Northernsoul Fisticuffs

ImberBoy

Just to answer a question, The guy was from Middlesbrough and he was immediately barred from the soul club in question and the clubs committee also barred him from the clubs premises. As for other clubs within the North -East area it's down to the promoters as to who they let in through thier doors, as we all know some promoters don't give a damn just as long as the place is getting body's in. (Cash is king to some)

Be interesting to know which club it was Wally??..................as for barring folk, well, I've known the odd one or two cases where someone has been barred, but it doesn't usually last long............a few months and they're back in!!!

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

best one i,ve seen was fiac and co from derby against poke and co from grantham outside the cats, now that was a real humdinger....think little willy from wednesfied got stabbed in the leg and didn,t know til the morning (it wern,t life threatning lol).Again the smaller venues where music and nighter folk are more important usually run by promoters who generally know whos walking through the door..should be able to spot wrong uns at the door.....all you have to say is..."members only " job done

Terry didnt click have a tear uip at Blackpool where a carton of caps and pills (originally got em from snotty and wilky) ended up getting spilled over the floor during the gentlemens disagreement that was taking place?The disagreement being others wanted those same caps and pills,others being a group of well known northern gentlemen. who had been having a bit of a ruuning feud with him.,Inside the mecca providing the arena. Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Surely there enough blokes at nighters like terry says to just turn the unwanted away at the door,agree smaller venue easier to do this ,ie private function mate ,f*ck off please. to the outsider,outsiders with uh,uh he looks the part ,radiating fromhim,them,or even her,

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

me my brother and some mates was at the keighley niter back in the 8ts , it got stormed by some pissheads , police marias the lot turned up, ruined it everyone had to bugger off home at like 3 in the morning , thing was there was only a handful of them , but suppose nobody knew that at the time ,although i do believe one received a lovely right hander of ivor allen, and pat brady had to protect his wife doing a sterling job off it too i believe, killed it in keighley for any all niters after that though

I was at that Allnighter in Keighley when it kicked off with a load of Miners,I think it would have been 84,I was djing at the time it happened,as you say loads of police arrived and stopped the music,I dont think it finished the night off though.My mate Spyke was on the recieving end of a brick thrown through the window.Was the Allnighter held in a Miners Welfare? I do remember the rather large Seagent ordering me to stop that Fing music off,ten minutes later calls from the floor put the tunes back on its all finished,well not as far as that Seagent was concerned..as he shouted I wont tell you again!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Terry didnt click have a tear uip at Blackpool where a carton of caps and pills (originally got em from snotty and wilky) ended up getting spilled over the floor during the gentlemens disagreement that was taking place?The disagreement being others wanted those same caps and pills,others being a group of well known northern gentlemen. who had been having a bit of a ruuning feud with him.,Inside the mecca providing the arena.

Not sure if same incident,but that surely happened at the pier Cleethorpes...when a couple of well know derby lads tried to relieve snotty and wilky of a canister of 200 b,bombers...they merely relieved the derby lads of their conciousness lol......never forget that! wilky walking over muttering ...."who the f**k do they think they are!!"....we had a good night that night....might be the same incident you're talking of...just wrong location,buuuut it just might be snotty & wilky at it somewhere else wey hey!!

p.s mind you...whilst CLICK was a nice fella (towards me anyway) have seen him give smokey what for at the catacombs....and there was very little arguement from the smokemaster...sideburns en all lol

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Not sure if same incident,but that surely happened at the pier Cleethorpes...when a couple of well know derby lads tried to relieve snotty and wilky of a canister of 200 b,bombers...they merely relieved the derby lads of their conciouness lol......never forget that! wilky walking over muttering ...."who the f**k do they think they are!!"....we had a good night that night....might be the same incident you're talking of...just wrong location,buuuut it just might be snotty & wilky at it somewhere else wey hey!!

p.s mind you...whilst CLICK was a nice fella (towards me anyway) have seen him give smokey what for at the catacombs....and there was very little arguement from the smokemaster...sideburns en all lol

Thats class Terry :)

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I was at that Allnighter in Keighley when it kicked off with a load of Miners,I think it would have been 84,I was djing at the time it happened,as you say loads of police arrived and stopped the music,I dont think it finished the night off though.My mate Spyke was on the recieving end of a brick thrown through the window.Was the Allnighter held in a Miners Welfare? I do remember the rather large Seagent ordering me to stop that Fing music off,ten minutes later calls from the floor put the tunes back on its all finished,well not as far as that Seagent was concerned..as he shouted I wont tell you again!

