United Sounds - It's All Over (Baby)

Thfcliam

Purely detective work here ,but i still don't see how anyone can say for certain that this label is the same as the Mixed feelings UNITED RECORDS ?

The Mixed feelings belongs to the IRDA group .. NASHVILLE ,TENNESSEE

mainly country and western records and according to the discog here ,only pressed up from 1974 onwards https://45-sleeves.co...A/irda/irda.htm

Granted the address on the Black Exotics and the United Sounds is 'nt too far away (SOUTH CAROLINA ) from where the Mixed Feelings was pressed up ,but i don't see any connection other than the name UNITED RECORDS ?

Would be interested if Steve G could give us amateur sleuths a bit more info, because "Definitely " in my book is pretty matter of fact :yes:

nev

black exitocs label scan

https://www.popsike.c...0212384736.html

so same.

but i'm now also starting too wonder about mixed feelings myself ?

jason has it up in his united discog and i've never looked into it any more than that.

https://www.carolinasoul.org/south.htm

i'm sure he would be able to clarify though.

it is well documented that mixed feelings are from carolinas so i find it to many coincidences for it to be a diofferent united label.

Edited by dylan
Social source share

so it is the same label as the black exotics( a record i dont know) :thumbsup: ......when you first put the catalogue number down you missed the zero off so i assumed it was on the same design as the mixed feelings..... so its a safe bet to say these two black decca type releases are earlier how much earlier ..who knows... sounds earlier than 1975 tho

The engineer on the Black Exotics 45 was Jim Stanton as well; so guess both thIs & the United Sounds were cut in Nashville; probably at his Champ Sound Studios.

With regard to it sounding earlier than 1975 ....... most stuff that Jim Staton did was gospel tracks (+ country tracks I am led to believe -- stuff that came out on Rich-R-Tone Records).

Most gospel acts in the 70's & 80's were going for a retro sound; so a male gospel quartet in 1973 would have been aiming to sound more like the late 60's Four Tops or O'Jays than to copy the current tracks those groups were recording. With most of his work having a retro sound, perhaps both these groups wanted a similar retro sound when they worked with him (or maybe that's the type of sound he always aimed for).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Just looked and the Linzy Washington 45 was also engineered by Jim Stanton; so I guess he was responsible for most of the initial 4/5 soul singles released on the label.

Is the "Sitting In The Park" that was released on the label a cover of the old Billy Stewart song ?

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

nev

black exitocs label scan

https://www.popsike.c...0212384736.html

so same.

but i'm now also starting too wonder about mixed feelings myself ?

jason has it up in his united discog and i've never looked into it any more than that.

i'm sure he would be able to clarify though.

it is well documented that mixed feelings are from carolinas so i find it to many coincidences for it to be a diofferent united label.

Hi Dylan..just realised my last message was confusing .... i know that the Black Exotics and United sounds are definitely on the same label ,but was questioning the Mixed feelings being the same United records company ?

You can research UNITED RECORDS and find info realating to a company from Nashville ,Tennessee that are still on the go today and have been making records since 1949 ,so is this also just a co-incidence that means they made the Mixed Feelings 45 ?

Jason might have the answers ,but i think most of us are just here speculating ,going on hunches ?

Social source share

The engineer on the Black Exotics 45 was Jim Stanton as well; so guess both thIs & the United Sounds were cut in Nashville; probably at his Champ Sound Studios.

With regard to it sounding earlier than 1975 ....... most stuff that Jim Staton did was gospel tracks (+ country tracks I am led to believe -- stuff that came out on Rich-R-Tone Records).

Most gospel acts in the 70's & 80's were going for a retro sound; so a male gospel quartet in 1973 would have been aiming to sound more like the late 60's Four Tops or O'Jays than to copy the current tracks those groups were recording. With most of his work having a retro sound, perhaps both these groups wanted a similar retro sound when they worked with him (or maybe that's the type of sound he always aimed for).

that does sound feasible..i was just wondering about the age of the united sounds 45 and questioning if the united labels were related . before today i`d never heard of the black exotics 45 but when it was mentioned earlier it was a 3 digit and not 4 digit catalogue number mentioned so i assumed it was same label as mixed feelings and not united sounds, the ojays track thats on the flip of the black exotics 45 was written by sigler and tyson so it would be a fair bet ( not 100% tho ) to say that the o`jays version would be first, is there another version maybe

Social source share

F.F.S the Nashville company was a distribution company. Thought everyone knew about IRDA?

