United Sounds - It's All Over (Baby)

Thfcliam

Yeah, I may as well post up the 45's and see if anyone can add anything;

Champ 840 The Supreme Jubilees 'Jesus, we don't never say no' / 'Listen to the raindrops'

Champ 841 Rev. Ravenell & the Jeremiah Ensemble 'Move Satan' / Unknown

Champ 842 Bill Young & the Marble City Singers 'Listen' / 'That's my mama'

Champ 843 Fabulous Friendly Four Gospel Singers 'I had it hard' / Unknown

Champ 844 Sallie & the Fantastic Davis Sisters 'Lord have mercy' / '23rd Psalm'

Champ 845 Joe L. Carter 'He Cares For Me' / 'In The Morning'

Champ 848 Robert Chatman 'Holy ghost trip' / 'Ballad of Martin Luther King'

Champ 850 The Sacred Four 'Lord I'll make it somehow' / 'Somebody watching you'

Champ 851 Golden-Aires 'The story of Jesus' / 'I've come a long way'

Champ 852 Rev. Robert Welch & the Twilight Gospel Singers of Alabama 'He holds tomorrow' / 'Let's get home'

Champ 853 The Fantastic BJ's 'Gratitude and love' / 'Best thing ever happened to me'

Champ 854 The White Singers 'Tell the angels' / 'When he spoke'

Champ 855 Helen McGiver & the McGiver Singers 'I'm just a voice' / 'Luke warm'

Champ 856 Gospel Trio of Birmingham 'The man is alright with me' / 'Don't turn away'

Champ 857 The Mighty Wonders 'With His hands' / 'Holy train'

Champ 858 The King Brothers 'Crying Lord remember' / 'Jesus loves me'

Champ 859 Evangelist Ruth C. Bell 'It's well with my soul' / 'Standing at the door'

Champ 860 Union Gospel Singers 'Right road now' / 'Oh yes He's been good to me'

Champ 861 Mighty Gospel Entertainers & Arthur Davis 'He touched me' / 'Somebody's callin' my name'

Champ 862 Sensational Friendly Six 'When trouble comes around' / 'Resting with Jesus'

Champ 863 John Cooksey & the Southern Four 'Jesus is my all and all' / 'Bye and bye'

Champ 864 Bernard Harvey & the Fantastic Clouds of Harmony 'We need love' / 'God bless this world'

Champ 1201 Chuck Stuart 'There's a tide raging on the sea' / 'Something's on my mind'

Champ 1203 Michigan Nightingales & J.B. Wells 'Do Lord remember me' / 'The Lord will make a way'

Champ 1204 Golden Trumpets 'There's been a change' / 'God's wonderful gift'

Champ 1209 The Indiana Soul Searchers Lord 'Don't move the mountain' / 'Make old satan leave me alone'

Champ 1210 The Indiana Soul Searchers 'I've found the Lord and I'm glad' / 'In a little wooden chapel'

Champ 1213 Janie Swann 'Sinner man' / 'Going home'

Champ 1226 Rising Stars 'Take time to pray' / 'The Rising Star's Prayer'

Champ 1227 Truth & Devotion 'To know Him' / 'I'm so happy'

Champ 1229 Mighty Gospel Travelers 'When the roll is called' / 'Fire'

Champ 1231 Friendly Four 'Somebody's gone' / 'If it wasn't for the Lord'

Champ 1234 Northern Travelers 'After awhile' / 'The day I was converted'

Champ 1235 Sandy Jones 'Love technician' / 'Walkin' the back streets cryin'

Champ 1236 Sermons Gospel Singers 'Ban the baptism' / 'Don't forget to pray'

Champ 1238 The Gospel Crusaders (feat. Bill Pratt) 'Ride on a cloud' / 'Pearly gates'

Champ 1238 New Gospel Stylistics 'Someone who really loves you' / 'Jesus love'

Champ 1243 Gospel Mello-Tones 'I've Been Changed' / 'Fall Down On Your Knees And Pray'

Champ 1246 Hills of Zion 'Heaven bound train' / 'Standing on the promises'

Champ 1247 Music City Gospelaires 'Step by step' / 'He's alright'

Champ 1249 Lonnie Allen Lusby 'I'm going over yonder' / 'Because He lives'

CHAMP 1252 Mighty Golden Bells 'Lord you been good'

Champ 1254 The New Hebron Echoes 'I got heaven on my mind' / 'By and by'

Champ 1255 The Dixieland Singers of Jackson, Tennessee 'Go ahead' / 'John the Revelator'

Champ 1703 The Kings of Joy 'How can I sing without the Lord' / 'Thank you Jesus'

Champ 1713 Adward Alston & the Treveletts 'In memorial' / 'Come on down'

Champ 1717 Gospel Crusaders (of Honestown, Mississippi) 'My God is real' / 'I'm on my journey'

