News: Soul Power - Don Letts Subculture Films Online

Mike

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

wow, the northern section fails on so many counts.

Roll out the same old talking heads to discuss a northern youth scene when they're southern based, a few new ones who have read about it but know little else, such as the daft comment about it didn't hit the mainstream because they played the b-sides (lol), half of them are too young to have ever been a part of it anyway, Why not easily find people that were there apart from RW rather than a load of revisionists. Perhaps Sir Norman should have turned the page when reading Russ's playlists and read what Dave Godin had to say. One frame it was about dressing up, then soon after the south was about dressing up which is what made it different from the north, make your minds up!

Sack the researcher.

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Raised a thread on SS this year, when it was first shown on E4 - during June 2012, as part of the 6 mini 15 minute episodes.

Thanks for re posting this link.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Sack the researcher.

Did they not approach this forum during 2010 :g:.

The exclusion of the Highland Room is rather laughable, and poorly sited, but then it must of been so far in front off it's self, it had not left the Scottish, the midland's or even the north of England's council estates. :lol:

Did the north not have a credited Jazz/Funk scene - Yes ?

:D .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

I think the inclusion of Phill Jupitus says it all, that said I haven't yet seen it, and I have to say I can listen to Robert Elms any time of the day..

I think the thing with these shows is the format they insist on sticking to, ok its its an archive heavy factual programme made from a diminishing pool of original content, which can only generally be illustrated with a splattering of talking heads, but if you want to see how well a programme of this genre can be made, look no further that Flame TV's ' Pump up the Volume' commissioned by channel four back in 2001/2, without doubt the best series on a scene I've seen.

I think something along the lines of actually following some people to a nighter, with the history running parallel says allot more the viewer, there are tons of ways you can tell the story make it allot more engaging.

You can pretty much guarantee they didn't bother thinking about that, and stuck to the same old..

Social source share

just watched some of this, it aint half bad.... but what the hell is Phil Jupitus wearing btw?

if I'd have done it I'd have gone to a decent nighter and interviewed people there, and outside the venue, then cut the relevant 'History' in.. make sure the presenter is seen having a drink, and in the receipt of some nice records, then at least well know he made an effort...

Social source share

Norman Jay use 'go to Wigan and has long featured Northern tracks on his comps, Phil Jupitus might not have been a Soul Boy but he is an Essex lad who grew up in Stanford le Hope Nr Basildon ,but is probably better qualified to comment on the Ska/Skinhead film. Elms dismissive attitude to the North was voiced in The Face way back but he is right about the scene being over looked by the music press snobs. , but for a less polarised view they could have done a lot worse than Stuart Cosgrove.(Or Colin Curtis ..) There were many of us from Essex and the South who comftably bridged Jazz Funk and Northern /Rare Soul with no hang ups , were neither 'Northern' anoraks nor Essex Tories.Norman Jay perfectly summed up what we were about really. Good Times indeed. Keep the Faith. Cool Notes

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!