Mixed Feelings is from SC, the same as United Sounds. The evidence is also on the records - same publisher - if anyone bothered to look.

I am getting cross now with these "ameteur sleuth posts", it's happening too often on here.....go and ask Jason if you don't want to believe what anyone else says. OR BETTER STILL try doing a bit of research.....before posting dubious posts.

This is what, if anyone could be bothered, 20 seconds of googling would produce you on Mixed Feelings.....See South Carolina....QED.

Originally released on United World Of Music Records.

Based in St. Matthews, South Carolina, Mixed Feelings band leader and keyboard player Glenn Walling never expected that "Sha-La-La" would become an international sensation three decades after its original release. Drafting it on the fly in under 20 minutes in 1976, he intended it for the flip side of the group's self-proclaimed masterpiece, a country-inflected soul ballad entitled "Love Will Find A Way," but the Nashville-based distributor inadvertently switched up the sides on the promotional copies.

The Mixed Feelings grew out of the all-white Royals, an R&B/beach combo that Walling formed with friends from St. Matthews as well as nearby Orangeburg, South Carolina. The Royals met vocalist Arthur Donaldson in oksuccessfully auditioned him for lead vocalist, adding him as a permanent member the next year, and changing names to "Mixed Feelings." The new handle reflected the group's unheard-of integration as well as a "mixed" repertoire expanded to include doo-wop and Top-40.

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Mike Johnson terms himself as Country Music's No. 1 'Black' Yodeler. Born in DC to parents who came from SC, he's been singing C&W songs since the mid 60's (he was always a big 'cowboy' fan).

After cutting some earlier songs in Nashville, he eventually met up with Jim Stanton in 1983 & started recording at Champ Recording Studio on Church Street. Jim mentored Mile who continued to record his songs at Champ Studio until Jim Stanton's untimely death in 1989.

Mike says "Jim taught me how the Nashville clique thought and worked..."

So it seems that Jim Staton's heart was more into C&W than soul or gospel but he cut the later music styles to keep his studio busy.

post-22122-0-79924400-1348849429_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

MORE on Jim 'Hobie' Stanton -- the engineer (& probably producer) of many of the United Records soul tracks ..............

In the 1940s, Hobe Stanton of Johnson City (Tennessee) pioneered some of the earliest recordings of what today are recognized as "bluegrass" recordings.

Jim Hobart (Hobe) Stanton was a distributor who installed records in local jukeboxes in 1946. His ear for music and knowledge of local tastes helped him earn more by producing records himself. Much as Victor Records' Ralph Peer had done in 1927-1928, Stanton sought local talent, finding as much as he needed. His initial investment was minimal. Performers were eager to record, and regional radio stations had studios and equipment available for making master recordings on acetate discs (tape mastering was still a few years in the future). Prominent among those stations was WOPI in Bristol, Va. but other artists were cut at WWNC (Asheville, N. C.) and WWVA (Wheeling, W.Va).

Masters were processed and records were pressed at Palda Records in Philadelphia, another independent producer.

Payments to artists were minimal, but most were glad simply to be on record. A few even paid Stanton for the privilege.

Several addresses for his Rich-R'-Tone Records appeared in contemporary trade journals:

Rich-R'-Tone Record Co., 113 W. Main Street, Johnson City, Tennessee (January 1949);

Rich-R'-Tone and Acme Record Record Co., Inc., Campbellsville, Ky., (August 1952);

Rich-R'-Tone Record Co., 407 W. Main St., Morristown, Tenn., (December 1953).

I have no idea when Jim relocated to Nashville, no doubt that info can be found on some C&W site on the internet.

He seemed to open his own studio (Champ Sound Studios) around the mid 1970's.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

F.F.S the Nashville company was a distribution company. Thought everyone knew about IRDA?

Mixed Feelings is from SC, the same as United Sounds. The evidence is also on the records - same publisher - if anyone bothered to look.

I am getting cross now with these "ameteur sleuth posts", it's happening too often on here.....go and ask Jason if you don't want to believe what anyone else says. OR BETTER STILL try doing a bit of research.....before posting dubious posts.

This is what, if anyone could be bothered, 20 seconds of googling would produce you on Mixed Feelings.....See South Carolina....QED.

Originally released on United World Of Music Records.

Based in St. Matthews, South Carolina, Mixed Feelings band leader and keyboard player Glenn Walling never expected that "Sha-La-La" would become an international sensation three decades after its original release. Drafting it on the fly in under 20 minutes in 1976, he intended it for the flip side of the group's self-proclaimed masterpiece, a country-inflected soul ballad entitled "Love Will Find A Way," but the Nashville-based distributor inadvertently switched up the sides on the promotional copies.

