Bootleg - Cashing In - Voices Of East Harlem

Sunnysoul

So often people talk about there being a bootleg 45 of this (done in the 70's) but , after all these years, I've yet to see one .... either in the flesh or in a photo.

Anyone have a photo of a bootleg copy or can give clear and detailed pointers on how to spot the bootleg ... if it even exists , that is ???

Social source share

As far as my grey matter remembers there are no "boots" of this, in the traditional sense, only 2nd pressings by the original label.

This is my copy (for sale) :)

post-4408-0-49360000-1348218037_thumb.jp

Demo

post-4408-0-31586900-1348218401_thumb.jp

Later issue with text on 2 lines

post-4408-0-45406000-1348218455_thumb.jp

Later pressing

post-4408-0-89401300-1348218460_thumb.jp

Lastly an original with a very slightly different label. Wasn't (isn't) a massive rare record wouldn't have thought booting was worth it an original can be found, what the going rate £40 - 50 ?

post-4408-0-34587300-1348218675_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Always thought the one below was a Boot I bought mine in '75 as a boot

IF it was genuine, it is news to me! you live and (sometimes) learn!

There is also one for sale on EBay and the seller states is a boot..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Northern-Soul-Voices-Of-East-Harlem-Cashing-In-Reissue-/271062310733?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3f1c929f4d#ht_500wt_1288

post-4408-0-89401300-1348218460_thumb.jpg

Edited by jim g
Social source share

There is also one for sale on EBay and the seller states is a boot..

https://www.ebay.co.u...d#ht_500wt_1288

it could well be jim. certainly done to meet demand when it first went big, its got the stamp and the vinyl looks the same ( probably from the original plate) but how legal is anybody`s guess

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

So often people talk about there being a bootleg 45 of this (done in the 70's) but , after all these years, I've yet to see one .... either in the flesh or in a photo.

Anyone have a photo of a bootleg copy or can give clear and detailed pointers on how to spot the bootleg ... if it even exists , that is ???

Going off on a bit of a tangent[though hopefully not too far ! ]. Does anyone have a definate original on VINYL as opposed to the normal STYRENE[the different colour text and logo one as opposed to the one being called a reissue or later pressing] ? I have a demo and issue both on STYRENE[identical except for the PROMO text and Star].....Ive never seen a vinyl pressing[only the reissue] but wondered if it existed....I ask because my copy of "Wanted Dead Or Alive/Can You Feel It" is a VINYL one but i have seen it on STYRENE too...Just wondered if "Cashing In" was the same ? Anyone ?

Thanks, Ivor

Social source share

Is is a bootleg and definitely NOT made from the same stampers as the original first press demos and issues.

The above does however have "Bell Sound" scratched into the deadwax, but it does NOT look the same as on the original. Someone tried to copy the "Bell Sound" stamp and did it fairly well, but ultimately failed.

Check out this post for more info and comparisons:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Is is a bootleg and definitely NOT made from the same stampers as the original first press demos and issues.

The above does however have "Bell Sound" scratched into the deadwax, but it does NOT look the same as on the original. Someone tried to copy the "Bell Sound" stamp and did it fairly well, but ultimately failed.

Check out this post for more info and comparisons:

why ? did you make them. lol...we`ll settle for the fact its a reissue anyway. thats already set in stone

Going off on a bit of a tangent[though hopefully not too far ! ]. Does anyone have a definate original on VINYL as opposed to the normal STYRENE[the different colour text and logo one as opposed to the one being called a reissue or later pressing] ? I have a demo and issue both on STYRENE[identical except for the PROMO text and Star].....Ive never seen a vinyl pressing[only the reissue] but wondered if it existed....I ask because my copy of "Wanted Dead Or Alive/Can You Feel It" is a VINYL one but i have seen it on STYRENE too...Just wondered if "Cashing In" was the same ? Anyone ?

Thanks, Ivor

i dont think theres any originals of CI on vinyl ivor or at least ive never seen one

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Thanks, Ivor

Ivor

I also have both issues of the Wanted Dead or Alive 45 - on styrene and on vinyl and both are legit.

