Gary Welsh R.i.p

Chalky

Guest phatness

I'm shocked and can only say R.I.P. He was a top bloke and was one of the foremost beer animals I had ever had the pleasure of sharing ale with. And I never got to return his copy of Clea Bradford's version of Summertime on Chess which I loved so much....so it's being polished as we speak in special memory.

Another reminder of the human side of this ageing scene.

Conrad x

Edited by phatness
Social source share

I wasn't planning to post. I am sure many of his friends are still in shock and will be sending condolences directly to his family, just as we preferred.

But without discussing the idea with anyone, I think any memorial should be what Ronnie & the family want, and I'm sure that anyone they ask to help out will be there for them (including ourselves).

Many don't know this, but Gary came along with me to make the final booking with the Canal Tavern to start our night - this was his local and he knew the owners. He had no issues, even though he had a well-deserved respected history there. Instead, he has always been very supportive and kind over the years to myself & Karen for bringing the place back as a soul venue. Even before that link, Gary went out of his way for a friendly chat - with me, not just with my man who is a longtime friend. That's the kind of guy he was, ask anyone. He will be missed by so many.

m

That is Gary all over that Maria, he would help anyone and have time for anyone and he loved life. He lived his life with a smile on his face despite the set backs he has had.

Social source share

Following on from Chalky's post #55 above & copied from Facebook

I have spoken to Piddy , as all of you who know them will understand "devastated" isn't even close to how she is feeling.

She asked me to make sure everyone who knew Gary gets to know this sad news, so can you please just text out to everyone you may think of to let them know.

As Gary has died so suddenly and unexpectedly there will have to be a post mortem, although at the moment it is looking like a massive heart attack.

Funeral details will be posted as soon as we know them in the next couple of days.

I'm still in shock over this news, read the comments below to see just what a wonderful guy Gary was and just how much he meant to people.

RIP Gary.

Social source share

Guest tyke1249

I got a call late last night from Dave Allen from Thorne telling me the sad news about Gary and I got straight in touch with Chris Denton who confirmed it ---- i cant get my head round it I was only sat with him and Dave the day before at John Hams funeral wake in the Tavern at Thorne having the crack about Thorne lads going to Cleethorpes and Stainforth lads going to Wigan and sharing memories of going to local catholic school together ----------- its left me and my missis totaly stuned and heartsick our love and thoughts go out to Ronnie and the family ------the soul scene has lost two of the nicest blokes you could wish to meet --------------

from Mick and Sandra Lanaghan

Edited by tyke1249
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Snapper Dave

So sad was such a good guy and will be missed,i had a great time with him when the Dells were on at Trentham .All my best wishes to Piddy and family.R.I.P..

Social source share

Guest laticsbluesmon

Bob Burton rang us this morning telling me of the passing of Gary, not seen him for years but can see picture that misceivous and infectous smile Gary had,you just knew you were going to laugh in the next 30 seconds or less, fond memories RIP GARY condolences to Family and Friends.

Good Night God Bless from Bruce [ Preston ]

Social source share

I've spoken to Piddy. She's devastated as you would expect but she is really grateful for all the messages. I will print these off in time and let her have them all.

Piddy is going to let me know the details for the funeral so will pass them all on for those that wish to attend.

I was certain i had met this guy at the Wilton earlier this year. I remember having a long chat outside about Thorne and the snooker player Steve Davis. I really enjoyed my 15 minutes or so with Gary. I wasn't sure it was him at first but I am stood behind him on the photo.RIP Gary

Social source share

First met Gary at the first incarnation that was Thorne, run by Rod & Lorraine Dearlove, we became really good mates and saw each other at countless other doo's during this time, he could never quite get his head round what I did for a living but he was truly a gentleman, musically always pushing the boundaries which endeared him to many.

Over the years we saw less of each other but when we did catch up life had not changed him, RIP my friend.

Piddy stay strong as I know you will, you have my number if you need anything.

Kathy & Brian

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just seen this and can't get my head round it, been reduced to tears, have'nt seen Gary for a while now but have fond memmories of the times i have spent with him over the years from the Cleethorpes days and behind the decks at the Canal Tavern (both Simply Soul and Rods Voices) and the Hull venues and countless other Soul Nites we played at, it's a sad sad day for soul music because he contributed so much to it and was a lovely person with it, my thoughts go out to you Piddy and all the Family/Friends that are countless, R.I.P. Gary "Loved And Missed By All Who Met You" Rick

Edited by RICK SCOTT
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Very sad news indeed.....We found out yesterday of Garys passing and are still in shock-so so glad we knew Gary.....a very sincere, lovely person with the most warmest of smiles...

Thinking of you Ronnie and family,

Gary Welsh RIP

Andy and Susanne Whitmore.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Gary Welsh..............................Thanks for the memories...................... making me smile through my tears.

Love to Piddy and family

Karen (and Pete) xxx

Edited by karen b
Social source share

Heard the very sad news at the weekend about Gary`s passing and still cant get my head round it. Hope your waxing lyrical with some of your heroes up there fella.

R.I.P. Gary

Trev & Denise

post-2059-0-13333600-1348578217_thumb.jp]

Gary & Sam Dees at Soul Essence

Edited by Coxy
Social source share

Marie and myself were stunned to hear the news.

Always had a great laugh with Gary, last time was just a few weeks ago at Steve Woomble and Sean Kierney's birthday party.

Sounds a cliche but Gary was so much larger than life I can't believe he is no longer with us.

He was always so passionate about the music.

A lovely man.

Social source share

Gary Welsh Funeral details

Friday 5th October 2012

11.30 at St Joseph & St Nicholas R C Church - Bloomhill Road- Moorends- DN8 4SS

followed by Burial at Thorne Cemetery .

Afterwards to The Canal Tavern at Thorne for Gary's final send off. ALL WELCOME.

Family flowers only please. Donations in lieu of flowers to GNRC + TLU -I will post links to these later.

For anyone travelling to Scarborough Weeekender all above are very close to M18 & M62 Motorways- to travel on via the Bridlington way...

Edited by Rob Wigley
Social source share

So sorry to hear about Gary's passing away,was only chatting to him at wommble and Shaun's do a couple of weeks ago and was on top form . Did a brilliant set in his own unique way ,such a nice lad always so friendly.introduced me to some incredable tunes over the years and will be very much missed , our thoughts and sympathy to ronnie and family god bless mark and Pam

Social source share

Shocked by this news.

Was on my honeymoon with Shelley when I found out so my emotions were all over the place as the happiest time of my life was also shared with some of the saddest news I have ever had.

Had many a beer filled great night with Welshy & he was responsible for changing my life musically.

Also had to hand over to him when he did his last spot a few years ago in Hull at the Modern Soul Classics dayer & told him he'd be back & he was to my delight.

R.I.P. Gary.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I knew Gary later rather than earlier and he became a friend and confidant. A source of great knowledge, humour and passion not just for music but for life itself. I remember double decking with him at Karen's 40th. We had a blast...........

I will miss him but mostly I will regret the contact and the phone calls I never made, that is my loss.

Very sincere condonlences to all the family,

John.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!