The Mixed Feelings grew out of the all-white Royals, an R&B/beach combo that Walling formed with friends from St. Matthews as well as nearby Orangeburg, South Carolina. The Royals met vocalist Arthur Donaldson in oksuccessfully auditioned him for lead vocalist, adding him as a permanent member the next year, and changing names to "Mixed Feelings." The new handle reflected the group's unheard-of integration as well as a "mixed" repertoire expanded to include doo-wop and Top-40.

not everyone can afford to sit about at a computer all day like you steve..please dont get cross with us just because were not worthy

Social source share

I don't sit at a computer all day Dave, today I've been two hours in the dentists chair this morning....

This is supposed to be a serious forum, and some of the wild guesswork going on here is crazy, when in 20 seconds (not all day) you can find out that Mixed Feelings and United Sounds are on the same label. Both myself and Dylan said so from the off, but that's not good enough, we still get "I'm not so sure" stuff from others......And the CL Blast stuff - honestly! It's great that people ask questions, but some of the attempts at 'dot joining' and disputing is not helpful since it confuses the facts......all I ask is that people do a little research before making assumptions.....

Anyway I am going to watch Corrie, chill out, and nurse my wounded gums......Cheers...

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't sit at a computer all day Dave, today I've been two hours in the dentists chair this morning....

This is supposed to be a serious forum, and some of the wild guesswork going on here is crazy, when in 20 seconds (not all day) you can find out that Mixed Feelings and United Sounds are on the same label. Both myself and Dylan said so from the off, but that's not good enough, we still get "I'm not so sure" stuff from others......And the CL Blast stuff - honestly! It's great that people ask questions, but some of the attempts at 'dot joining' and disputing is not helpful since it confuses the facts......all I ask is that people do a little research before making assumptions.....

Anyway I am going to watch Corrie, chill out, and nurse my wounded gums......Cheers...

Ffs it's like pulling teeth at times eh Steve ;)

Hope the dentist didn't touch a raw nerve mate .lol

Social source share

with respect to steve's post, i also personally get annoyed at speculation posted as fact, etc. however, annoying nerds like me (probably a fun / productive activity) isn't the issue, the issue is that it's being posted on the internet which then becomes googleable as some sort of authoritative source of information, and then "facts" spread by being copied across different mediums. It's different than talking to your friends in a bar or email.

even i've said stuff that ended up being wrong, my only point is to put in some due diligence (e.g. at least a quick google, doesn't take hours) into looking into something if it's gonna be posted. also, you often end up learning about interesting things / connections you never thought of before.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

with respect to steve's post, i also personally get annoyed at speculation posted as fact, etc. however, annoying nerds like me (probably a fun / productive activity) isn't the issue, the issue is that it's being posted on the internet which then becomes googleable as some sort of authoritative source of information, and then "facts" spread by being copied across different mediums. It's different than talking to your friends in a bar or email.

even i've said stuff that ended up being wrong, my only point is to put in some due diligence (e.g. at least a quick google, doesn't take hours) into looking into something if it's gonna be posted. also, you often end up learning about interesting things / connections you never thought of before.

With all due respect Bob ,what facts are in danger of being twisted ?

..if someone actually said this record is not so and so and presented some bulls**t false story I'd be inclined to agree ,but debating is what got the proof us less knowledgeable types fished for .

It's a forum set up for members to discuss ,if someone googles and reads this ,they will actually read the full thread and get the right answers ..thanks to me questioning Steve G ,who could have saved us all a lot of trouble and posted the info he googled ,about the same time he answered my initial post !

And I thought I was a smart arse lol

Social source share

..if someone actually said this record is not so and so and presented some bulls**t false story I'd be inclined to agree ,but debating is what got the proof us less knowledgeable types fished for .

It's a forum set up for members to discuss ,if someone googles and reads this ,they will actually read the full thread and get the right answers ..thanks to me questioning Steve G ,who could have saved us all a lot of trouble and posted the info he googled ,about the same time he answered my initial post !

I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who has talked to many artists that have had misinformation spread about them via rumors posted on the internet which have been repeatedly copied as fact. They might be pieces of plastic but real people's lives were involved and they get angry and feel powerless to stop the misinformation or even to just get properly credited for their life's work.

Sure it's a discussion forum, I'm not saying not to discuss, just saying to take a minute to try to actually make an informed post. If you're honestly interested in answering a question vs. just participating in banter, I would think you would want to do that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No wrong way round Nev.

