Gary Welsh R.i.p

Chalky

Tragic news Chalky, heard earlier today, but didn't want to believe it, sadly, it's now sinking in that he's gone.

Gary was a good bloke, and will truly be missed by everyone who knew him.

Thinking of Ronnie & their children at this painful time.

Rest In Peace Gary

My Deepest Sympathy

Alison x

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I too have just been told this awful news. I can only add my sincere & heartfelt condolences to his family. Lovely man & a real loss to the soul world

RIP

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We/ I am absolutely stunned. Gary was one of those unsung stalwarts of the Soul music scene and I don't say that lightly. He had a great ear for the music and a mind full of info.

Thoughts with All his family at this time.

Totally knocked back and sad.

RIP Gary you are with some good company up there,who are gonna be badgered to death with your questions mate?

Dave & Tina Halsall

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I know Gary isn't a member but many will know him. Gary passed away earlier today. That's about all I can say right now but will let you know more as I get it.

I'm gutted, known Gary a long time and proud to call him a mate. He will be missed by all who knew him

My heart goes out to Piddy and to all his family.

Really shocked to hear this. A nice guy for sure....our thoughts go out his family.

Social source share

Another soul gent passes,an all too familiar part of being on the soul scene.A guy with excellent taste who was always willing to share what he knew,and someone who liked a good laugh with his soul.Thoughts go out from me and Eileen to his family,God bless him.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

sorry too hear such sad news,got too be one of the best who will be sadly missed by many , condolences too ronnie , kids and grandkids , a legend on the soul scene and a true gent , god bless you gary

Edited by madkev
Social source share

Guest Raresoulie

I am gutted to hear this sad news

Gary was a big influence when I was first getting into the scene, as he and Piddy ran my local soul night in Thorne

My thoughts go to Piddy and the family

it is just so sad, R.I.P. fella,

Heath.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Shocking news - so sad to read of Gary's passing. A dear friend a true inspiration and a great loss for the many who welcomed your company and your musical sets over the many years.

Rest In Peace Gary.

Andrea and Nick.

Social source share

We are totally shellshocked by this Sad News, and my memory of Gary will be of him nursing a pint sat at the bar at Thorne, as he used to early doors.

Without Gary Welsh No Thorne !

RIP Gary

Our best wishes and thoughts go to Piddy at this such Sad time!

Melissa & Bully!

He'd usually nursed quite a few by the end of the night. Like Tat's said elsewhere going to miss the grin that never left his face. He was always laughing and joking and taking the p*ss.

His taste in music was second to none and as others have said he was a great DJ. An inspiration to many and one who set trends not followed.

So so sad and still can't take it in.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

We are totally shellshocked by this Sad News, and my memory of Gary will be of him nursing a pint sat at the bar at Thorne, as he used to early doors.

Without Gary Welsh No Thorne !

RIP Gary

Our best wishes and thoughts go to Piddy at this such Sad time!

Melissa & Bully!

Maybe not the right time for this but then again when is?

But how about the current Thorne promotors organising a Gary Welsh memorial night to celebrate his life.

I'm sure Steve Kilgour's still around from way back in the pre Rod Dearlove days.

Edited by Louise
Social source share

He'd usually nursed quite a few by the end of the night. Like Tat's said elsewhere going to miss the grin that never left his face. He was always laughing and joking and taking the p*ss.

His taste in music was second to none and as others have said he was a great DJ. An inspiration to many and one who set trends not followed.

So so sad and still can't take it in.

it seems we're reliant on you dear friend & soul brother to bring us to our senses.....what a terribly sobering experience for a sunday morning....i didn't know gary personally but im sure you'll agree if i say, HE was one of US......how precious and fragile is mortality?, he's in a better place now, where, one day we all hope we shall be...god preserve us.......sincerest condolences to gary's family from rob & may in telford

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Maybe not the right time for this but then again when is?

But how about the current Thorne promotors organising a Gary Walsh memorial night to celebrate his life.

I sure Steve Kilgour's around from way back in the pre Rod Dearlove days.

Great idea Dave - as I recall Gary promoted the Canal Tavern under Simply Soul ?, as you say before Voice's Rod. Maybe get his other old best mate from around that era, Pete Shirley? What a duo those two were.

So sad as I was looking forward to celebrating my 50th with Gary at the Scarborough Week Ender early next month. :(

I'm sure the memorial nite would be hugely supported.

:yes: .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Absolutley gutted to hear this news. Gary was one of the best guys around. As you rightly say Chalky his musical taste was second to none and I'm grateful that he put me on to a few of them

He will be greatly missed but the legacy he leaves will live on forever.

My thoughts and condolences to his family

RIP Gary

Social source share

How sad is this,have known Gary for so many years and have only ever been such good friends,Went round to he and Piddys room a few years ago at Prestatynn and had breakfast and a fuckin good laugh and only the other week bumped into him at Thorne(he was on form as usual) on the 28 of august we became Facebook friends how ironic.Bless you my old buddy and thanks for your true friendship over the years and Piddy bless you too,try and be strong at this so sad time..Sweet Memories.and much love.Gilly and Nicola

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great idea Dave - as I recall Gary promoted the Canal Tavern under Simply Soul ?, as you say before Voice's Rod. Maybe get his other old best mate from around that era, Pete Shirley? What a duo those two were.

So sad as I was looking forward to celebrating my 50th with Gary at the Scarborough Week Ender early next month. :(

I'm sure the memorial nite would be hugely supported.

:yes: .

Yep! Pet Shirley's still around caught up with him a couple of years back at Desboro' he was out for the night with Mick Godfrey and co

Social source share

Such a sad thing to happen, and we send our sincere condolences to Gary's family.

Gary was to DJ at our upcoming Darrow Fletcher concert at the Wilton - We only spoke to him a few days ago and he was really looking forward to coming and meeting Darrow. We will be remembering Gary on that night and will play a few tunes for him.

RIP Gary

Dave, Mouse and Val

Edited by Boxy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Well, how to be knocked for six on a Sunday morning......there are too many posts these days where you get that sinking feeling and have to have a double-take at the topic title in disbelief!!

So, so sad to read the news this morning........there are no words but my thoughts are with Gary's family and friends. The last time we spoke face-to-face was at Skegness Weekender in March, and we were sharing stories about our kids horse-riding and the like........of course he was all smiles. I'm at Skegness again this weekend and will be raising a glass to you mate!

Sleep well Gary.

R.I.P. Mark & Lindsey Randle. :( :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep! Pet Shirley's still around caught up with him a couple of years back at Desboro' he was out for the night with Mick Godfrey and co

Pete Shirley's on FB too. Living and working in Sweden.

sorry Chalky didn't see your post

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Raresoulie

A couple of flyers from Gary's promotions

Kicking off with the White Hart in Thorne in the early 80's

post-19623-0-65294700-1348392152_thumb.j

Then starting out the legacy of the Canal Tavern soul nights

post-19623-0-65226500-1348392149_thumb.j

post-19623-0-98025800-1348392145_thumb.j

R.I.P.

Social source share

Totally saddened & shocked by this news, Gary was a lovely bloke & have many fond memories of him & Ronnie. Sending Ronnie a very big hug & all my love, stay strong sweetheart & just to let you know that we are all here for you hun. A memorial do sounds a fantastic idea xxxx

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Sincere thanks for the above - memories Raresoulie :thumbsup:

Then later came that legendary one off Hull all dayer promoted by Gary and the "only" capture of Jesse James !! Before the Gala Gran week enders.

And some months later that all nighter at Newton Aycliffe on a sunday bank holiday weekend nite !!

:) .

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!