids who after having have found them via local dealers and shops will have created a whole "new" dance scene around it. as it will all take place in china, mostly near the coast and surrounding mega cities it will be years later given the name "(chinese) sea soul" by a travelling journalist from bejing as the music is so dfferent to what he will have heard in bejing and other mainland chinese cities.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I don't bother much anymore , i'm sick to death of trawling through the mire of mugs,cufflinks badges keyrings tee shirts purses stickers bootlegs and reissues just to find the odd sound of interest

• Helpful 1
Social source share

if thats the case history will have a chance to repeat itself by having young kids who after having have found them via local dealers and shops will have created a whole "new" dance scene around it. as it will all take place in china, mostly near the coast and surrounding mega cities it will be years later given the name "(chinese) sea soul" by a travelling journalist from bejing as the music is so dfferent to what he will have heard in bejing and other mainland chinese cities.

Borrocks

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On the U.S. site they have changed the sub-catagories to "style" and now you can not search for a specific sub-catagory under a genre. So for example you can not search for Northern Soul, Funk, Doo Wop etc... under R&B and Soul. Wonder what Einstein at Ebay came up with this fine policy. Good work Ebay. If it ain't broke leave it alone! This is going to be a nightmare for sellers and buyers.They have really screwed things up. I am glad I don't have anything for sale at the moment.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

guys your all lookin in the wrong countrys...the yanks etc have sold most to other companys. else were...i saw them being shipped in..fcin awesome....records that will blow ya mind undiscovered evrything.........i would have to shoot myself if i told you were to look.

who sed the undiscovered stuff had run out.....ha ..and then sum...x

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

On the U.S. site they have changed the sub-catagories to "style" and now you can not search for a specific sub-catagory under a genre. So for example you can not search for Northern Soul, Funk, Doo Wop etc... under R&B and Soul. Wonder what Einstein at Ebay came up with this fine policy. Good work Ebay. If it ain't broke leave it alone! This is going to be a nightmare for sellers and buyers.They have really screwed things up. I am glad I don't have anything for sale at the moment.

Oh they know what they're doing...

They want us to have to search through more stuff to find what we want in the hope that we might get distracted by something else we wouldn't have normally noticed. Or as they would say it "We are adding value to your search by giving you more results to select from".

Social source share

Thanks for the info. WTF! I still don't get it. The other day there were 200,000 r&b/Soul records now there's 98,000 where should I be looking for the others?

Social source share

This is not good. If you back all the way out to eBay's home page and browse to Music > Records and then pick a category, there are a lot of sub-categories listed and others that aren't. This means you really can't find records that are in fact listed. Sellers are going to take a big hit on this unless/until they figure it out. Not soul, but if you go into Rock, the Garage-60s Punk category is totally gone.

Social source share

Looks like they changed the category number from 306 to 176985.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Records-/306/i.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Records-/176985/i.html

I was looking through Turbo lister and records now go under:

176985 --> Music > Records

Also, there are input fields for record and cover condition, which is going to be a nightmare if required, since I put my grades inside my listing template.

Social source share

Looks like they changed the category number from 306 to 176985.

https://www.ebay.com/...rds-/306/i.html

https://www.ebay.com/...-/176985/i.html

I was looking through Turbo lister and records now go under:

176985 --> Music > Records

Just had a look at this. It doesn't look good at all. As you earlier wrote, a whole lot of sub-genres are gone within the r&b/soul and rock categories like "northern soul", "Motown", "60s punk/garage" etc.

Might be time to start listing things on the co.uk site instead, at least the categories on there make a bit more sense. :rolleyes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

no what happened was that they changed the category ID but some servers had stale data and was either filtering on the old ID or didn't have the updated item listings with the new ID

Is there some way of refreshing your computer so it sees everything as it should do Bob? I've got a lot more in view now than before but still not everything.

Jordi

Social source share

Is there some way of refreshing your computer so it sees everything as it should do Bob? I've got a lot more in view now than before but still not everything.

Jordi

it's not an issue with your computer. Ebay is a large system that has to be highly distributed because no one server could handle the millions of users. That means that data gets replicated and cached across different servers and a server can potentially have stale data if it hasn't been updated. I really doubt this specific problem still exists, it probably only existed a few hours after the ID change. They really probably should have restarted or flushed the cache of the replicating servers at the time the ID changed happened to prevent this issue.

Social source share

Just checked ebay uk there are at the moment 16,244 records classed under northern soul, 39,616 records under soul music but only 384 under RnB bit of a shortage there so we can keep fishing on the northern and soul categories but leave the RnB stocks alone until greenpeace allow us to dabble there again

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!