I told you it was the same label right upfront, BUT you kept going on "I am not so sure, it says Nashville bla bla, I think it might be different bla bla" - that's when I did the google and posted it up. Had you done the google in the first place, or checked the two record scans for publisher credits, the outcome would have been the same, but you wouldn't have posted those comments.

I wouldn't have told you they were from SC and the same label if they weren't. Why should I have to post up stuff from the internet for you to believe it?

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

No wrong way round Nev.

I told you it was the same label right upfront, BUT you kept going on "I am not so sure, it says Nashville bla bla, I think it might be different bla bla" - that's when I did the google and posted it up. Had you done the google in the first place, or checked the two record scans for publisher credits, the outcome would have been the same, but you wouldn't have posted those comments.

I wouldn't have told you they were from SC and the same label if they weren't. Why should I have to post up stuff from the internet for you to believe it?

Steve ...because it costs nothing to help people ...if i told you there were only 4 copies of the record ever made ...but didnt give you reasons as to how i knew ..would you google the info or just ask me how i knew ?

The fact is ... me and many others who log into soulsource ,actually quite enjoy finding the info supplied by the more knowledgeable people on here ,without having to scour google as well.

I will be the first to admit that i actually prefer the content on a 45 ..the sound that i hear is what gets my interest in the first place ..the rest comes with trying to find the record ...so yes ,i scour the internet looking for leads to thing that i want .. but im no geek ..its a need to know basis and ive probably forgot more that i know .

But trust me ..i get a lot of people pm me asking for info on certain records ...and guess what ?? surprise surprise ...i open up another page on my pc ..google for the info and get back to the person who pm'd me and give them the info .... But i don't ever get all high and mighty and tell em to go and find out for yourself ,its all out there on planet google !

By the way ... i spend about 39 hrs of my week on a building site ,laying bricks ..most of my spare time ..looking for records ...but if i can help someone ..hey ,its no problem !

If you wanna discuss further ,do it by pm ,cos i really don't wanna keep replying on a thread about a ceratin record /records :(

Social source share

Steve ...because it costs nothing to help people ...if i told you there were only 4 copies of the record ever made ...but didnt give you reasons as to how i knew ..would you google the info or just ask me how i knew ?

The fact is ... me and many others who log into soulsource ,actually quite enjoy finding the info supplied by the more knowledgeable people on here ,without having to scour google as well.

I will be the first to admit that i actually prefer the content on a 45 ..the sound that i hear is what gets my interest in the first place ..the rest comes with trying to find the record ...so yes ,i scour the internet looking for leads to thing that i want .. but im no geek ..its a need to know basis and ive probably forgot more that i know .

But trust me ..i get a lot of people pm me asking for info on certain records ...and guess what ?? surprise surprise ...i open up another page on my pc ..google for the info and get back to the person who pm'd me and give them the info .... But i don't ever get all high and mighty and tell em to go and find out for yourself ,its all out there on planet google !

Argghhh! Stop trying to twist things around. I answered the question (as I always do when I know an answer) right from the off, post 3 or 4, and that should have been that, but you simply didn't want to believe it for some reason. I'm done with this now. Corrie is on. Over and out. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Lets get back on track .....

Is there anything much on the net (even C&W related) about Jim Stanton and his Nashville Champ Sound Studios.

Seems strange that there is loads about his early years cutting in radio stn studios, but not much about his work in his own studio (apart from details of many of the gospel tracks he produced / engineered).

Social source share

Jim Stanton related gospel info ............

The Goldenaires were originally brought together in 1968 by Jesse Willingham, gathering at his grandmother's home on Windham Street in Cincinnati. The original members were Jesse Willingham, Booker Frost, Mike Rocker, Thomas Tobey, and Delbert and Chafois "Chappie"Â Gilliam. At the time of their first recording, for Style Wooten's Designer label around 1974, the group included key members George Russell, Rev. Leon Hamner, Willie Collins, and Keith Little.

After a one-off 45 for the local ARC label, the group was introduced to Jim Stanton by a member of the Gospel Stirrers after playing a program in Nashville. Jim Stanton ran a recording studio on Church Street in Nashville, and produced records on his Champ label. From about 1976 to 1982 the group recorded four outstanding albums at Champ Studios, two released on Champ and the other two on Su-Ann and HSE, produced by Hoyt Sullivan who worked closely with Stanton. The group toured and performed extensively through those years.