Just local piss head's being refused entry. Not miners - Jerrio :lol::D .

Social source share

they werent miners ,we dont have any in keighley,no mines round here mate,no they were just out n out pissheads ,the niter was at alice street youth centre ,im sure it was later than 84 think it was more like 86 ,could be wrong memory is fading !!!!!!
Social source share

they werent miners ,we dont have any in keighley,no mines round here mate,no they were just out n out pissheads ,the niter was at alice street youth centre ,im sure it was later than 84 think it was more like 86 ,could be wrong memory is fading !!!!!!

and it deffo closed the niter
Social source share

A second all nighter was run at the same venue, by the same promoter quiet soon after the above mentioned first all nighter with NO trouble. The only trouble was finding enough DJ's with records to jock in the modern room, :lol: which was soon resolved - thanks to that nice lad from Dewsbury - Adam !!! :D

Mr Pat Brady's involvement would come naturally as Pat has had a long history with boxing, both as a fighter in the ring and even being a boxing coach outside of the ring - back in his day. :huh:

:thumbsup:hey up nick, yes i knew pat was involved in the boxing scene , thats why i thought he did a "sterling job" as did lance hall when one of them came across the floor at him with a table ,funny to see pisshead reeling backwards with the table on top of him, i cant remember the 2nd event maybe i was on holiday at the time or ive simply forgot about it, who was the promoter,i seem to remember pat allen having summat to do with it, the first one anyway,

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Not sure if same incident,but that surely happened at the pier Cleethorpes...when a couple of well know derby lads tried to relieve snotty and wilky of a canister of 200 b,bombers...they merely relieved the derby lads of their conciousness lol......never forget that! wilky walking over muttering ...."who the f**k do they think they are!!"....we had a good night that night....might be the same incident you're talking of...just wrong location,buuuut it just might be snotty & wilky at it somewhere else wey hey!!

Not quite sure but I think it was clarkie he had the fight with , the preston bloke or from around that area.(i I thinkClicks name was clarke as well wasnt it/)i/)Snotty liked click as they were both football fanatics ,snotty man utd though whereas the other fella was liecester.city,one of their top boys so it was said.Remember fighting outside the hind hotel in liecester one year about 100 corby crew v the then Hinckley mob ,on the occasion of a man utd liecester match,the corby mob contained all the usual suspects,wilky,snotty,keith harpur and George mckimmie who I had gone along with I was 13 they were a few years older,plus more hard bastard nutters of local fame..We were all in the bar of the hind hotel at the train station,as I was somewhat of a mascot I was standing on a table while snotty and the lads would line up empty pint glasses that I was penalty kicking across the room to the sound of cheers each time one hit the wall.The bar had gone well beyond rowdy .Next thing I had to duck as a couple of rocks came flying through the front glass window ,it was the hinckley mob outside the pub.All hell broke loose and there was a huge brawl with click in the thick of their mob ,the old bill soon got there and smashed in extra heavy handed and a few lads were arrestedOne lad Adam Mc Cabe had smashed the first person to come through the door right in the middle of the face full power,trouble is it wasnt a hinckly mob liecester fan but a uniformed policewomen ,the old bill went wild and baton beat their way to Adam attacking him like a bunch of tasmanian devils as they dragged and beat him along the groung through the fighting masses,Two years jail adam got fot that ! and god knows what sort of beating he got in police cutody,I shudder to think uurh?..We then all made off to continue the day of fun after this bright start both inside and out side the ground and after the game mayhem all the way then off the train at kettering where the lads decided to go and attack the windmill clubs teddy boy patrons..That was a good mob of Corby lads back then 71,72 onwards.Any way after side tracking myself a bit there.Clicks well known about collection may well owe some of its more exotic exhibits ttp s, ttg s etc to snotty etc who used to do him bulk parcels of assorted goodies at a special rate ,he had a deal going from some time back with Passy and john concerning bulk and Mick(Snotty)had carried it on to some extent.Another legend Snotty like others wish he was here bless him.

