United Sounds - It's All Over (Baby)

Thfcliam

Is this an unknown artist, or was the group really called The United Sounds, and they recorded for United Records? I'd have guessed that United Records was just the demo producer, a recording studio. Was there a United Records company in New York that also operated as a recording studio?

The demo seems to have been made in New York. Anyone know anything about the artist and production? Sounds like 1967 or 1968.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

No Robb it's from the Carolinas (same label as Mixed Feelings) - don't let the youtube picture put you off. I think a couple of the guys down there had it a few years ago, I saw it on a radio show list I seem to recall - Jason or someone similar. The first person I heard play it was Mark. The label is a bit like a Decca / Coral multicolour label and it's a "proper" 45.

I love his voice, I think he's trying to sound a bit like Stevie Wonder.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

No Robb it's from the Carolinas (same label as Mixed Feelings) - don't let the youtube picture put you off. I think a couple of the guys down there had it a few years ago, I saw it on a radio show list I seem to recall - Jason or someone similar. The first person I heard play it was Mark. The label is a bit like a Decca multicolour label and it's a "proper" 45.

His voice is amazing. Do you know anything more about the band? Who the singer was etc. Would be amazing to find out.

Social source share

butch used to play it as a c/up. At our 22nd anniversary weekender in july greg belson aired it on the friday night.."some" people by recognizing the sound of the song from various spots by butch rushed to the decks to see the real identity of said tune ... butch wasnt too amused about it ;)

great record indeed. and yet another case where "certain" people did bid said copy up higher and higher only to have completely dissappeared when it came to nail it...dont know what is their motivation to do so. do teh yget a cick from being the high bidder for three hrs on a indemander ? anyway, good for the sellers, bad for the seriously interested dj and/or collector. IMVHO.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

that one on Ebay tuther week, had the full sound file which I managed to grab.... I don't have the money to buy one of these but at least folk can now hear it on their i-pods, if anybody wants the MP3, drop us a line with your hot mail or personal email account and I'll send it over with a scan of the track.

Mal.C

Social source share

No Robb it's from the Carolinas (same label as Mixed Feelings) - don't let the youtube picture put you off. I think a couple of the guys down there had it a few years ago, I saw it on a radio show list I seem to recall - Jason or someone similar. The first person I heard play it was Mark. The label is a bit like a Decca multicolour label and it's a "proper" 45.

Hi Steve

Not sure it's same label as Mixed feelings ,but definitely same as the rare funk 45 by The black Exotics .

Very similar in colour and design as the Coral issues ...wonder if they used the same pressing plant ?

Social source share

Hi Steve

Not sure it's same label as Mixed feelings ,but definitely same as the rare funk 45 by The black Exotics .

Very similar in colour and design as the Coral issues ...wonder if they used the same pressing plant ?

It IS definately the same label Nev, just an earlier record.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

butch used to play it as a c/up. At our 22nd anniversary weekender in july greg belson aired it on the friday night.."some" people by recognizing the sound of the song from various spots by butch rushed to the decks to see the real identity of said tune ... butch wasnt too amused about it ;)

great record indeed. and yet another case where "certain" people did bid said copy up higher and higher only to have completely dissappeared when it came to nail it...dont know what is their motivation to do so. do teh yget a cick from being the high bidder for three hrs on a indemander ? anyway, good for the sellers, bad for the seriously interested dj and/or collector. IMVHO.

I didn't bid on it but,that's not a very fair statement to make re:"getting a kick out of it",not everyone knows the full history etc of records.!!!

Maybe their bid was what THEY thought may snag it.

Social source share

It IS definately the same label Nev, just an earlier record.

i've searched for a few deep ad slow items on the label myself. Found a mint linzy washington but the others evaded me.

all are very very hard to find.

first time i've seen this particualr release on open market.

Social source share

I didn't bid on it but,that's not a very fair statement to make re:"getting a kick out of it",not everyone knows the full history etc of records.!!!

Maybe their bid was what THEY thought may snag it.

fair pioint Kev, still if you are going to bid a few hundred dollars (or even thousands) on a certian record you sure would know its story or at least would have done some research prior to placing your bid, wouldnt you ?

Having said that I didnt want to sound (too) rude it is just that from day one of ebay I couldnt and still cant get my head around people bidding high sums at the start of an auction. Just like Ted MAssey has pointed out. Especially when in nine out of ten times these early bidders dont participate in said auction any more the nearer it gets to closing time. Auctiopn sniper should be the "secret" advise here...

Social source share

Well the engineer on this 45 track was Jim Stanton.

That must be the same Jim Stanton that ran Champ Records and Champ Sound Studio (of 1705 Church St. Nashville).

Don't think the studio itself was up & running untill sometime into the 70's, but Staton was known as a producer & engineer on country, blues & gospel tracks before that.

He produced / engineered loads of gospel tracks in the 1970's, most being custom recordings commisioned by the group / singer or their manager.

Maybe this was a 'one off' session for this group that he was paid to work on (maybe he produced the track as well, no producer being credited on the label).

Some of the gospel sessions he worked on resulted in releases on the Champ label itself in the 70's, but many escaped on other labels such as HSE.

He produced / engineered this track on the Speight Sisters that was released on HSE .............

Social source share

that one on Ebay tuther week, had the full sound file which I managed to grab.... I don't have the money to buy one of these but at least folk can now hear it on their i-pods, if anybody wants the MP3, drop us a line with your hot mail or personal email account and I'll send it over with a scan of the track.

Mal.C

the link i posted up to the sale still has the complete soundfile if anyone needs it :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

fair pioint Kev, still if you are going to bid a few hundred dollars (or even thousands) on a certian record you sure would know its story or at least would have done some research prior to placing your bid, wouldnt you ?