----------------------------------------------

The offices and studio of Champ were right next door to HSE at 1705 Church Street in Nashville, Tennessee (no doubt many outfits paid for a recording session at his studio & then took the master tape straight into HSE Records). Champ owner Jim Stanton's hands on approach is evident when looking at label scans and albums covers. He is credited on many Champ productions as producer and / or engineer. With minimal budgets Stanton was able to make some of the most interesting gospel records of the time. Stanton wasn't only recording gospel, he was also involved in the recording of many country tunes. And for a time he even owned the country label Rich-R-Tone Records. Stanton was involved in the music business till his death in 1989. This 45 listing is far from complete.

Champ 840 The Supreme Jubilees - Jesus, we don't never say no / Listen to the raindrops

Champ 841 Rev. Ravenell & the Jeremiah Ensemble - Move Satan / Unknown

Champ 842 Bill Young & the Marble City Singers — Listen / That's my mama

Champ 843 Fabulous Friendly Four Gospel Singers - I had it hard / Unknown

Champ 844 Sallie & the Fantastic Davis Sisters - Lord have mercy / 23rd Psalm

Champ 845 Joe L. Carter - He Cares For Me / In The Morning

Champ 848 Robert Chatman - Holy ghost trip / Ballad of Martin Luther King

Champ 850 The Sacred Four - Lord I'll make it somehow / Somebody watching you

Champ 851 Golden-Aires -- The story of Jesus / I've come a long way

Champ 852 Rev. Robert Welch & the Twilight Gospel Singers of Alabama - He holds tomorrow / Let's get home

Champ 853 The Fantastic BJ's - Gratitude and love / Best thing ever happened to me

Champ 854 The White Singers - Tell the angels / When he spoke

Champ 855 Helen McGiver & the McGiver Singers - I'm just a voice / Luke warm

Champ 856 Gospel Trio of Birmingham - The man is alright with me / Don't turn away

Champ 857 The Mighty Wonders - With His hands / Holy train

Champ 858 The King Brothers - Crying Lord remember / Jesus loves me

Champ 859 Evangelist Ruth C. Bell - It's well with my soul / Standing at the door

Champ 860 Union Gospel Singers - Right road now / Oh yes He's been good to me

Champ 861 Mighty Gospel Entertainers & Arthur Davis - He touched me / Somebody's callin my name

Champ 862 Sensational Friendly Six - When trouble comes around / Resting with Jesus

Champ 863 John Cooksey & the Southern Four - Jesus is my all and all / Bye and bye

Champ 864 Bernard Harvey & the Fantastic Clouds of Harmony - We need love / God bless this world

Champ 1201 Chuck Stuart - There's a tide raging on the sea / Something's on my mind

Champ 1203 Michingan Nightingales & J.B. Wells - Do Lord remember me / The Lord will make a way

Champ 1204 Golden Trumpets - There's been a change / God's wonderful gift

Champ 1209 The Indiana Soul Searchers - Lord, don't move the mountain / Make old satan leave me alone

Champ 1210 The Indiana Soul Searchers - I've found the Lord and I'm glad / In a little wooden chapel

Champ 1213 Janie Swann - Sinner man / Going home

Champ 1225 Oliver Cheatham — Celebrate / dub side ... ADDED IN ERROR

Champ 1226 Rising Stars - Take time to pray / The Rising Star's Prayer

Champ 1227 Truth & Devotion - To know Him / I'm so happy

Champ 1229 Mighty Gospel Travelers - When the roll is called / Fire

Champ 1231 Friendly Four - Somebody's gone / If it wasn't for the Lord

Champ 1234 Northern Travelers - After awhile / The day I was converted

Champ 1235 Sandy Jones - Love technician / Walkin' the back streets cryin'

Champ 1236 Sermons Gospel Singers - Ban the baptism / Don't forget to pray

Champ 1238 The Gospel Crusaders (feat. Bill Pratt) - Ride on a cloud / Pearly gates

Champ 1238 New Gospel Stylistics - Someone who really loves you / Jesus love

Champ 1243 Gospel Mello-Tones -- I've Been Changed / Fall Down On Your Knees And Pray

Champ 1246 Hills of Zion - Heaven bound train / Standing on the promises

Champ 1247 Music City Gospelaires - Step by step / He's alright

Champ 1249 Lonnie Allen Lusby - I'm going over yonder / Because He lives

Champ 1254 The New Hebron Echoes - I got heaven on my mind / By and by

Champ 1255 The Dixieland Singers of Jackson - Go ahead / John the Revelator

Champ 1703 The Kings of Joy - How can I sing without the Lord / Thank you Jesus

Champ 1713 Adward Alston & the Treveletts - In memorial / Come on down

Champ 1717 Gospel Crusaders (of Honestown, Mississippi) - My God is real / I'm on my journey

