Articles: Frank Wilson - The Story of Do I Love You (Indeed I do)

Andy Rix

Guest manusf3a

Brilliant,loved the part about how taking part in the sit in during the civi; rights protest era led to Frank going to Los Angeles as he had lost the chance of his scholarship.This just makes the record even more soulful knowing the man behind it just that little bit more.If he hadnt been willing to put himself on the line for what is right then maybe there would never have been such contributions as he made to soul music.Well done Andy for bringing to attention these things.

Social source share

good read...so frank recorded under the name sonny daye..would that be the same sonny 'dave' daye that released merry go round on ring-o?..or would the dave have been added to distinguish this sonny from franks?

dean

No! Sonny "DavE" Day was a Pittsburgh "Blue eyed Soul" and Novelty/pop singer, who did much of his recording in New York. Ring-O was a New York label with Al Oliver on A&R. He also recorded the novelty song, "Tarzan", released on Jubilee Records, also recorded in New York. frank Wilson did all his recording as Sonny Daye in Los Angeles. And his voice is much deeper and richer than Sonny Dave Daye's.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Thank you all for your comments

Maybe I should have expanded the article to talk about Frank's life.

That is maybe something I should do when time permits.

That aside I appreciate the fact that it has been of interest

Regards

Andy Rix

Hi Andy hope you're o.k mate i really enjoyed Your piece on Frank Wilson as per usual your impecable information .see you around mate simon (hunt) !!!!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

thats the best reading i have had in ages ,i picked up the record for kb.that was an experiance itself for me .also i took him on the pepsi max on return to edinburgh .kb asked what would i have done if i dropped it . my response there would only be one .....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 10/3/2012 at 08:52, spacehopper said:

good read...so frank recorded under the name sonny daye..would that be the same sonny 'dave' daye that released merry go round on ring-o?..or would the dave have been added to distinguish this sonny from franks?

dean

No.  There were several Sonny Dayes.  I believe that the one on Ring-O was an East Coaster.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

from last year

B-4 'Do I Love You' and After

NEW INSIGHTS INTO FRANK WILSON’S MASTERWORK by Adam White

A thorough backstory about “Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)” was written nine years ago by Andy Rix, with recollections from Wilson himself, among others. Even so, some key facts were missing – which have now come to light through the prism of paperwork obtained by musicologist Andrew Flory, author of the essential I Hear A Symphony: Motown and Crossover R&B. The document is a “B-4,” used to log details of recording sessions undertaken by members of the American Federation of Musicians, such as those who played on “Do I Love You (Indeed I Do).” So now, indeed, there is more to know about this moment in Motown history....

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/2018/7/13/frank-assessment-anew

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Wow ! Great article to read. Again and again and deeper at some stages. Particularly for me is that explanation bit with the story for the 1979 TMG release at Abbey Road Studio comparing the tape sent from Motown and the Eddie Foster boot whose sound had been lifted off from an original SOUL copy. My gut feeling was right but now I know the insight of it.

Social source share

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Moutton Noir said:

A fascinating read. I had no idea that Glen Campbell was a session player on the record or that Patrice & Brenda were on backing vocals. That really is a winning combination. It's kinda ironic that one of the best examples of the mid 60s Motown sound was actually recorded in California! 

Motown by name but not the typical Motown sound,nothing like what was being recorded in detroit by the Funk Brothers.The strings arrangement sounds more like what Fred Smith would have done at Keyman/Mirwood than what Paul Riser would have done with members of the DSO. This is very much a west coast recording. 

Social source share

6 hours ago, Moutton Noir said:

A fascinating read. I had no idea that Glen Campbell was a session player on the record or that Patrice & Brenda were on backing vocals. That really is a winning combination. It's kinda ironic that one of the best examples of the mid 60s Motown sound was actually recorded in California! 

He wasn't if you read the union session card which is more accurate than unfounded rumours. Arthur Wright or Anthony Tony Matthews were the probable guitarists.  Neither was Carol Kay on bass.  Much of what she has said has been disproved.

Read Adam White's blog for more details, the link was posted by Mike a few posts above in 2019 and the session card is below.

309714741_10160423286159859_3799078654696286054_n.jpg.9c9a8e1a5c9bc4e1fe837f6a3530f247.jpg

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

He wasn't if you read the union session card which is more accurate than unfounded rumours. Arthur Wright or Anthony Tony Matthews were the probable guitarists.  Neither was Carol Kay on bass.  Much of what she has said has been disproved.

Read Adam White's blog for more details, the link was posted by Mike a few posts above in 2019 and the session card is below.eral

309714741_10160423286159859_3799078654696286054_n.jpg.9c9a8e1a5c9bc4e1fe837f6a3530f247.jpg

I have also read several articles Karl where Carol Kay has exaggerated on the truth.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!