Champ 1725 Bill Williams, Bill & the Gospel Jubilees 'Been singing so long' / 'I want to be in that meeting'

Champ 1731 Sensational Meadow Larks 'Give me just enough' / 'His love'

CHAMP 1732 Flying Clouds 'If you need a friend'

Champ 1736 The Supreme Wonders 'Somebody's calling my name' / 'Let Jesus lead you'

Champ 1739 Mighty Gospel Clouds 'God is real in my soul' / 'Jesus we love you'

Champ 1741 Sensational Monarchs 'Judgment day' / 'I just want to thank you'

Champ 1743 The Indiana Soul Searchers (& Rev. Mozel Davis) 'How I got over' / 'Living on mother's prayer'

Champ 2004 The Minors 'Unchained melody' / 'Lonely boy'

Champ 2030 Soul Impossibles 'Interpretation' / 'Soul power #1'

Edited by Greg Belson
Social source share

I have or have documented several 45s in the 20xx series. Time does not permit me to look up details though. There are two by Thee Saints and the Prince of Darkness with cool (and rare) pic sleeves, two by the Avenjuers, Three From Three, etc. Some are country.

Social source share

.............. Champ 1225 Oliver Cheatham 'Celebrate'

I already posted (most if not all of) that list as Post # 80 of this thread. The above 12" is actually a 1980's UK release on the Champion label (which has the release No. of CHAMP 12-25), so it has no connection at all to the US Champ label ...... https://www.discogs.c.../release/191308

I also noted in Post # 89 that the Minors "Lonely Boy" 45 (Champ 2004) dates from when the label was based in Johnson City (not Nashville). Champ was based in Johnson City in the early 50’s but may well have moved back there in the 60’s or for part of the 70’s. So the fact that the 2000 series have ‘higher numbers’ than other 45’s on the label may not necessarily make them later releases.

As the Minors track has much more of a 60's feel to it, I guess it can't have been put out in the early 50's when Champ was 1st based in Johnson City.

....…AND … in post # 88, I made mention of the Three Saints & the Prince of Darkness 45 that has a cover of a James Brown song on its B side — however I believe they were a garage band rather than a soul outfit.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I also noted in Post # 89 that the Minors "Lonely Boy" 45 (Champ 2004) dates from when the label was based in Johnson City (not Nashville). Champ was based in Johnson City in the early 50’s but may well have moved back there in the 60’s or for part of the 70’s. So the fact that the 2000 series have ‘higher numbers’ than other 45’s on the label may not necessarily make them later releases.

As the Minors track has much more of a 60's feel to it, I guess it can't have been put out in the early 50's when Champ was 1st based in Johnson City.

According to the info on Champ 2035 the label was then based in Nashville and the studio in Johnson City:

post-4944-0-12846400-1350891991_thumb.jp

Social source share

.............. Champ 1225 Oliver Cheatham 'Celebrate'

I already posted (most if not all of) that list as Post # 80 of this thread. The above 12" is actually a 1980's UK release on the Champion label (which has the release No. of CHAMP 12-25), so it has no connection at all to the US Champ label ...... https://www.discogs.c.../release/191308

I had my strong suspicions with that title, just didn't check it before posting......now removed.

Here's some additions;

CHAMP 1732 Flying Clouds 'If you need a friend'

CHAMP 1252 Mighty Golden Bells 'Lord you been good'

More to follow.

Social source share

....…AND … in post # 88, I made mention of the Three Saints & the Prince of Darkness 45 that has a cover of a James Brown song on its B side — however I believe they were a garage band rather than a soul outfit.

There are two Thee Saints and Prince of Darkness 45s, both are very good garage 45s. The James Brown cover is the least interesting of the four sides. Both records come with cool and rare pic sleeves (I have the records, not the sleeves). They are numbered something like 2005 and 2008. The exact info is on the internet.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Exotics "What Am I Waiting For" (United # U-0311) has been included on the recent comp CD 'Loving On The Flipside'.

The BOOK that comes with this CD (& it is a small book -- about 8" x 6") has loads of details on the group.

The Black Exotics hailed from Macon Georgia & were formed in 1970 and played loads of gigs around their home area initially.

They eventually landed gigs in Florida & toured around there, sharing a gig with Sundia & the James Jenkins Band. After that, they headed off to SC to see United Records. They cut the O'Jays track & either 250 or 500 copies of their 45 were pressed up. But they hadn't had permission to record the song & got in trouble coz of this.

The 45 wasn't really distributed at all after the trouble kicked in but it doesn't seem to be known what happened to all the 'stored copies' (guess the guy who owned the label sold them over recent years).

To get over the problems they had experienced with their 1st 45, they wrote some original songs & cut a couple of these. They cut one of the songs (in 1976) but it didn't gain a release (it was a disco-y item "Boogie To The Beat").

They next went on the road as Sam & Dave's backing band until their singer / bassist Michael Burnett was lured away to join Cameo.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!