Champ 1725 Bill Williams, Bill & the Gospel Jubilees - Been singing so long / I want to be in that meeting

Champ 1731 Sensational Meadow Larks - Give me just enough / His love

Champ 1736 The Supreme Wonders - Somebody's calling my name / Let Jesus lead you

Champ 1739 Mighty Gospel Clouds - God is real in my soul / Jesus we love you

Champ 1741 Sensational Monarchs - Judgment day / I just want to thank you

Champ 1743 The Indiana Soul Searchers (& Rev. Mozel Davis) - How I got over / Living on mother's prayer

Champ 2004 The Minors - Unchained melody / Lonely boy

Champ 2030 Soul Impossibles —Interpretation; Soul power #1 / Souladelic (not gospel) ............ 1971 ..... Carolina Funk --- uses the same groove pioneered by James Brown. The band plays it hard, the roughshod production only serving to highlight the attack of each scratchy guitar chord or well-hit snare. This is a direct homages to Carolina's #1 soul brother (JB was born in South Carolina); ultra-gritty "Interpretation: Soul Power No. 1" which is essentially a modification of a similarly named Brown track.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I have or have seen numerous 45s on Champ and United not mentioned here. This seems to have been an operation similar to Bright Star, in that most of the records seem to be pay to play deals, with the label having some actual A&R department that 'signed' artists along with the artists submissions. For example, there are two records by the Avenjuers on Champ that were pay to play, the band was from the Columbus, OH area. They seem to be the exception as all the other rock 45s on the labels originate from the south as far as I know (I would need to check on the Champ artists origins).

Social source share

............... I have or have seen numerous 45s on Champ and United not mentioned here ...............

I think we are only interested in the soul & gospel releases here.

It would be a help to list any such 45's on the label that aren't already detailed here.

Not sure where stuff likethe Three Saints & the Prince of Darkness 45 sits as the B side is a cover of a James Brown song.

ALSO ... loads of gospel artists who cut stuff at Jim's Champ Sound Studio went straight next door to 1707 where HSE Records were based & got a deal.

At one stage (around the mid 70's) I believe there was a more formal tie-up between Jim & HSE.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I have or have seen numerous 45s on Champ and United not mentioned here ...............

I think we are only interested in the soul & gospel releases here.

It would be a help to list any such 45's on the label that aren't already detailed here.

Found this one Roburt at the local flea market (Savannah Georgia) a couple of weeks ago, gospel sound. This is actually the B side, the A side is titled "The lords prayer" and yep it's exactly that.

David.

post-11799-0-52360900-1349223659_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

one would probably have more success negotiating the pain threshold while trying to repeatedly punch oneself in the face as opposed to trying to assemble a definitive discography for Champ, Designer would be even worse, United wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so rare. Seriously, the quantity of releases on Champ & Designer is :huh::(

Social source share

Lots of information is on the internet already. For example:

label.gif 2. label.gif only soul releases

U-0166 Linzy Washington "If You Want To Cry (Like A Baby)/ You Don't Know"

U-0278 Sundia "Stand Up And Be A Man/ Pt. 2" 1975 First pressing shows incorrect title "Stand Up Like A Man/ Pt. 2"

U-0300 Dirk and Tony "I Dig You Baby/ Sitting In The Park" 1975

U-0311 The Black Exotics "What Am I Waiting For/ Theme of Blackbyrds" 1975

U-0317 Joseph Bowman "What Is Love/ Fairlane Vera" 1975

U-0326 The Ufonics "Cut The Mustard/ It's You"

351 Mixed Feelings "Sha-La-La/ Love Will Find A Way" 1976

No # Lu's Grooves to Satisfaction "Make Me Feel Real/ The Time Is Now"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guess that Sensational Travelling Souls 45 on United could just as easily have escaped on Champ itself (Jim Stanton being involved).

So are there anymore gospel 45's on United ???

Another obscure (& very rare) label to chase now then -- guess we need a full label listing with all the pop / rock acts identified, so that we don't risk buying the dodo (from our point of view) that exists on there.