Pretty special sort of bloke Wilky they dont make them like him very often , the mould was smashed after he came along one of the best people Ive known in my life a real one off among lots of other things no slouch when the chips are downWilky had got and I would wager one of the fastest hardest head butts around not many remained standing after encountering one of them.Just like anythingn Wilky his headbutts as with everything else were done with style, they had that va va voom!He would stand next to the victim and turn his head to the side grinning at whomever was there watching in that wilky cheeky grin mode and then he would very casually flick his hair both sides in a sort of a sweep back and over the ears movement as he had nearly always got his hiair long,very long at times,then bang goodnight vienna Ivan got one of those on the steps of notts palais one year and a good kicking to go with it when Wilky and George mcKimmieR.I.P mate , caught up with him for stealing a chemist stash from the woods with his mate(I I was on remand when this lot of incidents went off but got a detailed account from Wilky and Snotty when I got out a few weeks after) and then after being tracked to mkt harboro and there being made to see the error of their ways for taking anothers hard earned stash allegedly told of the wherabouts of john boyd.(Diamond bloke one of the best of the corby originals along with passy.) who at the time was an escapee from prison,the notts business was for john.Snotty and wilky indeed were at it in quite a few places.

Wilkys righteous indignation,"who the f*ck do they think they are!",brilliant,the mans a legend...

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Not quite sure but I think it was clarkie he had the fight with , the preston bloke or from around that area.(i I thinkClicks name was clarke as well wasnt it/)i/)Snotty liked click as they were both football fanatics ,snotty man utd though whereas the other fella was liecester.city,one of their top boys so it was said.Remember fighting outside the hind hotel in liecester one year about 100 corby crew v the then Hinckley mob ,on the occasion of a man utd liecester match,the corby mob contained all the usual suspects,wilky,snotty,keith harpur and George mckimmie who I had gone along with I was 13 they were a few years older,plus more hard bastard nutters of local fame..We were all in the bar of the hind hotel at the train station,as I was somewhat of a mascot I was standing on a table while snotty and the lads would line up empty pint glasses that I was penalty kicking across the room to the sound of cheers each time one hit the wall.The bar had gone well beyond rowdy .Next thing I had to duck as a couple of rocks came flying through the front glass window ,it was the hinckley mob outside the pub.All hell broke loose and there was a huge brawl with click in the thick of their mob ,the old bill soon got there and smashed in extra heavy handed and a few lads were arrestedOne lad Adam Mc Cabe had smashed the first person to come through the door right in the middle of the face full power,trouble is it wasnt a hinckly mob liecester fan but a uniformed policewomen ,the old bill went wild and baton beat their way to Adam attacking him like a bunch of tasmanian devils as they dragged and beat him along the groung through the fighting masses,Two years jail adam got fot that ! and god knows what sort of beating he got in police cutody,I shudder to think uurh?..We then all made off to continue the day of fun after this bright start both inside and out side the ground and after the game mayhem all the way then off the train at kettering where the lads decided to go and attack the windmill clubs teddy boy patrons..That was a good mob of Corby lads back then 71,72 onwards.Any way after side tracking myself a bit there.Clicks well known about collection may well owe some of its more exotic exhibits ttp s, ttg s etc to snotty etc who used to do him bulk parcels of assorted goodies at a special rate ,he had a deal going from some time back with Passy and john concerning bulk and Mick(Snotty)had carried it on to some extent.Another legend Snotty like others wish he was here bless him.