In fact many still think that Wanted Dead or Alive was/is an LP only track . .. it's definitely far less common than Cashing In . Only 3 on Popsike whereas there are 4 pages of Cashing In on Popsike

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

When the light colourded "Cashing In" appeared in the shops it was just another pressing that those who wanted it couldn't care much about it's legitimacy or not. At the time I assumed it was a illegal issue as the legal pressings were usually the major companies e.g Columbia, Mercury etc. The label and record just looked wrong.

Around 1978/9 I was at House of Sounds in Philadelphia and they had a huge pile of the original issue of "Cashing In". They were all packed in 200 count boxes with each box having the records in 25 count soft boxes just like they had come straight from the manufacturers. At the time you could hardly give records like this away so even though they only cost a few cents I only got one 25 count box. I was working for Robinson's Records in Manchester (well Salford really) and the record could be bought there for around 75p but didn't sell much. The stock at House of Sounds all had the record number stamped on the outside of the box so I could see that there must have been at least 4000 copies as there was a pallet loaded with them.

The first press was distributed by Gulf and Western which I think sold off their record interests in 74 . It's likely that the legal owners of Just Sunshine had the record pressed up for the UK, leaving off the Gulf and Western and making the label as cheap as possible. Or it could have been illegal.

I should think all the originals at House of Sounds had been caught up in the sell off of G+W and weren't available to Just Sunshine. Legal stuff may have left them in limbo till the stock sell off could be done.

However what we all want to know is what happened to the thousands of copies at H of S , did anyone ship them to the UK or did they disappear in the record Bermuda triangle.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

When the light colourded "Cashing In" appeared in the shops it was just another pressing that those who wanted it couldn't care much about it's legitimacy or not. At the time I assumed it was a illegal issue as the legal pressings were usually the major companies e.g Columbia, Mercury etc. The label and record just looked wrong.

Around 1978/9 I was at House of Sounds in Philadelphia and they had a huge pile of the original issue of "Cashing In". They were all packed in 200 count boxes with each box having the records in 25 count soft boxes just like they had come straight from the manufacturers. At the time you could hardly give records like this away so even though they only cost a few cents I only got one 25 count box. I was working for Robinson's Records in Manchester (well Salford really) and the record could be bought there for around 75p but didn't sell much. The stock at House of Sounds all had the record number stamped on the outside of the box so I could see that there must have been at least 4000 copies as there was a pallet loaded with them.

The first press was distributed by Gulf and Western which I think sold off their record interests in 74 . It's likely that the legal owners of Just Sunshine had the record pressed up for the UK, leaving off the Gulf and Western and making the label as cheap as possible. Or it could have been illegal.

I should think all the originals at House of Sounds had been caught up in the sell off of G+W and weren't available to Just Sunshine. Legal stuff may have left them in limbo till the stock sell off could be done.

However what we all want to know is what happened to the thousands of copies at H of S , did anyone ship them to the UK or did they disappear in the record Bermuda triangle.

Rick

GREAT STORY RICK, let us know what else you found please regards jim.

Social source share

It's likely that the legal owners of Just Sunshine had the record pressed up for the UK, leaving off the Gulf and Western and making the label as cheap as possible. Or it could have been illegal.

If it was legal I find it highly unlikely that they would go to such trouble to replicate the Bell Sound stamp (and fail). I mean, why bother? It was most likely done to decieve buyers.

The real "Bell Sound" stamp looks exactly the same on all 45s that it was used on.

Social source share

If it was legal I find it highly unlikely that they would go to such trouble to replicate the Bell Sound stamp (and fail). I mean, why bother? It was most likely done to decieve buyers.

The real "Bell Sound" stamp looks exactly the same on all 45s that it was used on.

Sebastian

I don't have any opinion as to if the re-issues are legal or not I'll leave that up to others. Back then most buyers couldn't care either way and wouldn't have bothered checking for certain markings. The labels on the re-issue are clearly different so the record could have been legal or there again may be illegal ,I don't know or care anymore although it really pi**ed me off back then, sorry.

Rick

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!