Social source share

Lots of information is on the internet already. For example:

United West Columbia 1. label.gif 2. label.gif only soul releases

U-0166 Linzy Washington "If You Want To Cry (Like A Baby)/ You Don't Know"

U-0278 Sundia "Stand Up And Be A Man/ Pt. 2" 1975 First pressing shows incorrect title "Stand Up Like A Man/ Pt. 2"

U-0300 Dirk and Tony "I Dig You Baby/ Sitting In The Park" 1975

U-0311 The Black Exotics "What Am I Waiting For/ Theme of Blackbyrds" 1975

U-0317 Joseph Bowman "What Is Love/ Fairlane Vera" 1975

U-0326 The Ufonics "Cut The Mustard/ It's You"

351 Mixed Feelings "Sha-La-La/ Love Will Find A Way" 1976

No # Lu's Grooves to Satisfaction "Make Me Feel Real/ The Time Is Now"

keep up bob i've already posted a link to this :D

Social source share

keep up bob i've already posted a link to this :D

sorry i skimmed the thread... there were many posts after yours talking about attempting to make a discography which is what I was responding to. You probably should have been annoyed much earlier...

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

trying to assemble a definitive discography for Champ

Here's a stab borrowed from another site at the LP's......just the 45's to go ;)

Champ Album Discography

1701 The Rogers Brothers - I Am Going Home

1702-S The Dixon Singers - He's All Right With Me

1704 The Original Truetone Singers of Andrews, SC - Lord Keep Me Day By Day

1707-S Brother Curtiss Dingle and the Exciting Cavalairs - I Am Free From The World Of Sin

1708 The Fabulous Sensationals - A Better World

1715 The Gospel Dynamics - I'm Going On (on Skyland)

1720 Freddie King and the King Brothers - Old Time Way (Jacket reads "LP-1901," but label reads LP-1720)

1721-S Joanne Williams - Think About Your Soul

1722 Troy Jackson and The Jacksonettes - What The World Needs Is Love

1723 The Royal Harmoneers - Time Is Winding Up

1724 Jimmy Scott & the Gospel Stars - Who Am I?

1727 The Exciting Linen Singers - Standing For Jesus

1728 The Harps Of Zion (The Sain Brothers) - God Cares

1729 Clarence Taylor & the McGauley Singers - We've Come A Long Way

1732 The Southern Gates - Be Nice

1734 Rev. Bolton Black - A Pusher For God (sermon)

1736 C.J. Taylor and the Taylor Brothers - We've Come A Long Way

1742 The Indiana Soul Searchers - Living On Mother's Prayer

1746 The Golden-Aires - I've Come A Long Way

1751 The Memphis Singing Southern Echoes - Best of The...

1752 The Dixie Travelers - If It Ain’t One Thing It’s Another

1755 The Hope Family Singers - What Does Jesus Mean To Me

1756 The Piney Grove Spiritual Singers - Get Back Satan

1757 Dorothy Glass - New Creature

1758 J.K. Davis & the Humble Spiritualettes - So Meek And Lowly

1759 The Marvelous Goldenaires - Show Me The Way

1760 The Mighty Tenernears - Still Believe In Love

1761 The Spirit Of West Point - You Ought To Try God

1762 The Flying Eagles Gospel Singers - Another Day's Journey

1763 The Universal Gospel Disciples - Keep Me Close

1764 The Gospel Crusaders - Power In The Blood

1766 The Gospel Upsetters - God, He's So Beautiful

1767 The Sensational Famous Friendly Four - This Little Light Of Mine

1769 The Gospel Entertainers - God Specialized

1770 The Sensational Heavenly Harmonizers - Better Home In The Sky

1771 Sallie and the Fantastic Davis Sisters - Lord Have Mercy

1772 The Gospel Seranadors - Old Ship Of Zion

1782 The Soulful Sons Of Zion - Peace N The Valley

1901 Rev. Charlie Pulliam and the Young Disciples - God Can Do Anything But Fail

1902 Mighty Superior Quartette - Tell The World (listed on label as cat # 9102)

1905 The Fantastic Clouds Of Harmony - Been Lied On // The Southern Travelers - Teach Me Right From Wrong (split LP)

1907 The Michigan Nightingales - Together Again

1908 The Gospel Comforters - Noah's Ark

1909 The Gospel Seven - When I See Jesus

1910 The Sensational Bright Stars of Bluff City - Introducing The...

1911 Vernon Henderson presents V.O.B.E. (Voices Of Beautiful Expression) - He Ransomed Me

1913 The Clefs of Faith - Memories

1914 The Smiling Jubilairs of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida - Can't You See How The Done My Lord