Pretty special sort of bloke Wilky they dont make them like him very often , the mould was smashed after he came along one of the best people Ive known in my life a real one off among lots of other things no slouch when the chips are downWilky had got and I would wager one of the fastest hardest head butts around not many remained standing after encountering one of them.Just like anythingn Wilky his headbutts as with everything else were done with style, they had that va va voom!He would stand next to the victim and turn his head to the side grinning at whomever was there watching in that wilky cheeky grin mode and then he would very casually flick his hair both sides in a sort of a sweep back and over the ears movement as he had nearly always got his hiair long,very long at times,then bang goodnight vienna Ivan got one of those on the steps of notts palais one year and a good kicking to go with it when Wilky and George mcKimmieR.I.P mate , caught up with him for stealing a chemist stash from the woods with his mate(I I was on remand when this lot of incidents went off but got a detailed account from Wilky and Snotty when I got out a few weeks after) and then after being tracked to mkt harboro and there being made to see the error of their ways for taking anothers hard earned stash allegedly told of the wherabouts of john boyd.(Diamond bloke one of the best of the corby originals along with passy.) who at the time was an escapee from prison,the notts business was for john.Snotty and wilky indeed were at it in quite a few places.

Wilkys righteous indignation,"who the f*ck do they think they are!",brilliant,the mans a legend...

Click hung around with the Preston hardcore soulies, prob Dave Malloy and Gaz Kellett. He was rumoured to have an axe inside his sheepskin for footy games and once did a chemist on his drive to court for another charge. I never saw the slightest bit of violence in him and he certainly wouldn't use his extra curicular activities to impress or scare anyone on the scene. Same with Wilky, i always got on well with him, i didn't even know he was a hard case; he and a mate used to rip it out of Rug though, i reckon that's why Rug quit the scene.

That's one of the good things about the scene, the tough nuts usually keep it to themselves. When you consider it is a bit like a playground, they don't act the bully.

I heard Wilky was in the south west and sold up to a dealer. I ended up with Click's residue when he became God Squad; nothing much good though, he battered all his records, superglued stickers all over them.

Social source share

I must have got that wrong Nick,Im sure Iwas told it was the latter but I stand corrected.Wrighty.

Edited by jerrio
Social source share

Definetly 84 possibly 85 I think it was Pat Allens promotion with Ivor Allen,I dont think it was in a youth club,Maybe Pat can tell us if hes reading this. Wrighty.

Edited by jerrio
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Click hung around with the Preston hardcore soulies, prob Dave Malloy and Gaz Kellett. He was rumoured to have an axe inside his sheepskin for footy games and once did a chemist on his drive to court for another charge. I never saw the slightest bit of violence in him and he certainly wouldn't use his extra curicular activities to impress or scare anyone on the scene. Same with Wilky, i always got on well with him, i didn't even know he was a hard case; he and a mate used to rip it out of Rug though, i reckon that's why Rug quit the scene.

That's one of the good things about the scene, the tough nuts usually keep it to themselves. When you consider it is a bit like a playground, they don't act the bully.

I heard Wilky was in the south west and sold up to a dealer. I ended up with Click's residue when he became God Squad; nothing much good though, he battered all his records, superglued stickers all over them.

wIilky was living in Bournemouth last time I saw him Terry,he used to come bck to Corby every now and again to see his folks when they were still alive, then now and again he used to vist our mate George and nearly always had a couple of scousers come up with him.He had done ok down Bournemouth from what I gather.One of the best senses of humour I ve come across,I reckon it was about 1981 when he went to Bournemouth, as we were at the stathclyde bar in Corby just before New year ,he bricklaying to start when he first went down there then bought a couiple of houses converted them and Corby lads mainly who went down there were his tenents he was also door work later branching into other things.I wondered what would have happened to his record co;;ection ,but times change and so do people and I guess thats why a lot of collections have been sold on through the years. Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Wilky is indeed in the south east bourne/bournmouth....saw him in kettering 2 or 3 years since...lost most of that ginger mane,but still a laugh......RUSS BOWERS aka RUG sadly died again 2 or 3 years ago..drink related problem alledgedly R.I.P

P,S Heres one for you ady....who were the two fellas believed to be from the leicester area (70-75ish) one was small wore a small beaded skull cap (bit like a jewish bloke)....never really spoke and danced in a funny way...bit like a robot walking 3 steps one way then turn 3 steps the other...hung around with a biggish fattish fella....any ideas?

