Gloria Jones - Tainted Love

Kjw

Is the one below an original promo

I've seen the other promo with the horizontal lines across and I'm sure that one was copied / bootlegged

post-8942-0-49234200-1347948902_thumb.jp

If there are originals of each design - why the difference - is it down to different pressing locations or a second run with alternative labels

Social source share

Is the one below an original promo

I've seen the other promo with the horizontal lines across and I'm sure that one was copied / bootlegged

post-8942-0-49234200-1347948902_thumb.jp

If there are originals of each design - why the difference - is it down to different pressing locations or a second run with alternative labels

There's no boot of a white demo with lines, thats a West Coast original demo, the one above is the East Coast vinyl press, both are original

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There's no boot of a white demo with lines, thats a West Coast original demo, the one above is the East Coast vinyl press, both are original

Steve Jeffries has one on Ebay as a buy it now at $50 and describes it as a re-issue or something like that as it has a five figure matrix missing

Social source share

Pat Brady had a Canadian Capitol issue Come Go With Me. Talking of Capitol there is an optical illusion with these discs. I put one on the platter, turn the power on, cue the needle and look at the needle, in the corner of my eye the records label colours shift from the normal yellow & red and as I peek at the label they shift back to normal.

Social source share

So are there 3 different original promos then - the one I've posted at the top is slightly different

This one is Vinyl with correct Deadwax on Soul Bowl list as Thicker Vinyl press. Should still have the list somewhere.

Not sure which pressing plant. It's different Variation to the East or West Coast Design as described above.

Social source share

Steve Jeffries has one on Ebay as a buy it now at $50 and describes it as a re-issue or something like that as it has a five figure matrix missing

Yep thats a pressing alright, you know what, I have never seen that in nearly 40 years of collecting, so my apologies for getting that wrong. I've seen black, blue, purple, red, never seen white.

Social source share

Pat Brady had a Canadian Capitol issue Come Go With Me. Talking of Capitol there is an optical illusion with these discs. I put one on the platter, turn the power on, cue the needle and look at the needle, in the corner of my eye the records label colours shift from the normal yellow & red and as I peek at the label they shift back to normal.

Boots will do free eye tests :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Champion_14003b_DJ.jpg

This Original Variation was copied but on Red Paper.

This pressing plant variation looks like the Dart Record Sales Distribution Co.'s pressings and label font. that was Art Sheriden and Ewart Abner's distribution company, that distributed VJ and its family of labels and distributed labels in The Midwest and South.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This pressing plant variation looks like the Dart Record Sales Distribution Co.'s pressings and label font. that was Art Sheriden and Ewart Abner's distribution company, that distributed VJ and its family of labels and distributed labels in The Midwest and South.

Thanks for Information on this.

Social source share

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, ez said:

Apologies I know this topic has been done ad nauseum, but would this be a west coast vinyl monarch promo original? Did they have a delta or did they just have the circled MR? thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222470843591?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I lived in Los Angeles most of each year from 1966-1972, and was looking through hundreds of thousands of 45s then, at least 2 days a week.  I saw hundreds of copies of Champion records.  The regular black stock issues and white DJs that were pressed at Monarch had the label font as shown on the scan of my personal copy (bought in 1966) below.  I've seen that variety from your link.  And it might well be on polystyrene.  But, I'm pretty sure it wasn't pressed at Monarch.  I think that one was sold somewhere in The South or Southeast, or possibly, a different Midwestern issue from that of Dart.  But I really don't know.  It is legitimate, as I'm sure I saw that no later than the later mid '60s.  At that time, I was making record hunting trips across USA and Canada each year.  It would be nice to know what is etched in the trail to be sure.

GloriaJones1.jpg

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

10 hours ago, tlscapital said:

58f06b1369da3_Capturedcran2017-04-1408_13_34.png.0df29be1bcd8a6f88578b2ce24a686e3.png Monarch pressing plant, Los Angeles

58f06b3073563_Capturedcran2017-04-1408_14_26.png.b5d8c76b7dc11f50821979815ebbb299.png ARP pressing plant, Michigan

58f06bdab8dc6_Capturedcran2017-04-1408_14_50.png.8b0f86ebcb8ebbddbb5186a927579aed.png Terre  Haute pressing plant ?, Philadelphia

Terre Haute is in northwest Indiana.  That issue was distributed all over The Midwest and South.  The ARP issue must have been a specially-needed additional issue, probably for Michigan and perhaps the upper Midwest.  I saw many of both in the Chicago/Milwaukee and Detroit areas.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!