1915 The Marble City Singers - Fooled Around And Found The Lord

1916 The Gill Singers - God's Love For Me

1918 The Gospel Crusaders - Child's Prayer

1919 The Sensational Wonders of the Twin Cities - Amazing Grace

1920 Rev. Professor Harold Boggs - If You Can Take It — You Can Make It

1921 The Sensational Bright Stars of Bluff City - God Is So Able

1925 The Mighty Gospel Travelers - God’s Got The Whole World In His Hands

1926 The Cospel Comforters - Father Forgive Them

1927 (The Explosive Sounds Of) Dorothy Glass - God Has An Unseen Eye

1929 Ozzie Rawls - Ozzie Plays Gospel Music

1930 The Spiritual Tornados - Jesus Is Real

1931 Piney Grove Spiritual Singers of Milledgeville, GA - Jesus Is The One

1931 The Kings of Harmony - I've Had My Chance

1933 The Mighty Gospel Miracles - Sing So God Can Use You

1934 Oakridge Temple Heavenly Chorus - featuring Changes

1935 The Mighty Cross of Calvary - Jesus Is My Precious King

1936 The Friendship All Denominational Radio Choir - Recorded Live

1937 The Stars of Glory - I'm On My Way

1939 The Phillips Temple Harmonizers - That's How Strong God's Love Is

1939 Rev. P.W. Waller - Making A Noise For Jesus (sermon)

1942 Brother Robert Welch - A Shoulder To Lean On

1943 The Southern Gate Singers - If You Can't Say Something Good Don't Say Nothing At All

1944 The Dynamic Travelairs of Buffalo, NY - There Will Be Peace

1945 The Manigault Special - Lord Don’t Let Me Fall

1948 The Gospel Entertainers - He's Blessing Me (Plus Many Other Favorites)

1949 The Travelaires - I’ve Got A Mansion

1950 Chuck Stuart & the Spirits of Joy - ???

1952 The Michigan Nightingales - This Little Light Of Mine

1953 The Mighty Travelers - A Blessing

1954 The Sensational Wonders of the Twin Cities - Jesus Is Calling Today

1957 The True Believers - Introducing The...

1958 Frankie Owens and The Gospel Imperials - Inflation

1959 The Golden Stars - Lord I Put My Trust In Thee

1960 The Spiritual Harmonizers - Watching And Waiting

1961 The Smiling Jubilairs of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida - Prayer

1962 Andrew Wartts & the Gospel Storytellers - There Is A God Somewhere

1963 Dorothy Glass - The Only Way Out Is To Let Him In

1964 The Mighty Ambassadors - Best of The...

1965 The Dynamic Travelairs of Buffalo, New York - Second Time Around

1966 T.J. Jordan & The Mighty Allstars - Great Things

1967 The Stars Of Glory - We Need The Lord

1968 Rev. Professor Harold Boggs - Goodbye World

1969 The Smiling Jubilaires - The Smiling Jubilaires' Prayer

1974 The Gospel Sensations - God Is Love

1976 Sis Ethel Stanley & the Gospel Superiors - Jesus Is Calling On You

1977 The Highways Serenaders - Jesus Is Standing By

1978 The Sensational Friendly Four of Selma, AL - Anniversary Special

1979 The Cincinnati Golden Aires - We That Know Him

1983 Samuel Jones and the Sensational Brotherhood - When The Gates Swing Open

1984 Rev. J.E. Taylor - Sermons For Today and Tomorrow

1987 The Silver Harps of Detroit, MI - Surely God Is Able

1988 The Southern Four - Who Is The Stranger

1989 Memory Gospel Singers - Going To The City

1990 The Gospel Stylistics - Walk In Gethsemane

1992 The Mighty Golden Bells - Rest Awhile

1997 The Sensational Singing Stars - Come And Go To That Land

2003 The Faithful Gospel Singers - Try Jesus

2005 Rev. Walter McDaniel Jr. & The Gospel Wind - s/t

2006 The Stars Of Glory - Trying To Make It Home

2008 The Kings of Israel of Florida - O How I Love Jesus

2009 Mighty Zion Trumpets - Keep On Singing On

2011 The Gospel Starlites of Lousiville, KY- Why?

2024 The Golden Swan Gospel Singers - God's Love

2030 The Mighty Silver Clouds of Monticello, GA - The Mighty Silver Clouds

2032 Evangelist Rosetta Swain - Me & Thee

2033 Gloria Duncan Bell & the Revelation Singers - s/t

2106 The Michigan Soul Searchers of Muskegon, Michigan - Tell The World

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!