Having said that I didnt want to sound (too) rude it is just that from day one of ebay I couldnt and still cant get my head around people bidding high sums at the start of an auction. Just like Ted MAssey has pointed out. Especially when in nine out of ten times these early bidders dont participate in said auction any more the nearer it gets to closing time. Auctiopn sniper should be the "secret" advise here...

sometime bidders get disilusioned when they bid and it comes back with the `x` youve been outbib so they quit... also some know how much the can afford to spend so thats how much they put on it in hope of actually winning it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well the engineer on this 45 track was Jim Stanton.

Cheers for pointing that out....great spot that completely passed me by! :rofl:

The flip is a great ballad which kinda hints at a gospel tune......there's lyrics towards the end of the cut 'callin' on Jesus'. It's only mentioned once, so I wasn't sure if it was thinly veiled gospel.

The Jim Stanton connection might just join the dots a little more.....thanks!

Social source share

I agree with Ted and yourself Marc.Its just that early bidders live in hope,and there's nothing wrong with that.And after the initial "testing the water" or "up to the personal limit" bid comes the reality....1 day later....that the record is out of reach.

In respect of this tune,maybe the bidders were hoping it was under the radar. :)

Late bid vs Sniper Program..? Or as i call it Man vs Machine. :lol:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Been after this 45 for about 2 years now, catched me from first time i heard it til today after about 1000 listenings over the ipod. I think there are ow 6 known copies and the hope that others turn up after the high ebay price is gone.....

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Been after this 45 for about 2 years now, catched me from first time i heard it til today after about 1000 listenings over the ipod. I think there are ow 6 known copies and the hope that others turn up after the high ebay price is gone.....

yes once the cat is out of the bag all hope of cheap copies is gone....

time to move onto looking for something else.

was this frist brought to the attention of soul collectors by Jason ? he put me onto the label in a big way.

Social source share

I agree with Ted and yourself Marc.Its just that early bidders live in hope,and there's nothing wrong with that.And after the initial "testing the water" or "up to the personal limit" bid comes the reality....1 day later....that the record is out of reach.

In respect of this tune,maybe the bidders were hoping it was under the radar. :)

Late bid vs Sniper Program..? Or as i call it Man vs Machine. :lol:

ts the idiots that put im multiple bidds to find out the top drives me nuts :lol:

Social source share

The Black Exotics 45 on this label has an earlier catalogue number (311 rather than 334), and that has a cover of the O'Jays "What Am I Waiting For" on the B-side.

Presumably the Black Exotics version post-dates the O'Jays', which is on their 'Survival' LP from 1975.

So the Black Exotics should be 1975 at least, and presumably (if the catalogue numbers run as they should) the United Sounds 45 is 1975 or later...

Social source share

I think a couple of the guys down there had it a few years ago, I saw it on a radio show list I seem to recall - Jason or someone similar. The first person I heard play it was Mark.

was this frist brought to the attention of soul collectors by Jason ? he put me onto the label in a big way.

As far as I am aware yes.

Social source share

Excellent, do you have some information about the label then?

just doesnt sound that new.. all usa releases pretty much had the published year from late 1972 anyway,,is the black exotics (311) track same label as mixed feelings, ( 351),that would tie in as MF is 1976....united sounds is 0334 not 334 and has no release date and was pressed in a different place. its either an earlier series or not a related label at all.......what about cl blast what can i do ..(224) .is this united label anything to do with united sounds label? maybe 3 different labels & not connected

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

just doesnt sound that new.. all usa releases pretty much had the published year from late 1972 anyway,,is the black exotics (311) track same label as mixed feelings, ( 351),that would tie in as MF is 1976....united sounds is 0334 not 334 and has no release date and was pressed in a different place. its either an earlier series or not a related label at all.......what about cl blast what can i do ..(224) .is this united label anything to do with united sounds label? maybe 3 different labels & not connected

deffo earlier than 75

may haver been recorded earlier and not put out till 75 ?

its 100% same label as black exotics and mixed feelings and not same label as cl blast.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

its 100% same label as black exotics and mixed feelings and not same label as cl blast.

I agree Dylan.

From memory CL Blast's United was New Orleans wasn't it? And several years earlier.

Reading some of the posts this looks like another thread where there's some pretty wild guesswork going on...

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Don't think so, to be honest.

Labels are pretty similar... here's the Black Exotics.

https://www.popsike.c...nr=110642488997

Black Exotics is U 0311, United Sounds is U 0334.

South Carolina address.

so it is the same label as the black exotics( a record i dont know) :thumbsup: ......when you first put the catalogue number down you missed the zero off so i assumed it was on the same design as the mixed feelings..... so its a safe bet to say these two black decca type releases are earlier how much earlier ..who knows... sounds earlier than 1975 tho

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

so it is the same label as the black exotics( a record i dont know) :thumbsup: ......when you first put the catalogue number down you missed the zero off so i assumed it was on the same design as the mixed feelings..... so its a safe bet to say these two black decca type releases are earlier how much earlier ..who knows... sounds earlier than 1975 tho

Purely detective work here ,but i still don't see how anyone can say for certain that this label is the same as the Mixed feelings UNITED RECORDS ?

The Mixed feelings belongs to the IRDA group .. NASHVILLE ,TENNESSEE

mainly country and western records and according to the discog here ,only pressed up from 1974 onwards https://45-sleeves.co...A/irda/irda.htm

Granted the address on the Black Exotics and the United Sounds is 'nt too far away (SOUTH CAROLINA ) from where the Mixed Feelings was pressed up ,but i don't see any connection other than the name UNITED RECORDS ?

Would be interested if Steve G could give us amateur sleuths a bit more info, because "Definitely " in my book is pretty matter of fact :yes:

Edited by NEV
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!