News: Sad News Frank Wilson Has Died

A man that will forever be synonymous with our music for everyone no matter how little they know or understand it. A full and productive life well lived .

Condolences to all his family and friends who will hopefully find strength in the fact he touched som many lives in such a positive way.

Rest in peace, live in the memory.

Social source share

RIP Frank. He wrote and produced many of the soul scene's favourites such as:

Lenny Williams - Choosing You

Renee Geyer - Be There In The Morning

Eddie Kendricks - Girl, You Need a Change of Mind

Alton McClain & Destiny - It Must Be Love

I always loved his own "Sweeter As The Days Go By" too.

Social source share

How sad ...how very sad...Do I Love You.....i can still remember that feeling when i heard it for the first time at Wigan's 6th...and the reaction it got from the dancefloor....be nice if it gets played out this weekend as a tribute....Delxxx

Yes... I was there that night too... it was amazing hearing that record and, if memory serves me correctly, it wasn't too long before it was played again that night. It was one of those special moments that I'll remember as long as my brain lets me.

Once again, thanks for all your music Mr Wilson.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Very sad news indeed! such a nice down to earth man, that even took time out on the Sunday night at the Cala Gran to talk to a friend and myself about an acetate of his I acquired some thirty odd years previous. A true gent that will never be forgotten on this scene R.I.P. Mr Wilson God Bless You.

Social source share

So Sad to hear that another legend has lost his human form.

Legend is distinguished from the genre of chronicle by the fact that legends apply structures that reveal a moral definition to events, providing meaning that lifts them above the repetitions and constraints of average human lives and giving them a universality that makes them worth repeating through many generations.

The above is certainly appropriate for Mr Wilson, I for one wish to hear his vocal & written musical presence for as many more years as I can.

R.I.P Frank

Social source share

I listen to the Richard Searling interview with Frank all the time, and in a way its kind of lead me to know him, obviously I don't and have never met him, but I'm really shocked by this news.

Indeed an absolute legend in the history of Pop Music, all my condolences to his family and friends.

Malcolm

Social source share

Cant remember the first time I heard it but Do I Love You was a massive part of my youth, great memories of a fantastic time.

Got fed up with it in recent times but probably the most significant record played on our scene ever. Not forgetting his other contributions of course but you can't get away from the impact of this record.

RIP Frank and thanks.........

Social source share

Sorry to hear this sad news. Frank passed away after a long battle with prostrate cancer.

So many magnificent pieces of work from this fantastic producer.

To hear him at his very best, take a moment to listen to the Four Tops 'Still Water' to hear a genius at work.

Seminal music that will live on forever.

RIP

Sean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ToR5YyBdQ

straight ten 4 that sean.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i would say, that of all the commercial recordings he was responsible for at motown, that gave him his biggest u.k. success, "stoned love" was probably the one....reaching #2 on the british charts...but of course his involvment went way back to 64/65 so he really dedicated a large slice of his life and effort to the corporation...i bristle with emotional anticipation at the reception his eponymous offering is going to get at stoke on october 6th...i imagine i wont be the only one...

Social source share

R.I.P. Frank - a proper soul legend!

DILY (not to mention his other contributions) will ensure his legend lives on. Always was and always will be for me THE record which epitomises what a Northern Soul record should sound like.

Edited by Stubbsy
Social source share

Rest in Peace Frank along with Marvin, Norman, Tony, Jackie and all the other Soul Masters who have left us. There must be one hell of a party goin' on up there.

"Do I love you" although suffering from over exposure is still for me one of the greatest Northern Soul records of all time.

Sleep safe Frank.

Ian G

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

A sad day, I too saw him at The Cala Gran in 2000 and he was the perfect gentleman

A wonderful talent.

RIP Frank

Managed to get my top 500 book signed by him just behind Kenny Burell when he had Do i love you autographed by him, which he let me have my photo took with it a day i will always remember A gentleman who i dont think realised how much the song,meant to so many,R.I.P..

Social source share

Yes... I was there that night too... it was amazing hearing that record and, if memory serves me correctly, it wasn't too long before it was played again that night. It was one of those special moments that I'll remember as long as my brain lets me.

Once again, thanks for all your music Mr Wilson.

Yes it was repeated during the nighter..with you on the special moments :wink: Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest Soul Glo

rip frank

imagine do i love you at stoke - what a tribute that could be!!!!

someones gotta play it - chris king i bet..

That would be a lovely idea. RIP Mr Wilson.

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

When I sent a friend request to him on Facebook he sent me message back saying that he noticed I was from Blackpool and how much he enjoyed appearing at The Cala Gran Weekender a few years back. A real gentleman RIP Frank.

Social source share

A close friend who wrote the foreword to my book. He appeared for me at the Cala Gran Weekender in 2000 and performed in our Do I Love You karaoke competition at SoultripUSA 2004 in Los Angeles.

A master songwriter and producer, he had a wicked sense of humour who called Berry Gordy and handed me the phone.....the one moment in my career I will never forget.

God bless you Frank....

Kev

Kev , would nice if you could pass on all the messages on this thread to Frank's family .
Social source share

Sorry to hear this sad news. Frank passed away after a long battle with prostrate cancer.

So many magnificent pieces of work from this fantastic producer.

To hear him at his very best, take a moment to listen to the Four Tops 'Still Water' to hear a genius at work.

Seminal music that will live on forever.

RIP

Sean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ToR5YyBdQ

couldn't agree more and what a fabulous tune in this moment of reflection and appreciation of all things Frank Wilson
Social source share

Guest dave nowell

A legend and a real gentleman. Great memories of him at the Cala Gran with Kenny Burrell and his copy of Frank's Soul single. Surreal moment. What a show there too, DILY, My Sugar Baby etc with Snake Davis live. Took the roof off - and he didn't consider himself a performer! God bless Frank.

Edited by dave nowell
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!