P.P.S The fella who hung around with WILKY might be our very own MANUS FALLON on here as MANUSF3a...sounds about right lol....or could have been my old mate MICK GAVIN from wilby R.I.P

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Wilky is indeed in the south east bourne/bournmouth....saw him in kettering 2 or 3 years since...lost most of that ginger mane,but still a laugh......RUSS BOWERS aka RUG sadly died again 2 or 3 years ago..drink related problem alledgedly R.I.P

P,S Heres one for you ady....who were the two fellas believed to be from the leicester area (70-75ish) one was small wore a small beaded skull cap (bit like a jewish bloke)....never really spoke and danced in a funny way...bit like a robot walking 3 steps one way then turn 3 steps the other...hung around with a biggish fattish fella....any ideas?

P.P.S The fella who hung around with WILKY might be our very own MANUS FALLON on here as MANUSF3a...sounds about right lol....or could have been my old mate MICK GAVIN from wilby R.I.P

First time I met you Terry was down that side passage in The Central Hall Kettering. Mick Gavin was with you & he kept rattling a pot of 'sundries' in my face as we were talking.....Quite unsettling at the time ! :lol:

Social source share

This must have been a later allnighter then becuse I dont remember it finishing earlier.Wrighty.

it

This must have been a later allnighter then becuse I dont remember it finishing earlier.Wrighty.

it was at Alice st Youth Centre , behind the college and to my knowledge was the only place they had a nighter in keighley, if there was a nighter in keighley it must have been years before 84 , im 51 and live 4 mile from keighley so thought i would remember one prior to it,
Social source share

Northernsoul Fisting?

Has the Northernsoul scene spiralled into a late night drinking club ?

I have been hearing of fighting at Allnighters of the recent months with the blame landing on drunken people, is this true?

Have we entered into a new era?

Simon if we look at this objectively concidering how many soul do's are happening every weekend the likelyhood of violence is very small.

There are drunk and sometimes just plain aggressive people without a drink in all walks of life , even of the "soul scene" yes we are not all whiter than white .

I think in the years that i have been souling I have only ever seen a fight once ! and that involved two women ... I hasten to add the men did not seperate them because they were enjoying the spectacle.

I would imagine that a lot of self policing goes on , there are some strong fella's on the scene that don't have to shout the odds to make their mark.

So in answer to your question... NO its always been there , you just never noticed it IMHO

Edited by Anais nin
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Ady mate,Rug was a brilliant geezer ,him and Wilky were close as hell we had a way a banter when blocked that might have sounded a little strange to those listening ,that goes for Mick Gavin r.i.p bless him,as welll.Rug and Wilky used to have what might have sounde like arguements ie trading insults about various things where Rug would act over the top peteulant and put on a very pronounced lisp with Wilky making out he was telling him off usually by poinbnting out short comings and traits some completely crazy and outlandish as he would appear to be giving him a dressing down the two of them would introduce mad sounding words into the conversation .We all used to have a sort of crazy language,"The North Park club" became the "Northstalker try ma rang club",one of Wilkys creations,.Rug had given Wilky the title of "!His sheer height of utterness", in fact thinking of it Rug reall y loved Wilky as a mate and vice vrersa,they were masters of practical jokes and would put items in peoples record boxes such as a parsnip,other forms of vegetables strange things etc.Rug had a famous flapping shoe the sole was hanging off and he held it together with elastic bands and went to nighters and the blackpool mecca like that for yearsHe gave the shoe and name "Thladmead",and would do a vetriloquist job flapping it in time to his voice as he would make it speak..Going to and coming back from all nighters,or from anywhere really in the company of Wilky ,Gav and Rug rip the two of them(Hurt to hear about Rug though I hadnt seen him for years and as for Gav it still hurts if I think about it to realise hes not going to be around no matter how long ago it happened but I ve got millions of magic memories of them both and they ll always live on in my memory)was a real treat when blocked we used to laugh so much,especially on coaches where anything could happen such as impromptu raffles ,quizzesNo morning come downs for that bunch?

My favourite all dayers for years Ady were the ones round Wilkys mums house,really good sounds provided by Wilky,resident dj, with Rug supporting on many occasions held in the main room(Wilky bedroom)with all the best gear on hand,not restricted to being held at weekends or bank holidays,a tuesday or monday would do just as well.At times other Djs such as Tony Dellar Brian Rae would make an appearence f, Wilkys mum would supply them and us with tea and biscuits its easy to eat biscuits nice ones that is with a cup of tea with your gear as long as you arent to blocked!

I last saw Rug many years ago at his stall on Wellingborough market,where we had a good chat about Wilky,Gav and all the times.I had stopped going some time before but I believe Rug still used to do a bit of Djing here and there.Im sure if Wilky has heard about Rug dying it would have been very upsetting to him,like I say close as brothers really.When we did get to the nighter both of them would disapear off into the record bar for most of the night but from time to time they would energe to have a dance or two.Me and Gav were more of the whats up and lets have a look about see what we can get up to rather than record bar folk.I always thought Gav a good dancer when he did his thing on the floor much better than the acrobatic stuff. you see about.Gav and Mr "Russel"? were close mates for many years ,there were some other Wellingborough folk Glen Stuart and Steve Evans among others he was tight with and big buddies with Barry the man when he was about.One things for certain a lot of people would have sure missed Gavin r.i.p

Ady I didnt really know Click all that well but he got quite pally with Snotty as I mentioned,Might have got the lines crossed a little bit about "collections ",though"",Click used to keep a collection of one of each of every cap and pill,thats what I meant when I said some of his more exotics TTP twotone pinks, and ttgs two tone greens among others may have come from. Snottyr.i.p atb manus

Ps Its strange to hear all those years later what folk were actually making of those verbal exchanges between Wilky and Rug ?perfecttly logical to see how such assumptions were made,I bet they would both have a good laugh if they could hear how some folk thought of what they were doing.

As for words oft he different ones in "our", language we made up the two greatest insults were to be called 1,A glob 2 A sub zero nout.

Glob was for globule speaks for its self,ie youre not a person you are just a "Glob". and sub zero nout was a person with no brain ,that was their iq score,slightly less insulting was to be called a "semi", this meant semi human,ie had a half of a brain,the first two though if used in a Rug vWilky "arguement?would always raise the tempo, but put them together though, if Rug called Wilky a "Sub zero glob",such an insult because it was said to be made to "His sheer height of utterness",would cause Willky to erupt in mock rage,maybe you might have saw them when this happened Ady because it did quite frequently,all the best mate manus,

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

it it was at Alice st Youth Centre , behind the college and to my knowledge was the only place they had a nighter in keighley, if there was a nighter in keighley it must have been years before 84 , im 51 and live 4 mile from keighley so thought i would remember one prior to it,

Both nighters were held at the Central Hall on Alice Street off North Street during 1986. As copies of Barbara Lynn - I'm Still The Same" (Jam Stone) and Richard C - "Its Hard To Make It" (Sho Boat) released in 1984 were available via Soul Bowl and played as new and recent releases at the 2nd niter in room 2.

But hey ho !!!! :)

Thanks Drewid :D .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Was the biggish fat one"Ada".
Social source share

Okay...i think the gist of this thread is about recent happenings etc....and it is very entertaining to hear about how stuff was dealt with back in the day...but please ..stop that and can it be kept on thread etc....so everyone can post up positive solutions to what it seems to be an escalating situation??.....dont want to stop the flow off posts ..but some folk maybe put off by others....thank you Delxxxx

Social source share

Since the introduction of all night licenseing and relaxed restrictions, many bars clubs serving till 6 am, the likely hood of piss heads..even from the soul crowd was going to happen, as years ago the latest you could get a drink was two oclock but many a venue opened at 12 and there was no alcohol on sale, if there had of been we probably would have seen the same pissheads years ago, its not always "outsiders" that cause the grief...but ive seen threads on here in the past where there was trouble at a venue and it was "a few who walked off the street" ..... was it really???

In the main the trouble at venues is low during 7 years at the friendship I had to deal with 3 flair ups ALL from soulies who were pissed and all who i dealt with accordingly..

but were all getting old now and im worried that the zimmers and the walking sticks will be used in anger at some point :(

Geeooooordie

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Ady mate,Rug was a brilliant geezer ,him and Wilky were close as hell we had a way a banter when blocked that might have sounded a little strange to those listening ,that goes for Mick Gavin r.i.p bless him,as welll.Rug and Wilky used to have what might have sounde like arguements ie trading insults about various things where Rug would act over the top peteulant and put on a very pronounced lisp with Wilky making out he was telling him off usually by poinbnting out short comings and traits some completely crazy and outlandish as he would appear to be giving him a dressing down the two of them would introduce mad sounding words into the conversation .We all used to have a sort of crazy language,"The North Park club" became the "Northstalker try ma rang club",one of Wilkys creations,.Rug had given Wilky the title of "!His sheer height of utterness", in fact thinking of it Rug reall y loved Wilky as a mate and vice vrersa,they were masters of practical jokes and would put items in peoples record boxes such as a parsnip,other forms of vegetables strange things etc.Rug had a famous flapping shoe the sole was hanging off and he held it together with elastic bands and went to nighters and the blackpool mecca like that for yearsHe gave the shoe and name "Thladmead",and would do a vetriloquist job flapping it in time to his voice as he would make it speak..Going to and coming back from all nighters,or from anywhere really in the company of Wilky ,Gav and Rug rip the two of them(Hurt to hear about Rug though I hadnt seen him for years and as for Gav it still hurts if I think about it to realise hes not going to be around no matter how long ago it happened but I ve got millions of magic memories of them both and they ll always live on in my memory)was a real treat when blocked we used to laugh so much,especially on coaches where anything could happen such as impromptu raffles ,quizzesNo morning come downs for that bunch?

My favourite all dayers for years Ady were the ones round Wilkys mums house,really good sounds provided by Wilky,resident dj, with Rug supporting on many occasions held in the main room(Wilky bedroom)with all the best gear on hand,not restricted to being held at weekends or bank holidays,a tuesday or monday would do just as well.At times other Djs such as Tony Dellar Brian Rae would make an appearence f, Wilkys mum would supply them and us with tea and biscuits its easy to eat biscuits nice ones that is with a cup of tea with your gear as long as you arent to blocked!

I last saw Rug many years ago at his stall on Wellingborough market,where we had a good chat about Wilky,Gav and all the times.I had stopped going some time before but I believe Rug still used to do a bit of Djing here and there.Im sure if Wilky has heard about Rug dying it would have been very upsetting to him,like I say close as brothers really.When we did get to the nighter both of them would disapear off into the record bar for most of the night but from time to time they would energe to have a dance or two.Me and Gav were more of the whats up and lets have a look about see what we can get up to rather than record bar folk.I always thought Gav a good dancer when he did his thing on the floor much better than the acrobatic stuff. you see about.Gav and Mr "Russel"? were close mates for many years ,there were some other Wellingborough folk Glen Stuart and Steve Evans among others he was tight with and big buddies with Barry the man when he was about.One things for certain a lot of people would have sure missed Gavin r.i.p

Ady I didnt really know Click all that well but he got quite pally with Snotty as I mentioned,Might have got the lines crossed a little bit about "collections ",though"",Click used to keep a collection of one of each of every cap and pill,thats what I meant when I said some of his more exotics TTP twotone pinks, and ttgs two tone greens among others may have come from. Snottyr.i.p atb manus

Ps Its strange to hear all those years later what folk were actually making of those verbal exchanges between Wilky and Rug ?perfecttly logical to see how such assumptions were made,I bet they would both have a good laugh if they could hear how some folk thought of what they were doing.

As for words oft he different ones in "our", language we made up the two greatest insults were to be called 1,A glob 2 A sub zero nout.

Glob was for globule speaks for its self,ie youre not a person you are just a "Glob". and sub zero nout was a person with no brain ,that was their iq score,slightly less insulting was to be called a "semi", this meant semi human,ie had a half of a brain,the first two though if used in a Rug vWilky "arguement?would always raise the tempo, but put them together though, if Rug called Wilky a "Sub zero glob",such an insult because it was said to be made to "His sheer height of utterness",would cause Willky to erupt in mock rage,maybe you might have saw them when this happened Ady because it did quite frequently,all the best mate manus,

better known when ya off ya face as .....TALKING BOLLOX

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I must have got that wrong Nick,Im sure Iwas told it was the latter but I stand corrected.Wrighty.

In all fairness some did leave with black'end faces :huh:

ATB - Nick :D .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!